Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

credburn posted:

I loved Trackmania, the first one. Then over the years there's been just like a dozen iterations of it. I wanted to get back into it a while ago but felt kind of overwhelmed. Is there now a sort of GaaS version?

Yeah the current one is free to play the most basic stuff but subscribe to get more stuff. It's all the stadium environment though.

Sunrise was the best :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
GOW Ragnarok is a lot of fun, but there's one big pain in the rear end if you're not the right level. If you are way under leveled against an enemy their health bar will be red, you will basically do no damage, and likely die in 2 hits. Tough but fair. If you are below the level the enemy bar is purple, but with decent skill you can tough it out. Cool. This is probably where I spent a fair amount of my time, challenging optional enemies maybe a little ahead of time. And by and large it's ok. Either I'd win after a few attempts, or decide that I need to try again later and then come back with better armor/more levels.

This game has a mechanic where you can buy resurrection stones, which, as long as you have a companion with you, you can get back up with half health when you die. There's a short window to hit square to start the action, or let it go and choose to continue from the beginning instead. Cool, a quick second chance if you are close to beating this boss. And I like those battles, even when I lose, as long as it's within a few hits or dodges, because I know I can get there eventually.

Except one Dark Elf bastard, and his 2 minion friends.

The Dark Elf chiefs have an ability where they will back up, out of your attack range, and shoot three grenades at your feet. You can't counter this, only dodge. Not a huge deal, but annoying as you are learning patterns or dealing with other minions. Remember that resurrection I mentioned above? It happens in "real time", meaning that while you are on the ground getting healed, enemies are able to move around, taunt, and attack. And without fail, this son of a bitch would throw a grenade at my feet every time. So now, queue a montage of fighting, dying, resurrecting, and getting immediately blown up, because there literally is not enough time to do anything between get on your feet and the explosion.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I like that the Mario RPGs have humor front and center, but sometimes they lean into stuff that just seems intended to annoy you. I'm onto Bowser's Inside Story now, and there's one bit where a character tells you that something's gonna take a while, and then it does: there's literally nothing you can do while a very slow animation plays out for over four minutes straight. Usually when they go for a time wasting gag, the punchline will be ending it early so you don't actually have to sit through it, but this one doesn't even have the mercy to do that :arghfist::sigh:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Tried playing Yakuza Zero last night, got 2 hours into it, and came back to it this morning to discover that no, I had not progressed far enough to have generated any kind of autosave or to have encountered a savepoint.

I remember liking it the first time I played it, but gently caress games that don't respect your time.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Yakuza 0 doesn't have an autosave. You save at phonebooths.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I like that the Mario RPGs have humor front and center, but sometimes they lean into stuff that just seems intended to annoy you. I'm onto Bowser's Inside Story now, and there's one bit where a character tells you that something's gonna take a while, and then it does: there's literally nothing you can do while a very slow animation plays out for over four minutes straight. Usually when they go for a time wasting gag, the punchline will be ending it early so you don't actually have to sit through it, but this one doesn't even have the mercy to do that :arghfist::sigh:

There's a way to speed it up but I sure didn't find out about it the first time I played the game.

kazil posted:

Yeah, Yakuza 0 and Nier Automata are kinda like cars in that you've gotta put them it in park before you walk away.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

There's a way to speed it up but I sure didn't find out about it the first time I played the game.

I've been playing the game since it came out, and I never saw that :negative:

Although I can imagine myself finding it and writing it down out of curiosity, then spending the full sequence trying to remember where I put my note once it eventually comes up in the game.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

kazil posted:

Woulda been nice if one had been available somewhere between the interminable early game cutscenes.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Breetai posted:

Woulda been nice if one had been available somewhere between the interminable early game cutscenes.

Long boring intros is kinda Yakuza's thing

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Never sit down to start or end a Yakuza game if you don’t have 3-5 hours free

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

kazil posted:

lol

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

RandolphCarter posted:

Never sit down to start or end a Yakuza game if you don’t have 3-5 hours free

Breetai posted:

gently caress games that don't respect your time.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hopefully this experience does not sour you on one of the finest games series' ever made, although i also kinda hope it does because that would be very funny

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Games with no manual save make me nervous in the same way that games with no auto-save make others nervous. :kiddo:

A very old Tumblr post I once found posted:

Me: Alright let's save the game now
Me:
Me:
Me:
Me: Did I save
Me:
Me: Let's save again just in case

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I just leave my console in rest mode and send a prayer up that everything works out. It usually does.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

You'll probably miss it if you dont know the game doesnt autosave, but I feel I should probably mention theres a phone booth (marked with an S for Savepoint) directly in front of you literally as soon as you have control of Kiryu in Yakuza Zero, and while you dont have full access to the city at that point, you can reach a few others before you get the "Go to Dojima HQ" objective.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

SiKboy posted:

You'll probably miss it if you dont know the game doesnt autosave, but I feel I should probably mention theres a phone booth (marked with an S for Savepoint) directly in front of you literally as soon as you have control of Kiryu in Yakuza Zero, and while you dont have full access to the city at that point, you can reach a few others before you get the "Go to Dojima HQ" objective.

There's a bit in the intro where you are directed to use a telephone booth in order to progress the plot (it's the dojima captains telling you to come in and face the music).

Guess what using that booth doesn't do.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, Yakuza 0 and Nier Automata are kinda like cars in that you've gotta put them it in park before you walk away.

I can't remember if Yakuza 0 does this, but there are multiple characters in the first camp in Nier Automata who very emphatically and repeatedly remind you that there is no autosave. At least it has the decency to make saving very fast and easy though.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

RandolphCarter posted:

I just leave my console in rest mode and send a prayer up that everything works out. It usually does.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’m half working on a game in my free time where the game is you saving your game repeatedly.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I only quicksave when I'm a moment away from getting shot with a sniper round

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

oldpainless posted:

I’m half working on a game in my free time where the game is you saving your game repeatedly.

Can you add a "respects my time" slider in the options that increases autosave frequency please?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

kazil posted:

Can you add a "respects my time" slider in the options that increases autosave frequency please?

DLC

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I swear I remember Yakuza 0 having a no auto save splash screen but I just launched the game to double check and did not get one

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

real yakuza use a phonebooth

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Since we're on Yakuza talk, someone here shared with me the Yakuza stage play, which is absolutely loving amazing and has incredible fight choreography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBh0VLDb2bU

Part 2 also exists, but its subtitles were done by someone else and they're mostly okay, but sometimes just super bizarre and just plain incorrect ha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXQvw_jKQsk

I brought a bunch of friends over and we watched this last night. What a great play! The stage design is off the loving wall. I wish I could have seen this in person.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
It was really cool the first time I played Yakuza 0 and my computer went into sleep mode 3/4 of the way through the intro, breaking the game.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

real yakuza use a phonebooth

Lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Red Minjo posted:

It was really cool the first time I played Yakuza 0 and my computer went into sleep mode 3/4 of the way through the intro, breaking the game.

Similarly, I gave up on trying to play MGS4 using Sony's streaming service because it times out and kicks you out during any number of cutscenes :rip:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

CzarChasm posted:

GOW Ragnarok is a lot of fun, but there's one big pain in the rear end if you're not the right level. If you are way under leveled against an enemy their health bar will be red, you will basically do no damage, and likely die in 2 hits. Tough but fair. If you are below the level the enemy bar is purple, but with decent skill you can tough it out. Cool. This is probably where I spent a fair amount of my time, challenging optional enemies maybe a little ahead of time. And by and large it's ok. Either I'd win after a few attempts, or decide that I need to try again later and then come back with better armor/more levels.

This game has a mechanic where you can buy resurrection stones, which, as long as you have a companion with you, you can get back up with half health when you die. There's a short window to hit square to start the action, or let it go and choose to continue from the beginning instead. Cool, a quick second chance if you are close to beating this boss. And I like those battles, even when I lose, as long as it's within a few hits or dodges, because I know I can get there eventually.

Except one Dark Elf bastard, and his 2 minion friends.

The Dark Elf chiefs have an ability where they will back up, out of your attack range, and shoot three grenades at your feet. You can't counter this, only dodge. Not a huge deal, but annoying as you are learning patterns or dealing with other minions. Remember that resurrection I mentioned above? It happens in "real time", meaning that while you are on the ground getting healed, enemies are able to move around, taunt, and attack. And without fail, this son of a bitch would throw a grenade at my feet every time. So now, queue a montage of fighting, dying, resurrecting, and getting immediately blown up, because there literally is not enough time to do anything between get on your feet and the explosion.

The key to dark elves is to put your weapons away and punch the hell out of them. Builds up stun a lot faster which really helps.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

John Murdoch posted:

The silenced grenade was from Payday 2.

You could, with the aforementioned glitch, silence grenade launchers in MGSV though! And rockets. Hitting a whole camp with silenced sleepy rockets was a fun experience.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

IIRC it was a glitch you do in msgv, and then payday made it an actual thing as a joke from that

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On the one hand, I got the hang of returning torpedoes and depth charges to sender in Maneater. On the other hand, even with this and the new atomic mutations, the new hunter ships in the Truth Quest expansion have far too much health.

And while the narrator was charming in the base game, I think he talks way, way too much now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A problem I'm having with PowerWash Simulator is that it feels extremely inconsistent in how much you have to clean for something to be marked clean. So like some stuff you have to go over every inch and get all the dirt while others can have large chunks that are still clearly dirty that just all of a sudden vanishes. It seems like it is supposed to be proportional but it doesn't feel like it sometimes.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Redezga posted:

I can't remember if Yakuza 0 does this, but there are multiple characters in the first camp in Nier Automata who very emphatically and repeatedly remind you that there is no autosave. At least it has the decency to make saving very fast and easy though.

When you start Automata the game literally says "By the way there is no autosave and you wont be able to save until after the tutorial section" and then people pick the hardest difficulty and get mad when they die and have to start all over again.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

IIRC the fact that you haven't saved during the tilutorial is a plot point.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Read After Burning posted:

Games with no manual save make me nervous in the same way that games with no auto-save make others nervous. :kiddo:

:same:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Redezga posted:

Automata's the only popular game I can remember that doesn't have auto save

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I dunno, I've heard Yakuza 0 doesn't have autosaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nani?