Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
He spent a lot of time with Warner's, too, I know Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, and The Shining all open with that great 70s flying W:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

He spent a lot of time with Warner's, too, I know Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, and The Shining all open with that great 70s flying W:

Kubrick is my movie boyfriend forever. How come he hasn't got a thread in CD?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
There was a pretty film-by-film retrospective thread a few years ago, if you have archives.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

What's the deal with the ending of The Searchers? John Wayne saving Debbie instead of killing her seems like it's meant to give the impression that he's changed his views in some way, but that doesn't really fit with how he's portrayed as an utter racist in the whole rest of the film.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I was giddy with excitement when I saw that logo at the beginning of Magic Mike. The person who saw it with me didn't understand the big deal.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Mescal posted:

I'm looking forward to the movie Room 237. It looks batshit insane.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2085910/?ref_=sr_1

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

A human heart posted:

What's the deal with the ending of The Searchers? John Wayne saving Debbie instead of killing her seems like it's meant to give the impression that he's changed his views in some way, but that doesn't really fit with how he's portrayed as an utter racist in the whole rest of the film.

While not the greatest reply to your question, there's a (somewhat lengthy) thread on the IMDb message boards that discusses it. I agree that his abrupt shift is a little strange in the context of the film. An interesting theory some hold is that he is Debbie's father.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Mescal posted:

After watching the Shining I can definitely see why it is a polarizing movie. There is a ton of hate from Stephen King fans and a ton of wank from Kubrick/film fans. The movie is definitely designed for people to waaayyy overthink everything. I am definitely in the wank camp.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Mescal posted:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There was a pretty film-by-film retrospective thread a few years ago, if you have archives.
Well, you oughta know since it was your freakin' thread.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
That I can't read, thanks jerk.

Goudeau
Aug 21, 2007

A human heart posted:

I like what Glenn Kenny wrote about that moment (link). The end of Red River is also very similar to that of The Searchers, but I don't like it anywhere near as much.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

schwenz posted:

Before I clicked this I was really hoping it would be a movie like the Hitchcock biopic about him torturing Tippe Hedren throughout The Birds but with Kubrick and Shelley Duvall. Paul Giamatti for Kubrick?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Wasn't there some kids movie where the actor who played the villain never broke character between scenes, so the child heroes would be afraid of him, and thus improve their reactions to him on screen? Anyone know what movie it was?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

User-Friendly posted:

Wasn't there some kids movie where the actor who played the villain never broke character between scenes, so the child heroes would be afraid of him, and thus improve their reactions to him on screen? Anyone know what movie it was?

Not a kids movie but everyone thought the guy who played Jason in Friday the 13th Part 3 was a huge shithead because he would only scowl at the actors and be anti-social. After the shooting they were shocked to discover not only was he a realyl nice guy but he even had a British accent!

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

User-Friendly posted:

Pretty sure you're thinking of the guy who played Dracula in Monster Squad.

ETA: I think the guy who played Frankenstien's monster also never broke character.

Skeevy Mcgee fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 30, 2013

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I seem to recall a rumor from the first Scream movie that the cast wasn't let in on who the killer actually was until the last scenes (sequentially) were shot. What are the chances of there being any truth to this?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

CzarChasm posted:

I seem to recall a rumor from the first Scream movie that the cast wasn't let in on who the killer actually was until the last scenes (sequentially) were shot. What are the chances of there being any truth to this?

I remember this was the case with the Scream 2, for sure. I saw an interview with Jerry O'Connell (or maybe Timothy Olyphant) on a behind the scenes documentary about the series on a cable channel a few years ago and he discussed how they would only be able to see the scripts shortly before filming each scene, and would destroy them after shooting.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Parachute posted:

I remember this was the case with the Scream 2, for sure. I saw an interview with Jerry O'Connell (or maybe Timothy Olyphant) on a behind the scenes documentary about the series on a cable channel a few years ago and he discussed how they would only be able to see the scripts shortly before filming each scene, and would destroy them after shooting.

All the Scream 2 scripts were printed on brown paper too, so they would be really hard to photocopy.

This is probably the most random movie question I have ever had. After watching The Hobbit, I went back and watched all the EE behind the scenes documentaries, then for shits and giggles I rewatched Peter Jackson's King Kong. In the King Kong behind the scenes, they showed Dany Devito in the editing suite with Peter Jackson. I didn't see him in the movie, and he isn't listed on imdb as any sort of producer. Why was Dany Devito editing King Kong?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Your Gay Uncle posted:

All the Scream 2 scripts were printed on brown paper too, so they would be really hard to photocopy.

This is probably the most random movie question I have ever had. After watching The Hobbit, I went back and watched all the EE behind the scenes documentaries, then for shits and giggles I rewatched Peter Jackson's King Kong. In the King Kong behind the scenes, they showed Dany Devito in the editing suite with Peter Jackson. I didn't see him in the movie, and he isn't listed on imdb as any sort of producer. Why was Dany Devito editing King Kong?

That sounds like the sort of joke Jackson would do. DeVito shows up one day? "Hey, Danny, get in the editing booth with us we'll act like you're editing the movie and pretend like that isn't weird!" And DeVito would be drunk on Limoncello and think it's a blast.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
DeVito's one note to Jackson: Needs more whoars.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
You gotta pay the cave-troll toll, if you wanna get in that hobbits hole.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

I wouldn't be surprised if DeVito was an investor in the film.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NeuroticErotica posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if DeVito was an investor in the film.

That's what I figured, but I like to imagine that after a particularly awesome lemincello bender, he woke up half naked in a New Zealand editing suite.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Wait, so in Iron Man 2, what was powering the Mark II suit that Rhodey uses to try to fight Tony at his party?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Love.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

AlternateAccount posted:

Wait, so in Iron Man 2, what was powering the Mark II suit that Rhodey uses to try to fight Tony at his party?

Suspension of disbelief

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You can infer that Tony wanted Rhodey to steal it so he probably put an Arc reactor in there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

muscles like this? posted:

You can infer that Tony wanted Rhodey to steal it so he probably put an Arc reactor in there.

I thought he mentioned that Tony made that armor for Rhodney so it has an arc reactor.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They don't specifically say that Tony did it but somebody brings up the fact that nobody could really steal an Iron Man suit without Tony's permission.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this? posted:

They don't specifically say that Tony did it but somebody brings up the fact that nobody could really steal an Iron Man suit without Tony's permission.

The fitting alone would make it hard for anyone other than the person the suit was made for to wear.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

User-Friendly posted:

Expanding on the other post... Kane Hodder (Jason in Friday the 13th Part 7 through Jason X) would mess with the cast when he was in full makeup. He would also isolate himself from the cast so they wouldn't get all close with him.

Alpher N Omeger
Jan 1, 2013

schwenz posted:

I caught this when the local film festival rolled around last year; I didn't think much of it. The film was more interested in deflating its own premise than actually getting in the spirit of analyses. The interviewees are basically treated like quacks, which is honestly not entirely unfair in all cases. There's plenty of substantial idiosyncratic Shining interpretation out there but it certainly doesn't comprise the movie's content; what little worthwhile interpretation in the movie is also given little room to breath, and comes off unfairly as silly. At one point near the end of the film, we're basically surfing from one outlandish statement to the next, deliberately edited so as to continually escalate the absurdity of the claims.

The people laughing seemed to have a good time. Let me put it this way, the people who walked in apt to grumble about overanalysis and overthinking and why don't you just turn your brain off probably walked out with their opinion affirmed.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
That sounds horrible.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Skwirl posted:

The fitting alone would make it hard for anyone other than the person the suit was made for to wear.

Rhodey - "...okay, Tony, tell me again why your making a full body cast of myself?"
Stark - "Quiet. Whatever, it's just a thing... it's a thing I'm doing. Don't worry about it."

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Rhodey - "...okay, Tony, tell me again why your making a full body cast of myself?"
Stark - "Quiet. Whatever, it's just a thing... it's a thing I'm doing. Don't worry about it."

"It's for Pepper's birthday. I think she'll like it."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just got a great email from my boss about a big project at work. It's a large project that will take a lot of time and effort to complete, so she chose to convey this with a choice movie quote.

"This will be a very big project everyone, so as they said in Jaws, "We'll have to go get a boat that is much larger."

:ughh:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

"This will be a very big project everyone, so as they said in Jaws, "We'll have to go get a boat that is much larger."

That phrasing is so awkward, it seems intentional.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

a radii hike posted:

That phrasing is so awkward, it seems intentional.

You would think, but knowing her, it's definitely not intentional. She's talked about movies before and said things like "Wasn't Gary Busey in BttF?" I don't know if she thought he was Biff or the Doc....

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just got a great email from my boss about a big project at work. It's a large project that will take a lot of time and effort to complete, so she chose to convey this with a choice movie quote.

The quintessential boss-employee conversation in my book:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzgjFi8ayc0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
edit: doh wrong thread.

knees of putty fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 6, 2013