Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
Not so much "different", as "like a Velocity, but with an Audi car engine".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Neb have you ever been to the Zeppelin Museum in Friedrichshafen? I went in 2008 and I remember it being pretty great, albeit small.

No, sadly. One day.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
:stare:

https://onemileatatime.com/news/pilot-testimony-american-airlines-flight/

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

wzm posted:

Not so much "different", as "like a Velocity, but with an Audi car engine".

who is he building this for lmao

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Well okay so it's not just the passengers going off the deep end in the US these days.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Midjack posted:

Well okay so it's not just the passengers going off the deep end in the US these days.

"Now that the doors have been closed and you're all a captive audience...have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior?"

Talk about a valid exit door procedure if I've ever heard one. :gonk:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
E:FB

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 8, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

On a sheet of paper, it’s a huge, attractive upgrade. The Audi engine puts out a ton more power, and should be less fiddly to fly, since the ECU manages the engine for you. I’d imagine he just has a throttle and a prop lever.

On the ramp, it’s a loving disaster, for all the reasons that have become obvious to us.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

I think at one point he said the goal is Cirrus performance but much cheaper.

So I guess by inference the target market is Cirrus people who are cheap?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

MrYenko posted:

On a sheet of paper, it’s a huge, attractive upgrade. The Audi engine puts out a ton more power, and should be less fiddly to fly, since the ECU manages the engine for you. I’d imagine he just has a throttle and a prop lever.

On the ramp, it’s a loving disaster, for all the reasons that have become obvious to us.

I would have a lot of questions about the ECU (and general engine) operation in the temp and pressure bands that aircraft is supposed to operate in. The Audi engineers just would even be thinking about those conditions.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

So I guess by inference the target market is Cirrus people who are cheap?

“I’m a Cirrus guy, but on the cheap” sounds like a checkbox for being instantly denied the option to buy life insurance coverage.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

https://web.archive.org/web/20201113202245/http://www.raptor-aircraft.com/

"It's a luxury SUV for the sky."

It was being pitched at the kind of person who could read this:

https://web.archive.org/web/20201113223240/http://www.raptor-aircraft.com/design.html

and not laugh themselves senseless over his claims about area ruling and so forth. He literally believed he was going to smoke the SR22's aerodynamics as a first-time airplane designer.

So, Raptor was supposed to do 300KTAS at 25K feet. This is the accident flight:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N352TD/history/20210806/1122Z/KMHK/L%2040.62667%20-97.67139/tracklog

The height/speed graph is telling. What he actually built is an overweight (and likely draggy) hippo of an airframe which struggles to climb because he doesn't understand how to design cooling induction/flow /exhaust or twin turbos. (Worse than doesn't understand, really, he actively resisted advice from people who do understand those topics.)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

From kathrynsreport:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BobHoward posted:

The height/speed graph is telling. What he actually built is an overweight (and likely draggy) hippo of an airframe which struggles to climb because he doesn't understand how to design cooling induction/flow /exhaust or twin turbos. (Worse than doesn't understand, really, he actively resisted advice from people who do understand those topics.)

Kind of the Zybourne Clock of personal aircraft

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’m the dribble of engine oil leaking between the cowling seams. That thing let go in a major way.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is that the one that uses the Audi engine?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Nebakenezzer posted:

Kind of the Zybourne Clock of personal aircraft

Imagine 3 temperature needles on the edge of the green. Push one of them off of the green. My engine works the same way.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

priznat posted:

Is that the one that uses the Audi engine?

Yes, and he gets his engines from junkyards because they're out of production and Audi never sold it as a crate engine anyways.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

This is the best ending possible.

edit: almost

Godholio fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 9, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

The best ending possible would have broken the spar or had a post-evacuation fire. Unfortunately, that’s rebuildable, so he gets another shot at offing himself.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Godholio posted:

"ending" is optimistic

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BobHoward posted:

Yes, and he gets his engines from junkyards because they're out of production and Audi never sold it as a crate engine anyways.

:stare: jesus christ. I guess the only surprise here is that the end result here was fatality-free.

e: so far

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

priznat posted:

:stare: jesus christ. I guess the only surprise here is that the end result here was fatality-free.

e: so far

Fatality-free, but the test program is young.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
What are the odds that he attempts to rebuild and refly the wreckage rather than starting again?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Thomamelas posted:

What are the odds that he attempts to rebuild and refly the wreckage rather than starting again?

110%.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

BobHoward posted:

It was being pitched at the kind of person who could read this:

https://web.archive.org/web/20201113223240/http://www.raptor-aircraft.com/design.html

and not laugh themselves senseless over his claims about area ruling and so forth. He literally believed he was going to smoke the SR22's aerodynamics as a first-time airplane designer.

lmfao. So buddy fancies himself an aerodynamicist but doesn't seem to realize that the area rule is only applicable in the transonic regime? Even if he managed to hit 300 knots true at 25,000 feet, Mach 1 up there is just over 600 knots. At Mach 0.48 absolutely none of the air around the plane is going to become locally supersonic, which is the key factor in the onset of the wave drag that area ruling aims to prevent. No poo poo the SR22 isn't area ruled! It's completely irrelevant in its flight envelope.

This guy has the biggest case of Engineer Brain on the planet.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 9, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You're just jealous that you didn't look up random aeronautical terms on wikipedia and put them on a website like he did.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cojawfee posted:

You're just jealous that you didn't look up random aeronautical terms on wikipedia and put them on a website like he did.

DISRUPTIVE

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

I assume he now has to pay up for the corn crop he just destroyed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

coldpudding posted:

I assume he now has to pay up for the corn crop he just destroyed.

some insurance company will, either the farmer's or his

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

MrYenko posted:

DISRUPTIVE

“It’s those unscheduled cornfield and housing development stops that seem to interrupt the flow of my day!” - George Carlin

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Raptor guy is truly the kind of trash fire that you can't look away from. I just hope he doesn't kill anyone who has the bad luck of being at the location where he'll crash...

Can't wait for the next installment of a non-fatal crash or dramatic mechanical failure.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Is there a cliffs or tl;dr about Raptor guy? I'm not sure I know much about it.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

slidebite posted:

Is there a cliffs or tl;dr about Raptor guy? I'm not sure I know much about it.

some idiot is building a conversion of a kit plane and at every turn, resists taking advice from people who know better, posts everything on youtube. it's a slow motion plane crash, though now he's got 1 regular speed crash under his belt.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Regarding Jerry and Raptor guy

Venkman: Oh wonderful, we have to get these two together

Egon: I think that would be extraordinarily dangerous

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think the posts about him start here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3276654&pagenumber=1798&perpage=40#post508848721

I don't think anyone has a cliff's notes version yet so here it is:

- He is trying to build a plane that performs like a Cirrus but costs much less

- I believe he's mostly funded development himself but also takes "down payments" from "investors" like a kickstarter or whatever

- It's basically a Velocity XL (existing kit design) airframe with his own modifications, the biggest one being an Audi automobile diesel engine instead of a more traditional aviation engine

- He gets these engines from junkyards because Audi never sold it by itself -- only in cars

- He has hosed up the powerplant design and installation in multiple ways, most notably installing the twin turbochargers backwards (!) so that the intake is choked and the engine rapidly overheats

- Multiple people, including a real Audi engineer who worked on that specific engine, have told him that he's doing it wrong and it's going to blow up, but he ignores them (terminal dunning-kruger brain)

- The rest of the plane also shows generally shoddy workmanship, like bent actuator rods for the landing gear ("they all came that way") and obvious rough machining marks on his propeller drive pulleys, in line with him trying to do everything on the cheap

- He originally had hired a crew of test pilots to help him do the flight testing, but he fired them all after they gave him what he thought was too many changes to make before they'd get in the plane

- As a result he has been doing the flight testing himself, though people have been begging him to sort out the engine problems before taking to the air

- In the flight test videos the plane has displayed a lack of power (because the turbochargers are installed backwards), serious overheating issues (ibid) and some really troubling oscillations, though it's unclear if the oscillations are due to fundamental weight and balance issues or a lack of pilot skill -- he says it's turbulence from the landing gear (it isn't)

- He has only been flying lazy patterns around his home airport in Arkansas(?) but recently decided to fly to Idaho for some reason associated with money and investors; on this flight the propeller drive fell apart because he reused a $1 single-use lock washer and he crashed in a cornfield, but survived

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

oh gently caress you can buy raptor swag https://raptoraircraft.logosoftwear.com/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

oh gently caress you can buy raptor swag https://raptoraircraft.logosoftwear.com/

35 bucks for a t-shirt lmao, I'd by one just for kicks if it was 20 or so.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sagebrush posted:

I think the posts about him start here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3276654&pagenumber=1798&perpage=40#post508848721

I don't think anyone has a cliff's notes version yet so here it is:

- He is trying to build a plane that performs like a Cirrus but costs much less

- I believe he's mostly funded development himself but also takes "down payments" from "investors" like a kickstarter or whatever

- It's basically a Velocity XL (existing kit design) airframe with his own modifications, the biggest one being an Audi automobile diesel engine instead of a more traditional aviation engine

- He gets these engines from junkyards because Audi never sold it by itself -- only in cars

- He has hosed up the powerplant design and installation in multiple ways, most notably installing the twin turbochargers backwards (!) so that the intake is choked and the engine rapidly overheats

- Multiple people, including a real Audi engineer who worked on that specific engine, have told him that he's doing it wrong and it's going to blow up, but he ignores them (terminal dunning-kruger brain)

- The rest of the plane also shows generally shoddy workmanship, like bent actuator rods for the landing gear ("they all came that way") and obvious rough machining marks on his propeller drive pulleys, in line with him trying to do everything on the cheap

- He originally had hired a crew of test pilots to help him do the flight testing, but he fired them all after they gave him what he thought was too many changes to make before they'd get in the plane

- As a result he has been doing the flight testing himself, though people have been begging him to sort out the engine problems before taking to the air

- In the flight test videos the plane has displayed a lack of power (because the turbochargers are installed backwards), serious overheating issues (ibid) and some really troubling oscillations, though it's unclear if the oscillations are due to fundamental weight and balance issues or a lack of pilot skill -- he says it's turbulence from the landing gear (it isn't)

- He has only been flying lazy patterns around his home airport in Arkansas(?) but recently decided to fly to Idaho for some reason associated with money and investors; on this flight the propeller drive fell apart because he reused a $1 single-use lock washer and he crashed in a cornfield, but survived

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.
Ah yes, I do remember that guy. Thanks for that. :)

Midjack posted:

35 bucks for a t-shirt lmao, I'd by one just for kicks if it was 20 or so.
15% OFF FOR THE NEXT 6 MINUTES!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Someone touch the poop and tell him to put a box of washers on his store.