Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I wish they got Caitlin Jenner to talk at the conference. One of the most relevent republican celeberties right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GMEEOORH posted:

It always surprises me how quickly progressives become willing to weaponize lovely gay stereotypes when the target is a conservative.

I'm sorry but if you don't think that Lindsay Graham, the man who hates LGBT anything with a passion and is a total shitbag, consistently acting like a giant gay stereotype is really funny then you're wrong.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

beatlegs posted:

These "Liberal goes on FOX and destroys X" stories always make me depressed & disappointed that any sensible person would agree to appear on that loving channel.

I have wondered why anyone who is aware of that channel existing as super-Republican propaganda that revels in angering angering and mocking anyone of color or left of Mussolini to show off to their viewers ever agrees to show up there. No matter what they say, it'll be framed in such a way as to support the disgusting views the channel stands for.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Geostomp posted:

I have wondered why anyone who is aware of that channel existing as super-Republican propaganda that revels in angering angering and mocking anyone of color or left of Mussolini to show off to their viewers ever agrees to show up there. No matter what they say, it'll be framed in such a way as to support the disgusting views the channel stands for.

Maybe they are the famed crisis actors or interns no one likes that I keep hearing about.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

GMEEOORH posted:

It always surprises me how quickly progressives become willing to weaponize lovely gay stereotypes when the target is a conservative.

:raise:

I don't think you understood what he said because you were to busy playing "gotcha"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Nevvy Z posted:

:raise:

I don't think you understood what he said because you were to busy playing "gotcha"

He is right though. "Sounds gay" is a way of perpetuating homosexuals as an other who can be easily identified as abnormal by their deviance from an expected "straight" set of behaviors.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He is right though. "Sounds gay" is a way of perpetuating homosexuals as an other who can be easily identified as abnormal by their deviance from an expected "straight" set of behaviors.

I was looking for a way to express why it doesn't make sense to say he sounds gay, and this is it

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Rhjamiz posted:

I always get depressed because any time any youtube video or clip is phrased in such a way, it is never ever true. It's always a grossly generous take on the actual exchange.

Like, maybe I have a high standard for what constitutes "destroying" an argument but it's never going to be "two people disagree and then FOX gets the last word". I expect someone to be left completely speechless, or if it's O'Reilly, for them to just storm off in a rage.
Yeah it's always some talking head "owning" some far right nutjob by... stating a fact, and when the nutjob simply replies "well, you can prove anything with 'facts' can't you, and anyway I choose not to believe those facts" (or something like that), the talking head... just moves on to the next topic on his little list.

That said:

Radish posted:

The best was when those dudes refuted O'Reilly's typical bad argument and when he couldn't respond well they kept saying "you maaaaad!" which made him even madder. That was a destroying.
Gonna need to see a video of this.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Kilroy posted:

Gonna need to see a video of this.

Best part is its loving Cam'ron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB5J_xzjTrc

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The money stuff is at 6 minutes in when O'Reilly tries to bully them with trap questions and it doesn't go his way.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

GMEEOORH posted:

Why do you think being gay is a bad thing?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Cugel the Clever posted:

Why do you think being gay is a bad thing?

It is when you explicitly use it as a criticism

You can't go "he sounds gay" as a criticism and then go "whoa no one said being gay is bad" when someone calls you on it

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You can't go "he sounds gay" as a criticism and then go "whoa no one said being gay is bad" when someone calls you on it
he didn't use "he sounds gay" as a criticism

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Isn't he just going "I suspect him of being a self-loathing, repressed gay person, which is a shame?"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

Holy poo poo. I've never actually heard Tebow speak—his accent sets off my gaydar, but not strongly enough to be sure it's not a false positive. It's a shame his zealotry will likely keep him too repressed from expressing who he is.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Harsh criticism right here.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Geostomp posted:

Because money.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kilroy posted:

he didn't use being or "sounding gay" as a criticism

He was trying nullify the idea of a speaker by alluding to the fact he was speaking in a way that struck him as "gay" and that it potentially meant he was repressed

That is the definition of a criticsm

Castomira posted:

Isn't he just going "I suspect him of being a self-loathing, repressed gay person, which is a shame?"

Yeah, and its hosed to use the label of "self-loathing, repressed gay person" on an opponent. Taking a person's sexuality or assumed sexuality and using it as a tool to argue with is a backwards thing to do regardless of how much hedging and sympathy you put behind it.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 15, 2016

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He was trying nullify the idea of a speaker by alluding to the fact he was speaking in a way that struck him as "gay" and that it potentially meant he was repressed

That is the definition of a criticsm
He said nothing about the content of his speech in that post or any other post.

It always surprises me how quickly conservatives become lovely concern trolls when the target is a progressive.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Oh wait that doesn't surprise me at all because they've been doing that before "concern troll" was a defined thing.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kilroy posted:

It always surprises me how quickly conservatives

What makes you think I am a conservative at all?

Saying that even if you are strongly pro-gay and sympathetic to gay issues and rights its still not a good idea to use identity as a method to respond to an opponent doesn't make someone a secret underground conservative concern troll.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
who gives a poo poo Mel Mudkiper

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Saying that even if you are strongly pro-gay and sympathetic to gay issues and rights its still not a good idea to use identity as a method to respond to an opponent doesn't make someone a secret underground conservative concern troll.
it raises the odds though

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 15, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kilroy posted:

who gives a poo poo Mel Mudkiper

Um...

Kilroy posted:

He said nothing about the content of his speech in that post or any other post.

It always surprises me how quickly conservatives become lovely concern trolls when the target is a progressive.

Kilroy posted:

Oh wait that doesn't surprise me at all because they've been doing that before "concern troll" was a defined thing.

Kilroy posted:

he didn't use "he sounds gay" as a criticism

...you?

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, and its hosed to use the label of "self-loathing, repressed gay person" on an opponent. Taking a person's sexuality or assumed sexuality and using it as a tool to argue with is a backwards thing to do regardless of how much hedging and sympathy you put behind it.
Uhh, I have zero opinions about Tim Tebow whatsoever, and I, too, think it would be a shame if he were, in fact, being made to suppress his sexuality.

I honestly don't think I care if that's "backwards." It's a lovely place to be, and I've seen what it's done to people.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
no I meant who gives a poo poo about your dumb posts

I guess if defending another poster from your dumb concern trolls with one-liner poo poo posts means a give a poo poo, then I give a poo poo (but it does not)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Mr Interweb posted:

Has Tim Tebow done anything as impressive as scoring four touchdowns in a single game?

Tebow sucked in the pros, but was one of the top 10 college players of all time, probably.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kilroy posted:

I guess if defending another poster from your dumb concern trolls with one-liner poo poo posts means a give a poo poo, then I give a poo poo (but it does not)

Seriously, what makes thinking using sexuality as a tool to respond to an opponent is a bad thing to do a concern troll other than the fact you don't like admitting that maybe, despite absolute good intentions, people might say something that in hindsight was not the best thing to say?

If you disagree with me, ok. Don't turn me into some stealth conservative boogie-man just because I am taking a position different to yours.

Castomira posted:

Uhh, I have zero opinions about Tim Tebow whatsoever, and I, too, think it would be a shame if he were, in fact, being made to suppress his sexuality.

Yeah it would be a shame, but that isn't the point. The point is that its not fair to use assumptions about someones sexuality as a method of responding to their ideas.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Seriously, what makes thinking using sexuality as a tool to respond to an opponent is a bad thing to do a concern troll other than the fact you don't like admitting that maybe, despite absolute good intentions, people might say something that in hindsight was not the best thing to say?

If you disagree with me, ok. Don't turn me into some stealth conservative boogie-man just because I am taking a position different to yours.
I disagree with your premise, is the thing, and furthermore the fact that you have that premise in the first place is what leads me to suspect your motives.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Everyone's missing the point that Tebow is lovely because he filmed a Focus on the Family ad with his mom where he was like "Man, mom, I'm super glad you didn't abort me" with the implication that the women who get abortions are terrible people.

Everything else about him is totally fine, but being an advocate for a lovely pro life group is lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqReTDJSdhE

E: Okay, it's not quite as blatant as I made it seem, but gently caress Focus on the Family anyway.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Kilroy posted:

Again, you apparently.

Even if it wasn't done as a criticism, it's still really gross and weird to speculate on someone else's sexuality. That's kind of a private thing, guys.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

Again, you apparently.

Even if it wasn't done as a criticism, it's still really gross and weird to speculate on someone else's sexuality. That's kind of a private thing, guys.

Yeah pretty much

Kilroy posted:

I disagree with your premise, is the thing, and furthermore the fact that you have that premise in the first place is what leads me to suspect your motives.

Someone taking a leftist position different from yours is a sign to suspect they are a troll? Do you honestly consider your own opinions the objective baserock of leftism that cannot be authentically deviated from?

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 15, 2016

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah it would be a shame, but that isn't the point. The point is that its not fair to use assumptions about someones sexuality as a method of responding to their ideas.
What idea? The idea that Tim Tebow isn't going to speak at the RNC?

I find myself agreeing with your argument, while simultaneously feeling like it had absolutely nothing to do with the post you were criticizing.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Castomira posted:

What idea? The idea that Tim Tebow isn't going to speak at the RNC?

I find myself agreeing with your argument, while simultaneously feeling like it had absolutely nothing to do with the post you were criticizing.

Tim Tebow is a famous religious conservative with strong ties to anti-gay activism. Listening to him speak and going "hrm this is kind of setting off my gaydar" is a way of circumventing responding to how toxic his ideas are by speculating directly about his identity. Whether Tebow is gay or straight is irrelevant to the more important issue of how bad and unjustifiable the things he argues for are. I have the same issue when people use Milo's identity as something to respond to, or question the legitimacy of his identity.

The sexual identity of an opponent, whether objective or speculative, should be off-limits in my opinion. Allowing sexual identity to factor into how we respond to an opponent gives power to the social forces that treat gay people as an "other". Even if you are doing it with the best intentions, or as a throw away comment, you are still participating in a narrative that has historically been used to de-humanize gays and we should try to avoid it.

I am not saying speculating about Tebow's sexual identity is a deliberate and malicious attempt to attack him for being gay. I am saying using assumptions about his sexuality empowers harmful ideas about gays in the public discourse.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I watched a documentary once about self loathing, probably gay, politicians and the men who loved (banged) them. It was really interesting on one hand. A lot of these guys had especially harsh voting records on gay issues compared to other conservatives. On the other hand, it felt a little dirty that some of these lovers were outing the politicians. But back to the other hand again, these guys were pretty terrible. But then again...

Anyway, poking at someone's way of talking to out them is middle school level stupid.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Fluffdaddy posted:

Expand on that. What has he done other than be bad in the pros and lights out in college?

Mel used to be a Broncos fan.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

Mel used to be a Broncos fan.

I am kind of defending Tebow right now and it's killing me inside

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
:gb2gbs: Tim Tebow is rad as gently caress and ya'll h8ers can suck the poo poo out of my rear end in a top hat. :gb2gbs:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I am pretty comfortable saying that, FOR AN NFL PLAYER, Tim Tebow was a decent guy. I hate him because I had to talk about how he was a bad QB every time I went home for 5 years because many, many casual and semi-casual fans were delusional on that score.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
So what's everyone's opinion on th RBG "gaffe"? I feel like, again, the left is devouring it's own again by joining in the critique.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bast Relief posted:

So what's everyone's opinion on th RBG "gaffe"? I feel like, again, the left is devouring it's own again by joining in the critique.

Objectively, a judge should not be giving statements like that about a presidential candidate.

Subjectively, Trump is such a uniquely dangerous candidate that I think every person in a position of public authority has a moral responsibility to use that authority to condemn him and the danger of his rhetoric.

Should a judge criticize a presidential candidate? No. Should a judge criticize Trump? Abso-loving-lutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
What's wrong with pointing out that a swishy guy is gay? As Dan Savage (PBUH) righteously said, "Not all gay men are sissies, but sissy men are overwhelmingly gay." It's part of a longstanding tradition of signaling your sexual interest/intent while also maintaining plausible deniability in places where being gay isn't safe. Like the tearoom trade it's becoming less common (certainly less necessary) with the rise of gay rights. But so what?