Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Lord Windy posted:

I've got to ask the worlds most dumbass question, I just started using Usenet and I'm using Thunderbird to go through the messages. When I set it up, it asked for an email address for people to reply to. I'm using Astraweb, do I need to use an email address they provide (like lordwindy@astranet.com) or do I just use a normal email address like an @gmail?

By the way did this come in the mail for you yet? I hope that this is an improvement over the old 33.6 you had.

Seriously. You're using Usenet via Thunderbird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
How are you supposed to use it? Thunderbird is my email client, the messages all appear in it nicely, I have no issue joining things and I can cart it around on my USB.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Lord Windy posted:

How are you supposed to use it? Thunderbird is my email client, the messages all appear in it nicely, I have no issue joining things and I can cart it around on my USB.

Did you buy an Astraweb subscription in order to read the text-based discussion groups?

Rufus Ping fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 10, 2014

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Lord Windy posted:

How are you supposed to use it?

If you have to ask, then you don't need an Astraweb account.

Google Groups will let you read and respond to text Usenet discussions for free.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Rufus Ping posted:

Did you buy an Astraweb subscription in order to read the text-based discussion groups?

The_Franz posted:

If you have to ask, then you don't need an Astraweb account.

Google Groups will let you read and respond to text Usenet discussions for free.

I wish I had known that before hand, the OP says you need an account. Hell, rec.games.roguelike.development said I should use one. And I thought that was all Usenet was, or is the safety note code for the fact that it's for pirating?

But back to my original question, can I use any old email like my @me, or do I need to use one that Astra provides because I didn't see any email address when I signed up for it.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

You should use whatever email address you want to be emailed at, like spamme@fakeemail.com

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Mind if I ask how old you are?

Countless forms of web based communication have replaced usenet discussion. People just use usenet for automated downloading of things.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

Mind if I ask how old you are?

Countless forms of web based communication have replaced usenet discussion. People just use usenet for automated downloading of things.

23 which should explain why I have no idea how it works. I want to get into it so I can take advantage of all the programming knowledge that is there in one easy to get spot.

I'll chalk this one up to my own idiocy and use google after my account runs out.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Lord Windy posted:

I want to get into it so I can take advantage of all the programming knowledge that is there in one easy to get spot.

Use the CoC forum under this one and StackOverflow.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Use the CoC forum under this one and StackOverflow.

Oh I am, it's more there are specific things I am looking for and found them there. Like some blog posts of websites that have gone offline and theory posts. Mostly to do with Roguelikes and whatnot.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Lord Windy posted:

Mostly to do with Roguelikes and whatnot.

Rougelike dev chat: The only dev chat so neckbeardy it still uses Usenet.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
In all seriousness, I have a lot of respect for people who use Usenet for, you know, discussions. Granted, the last time thing I posted was a request to a.b.radio.bbc a few years back, but for things related to computer science, programs, there's decades of knowledge on there. If you can find an active group, it's potentially a good way to avoid the eternal September factor that has plagued the rest of the internet.

Sometimes I long for the day where it was pretty complicated to get online. In the '80s/'90s it was pretty common to cop poo poo for spending lots of time online. Nowadays the very same people who might have bullied you 20 years ago spend the entire day on the internet posting nonsense.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

modeski posted:

Sometimes I long for the day where it was pretty complicated to get online. In the '80s/'90s it was pretty common to cop poo poo for spending lots of time online. Nowadays the very same people who might have bullied you 20 years ago spend the entire day on the internet posting nonsense.

"Back in my day.."

The first "computer" I had internet access on was a Dreamcast. After that I upgraded to my Acorn RiscPC (probably means nothing outside the UK), where comp.sys.acorn.* was the only real place you could have active discussions. Actually reading newsgroups was my introduction to online communities really.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Dreamcast came out in '99 and you had an Acorn machine after that? My head is doing backflips. I haven't touched one of their boxes since an Archimedes in about 94 or so.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

modeski posted:

avoid the eternal September factor

That reminds me of http://www.eternal-september.org/ for a free text only server.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the eternal September factor?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Dreamcast came out in '99 and you had an Acorn machine after that? My head is doing backflips. I haven't touched one of their boxes since an Archimedes in about 94 or so.

Yeah, I know. My high school still used Acorns so I got one (probably around the same time as the Dreamcast release) to do my GCSE coursework. They did move on a chunk from the Archimedes era, and you could get an x86-on-a-card to run Windows in a hardware-assisted VM. It looks like there are some crazy enthusiasts out there still trying to run them; from a quick Google there's an event scheduled for next year.

TraderStav posted:

I'd like to know this too :)

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

TraderStav posted:

Basically, once the newbies start coming, they don't stop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

This can be used to describe the Internet as a whole!

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Is there a way to get Sonarr/NZBDrone to scan indexers for shows more often? The PC it's on is on 24/7, and SB will find a show about 30 minutes after it airs while Sonarr might still not have downloaded it 24 hours later. I have SAB/SB still running but paused to contrast the two, and Sonarr is really nice for navigating and failed downloads, but it's annoying how it seems to have a constant problem of lagging 12+ hours behind SB.

PirateDentist fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 12, 2014

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

PirateDentist posted:

Is there a way to get Sonarr/NZBDrone to scan indexers for shows more often? The PC it's on is on 24/7, and SB will find a show about 30 minutes after it airs while Sonarr might still not have downloaded it 24 hours later. I have SAB/SB still running but paused to contrast the two, and Sonarr is really nice for navigating and failed downloads, but it's annoying how it seems to have a constant problem of lagging 12+ hours behind SB.

What do you have for settings under... (turn on Advanced Settings)

Settings -> Indexers -> RSS Sync Interval

and

Settings -> Download Client - Failed Download Settings

I have no issues with 12+ hour later downloads, mine are usually found within 15-30 minutes after airing.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Diviance posted:

What do you have for settings under... (turn on Advanced Settings)

Settings -> Indexers -> RSS Sync Interval

and

Settings -> Download Client - Failed Download Settings

I have no issues with 12+ hour later downloads, mine are usually found within 15-30 minutes after airing.

RSS Sync Interval: 15

Failed Download Settings:
Enable = Yes
Redownload =Yes
Remove= Yes
Grace Period = 2
Retry Interval = 60
Retry Count = 1

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Lord Windy posted:

I'll chalk this one up to my own idiocy and use google after my account runs out.

Watching this has been so painful that I must direct you to the OP's guide to the more common use of Usenet in the modern era. Follow it from start to finish so at least you get something out of that account.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

PirateDentist posted:

What indexers do you have configured?

It's possible SB is using their own indexer while the indexer you have in Sonarr is way behind.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

PirateDentist posted:

RSS Sync Interval: 15

Failed Download Settings:
Enable = Yes
Redownload =Yes
Remove= Yes
Grace Period = 2
Retry Interval = 60
Retry Count = 1

Yeah, those are default, so I am guessing (like Thermopyle) that it is the indexer being behind.

I have Wombles, Dognzb, nzbs.org and nzb.su on mine.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

What indexers do you have configured?

It's possible SB is using their own indexer while the indexer you have in Sonarr is way behind.

Diviance posted:

Yeah, those are default, so I am guessing (like Thermopyle) that it is the indexer being behind.

I have Wombles, Dognzb, nzbs.org and nzb.su on mine.

I have Dognzb, nzbs.org and the SB index. I just realized I had RSS sync turned off for everything BUT lolo.sickbeard.com. Looking at my logs in SB about half the things it grabbed were from another indexer. So it may have just been my own misunderstanding what RSS sync actually did when I set it up. I thought it was the personal RSS feeds some sites have for some reason. :downs: (Why I had it on for SB then? Who the hell knows...)

I enabled RSS sync for them all and added wombles, maybe now that I actually have it set up right it'll work better. Thanks for the responses, probably would have never dug into that otherwise.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

PirateDentist posted:

I have Dognzb, nzbs.org and the SB index. I just realized I had RSS sync turned off for everything BUT lolo.sickbeard.com. Looking at my logs in SB about half the things it grabbed were from another indexer. So it may have just been my own misunderstanding what RSS sync actually did when I set it up. I thought it was the personal RSS feeds some sites have for some reason. :downs: (Why I had it on for SB then? Who the hell knows...)

I enabled RSS sync for them all and added wombles, maybe now that I actually have it set up right it'll work better. Thanks for the responses, probably would have never dug into that otherwise.

Yeah, RSS sync is necessary for quick downloads, heh. Hope it works now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Appreciate the aforementioned help on getting sickbeard installed on OS X. Strangely, Python keeps crashing after a few hours randomly. I googled it and seems to be a common problem on Mavericks (which I'm on) with no clear resolution. Has anyone else encountered this and a have a fix? Will finally upgrading to Yosemite fix this?

Was able to resolve this issue by using the HB script found on this site: http://jetshred.com/2012/07/26/installing-sickbeard-on-os-x-10-dot-8/

quote:

Autostarting SickBeard on Login and Keeping it Running
Starting from the command line every time can be a bit of a pain, so let’s make it easier. Currently SickBeard has an issue with running in daemon mode under Mountain Lion that causes the app to spontaneously close. I’ve made a simple AppleScript app that gets around this bug. It starts SickBeard in non-daemon mode but still works pretty much the same way.

Since daemon mode is what’s not working all that’s necessary to get around the bug is to not use daemon mode. Here it is:

SickBeard Heartbeat ScriptDownload App
# This script starts SickBeard and suppressed the output so
# that it runs as if in daemon mode while avoiding the daemon mode
# issue. Once you have changed the settings
# save this script as an Application and add it to your Login Items.
# Change the following line to the path to your SickBeard folder

set pathToSickBeard to "~/Development/Sick-Beard"

#You probably don't want to change anything below here

do shell script "python " & pathToSickBeard & "/SickBeard.py > /dev/null 2>&1 &"
Download the app and open it in AppleScript Editor. You’ll probably have to open AppleScript Editor and open the app through the File –> Open. Set the path of your SickBeard folder and then set the loopTime to the frequency of which you want it to check to make sure SickBeard is running. The default is to check every minute. I have already edited the plist file for this app so that it will not show an icon in dock.

Once you are done, save the AppleScript app and move it to your Applications folder. Now you just need to add it as a Login Item. Open System Preferences –> Users & Groups and click the Login Items tab. Click the plus icon and add the SickBeardHB app. The app is configured so that it will not show in your dock.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Any iPhone users know of good ways for nzbs.org to talk to nzbget? I still have the old sabnzbd app installed which can read the nzbs section feeds, but only supports adding releases to Sab and not the rss grabber on get. I have an app that supports nzbget but only searches binsearch. Nzbs don't do a mobile style sheet so browsing it is a headache. Has to be a better way...

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Add the nzbs to your nzbs.org cart, then grab them via rss in nzbget.

Woops completely didn't see you mentioned iphone. Not sure then...can your app just add them to your cart?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nope doesn't seem to support that, only works using the API in Sab. Maybe there's a way of emulating this within get so the app doesn't realise I don't use Sab anymore. Either that or maybe an RSS reader would make it easier, might try that now for a test section.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Anyone run into an odd issue where Sonarr\NZBDrone will just grab stuff kind of randomly? Mine just downloaded a release from 2 months ago but none of the other releases around that time. I checked the site, they're all available so it doesn't make any sense.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone having trouble with Astraweb being slow? I just changed out the configuration my Usenet from Raspbian to Arch. Under Raspbian I'd always peg out my internet connection which was about 2.5mb/s. Now under Arch it wanders between 2.5mb/s and 1mb/s.

Is this Astraweb or me? I never really paid much attention to my Usenet setup so I'm not sure if this is just me just noticing poo poo that occurred on my last setup as well.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Irritated Goat posted:

Anyone run into an odd issue where Sonarr\NZBDrone will just grab stuff kind of randomly? Mine just downloaded a release from 2 months ago but none of the other releases around that time. I checked the site, they're all available so it doesn't make any sense.

The software automatically checks for releases as they appear in the "recently added" RSS feeds of providers you've set it up to periodically scan, backlog searches are never performed unless you manually prompt it to do so.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Is there any graceful way to deal with TV shows whose as-aired order is the "wrong" order? I've upgraded from Sickbeard/SAB to Sonarr/NZBGet/Plex Server and just figured out that Moral Orel's season 1 has a much different DVD/production order than as-aired.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sub Rosa posted:

Is there any graceful way to deal with TV shows whose as-aired order is the "wrong" order? I've upgraded from Sickbeard/SAB to Sonarr/NZBGet/Plex Server and just figured out that Moral Orel's season 1 has a much different DVD/production order than as-aired.

2nding this. I noticed that Modern marvels has a really weird show date/DVD date, and the episode numbers don't match anything TVdb or Tvrage produces.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sonarr uses thexem.de as a fixer on the fly for TheTVDB listings. Unfortunately it's pretty transparent so you don't know when it's going to kick in, and I plan on throwing some suggestions their way to help.

For an example :

American Dad s07e01 from a downloader into Sonarr will get sent through XEM and get 'translated' to American Dad s08e01 to match their listings.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Yeah thexem works. I've had to jump on their channel a couple of times to get help setting up mappings for a show because the UI is transparent as concrete, but once they get it on there, Sonarr correctly names poo poo.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Keito posted:

The software automatically checks for releases as they appear in the "recently added" RSS feeds of providers you've set it up to periodically scan, backlog searches are never performed unless you manually prompt it to do so.

It must be a release that got added again. I never prompted for a scan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

YouTuber posted:

Anyone having trouble with Astraweb being slow

Astraweb + supernews gets me at 25mb/sec