Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There's something to be said for taking a week off to decompress too though. You don't want to let your team down, but sometimes you just need to step away and take a breather.

As a rule, I always play GREAT when I take a week off after a poor set of games. All the stress melts away and I have fun again.

I think that's the only thing I don't like about being a goalie. You're expected to be there week after week. If you're a F/D and don't feel like playing well then gently caress -- the team will get by without you. If you're a goalie and don't feel like you want to play then holy poo poo get ready to play phone tag for five hours. It's almost easier to just go play than it is to find a backup sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
Funny thing is besides my Tuesday game, where I was good, I hadn't played in a full week before that. Then after my 3 on Wednesday, I have 1 this Saturday, 1 Tuesday, and 1 next Friday. An incredibly light schedule.

UnmaskedGremlin fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 30, 2011

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Aniki filmed again yesterday whilst we were in net. Unfortunately he caught my...uh...seizure on tape. Not sure what it was, but watching it over and over again is more than a little hilarious. Skip to 1:50 if you'd like to watch me look extra ridiculous.

http://youtu.be/jxxQlOnH4y4

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looks like you caught your skate on something, that or you've been learning by watching me play ;)

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Joey Walnuts posted:

Aniki filmed again yesterday whilst we were in net. Unfortunately he caught my...uh...seizure on tape. Not sure what it was, but watching it over and over again is more than a little hilarious. Skip to 1:50 if you'd like to watch me look extra ridiculous.

http://youtu.be/jxxQlOnH4y4

Looks like your skate caught in a rut or just grabbed when you thought you had it up. Happens to everyone.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

titanium posted:

Looks like your skate caught in a rut or just grabbed when you thought you had it up. Happens to everyone.

That makes sense. The figure skaters were on right before us and they chewed up the ice pretty good. I need to try and keep the flailing down to a minimum.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzzalj7ToJM

I really dislike Windows Movie Maker but here's my last game at the U. I'll be back on the video wagon again here with all the games I'm playing now.

This game the D covered quite a few of my juicy rebounds thankfully. I need more paddle control when sliding around too, this lingering hand injury never seems to go away and tends to get worse if I play paddle down a lot. Guess I have to suck it up and take the pain.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You pop to your feet so loving fast -- my knees just cry in agony watching you.

But seriously, you play an amazing game. Keep it up, I love watching you guys play well :)

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Holy christ what an amazing game for our championship. Went down 4-0 thanks to some crazy knuckle-puck like goals, and me being poo poo in the 1st period.

Thankfully in the 2nd my team started to wake up and I started to actually stop shots and by the end of the 2nd we were only down 4-1.

Third period started and we went back and forth for a bit, but were definitely controlling the puck in their zone for a while. Halfway through the 3rd we got another, then they quickly answered and I honestly thought I had hosed us over by killing our momentum.

Little did I know that we would go on an offensive streak and score 5 unanswered goals to put us ahead with about 2 minutes left. We got a dumb penalty while up by 2 and they had a 5 on 3 that they used to their advantage to come within one. I then had a decent shot from point blank I kicked out to the boards that one of our defense picked up and ended up getting a goal to put us back up by 2 and that pretty much sealed the deal.

It was even sweeter because the team we played had beaten us during every regular season game this year and in the end we were able to win the one that mattered.

It's not quite as big as the real deal, but drat is it nice to win it nonetheless.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ahaha -- I love how every rink has their own "Stanley Keg". So good :3:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Martytoof posted:

My rink doesn't, but I'm going to try to fix that this season. That trophy is the best.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Martytoof posted:

What's also nice is now they're actually getting every teams name etched onto a little plaque and then put on the trophy so you can live 'forever', or until they run out of room and then remove the really old teams.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

real_scud posted:

What's also nice is now they're actually getting every teams name etched onto a little plaque and then put on the trophy so you can live 'forever', or until they run out of room and then remove the really old teams.

That's pretty awesome. We used to at least get tshirts. All we get now is a reminder to pay our fees for the next season.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

real_scud posted:

Ice Sports Forum just bought a new keg and put the old one up in the bar. They did it right :3:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Ice Sports Forum just bought a new keg and put the old one up in the bar. They did it right :3:
We have no bar for them to do that with. Though I think there is a trophy case somewhere I guess they could retire the old one to.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, if they're not showing it off they're not trying.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

real_scud posted:

We have no bar for them to do that with. Though I think there is a trophy case somewhere I guess they could retire the old one to.

Tell your rink to get a bar. It is seriously the best thing ever for post-game beers, especially when they give players 10% discounts.

The windows above the scoreboard look out over the rink so there are always people at those tables watching the game.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Bradf0rd posted:

Tell your rink to get a bar. It is seriously the best thing ever for post-game beers, especially when they give players 10% discounts.

The windows above the scoreboard look out over the rink so there are always people at those tables watching the game.
Sadly it'll never happen because the owner of the rink is a crazy christian who doesn't allow any booze to be sold/consumed in the rink.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bradf0rd posted:

haha yeah "post-game"

:ssh:

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

We have no bar at our rink and scenes like that still play out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No bar just means guys bring their own beer in a cooler and chug it in the locker room.

Basically, rink owner is losing himself a lot of money by not having a bar.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

City has a zero tolerance policy for dressing room beer, but that doesn't stop people apparently. Rink bar is where it's AT.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

xzzy posted:

No bar just means guys bring their own beer in a cooler and chug it in the locker room.

Basically, rink owner is losing himself a lot of money by not having a bar.
We can't even do that, so we sit out in the parking lot and drink. But even that only my rookie league team does and that's mostly just because our games are regularly on Sunday afternoon's when everyone has time to hang around and drink.

I'd love to do something similar with my work team since a lot of us have been playing together for years, but having games on Monday night is kind of a killer for sticking around and drinking in the locker room or even in the parking lot.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

real_scud posted:

We can't even do that, so we sit out in the parking lot and drink. But even that only my rookie league team does and that's mostly just because our games are regularly on Sunday afternoon's when everyone has time to hang around and drink.

I'd love to do something similar with my work team since a lot of us have been playing together for years, but having games on Monday night is kind of a killer for sticking around and drinking in the locker room or even in the parking lot.

Pretty much this. There's a bar across the street that sometimes some of the teams I'm on will head over to. But with a 30 minute drive home, I'm usually not too keen on going over there during the week. First game of this season one of my teams went over on a Monday night after an 8 PM game. We closed the bar. I was not in good shape Tuesday at work!

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Oi, I played like absolute poo poo tonight. Part of it is poor defense and I wonder if it's getting to my head. It feels like I'm trying to focus too much of the ice to watch for passes and it seems like I lose focus on the puck. I guess the best way I can describe is that I'm trying to do too much, which results in me not doing enough. I really need to get some lessons soon, because it really feels like playing on a brand new team is forcing me into some bad habits. At least I have a game with my regular team on Saturday, so hopefully at least I'll have some defense and know what to expect, which should make things easier.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

Aniki posted:

Oi, I played like absolute poo poo tonight. Part of it is poor defense and I wonder if it's getting to my head. It feels like I'm trying to focus too much of the ice to watch for passes and it seems like I lose focus on the puck. I guess the best way I can describe is that I'm trying to do too much, which results in me not doing enough. I really need to get some lessons soon, because it really feels like playing on a brand new team is forcing me into some bad habits. At least I have a game with my regular team on Saturday, so hopefully at least I'll have some defense and know what to expect, which should make things easier.

I thought you were playing with pretty much the same group from like last fall?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Surfing Turtle posted:

I thought you were playing with pretty much the same group from like last fall?

I have two teams, one on Saturday nights at one rink and one on Wednesday nights at another rink. The Saturday night team is established, so the defensemen tend to know what they are doing and people have a good feeling of where the other guys are/what they are supposed to do, and the Wednesday night team is a brand new team that was created by the rink, so we're still very much out of sync. It will get better and it's part of playing with a new group of guys against teams that have been together for 5-10 years, but I still expect myself to play better than I have been with the new team. The good thing is that my Saturday night games should seem so much easier in comparison.

We're also going to be ordering our jerseys soon, so which jersey do you guys think we should go with? We based our logo off of the old Ottawa Roughriders logo and we'll either go with sky blue Pittsburgh alternates, yellow Swedish Olympic jerseys, or maize Michigan jerseys and here is a mockup of the logo:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

I watched your game for about 10 minutes. It was like watching a group of 6 year olds play soccer. Everyone chased the puck no matter where it went. Get your guys to play some position and you'll have a chance.

Don't feel too bad though. Starting a new team is always a pain in the rear end. The first team I tried to put together went 1-17 the first season. We actually beat the first place team in the playoffs and knocked them out. That was rad.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

I watched your game for about 10 minutes. It was like watching a group of 6 year olds play soccer. Everyone chased the puck no matter where it went. Get your guys to play some position and you'll have a chance.

Don't feel too bad though. Starting a new team is always a pain in the rear end. The first team I tried to put together went 1-17 the first season. We actually beat the first place team in the playoffs and knocked them out. That was rad.

You're definitely right. How did your team manage to knock out the top seed in the playoffs? Did they take you for granted or did you guys just play a really good game?

I'll definitely emphasize positional play and learning to trust the other players going into next week. I'm hoping by keeping the lines more consistent that it will accelerate the acclimation process, but we'll see how it pans out over the next couple games. We should have a winnable game next week, so if I can get them to play a little more organized and actually start covering the backside, then I should be able to keep the other team out of the game. Given our current play, it probably won't happen, but we need to break through at some point.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Aniki posted:

You're definitely right. How did your team manage to knock out the top seed in the playoffs? Did they take you for granted or did you guys just play a really good game?

My first season with one of the roller teams I played on we played the first place team in the first round of the playoffs (obviously we barely snuck in). We played ironman, with 2 of our better forwards, and the two girls we have on the team (one of them being the captain and mother of one of those forwards). The other girl is decent, the mother, not so much. I stood on my head, we got a couple breaks, and managed to win something like 4-2. It was ridiculous, everything just clicked at the same time. Then we came out in the finals with our full compliment of players and smashed the second place team.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Tonight I am going to attempt to record my performance with the GoPro for the first time. If I don't put any footage up tomorrow it means either my camera broke or I played a horrible game.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

They finally started playing well together somehow. Probably just luck, really. I actually didn't play any better than any other regular game.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Got a call around 8 tonight from the goalie on my work team asking if I could sub in for him on his C-Gold team. Figured I might as well, and then he told me that the team I'd be playing is the team that regularly murders them and they closest they've come to winning was 5-2.

Since I normally play rookie, 2 levels down, I was somewhat worried but once the game started I didn't do too bad. Of course they scored off some fluke goal that I thought my left D had, but it got stuck under his feet and the other team dug it out and played it to the slot.

Most of the game it was pretty close, by the end of the 3rd it was 4-3 and we were starting to pressure them, there's about 1:30 left in the game and I'm hoping we can get the puck in their zone so I can come out to hopefully tie it up when one of their guys gets the puck in the bottom left corner, I go to slide over and he just chucks the puck in front of the net. As I'm getting to the post I feel the loving puck touch the bottom of my stick and sure enough it went in off the heel of my blade.

Obviously after that I get pulled and they actually manage to get one back, but can't get enough with only 30 seconds left in the game.

Was kind of crappy to lose a game to a goal like that, but it was damned fun to play against guys who were vastly better than me, made me focus like crazy and always make sure my body was in front of the puck.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

They finally started playing well together somehow. Probably just luck, really. I actually didn't play any better than any other regular game.

I'm hoping things will click with my team. I think we have a couple players that will be decent, but in the meantime I arranged for a lesson with Tecca early Saturday morning. I figure getting a little coaching will help get me back on track and put me in a better position to weather the storm until my team starts playing better. I'll try to get some lessons from Brian at some point, but there's just no way that I can make it down Arcadia on a weekday morning. He did mention that he might be teaching an adult goalie clinic when the third sheet opens up at the Ice Den, so hopefully that materializes.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

The drat GoPro battery didn't hold its charge so I have no footage from tonight. Played decently, but lost a close one in the third. It seemed like every rebound I gave up went like a homing missile onto the sticks of my opponents. What can you do?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

The drat GoPro battery didn't hold its charge so I have no footage from tonight. Played decently, but lost a close one in the third. It seemed like every rebound I gave up went like a homing missile onto the sticks of my opponents. What can you do?

Make sure you don't turn on the camera before you plug it into your computer and then it will charge. You do need to turn on the camera to extract the files, but make sure it is off to charge.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Aniki posted:

Make sure you don't turn on the camera before you plug it into your computer and then it will charge. You do need to turn on the camera to extract the files, but make sure it is off to charge.

Yeah I know, but thanks. There was something wrong with this battery however, so I grabbed another from the pile (we have a bunch of these things at my place of work that aren't being used anymore, and since I'm in charge of gear they're my playthings now :) ).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Whaaaat. Send one my way :haw:

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Whaaaat. Send one my way :haw:

I do lend them out occasionally to friends for their (less dangerous than being in a hockey net) projects because for the most part our shows try using them once and the DP gets pissed off because they have no real controls and makes them pay for "real" lipstick cameras. But I'm sure one of these producers will eventually demand to "USE ALL THE GOPROS!" and ruin my little goalie highlight reel dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You should line them all up around the boards and make some awesome Matrix-like 360 view of some awesome saves :clint:

• Locked thread