Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
In Breath of the Wild I destroyed like a dozen little target boards strewn across the area to get one Korok seed, which feels kinda lame that there weren’t two of them in the context of other time-consuming, involved seed tasks such as “lift a rock” and “put an apple on this offering shrine”.

Also that there’s like five waypoint stickers, that’s not enough after Elden Ring spoiled me since I’m trying to do the main story long enough to find the camera but I keep finding poo poo to explore every five feet. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

John Murdoch posted:

more Far Cry 5 things

All this stuff (not the plane, but the other things) comes back in New Dawn, too. Great decision, guys.

Also I'm getting real tired of silent protagonists. 5 and New Dawn both have them, and it gets grating. People talk at you and expect answers, but you can't respond. It's worse in RPGs than in shooters, I think. Gordon Freeman doesn't need to speak, but if I make character choices in gameplay I want to be a character, dammit.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
It's weird in New Dawn (playing cause it's on PSPlus and I just wanted to play a "turn brain off and shoot bad guys" game) because your character says stuff but, as far as I can tell...ONLY when you catch a fish!? He says something like "oh yeah" and I have not heard a single word otherwise. I assume if you pick to play as a woman at the start it's a lady's voice saying the same, but..why JUST fishing?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Playing Doom 2016, got to Argent Tower. I'm enjoying the game, but the summoner enemies are really annoying to fight. Hate those guys.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The respawning cars full of bad guys make a return in New Dawn as well, and it doesn't make sense in the foresty post apocalypse. You're fighting bikers and dunebuggy boys, there isn't that much material left to make a bunch of cars and keep them stocked with gas.

In the opening your train is destroyed by the bad guys and there's a bunch of cars there, but it's easy to intuit, "the main villains are here and maybe this is their main force". Less so when you're just loving about with your girlfriend and your quadbike.

This is another thing that 6 fixes, because you're fighting a national army instead of a vague gang.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The thing dragging Power Wash Simulator down is that it's TOO addicting; I'm marathoning this game and I'm going to be done before I know it. :ohdear:

I have a visual novel to play! And Disco Elysium! But dammit, drawing lines in the dirt with a power washer is just too drat satisfying.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So... is anyone else concerned that Bioenchanted may be playing a game that they didn't manifest into reality? I'm 99% sure that Doom had a game in 2016, and that I even played it. Hell, I think it even had a (bad) sequel!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Randalor posted:

So... is anyone else concerned that Bioenchanted may be playing a game that they didn't manifest into reality? I'm 99% sure that Doom had a game in 2016, and that I even played it. Hell, I think it even had a (bad) sequel!

My theory is that Bioenchanted flickers between realities. If they're playing a game you've heard of, it's because they're providing it to a parallel Earth.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
You're thinking about DOOM

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Maybe it's some weird PS2 tie-in game to the Doom movie starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson??

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Look, the dimensional flicker takes a HUGE amount of mana, so sometimes I have to play something known to let it recharge.

Innocuous Owl
Apr 9, 2011

Sneaky Pig!
After finishing Final Fantasy II Pixel Remaster I don't think the leveling system ever felt good. The sense of getting stronger was too gradual for my taste since every stat raised so incrementally and at seemingly random times. On top of that, most magic was basically useless because even at level 10/16 Flare and Ultima barely did any damage and god help you if you wanted to reliably inflict any kind of status effect. It felt like there was no real incentive to do anything other than spam Cure, Haste, and Berserk and demolish everything with dual wielding melee attacks. Also I ruined any challenge in the last dungeon for myself by trivializing every boss in there with the blood sword that does percentage based damage instead of flat damage, whoops.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Randalor posted:

Seems like even BioEnchanted can run Doom.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Vic posted:

Yeah the old game was simpler but you can get gud at the new one too with parrying and dodging.

I hate parrying and I hate that it's being shoehorned into every game where it makes even mild sense to have it. No!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Counterpoint: I love parrying and I wish more games had it.

I want Mario to parry a goomba

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

kazil posted:

That's what the raccoon tail is

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's the start of Super Mario Bros. 1-1 and you die from the Goomba because you ran and jumped at the start and now you're out of Stamina to defend or attack.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Paper Mario2 has parries, or super guards as the game calls it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

kazil posted:

Look at this guy who doesn't know about Timed Hits

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Look, I really just want Mario: Plumbers Die Twice

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Philippe posted:

Also I'm getting real tired of silent protagonists. 5 and New Dawn both have them, and it gets grating. People talk at you and expect answers, but you can't respond. It's worse in RPGs than in shooters, I think. Gordon Freeman doesn't need to speak, but if I make character choices in gameplay I want to be a character, dammit.

That's something that especially screams "designed for co-op". Though there's already a weird sliding scale since I literally had to ask itt if Ajay ever talked in 4 because he barely does.

Weirdly in the second John capture he asks if you want to be tortured first and you choose to say Yes but your character doesn't actually say anything. Funny that (IIRC) they make a big deal out of the Rook being mute in New Dawn.

Also that special action (and some menu stuff) uses the enter key which is a clownshoes bind decision.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Goddamn 60 dollar games are what's dragging it down for me rn

I would love to play returnal and Re4 remake and all this poo poo but I don't have a spare 180 bucks around :argh:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
70 dollar games. Sony sucks.

Edit: not sure about other states or countries but here in IL the digital sales tax rounds steam games up to nearly 80 dollars now, it's a little obscene.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lobok posted:

It's the start of Super Mario Bros. 1-1 and you die from the Goomba because you ran and jumped at the start and now you're out of Stamina to defend or attack.

Kingdom of Boletaria -> Mushroom Kingdom. Why is no one talking about this???

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Btw digital sales tax is loving stupid and the actual justification for it is that you can see and experience the product, which makes it a taxable experience like a theme park ride. Just a way to sap money out of you without giving you ANY ownership of something tangible.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:33 on Mar 30, 2023

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Moon Monster posted:

Kingdom of Boletaria -> Mushroom Kingdom. Why is no one talking about this???

no way, it's lothric. mushrooms and crumbling walls everywhere. bowser is empowered by the First Flame that courses through his castles and very blood. the repeating levels in 4-4 and 8-4 and the fuguelike refrain of the princess being in another castle represent time and space collapsing inwards on itself due to stagnation.

In all seriousness though in Mario Odyssey there's a weird bleak Souls-esque world where you fight a weirdly 'realistic' looking dragon towards the end and the reason it belongs in this thread is that (unless I'm missing something, which is very possible in that game) it's really small and pretty much only has the one boss fight.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Boletaria translates to, like, Mushroom Land, tho

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So on a whim I started replaying Dragon Age Origins. This game is showing its age like milk and somehow the PC port did not include mouse controls for the camera :psyduck: also the graphics default to lowest so that was really fun designing a character, realizing everyone's eyes were soulless black dots because that's what happens when the game is at its lowest settings, adjusting the graphics setting halfway through the intro; and realizing my character looked nothing like they did a few seconds ago. Also there are a comical number of "this quest was supposed to reward you an item, but it just doesn't" bugs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rockman Reserve posted:

no way, it's lothric. mushrooms and crumbling walls everywhere. bowser is empowered by the First Flame that courses through his castles and very blood. the repeating levels in 4-4 and 8-4 and the fuguelike refrain of the princess being in another castle represent time and space collapsing inwards on itself due to stagnation.

In all seriousness though in Mario Odyssey there's a weird bleak Souls-esque world where you fight a weirdly 'realistic' looking dragon towards the end and the reason it belongs in this thread is that (unless I'm missing something, which is very possible in that game) it's really small and pretty much only has the one boss fight.

Is that before or after you stop the wedding? I don't remember that fight at all and I know I got to the point where it expected me to get a few hundred more moons before seeing the real ending

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Before you stop thr wedding, your ship gets shot down and crashes in the ruined kingdom

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

and realizing my character looked nothing like they did a few seconds ago.

To be fair this is a Dragon Age tradition, like making a character in Inquisition and not realizing they'd be spending the rest of the game smeared with grease.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You have to wonder how many ME1 Shepards were wiped from existence the second players hit that dramatic face reveal in the opening cinematic and realized they had created some grotesque mockery of a human face.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

exquisite tea posted:

You have to wonder how many ME1 Shepards were wiped from existence the second players hit that dramatic face reveal in the opening cinematic and realized they had created some grotesque mockery of a human face.

For real, they all looked even worse than NPCs. Also femshep in the first one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Black shep looked pretty cool, there were a lot of Samuel L Shepards back in the day I remember.

edit: Which was way better than Dark Souls where adjusting the sliders to be more POC made you purple blue :allears:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:45 on Mar 31, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Tangentially related Capcom's dedication to never showing Ethan Winters' face ruined the emotional ending of Village's DLC and I laughed my rear end off. Don't play it, watch forums buddy Chaos Argate do it instead!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

wait village's DLC is out

when did that happen

what month is it

who am i

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Rockman Reserve posted:

wait village's DLC is out

when did that happen

what month is it

who am i

It's 2005 and RE4 just came out and it's really good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Innocuous Owl posted:

After finishing Final Fantasy II Pixel Remaster I don't think the leveling system ever felt good. The sense of getting stronger was too gradual for my taste since every stat raised so incrementally and at seemingly random times. On top of that, most magic was basically useless because even at level 10/16 Flare and Ultima barely did any damage and god help you if you wanted to reliably inflict any kind of status effect. It felt like there was no real incentive to do anything other than spam Cure, Haste, and Berserk and demolish everything with dual wielding melee attacks. Also I ruined any challenge in the last dungeon for myself by trivializing every boss in there with the blood sword that does percentage based damage instead of flat damage, whoops.

The final boss without blood sword in the Pixel Remaster is bonkers more difficult and a vertical cliff face of difficulty. You did nothing wrong by blood swording it.

Also Ultima spell is "fixed" in the remaster but its power is determined by the total level of all spells equipped on that character. So its basically useless until you have several spells at level 8 and then it starts ramping up and up but still requires an absolutely inordinate amount of time to get it to full power when you, can, again blood sword.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I am really tired of Spiderweb games. I appreciate all the work Jeff Vogel does, his writing skills are good, he makes fun RPG worlds. But playing his games really loving sucks.

He's remastered one of his old classics, Geneforge, in 2021. The game is basically 95% text. Graphics are extremely barebones, there's barely any animation but the writing's what makes it. But reading the game loving sucks, too. There's no UI scaling. The main font sucks and the text is sometimes hard to see (especially when displaying idle dialogue). All the UI basically doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

I would gladly pay for dlc that turns all the graphics into ASCII, roguelikes figured this poo poo out four decades ago. You don't want to spend any budget on graphics - fine, I understand. But at least make the goddamn game readable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm finally getting into Cyberpunk 2077 and I'm having a blast now that I've got a machine to actually run it properly and it seems to have all the kinks worked out. I'm only about 15 hours in mostly doing random jobs and occasionally progressing the story when I feel like it. Just did Jackie's remembrance. Great character, too bad he had to go.

So it's a really minor gripe but I love driving around the city, especially at night, listening to the radio. Haven't even touched the fast travel system because it's such a pleasure to just drive to get to your destination. I just wish I could also listen to the radio while walking around and doing missions and stuff. Seems like a real oversight not to be able to listen to music using all that tech inside your head and poo poo without having to use a vehicle.