Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

djw175 posted:

I don't care about how the homophobic legislators or how Tebow feels about being called gay. What I do care about is that you're calling someone worse for being gay. Even if it's because of them being hypocritical, that's not how it reads. This kind of rhetoric actively hurts LGBT people. I can speak from experience.

Yeah this has pretty much been my position

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

BiggerBoat posted:

Of course. But if it were someone like Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity, the stakes are raised because they've spent their lives making GBS threads on gays.

But is it a tit-for-tat thing? Because that doesn't really seem like a good enough reason. And like I said earlier, it's not actually going to stop lovely legislation getting passed; these people got elected by homophobic constituents, they're just going to elect homophobic straight people. And Milo shows pretty clearly that being publicly gay doesn't stop someone from making GBS threads all over gay rights.

I'm just not seeing the benefit to it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
itt liberals arguing about whether or not calling someone gay as an attack is a bad thing

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Maybe being gay is bad? Because being straight is a chore. I don't even like basketball but I still gotta keep up with it.

Edit:

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Ah jeez, our band frontman is freaking out because we're playing in Little Rock tonight and all his conservative BLM "watchdogs" are claiming Arkansas is going to be attacked while we're there on the "Day of Rage".

Why can't our singer be a normal flamboyant hippie instead of a conspiracy minded flamboyant hippie. :negative: Last month it was chemtrails.

I live about an hour from there and you can assure him that there is no day of rage but BLM is planning on killing him personally.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 15, 2016

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Ah jeez, our band frontman is freaking out because we're playing in Little Rock tonight and all his conservative BLM "watchdogs" are claiming Arkansas is going to be attacked while we're there on the "Day of Rage".

Why can't our singer be a normal flamboyant hippie instead of a conspiracy minded flamboyant hippie. :negative: Last month it was chemtrails.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite part about that "Day of Rage" post is that they called for demonstrations on the Arch grounds in St. Louis. Those grounds have been under redevelopment for 2 years and there's no room to do anything.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Heard about the day of rage from a straight-faced newscaster on the local 6:00 broadcast this morning. He credited it to Anonymous and said the police were concerned. I hope nobody gets killed at a blm vigil or march today because of grandma's racist email forwards from two years ago.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Goatman Sacks posted:

My favorite part about that "Day of Rage" post is that they called for demonstrations on the Arch grounds in St. Louis. Those grounds have been under redevelopment for 2 years and there's no room to do anything.

Yep.

I was trying to go up in the drat thing because I was traveling through St. Louis in May.

Nope, it was closed. Gave me the opportunity to at least go see a Cardinals game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Keeshhound posted:

But is it a tit-for-tat thing? Because that doesn't really seem like a good enough reason. And like I said earlier, it's not actually going to stop lovely legislation getting passed; these people got elected by homophobic constituents, they're just going to elect homophobic straight people. And Milo shows pretty clearly that being publicly gay doesn't stop someone from making GBS threads all over gay rights.

I definitely agree with you and thanks for clarifying. I certainly know that there's nothing wrong with being gay and that it's a private, personal matter, but I'm not sure how I'd react if, say, someone like Fred Phelps got outed. Like, there's nothing wrong with interracial relationships either but if someone like David Duke or Ted Nugent turned out to have a black child out of wedlock, I'd be lying if I didn't view it as karmic justice on a certain level.

But, yeah, you are right.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

BiggerBoat posted:

I definitely agree with you and thanks for clarifying. I certainly know that there's nothing wrong with being gay and that it's a private, personal matter, but I'm not sure how I'd react if, say, someone like Fred Phelps got outed. Like, there's nothing wrong with interracial relationships either but if someone like David Duke or Ted Nugent turned out to have a black child out of wedlock, I'd be lying if I didn't view it as karmic justice on a certain level.

Well, Strom Thurmond did have a black child. Thing is, I never really saw that as hypocrisy. Segregation was all about rich white people being able to use blacks as they wished and not have to deal with them as equals, so it wasn't surprising that he had sex with a maid. He just wouldn't want to be seen in public with her.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not saying I wouldn't feel a heaping load of schadenfreude either. It's just not something that should be celebrated, and especially not when it has the very real side effect of signaling to gays "your identity is only valid as long as you hold the ~right views~"

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I just Snopes'd it for them and they're still calling the PD for details. I was hoping we'd be smarter than this.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Keeshhound posted:

Just because more will bubble up from the depths doesn't mean that it's not stopping lovely legislation from the bigot who got driven out of politics. Anything that gets them to quit is preventing immediate negative consequences. Also doesn't the thought of their personal misery as their families and careers fall apart, and the knowledge that it will last the rest of their lives, feel good? Not that cosmic irony makes it delicious, but that they did evil and will now suffer for the rest of their lives?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I just Snopes'd it for them and they're still calling the PD for details. I was hoping we'd be smarter than this.

Ask yourself what it says about you that these are your bandmates

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Also doesn't the thought of their personal misery as their families and careers fall apart, and the knowledge that it will last the rest of their lives, feel good? Not that cosmic irony makes it delicious, but that they did evil and will now suffer for the rest of their lives?

Uh, no it doesnt. I want my enemies to become better kinder people and society to become more tolerant. That kind of perspective is no different from Christians being glad sinners go to hell.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jack Gladney posted:

Also doesn't the thought of their personal misery as their families and careers fall apart, and the knowledge that it will last the rest of their lives, feel good? Not that cosmic irony makes it delicious, but that they did evil and will now suffer for the rest of their lives?

Legitimately thought this was from a Chick Tract.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ask yourself what it says about you that these are your bandmates

Probably that he highly values playing music?
Finding bandmates that are on the same page as you as far as motivation, skill level, time commitment, taste, and a million other factors is extremely hard. I lucked out, but if everything else lined up ok, I'd put up with bad/dumb politics, too.

Also, a lot of artists are weird people.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trilas posted:

Also, a lot of artists are weird people.

yeah most of the hippy artist types i know are, uh, not objective and rational thinkers

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Jack Gladney posted:

This is what I was talking about when I called it "punishment." This isn't about stopping harm, or trying to improve things for everyone, it's about trying to feel righteous when you act vindictively.

For the record, I'm with Mel. Other people getting hurt doesn't make me happy, beyond that initial burst of schadenfreud. And even that just makes me feel rotten afterwards.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Uh, no it doesnt. I want my enemies to become better kinder people and society to become more tolerant. That kind of perspective is no different from Christians being glad sinners go to hell.

Jesus Christ you just made me realize I have hit rock bottom. I wasn't always like this. I think it's from reading this thread. I don't want to be like this. Is there hope for me?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Keeshhound posted:

I'm not saying I wouldn't feel a heaping load of schadenfreude either. It's just not something that should be celebrated, and especially not when it has the very real side effect of signaling to gays "your identity is only valid as long as you hold the ~right views~"

Yeah, once again, you cutesy phrase ~right views~ to gloss over the fact that one side literally views gays as sub human filth and continues to fight for the right to discriminate against them. There is no nuance to this issue and while I can feel sorry for self hating closeted gay bigots, they are in fact still bigots and not worth any more mind than any other bigoted legislator.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
About that logo... Do we ever know who designs these things and why? It's like, they saw the absolutely worst option and just went with it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, once again, you cutesy phrase ~right views~ to gloss over the fact that one side literally views gays as sub human filth and continues to fight for the right to discriminate against them. There is no nuance to this issue and while I can feel sorry for self hating closeted gay bigots, they are in fact still bigots and not worth any more mind than any other bigoted legislator.

If you actually want to fix the problem then go campaign for gay acceptance in the places that need to hear it. Don't pretend that jacking off over the idea of an anti-gay senator getting outed makes even the slightest bit of difference.

And it really does send that message. At it's core, outing someone is using their sexuality to hurt them. When you endorse it, you're endorsing the view that a person being gay is just a tool to use against them when you judge them deserving of it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Keeshhound posted:

If you actually want to fix the problem then go campaign for gay acceptance in the places that need to hear it. Don't pretend that jacking off over the idea of an anti-gay senator getting outed makes even the slightest bit of difference.

And it really does send that message. At it's core, outing someone is using their sexuality to hurt them. When you endorse it, you're endorsing the view that a person being gay is just a tool to use against them when you judge them deserving of it.

but don't you understand, they're bigots, this justifies my god given right to be a complete rear end in a top hat to them

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

All right, all right. So did Limbaugh or Hannity say anything crazy today? There has to be a lot of blood in the water given what happened in France yesterday.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Egad. Lets forget all about phone books, typical church internet websites, etc. being plastered with physical addresses and the like.

Fuckers just love to hate, don't they.

two of american mainstream protestants biggest duties are to prevent interracial marriages and to reassure their flock that new and different things are bad

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

All right, all right. So did Limbaugh or Hannity say anything crazy today? There has to be a lot of blood in the water given what happened in France yesterday.

I listened to that Breitbart morning show on Sirius Patriot, seemed to be the standard "every Muslim person deported for national security!" response. Yawn.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Jesus Christ you just made me realize I have hit rock bottom. I wasn't always like this. I think it's from reading this thread. I don't want to be like this. Is there hope for me?

It happens to everyone, I first got into politics when we still had LF and it didn't do pleasant things to my psyche.

I keep in mind the "guns and religion" thing Obama got in trouble for. He is right. The vast majority of our enemies are people who are scared and ignorant and are looking for a sense of security and control. When we try to help the world, we are trying to help these people too. Just remember that people are only as good as circumstances allow them to be, and the goal should always be to improve circumstances for everyone to make the world a better place.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Full Battle Rattle posted:

two of american mainstream protestants biggest duties are to prevent interracial marriages and to reassure their flock that new and different things are bad

Mainline protestants are more forward-thinking- we have some jerks, but there are a lot of progressive churches. You're probably thinking of evangelicals.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BiggerBoat posted:

"Sound the Trump-Pence!"

Also, dang, the "TP" jokes are gonna write themselves.

I was kinda hoping he'd go straight into crazy people land with the religious vote and pick Jindal, because "Trump BJ" just makes me giggle like a child.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
NPR just reported an attempted military coup in Istanbul.

Military is claiming they're acting for the sake of democracy and human rights. Should prompt an interesting response.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 15, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DrNutt posted:

We're not talking about self-hating closeted gay bigots, though. We're talking about how it's wrong to call or imply someone is a self-hating closeted gay bigot for literally no other reason than they talk a little funny. It's just as tasteless and lovely as when people talk about how much this or that senator must secretly lust for cock because they voted for an anti-LGBT bill.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
Wayne Simmons is going to jail: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-twenty-first-fox-crime-analyst-idUSKCN0ZV21Q?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews

Centripetal Horse fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 16, 2016

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Keeshhound posted:

NPR just reported an attempted military coup in Istanbul.

Military is claiming they're acting for the sake of democracy and human rights. Should prompt an interesting response.

P standard kemalist response. Checks and balances work! Erdogan is a threat to democracy in turkey. About damned time.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Good, dudes a huge tool and whatever version of "stolen valor" acting like a CIA official is. Can't wait to see Fox gloss over this

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Good, dudes a huge tool and whatever version of "stolen valor" acting like a CIA official is. Can't wait to see Fox gloss over this

As if they'll even report it.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Keeshhound posted:

Lay it out for me like you would a five year old. Explain to me why it's objectively ok to publish knowledge entrusted to you in confidence when the entrusted is lovely enough.
If by "lovely enough" we mean that that person is ruining lives and harming others and oppressing others, and if by publishing those secrets you can reduce or eliminate that person's ability to do those things, then it is right and good to publish the secrets.

Keeshhound posted:

The people who killed civil rights workers for helping register blacks to vote were pretty sure they were doing the right thing, too.
So? They weren't. Moreover, whether or not their opponents were "playing fair" or whatever, would not have affected their decision to murder anyway, and your supposition that by outing hypocrites we open the floodgates to more harmful behavior from worthless humans is false - they are already doing everything in their power to oppress and kill their enemies.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
:nws:http://imgur.com/jfR4ylo:nws:
(Jackhammering Trump-Pence logo)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I expect people to buy a lot of TP for the convention as I expect there to be toilet paper rolls every where as protest and as celebration of picking the dumbest VP for your bunghole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Rick_Hunter posted:

:nws:http://imgur.com/jfR4ylo:nws:
(Jackhammering Trump-Pence logo)

Well, that didn't take long.