Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Burt posted:

<:mad:>

One of my two XS Yams, the others a bobber.

This is unbelievably cool. I picture the pipes searing your leg, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Snowdens Secret posted:

That looks like pretty reasonable fender coverage. Maybe a touch short in the front, but it's the rear where the wheel surface is moving upward that throws crap all over you.

This is what happens when you don't have that much:

Yeah, I was talking about the rear coverage. It seems like you would really want the rear fender to go closer to 3 O'clock, but then something something style.

justincredible
Mar 26, 2014

just too incredible

Slavvy posted:

This is unbelievably cool. I picture the pipes searing your leg, though.

I also like this :)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

MetaJew posted:

Yeah, I was talking about the rear coverage. It seems like you would really want the rear fender to go closer to 3 O'clock, but then something something style.

If you look at modern sportybikes, you'll see that's pretty much where the stock fender reaches.

Unless you mean the back wheel, but again most sportybikes with a fender eliminator kit have that little coverage or less. I know on mine it'll throw pebbles at my back sometimes, but I don't really notice.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Really hope I didn't post this before. Here's my Yamaha Bolt

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

crazyivan45 posted:

Does that sign say "the cat is shady as gently caress also?"

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Indeed it does

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 353 days!
Not a very good photo, but I got myself a birthday present:

It's a 2007 with a bunch of aftermarket bits, but no performance mods. Told myself I wouldn't spend much more money on bikes this year, but I'm already reading up on gsxr fork swaps...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

wesley snypes posted:

It's a 2007 with a bunch of aftermarket bits, but no performance mods.

That's a really good looking bike.

quote:

Told myself I wouldn't spend much more money on bikes this year, but I'm already reading up on gsxr fork swaps...

That's how it goes.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Brought home my brand new baby from the dealer today. Had zero miles when I picked it up, and from the door of Big Valley Honda to my door it was 110 miles of bitter cold and 40 mph sustained winds with heavier gusts. This is how we break in new bikes in Nevada. :black101:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Neat!

What's with the little digital camo strip? Do they all have that? I haven't really looked very closely but I've never noticed it before.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's an "x". They all have it that I've seen.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Yay, new bike. I'll clean it up and get better pictures later. Rode it home last night, about 70 miles. Wouldn't be too bad, except it dropped below 50 and I definitely wasn't dressed for it. That little windscreen helps a ton. And it comes with a loving cupholder.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 3, 2014

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

crazyivan45 posted:

Nice Bolt! Welcome to the club! Are those the Star bags? Yeesh, those things cost way too fuckin' much. The parts dude at the dealership pored over a bunch of parts books with me to find some bags that would accommodate the suspension. Found some that worked at then bolted them on to the Yamaha bag frame. They work well. I posted a pic when I first bought the bike around July. I'll try and take a new photo tomorrow.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Brought home my brand new baby from the dealer today. Had zero miles when I picked it up, and from the door of Big Valley Honda to my door it was 110 miles of bitter cold and 40 mph sustained winds with heavier gusts. This is how we break in new bikes in Nevada. :black101:

This looks nice but do you have any pictures in color???

(I kid, I kid)

justincredible
Mar 26, 2014

just too incredible

Nitrox posted:

Yay, new bike. I'll clean it up and get better pictures later. Rode it home last night, about 70 miles. Wouldn't be too bad, except it dropped below 50 and I definitely wasn't dressed for it. That little windscreen helps a ton. And it comes with a loving cupholder.

sweet bike, i like it alot!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Nitrox posted:

I've always wondered, on a scale of 1 - 10, how much wind do those fairings block out?

tjones
May 13, 2005

Shimrod posted:

I've always wondered, on a scale of 1 - 10, how much wind do those fairings block out?

I've rode road kings with similar fairings and they block a substantial amount. Enough to comfortably smoke a cigarette at 60 mph.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

tjones posted:

I've rode road kings with similar fairings and they block a substantial amount. Enough to comfortably smoke a cigarette at 60 mph.

Wow, really? I didn't think it would be that much. That's pretty cool.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Shimrod posted:

It blocks everything up to about my eye level. It's my first bike with any sort of fairing and it feels great. The most important thing is that it extends over the grips. My fingers would have been in a world of pain on that ride home otherwise

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've always wondered, on a scale of 1 - 10, how much awesome do those chrome spike fairing bolts add?

Nice bike though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Shimrod posted:

I ran one on my vstar for winter riding. Kept me thawed but it really buffeted my helmet.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I've always wondered, on a scale of 1 - 10, how much awesome do those chrome spike fairing bolts add?

Mootmoot

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Eleven. The spikes go to 11

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Maxing out the weird.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Maxing out the weird.

Sick wheely bar, brah.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you didn't know the relative weights you would swear it's defying physics. What's it feel like to ride?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Slavvy posted:

If you didn't know the relative weights you would swear it's defying physics. What's it feel like to ride?

Probably pretty scary unless you really trust whoever's piloting the motorcycle

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

It feels like riding a motorcycle

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 353 days!

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Maxing out the weird.

Strangest pillion configuration I've ever seen

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

It feels like riding a motorcycle

I'm meaning, does the (small) amount of weight strung out so far behind and above you have a noticeable effect on handling.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I'm far too lazy to plot the geometry but I can't imagine weight-wise it's any different from a big topbox. Not sure how the frontal / side wind resistance factors.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Went out into Amish Country today

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The Freep thread has ruined my brain when it comes to that word.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Slavvy posted:

I'm meaning, does the (small) amount of weight strung out so far behind and above you have a noticeable effect on handling.

It feels like 1/3 of a passenger or some such. Wind goes right through it, too! No biggie.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The Freep thread has ruined my brain when it comes to that word.

Which word?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

Gotta use a lot of weight shifting to get it steer when you're in the high seat but visibility is great.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Flikken posted:

Which word?

Amish.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Gotta use a lot of weight shifting to get it steer when you're in the high seat but visibility is great.

knee downs are a bit tougher though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The hell do the Amish have to do with freep?