Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?
I am not sure if this belongs here but a few years ago there was a stuffed pig that was making its rounds around North America hitching a ride on goon bikes. Any plans on anything like that happening again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Rode 230-ish miles for work yesterday, was a good change from the office even if it rained quite a bit. Came across a Spanish group ride that had been at the North Cape. It's been a cold and rainy spring, so I don't exactly envy them but well done on such a great trip all the way from Malaga, Spain. Three GSes, one V-strom and one Yamaha FZ6S.

I've only now begun to appreciate how good the stock underseat exhaust looks on the Yammie. The other bikes have massive cans that screw up the position of the panniers. It seems all advendture bikes suffer from this. I wonder if a Tiger 800 would accept the underseat exhaust from other Triumphs, such as this:

With appropriate mods to taillight and so on. Or at least a much narrower can on the side.

Also, came across a really annoying thing. A German guy on a (I think) Pan European was riding ahead of me. He seemed nervous in the rain, which is completely understandable - not only is he on unknown roads, but there was also roadworks around with some muddy spots etc. But instead of letting me and other cars pass he would gun it in the straights and park it in the corners. I just wanted to ride the speedlimit, he broke it in the straights and went 20 below in the corners. Eventually a corner was wide enough for me to pass.

I do understand him though. I sometimes get worked up by people behind me and that usually leads to me taking risks I normally wouldn't take. Be the better man, let the tailgaters pass.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was walking home from a dentist appointment Friday and happened upon a motorcycle accident. It wasn't bad, and if I had to guess, I'd say the biker rear-ended the car at low speed then dropped it (GSX-R, I want to say). The cops were already there, so I kept walking. What I noticed, however, is that he was wearing the same helmet I had an accident in. I am now convinced it's cursed. Which is fine since mine was toast, but still.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I discovered last night that my room mates and I should not be allowed to ride at night. A friend was in town so we all rode downtown for dinner. Bikes were sv650 (me), ninja 250 and two Ducati 900ss. Ride there was fine...ride back was another story.

Hit two tunnels just to see how much noise we could make. My room mates decided it would be good to hit each others kill switches while going down the interstate. Wheelies, stoppies, jumping curbs and other dumbassery. It was fun but incredibly stupid. I'm just mad I didn't have the CRF together in time to ride that, then there really would have been stupid stuff going on.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

NitroSpazzz posted:

... My room mates decided it would be good to hit each others kill switches while going down the interstate.

That made me laugh a bit, but wouldn't that lock your rear if you didn't get on the clutch in time?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

xd posted:

That made me laugh a bit, but wouldn't that lock your rear if you didn't get on the clutch in time?

Nope, ps. Flicking the killswitch = mad flames out the exhaust on some bikes. :cool:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

xd posted:

The effect is basically the same as releasing the throttle. One cuts power by removing the spark, the other by removing the fuel. The engine will still turn, but you'll start engine braking.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

As they mentioned it just slows you down similar to engine breaking. Flick it back on and it auto bump starts with a nice fireball.

Stupid yes...fun yes

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
That's good to know :)

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
When I started riding one of the fears I had was accidentally hitting that big red switch and locking the rear and crashing horribly. If that actually was possible it probably would have made the news toyota brake pedal style.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Ola posted:

I've only now begun to appreciate how good the stock underseat exhaust looks on the Yammie. The other bikes have massive cans that screw up the position of the panniers. It seems all advendture bikes suffer from this. I wonder if a Tiger 800 would accept the underseat exhaust from other Triumphs, such as this:

With appropriate mods to taillight and so on. Or at least a much narrower can on the side.

I'm not going to lie, the underseat exhaust is one of the reasons I got a FZ6 instead of a SV650 (I am shallow). The single tube on that Daytona looks nuts and I'd like to have that and an 848 Evo, paint them up like fighter jets and reenact scenes from top gun. Everyone has their fetish, ok?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BlackMK4 posted:

Nope, ps. Flicking the killswitch = mad flames out the exhaust on some bikes. :cool:

Verified and used to wake people at a bus stop today. Although I couldn't see if I got any flames, I got one hell of a bang :c00l:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mcqueen posted:

I'm not going to lie, the underseat exhaust is one of the reasons I got a FZ6 instead of a SV650 (I am shallow). The single tube on that Daytona looks nuts and I'd like to have that and an 848 Evo, paint them up like fighter jets and reenact scenes from top gun. Everyone has their fetish, ok?

Does it heat up the seat / underseat storage much?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yes. It's a nice seat warmer in the winter, not too noticeable in the summer with gear, but it definitely has an effect. The Undertank area heats up significantly as well.

It's nice in the winter, less nice in the summer, and annoying on a humid summer night. A week or so ago I parked it hot as the sun was going down, and when it cooled off I came back to a seat soaked in condensation, hah.

VVV Hah, it's from when I was an AI regular oh, 6 years or so ago. I wrecked that Suzuki about 5 years ago, haven't really had a car for any length of time since. I underwent a couple name changes from GBS threads and since I've actually started posting more regularly I'm hesitant to get rid of it.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 8, 2011

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

nsaP, your avatar reminded me of a nice Suzuki statement I came across last summer.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ola posted:

Does it heat up the seat / underseat storage much?

I don't have much to compare it to, but the cat is more by the engine/rear tire, and I think that heats up the most. I just use my storage for the toolkit and insurance card, the zip lock that I put that in hasn't melted so I suppose it doesn't get all that hot. The seat itself is fine. I really think most of the action happens in the cat. The muffler itself is very large and I would imagine dissipates heat quite well.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Is it hard to do exhaust stuff? I consider myself very handy, and I'd love to move that huge side-hanging can up under the seat (or at least in a little). I've got a welder and I'm not afraid to use it. The can is carbon fiber, the pipe is metal, and I know neither one get hot enough to melt nylon, even riding at highway speed in 100F temps for hours at a time.

I also have access to large-diameter hydraulic benders. The exhaust pipe looks to be 2" or so. If I bent a pipe out of 1-1/2" EMT (1-3/4" OD) and fabbed up some brackets, would that work?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
If you're going to fab your own pipe, expect the bike to run less well. It has to do with resonancies and backpressure stuff to make an exhaust work correctly. That's the extent of my exhaust knowledge.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
I always hear americans on various forums talking about the lack of gear they see but I never appreciated it until now. I'm in Houston for a few weeks of training and it blows my goddamn mind when I walk down the street by the freeway.

Back home you never, ever see anyone on the street without a helmet and most (other than the obvious cruiser crowd) tend to wear proper full face. Maybe it's the climate, but no jacket/boots is rare-ish as well, the tank top is by far a minority.

Here, I'm going to say 80% of the people I see have helmets, maybe 45% have proper helmets and sub 5% are wearing jackets or boots.. Shorts and t-shirts seem to be the norm, cringeworthy.

And oh god the hot girls on back in short-shorts, they'll be ruined :gonk:

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I was in Delaware on Memorial Day, and saw a husband & wife each with a kid around 7-8 years riding pillion. They were all wearing t-shirts and those stupid non-DOT yarmulkes with no padding and I couldn't believe somebody would put their child in that much danger. I'm all for riding with the kids but for gently caress's sake put some gear on them!

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Niven posted:

I always hear americans on various forums talking about the lack of gear they see but I never appreciated it until now. I'm in Houston for a few weeks of training and it blows my goddamn mind when I walk down the street by the freeway.

Back home you never, ever see anyone on the street without a helmet and most (other than the obvious cruiser crowd) tend to wear proper full face. Maybe it's the climate, but no jacket/boots is rare-ish as well, the tank top is by far a minority.

Here, I'm going to say 80% of the people I see have helmets, maybe 45% have proper helmets and sub 5% are wearing jackets or boots.. Shorts and t-shirts seem to be the norm, cringeworthy.

And oh god the hot girls on back in short-shorts, they'll be ruined :gonk:

You just hate us for our freedom.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

SlightlyMadman posted:

I was in Delaware on Memorial Day, and saw a husband & wife each with a kid around 7-8 years riding pillion. They were all wearing t-shirts and those stupid non-DOT yarmulkes with no padding and I couldn't believe somebody would put their child in that much danger. I'm all for riding with the kids but for gently caress's sake put some gear on them!

Seeing kids in jeans, t-shirts, and brain buckets riding pillion makes me very angry. It's a law to buckle your child into a car seat or booster seat, but you can apparently take a small child and ride him around on a motorcycle with no real protection. I'm willing to accept that people believe that this is America or whatever and being a dumb rear end in a top hat = freedom (thanks for the insurance rates), but taking a life into your own hands and treating it like poo poo its ridiculous.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's kind of sad that those people don't actually come out until it's warm enough to ride in shorts and a t-shirt. Where were you in March, Bobby McSquidd?

Anyways, I took the boomcam out to Mercer Island at 5 in the morning last Sunday, but haven't posted the results up until now. I was having issues with the rig swinging around at speeds above 40 mph. The only reason I kept going was to get video for a school project. Next one will be a lower angle and a more steady position, since I now have an idea for how to stop it from pivoting all over the drat place. I'll probably actually get to ride at a decent pace as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTtntq0D1YY

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Hell, it isn't going to be perfect the first go. Still, it's a fantastic idea and a cool shot and I can't be the only one waiting for you to iron out the wrinkles.

Does it bounce too much if you move around on the seat? Also, I'd suggest not trying to fix the pivot but find a way to secure and adjust it because, frankly, when it twists to the side it's a pretty cool shot as well. I almost prefer it to straight on, I didn't even realize that's what you were talking about till I saw you fix it.

When you can figure out one that swaps sides as you shift your weight on the bike....gold.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 9, 2011

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I could think of a way to limit the swing, but I'm not sure how much of a factor centrifugal force will play into the results. It's worth a parking lot test, at least.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Need an aux mic mounted behind the windscreen too. What a cool idea though :)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slim Pickens posted:

I could think of a way to limit the swing, but I'm not sure how much of a factor centrifugal force will play into the results. It's worth a parking lot test, at least.

If you find a pivoted angle that looks good into a corner, you might be able to weight the camera to have it "balance" at that rotation....Actually, the more I think about it, it'd have to be a multi point attached pendulum of some sort, really complex. Probably why the motogp gyrocams use a motor that rotates the camera with inputs from the bikes gyro sensors.

Way above my head to say the least so this is a post of bollocks.

To make this post less poo poo, a preview to some pics of a local dude's project. I don't know him but i'm on the forum.

:)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
A ZXR750/7R chassis with a Mach IV triple?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

It's kind of sad that those people don't actually come out until it's warm enough to ride in shorts and a t-shirt. Where were you in March, Bobby McSquidd?

Anyways, I took the boomcam out to Mercer Island at 5 in the morning last Sunday, but haven't posted the results up until now. I was having issues with the rig swinging around at speeds above 40 mph. The only reason I kept going was to get video for a school project. Next one will be a lower angle and a more steady position, since I now have an idea for how to stop it from pivoting all over the drat place. I'll probably actually get to ride at a decent pace as well.

I don't know if it's the lens or the perspective or what, but it looks like you're getting crazy lean angle on gentle sweepers, especially the left-handers... like bar end mirror+exhaust can scraping lean angle. Maybe you were? It just didn't look like you were caning it, it looked rather leisurely.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Haha, no, not even close. The rig would try to spin backwards above 40 mph, so I had to take it gentle.

The plan is to eventually record audio separately as well, but the cheapest device I've found is about $100. I think I have a lavalier microphone in an old helmet camera kit, though, so I might be able to hook that to my phone.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Got a new battery for my 2000 SV 650 a few days ago. The bike started up instantly after that, yay.

Then today the gf went out to ride and found a bike that refused to start, too low power.

I think my gf is cursed. Every bike of hers has had issues pop up on a consistent basis.

what to do next... sighs.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You need to disconnect the positive side of the battery cable, and use a volt meter in line touching the cable and the positive post. Set it to measure amps, I can guarantee you've got a draw somewhere. Then you start pulling fuses one at a time and see if the amps drops to virtually nothing. I had this problem w/ my '99 years ago, it turned out it was the trip odometer had a short. I removed the fuse and the draw went away. I never did fix it completely though, ended up selling the bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slim Pickens posted:

Wanna get this on a supermoto.

Walkin, there's a 90% chance that it's your R/R or damaged wiring, a 9.9% chance it's your stator, and a .1% chance it's what n8r describes.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
yeah, I contacted the p.o. and he suspects the r/r as well. A multimeter is on its way from amazon, will be hopefully confirming that.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

What you need to do is ditch those two-hole straps and get some click-on one-hole straps. Those prevent rotation much better. Offset one to each side, reasonably close, and that pole won't move very much.

code:
       _                   _
      |o| _              _|o|
======|_|| |============| |_|===
         |o|            |o|
I hope you kinda get the idea. You can even mash the one-hole closed with some channel locks and get it really tight.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

Saga posted:

A ZXR750/7R chassis with a Mach IV triple?

Two Stroke Shop were appearently doing something similar (1100cc triple in a ZX-10 frame), but knowing them it's just an idea they came up with and will never actually build.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ross Noble has written a thing about his Twitter Triumph tour.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2011/jun/11/ross-noble-twitter-tour-uk

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I want to buy this exhaust, but I don't NEED it since the standard exhaust on my tdm is less than a year old. It is also pricy.

I can still sell the original or something, right? :(

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
So, after owning an Real American motorcycle for 2 months, I'm saying never again. While I was deployed I bought a 2003 Indian Spirit over E-bay. Not the best move, but it was impulsive and I thought, hey should be alright.

Looks pretty, right?

Had a buddy take care of the bike while I was gone, he said it ran fine. I get home and rode it back from his place to mine. First thing I noticed was the seating position was pretty laid back, the tank was so wide that you have to reach around it with your legs to get at the pedals, and the handlebars were really wide.

In town it was slow and ponderous, loud, and on the highway it caught the wind and left me feeling like I was going to be blown off the back of the bike. But hey, I got a lot of thumbs up and it did look cool.

After about 3 weeks of ownership it starts stuttering and sputtering at low speeds. I take it to the shop and they tell me that the gas tank lining is coming out. They change the fuel filter and send me on my way. I take it back and ask them to clean out the tank, they tell me that the tank's actually fine, the carbs just needed cleaning, and they put in new plugs. Ran fine on the way back from the shop.

I park the bike for 3 days in a garage, take it for a ride, and it goes back to sputtering, shaking, and acting like it wants to die. I let it sit all day, and it starts putting out black smoke when it idled, backfired loudly when riding down the road, and barely ran.

So I've got a very nice, chromed out, pile of junk sitting in the garage. I'll have to call the shop again, and have it picked up. At this point, I'm done with it. I'm going to sell it as soon as I can and put the money in savings, which I should have done in the first place.

It is a used bike and I probably bought someone else's problems, but it did run right for about 3 weeks, so who knows?

I prefer my Bonneville in about every aspect. It's responsive, nimble, light, has one gas tank rather than two, and doesn't deafen everyone even though it's got the off road silencers on it. On the highway I can tuck in and ride under the wind, or I can lean back and relax.

Maybe a Thunderbird would have been better...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I googled and got that the 2003 model had/has problems, including a fuel issue. Maybe worth looking into.