Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Internet Kraken posted:

It took a few days for people to reach that area but there are now a bunch upvoted jokes related to heads in front of the Baleful Queen boss door. Community did not disappoint.

"Head Ahead"

I always read those as being literal since she tosses her head. v0v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
I'm normally terrible at PVP, but I've been having a lot of good luck with it in this game recently. Even when I have been getting murdered, I've been experiencing new things.

I had a pretty rocking duel with this lance knight on the shaky bridge in Dragon Aerie. I could have just opted out considering lances kind of have an advantage there. But really, how could I refuse a fight in such a location? And after that, I went up against a guy with 2 white phantoms. And for once, I actually murdered all three of them! It was wonderful!

I also kind of love having a character with 60 attunement.

Yes, that is sacred oath and forbidden sun.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

MadJackMcJack posted:

Mine is "Comfort ahead" in front of the chest with the Zweihander in it.

I saw a message in front of that chest that said "Giant Ahead" :allears:

honestly my favorite messages are all the messages I have been seeing near skeletons that say stuff like "Good Job Skeleton", "Dont give up skeleton!", and "Hurray for skeleton" :3:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

As a sorceror and relatively new to the DS series, with limited respawns and only so many charges, is it worth it to farm an area, rest, repeat, and slowly move up? I know there are consumables to restore charges, but I feel like I can't push too far ahead in a single go between rests.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Kawabata posted:

Hahaha. I pvped in DaS1 for over a year, finished both DS and DaS several times, and if you browse my post history you'll read that I've completed both Rats and Bellbros in an afternoon, dying a total of 6 times.

I'm not complaining because I'm bad at the game, I'm simply saying that this game is the cheaper of the 3, and I'm in good company, regardless of what the DaS2 insufferable master race seems to think. It's not harder, I never said that. I agreee with you that it might be even easier this time around, considering the game has a much better multiplayer and bosses/bad spots can be cheesed without too much effort with any 3 men party, but level design/single player gameplay are just not on par with the 2 previous games.

And collision detection is still loving terrible.

This is a good post, to read, and enjoy

You all can learn from one of the Masters of Dark Soul PVP

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Pyrolocutus posted:

As a sorceror and relatively new to the DS series, with limited respawns and only so many charges, is it worth it to farm an area, rest, repeat, and slowly move up? I know there are consumables to restore charges, but I feel like I can't push too far ahead in a single go between rests.

Don't bother farming for souls. If you want a specific weapon, or armor set, or need materials then sure go ahead. But if you're farming for the sake of "clearing a zone out" then don't bother.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Caik posted:

The way to Undead Purgatory is probably the hardest part in the game.

I'm on NG++ and all of these stupid phantoms attack me at the same time. Even sniping them doesn't work.

on NG you can pull them one at a time, idk if its any different on higher playthroughs though

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Sorry if this has been asked but I've been slowly working my way through this thread and I'm not caught up yet.

If I leave a covenant to join another one, then come back to it, does it reset?

V thanks!

BobbyK fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 1, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

BobbyK posted:

Sorry if this has been asked but I've been slowly working my way through this thread and I'm not caught up yet.

If I leave a covenant to join another one, then come back to it, does it reset?

No. Their is no penalty for leaving/rejoining covenants.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Turn off cross-region play if you're having these issues.

This is an option? Where do I find it? I looked through the menus but didn't see anything about online.

Ice_Mallet posted:

Yes, that is sacred oath and forbidden sun.

I feel kind of guilty using forbidden sun. Its like a giant flaming gently caress you out of nowhere. Maybe I should just save it for all those people running optimal PvP builds and stop roasting funhavers with it, but how can I resist the urge to lob a meteor in the face of some dorky archer?

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Pyrolocutus posted:

If you don't have enough attuement or castings to traverse an area with magic, you simply shouldn't be using pure magic. I don't know what stats you have on the side, but it might be a good time to accustom yourself to the dagger, at least.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Internet Kraken posted:

This is an option? Where do I find it? I looked through the menus but didn't see anything about online.

It's just in game options. It's the last option before the volume.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Domattee posted:

Elemental damage scales off of Int/Faith now. On top of that enchantments gain bonus damage if the weapon is infused with the same element. The result is that high faith/int builds do more damage with their infused+enchanted weapons than str/dex builds with scaling weapons. On top of that the Int/Faith builds get their spells.

Fake edit: Scaling weapons can get equivalent damage if the scaling is amazing (like the club) or you put a resin on it, but the resin costs money.

Real edit: Quality isn't bad, it just isn't as good as enchants.

Huh, how bizarre. How is the elemental damage split? Like, is it fire = int, lightning = faith?

Also does that include elemental damage done by pyromancy? Because if so it completely defeats the point of having a caster class based off of souls instead of stats.

Internet Kraken posted:

I feel kind of guilty using forbidden sun. Its like a giant flaming gently caress you out of nowhere. Maybe I should just save it for all those people running optimal PvP builds and stop roasting funhavers with it, but how can I resist the urge to lob a meteor in the face of some dorky archer?
I use it for my Guts cosplay as my "arm cannon". One shot, gently caress you levels of damage, nobody sees it coming. It's the best thing since fire ball + insanity catalyst from DeS.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Magic scales off Int, Fire off the average of Int and Faith, Lightning off Faith, Dark off the lower of Int and Faith. No idea about pyromancies.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I just got Havel's Greatshield and oh my god, it is the best thing ever. 80+% everything except for magic (90+%) and phys (100%, obviously) and it has 88 stability at max level. :allears:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Pyrolocutus posted:

If you're a caster who needs spell recharges, a melee who needs durability recharges, or an anything who needs estus recharges, let me introduce you to your new best friend, the small white soapstone. (Head upstairs from the second - cardinal tower - bonfire in the Forest of the Fallen Giants, which should be the first area you poke around in after Majula.)

It lets you be summoned for a very brief co-op jaunt, after which - if it's successful - you'll be dropped off right where you were, fully restocked and repaired as if you'd rested at a bonfire, but without respawning any enemies. You also get a smooth and silky stone to trade with the crows in Things Betwixt at your convenience.

If you die in the process, if your host dies in the process, or if your host is an rear end in a top hat and either black crystals you away or goes through the door of a boss they've already beaten (which sends you away too), then you'll be dropped off right where you were, minus any spells/durability/estus you used when co-oping, with no reward and no refill.

That said, it's usually successful, but still, it's better not to wait until you're nearly completely drained before doing this, just in case it doesn't work out. 1/3 to 1/2 charges/durability is generally good.

Just like resting at a bonfire, this also doesn't repair completely broken items. It refills durability back up to max on still-usable items. To repair something that's completely broken, hit up a blacksmith.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Domattee posted:

Magic scales off Int, Fire off the average of Int and Faith, Lightning off Faith, Dark off the lower of Int and Faith. No idea about pyromancies.

You already said what pyromancy scales off, it's fire.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

deimos posted:

I always read those as being literal since she tosses her head. v0v

Like when I saw "horse but hole" outside of the Chariot boss. It took me a while to realize they weren't just talking about the boss and its arena...

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Summoned as a shade, almost done with my 5 minutes of effort for humanity, when an invader appears.

The host throws himself off a cliff rather than bother to fight, so I get sent back empty-handed. I don't like PVP either but come on, it was going to be 2v1. :geno:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Although the Pyromancy Flame matters much more, if the attack rating can be believed. Most staves only go to maybe 180 or so even fully upgraded, while the flame reaches about 300 at +10.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pro-hex guide here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615786&pagenumber=609&perpage=40#post427864357

Araganzar posted:

I got "KID YOU ARE SO loving BAD" from a guy who invaded my SL 1 character. Great job barely winning bro, did you not see the blue wooden shield?

I thought rather than bitch about cheating I would write an actual guide for people who want to do hexes and maybe compete or co-op at a low level. This is designed to get you into hexing at low soul level and memory and with a minimum of game progression.

HOW TO BE A HEXER
- Start as a cleric for the low ADP, DEX, and END, none of which you need. Start with the bonfire ascetic. Fisticuff the tutorial (if you do it) as you start 1 STR from being able to use your starting weapon and 1 DEX from being able to use the dagger.
- Grab the binoculars and crimson parma when you get to Majula and buy a point of STR (kill some stuff if you skipped the tutorial). You now have one of the best weapons in the game (Mace). Get used to using it as there are lots of times you will want to rather than burn spell uses.
- If you don't mind spoilers: Play through Forest of Fallen Giants until you find Melentia. Buy a firebomb - and a club if you prefer that to mace. Clear to the shortcut and open it. Talk to Cale and Pate. Make sure to get the blue wooden shield from the ballistae room. Get the sorceror staff from the illusory wall in Pate's trap area - that area is hard but just run that backwards (using the ladder entrance) before you go in. Grab the Light Crossbow while doing this. Now go back to Majula, get 10 INT and your mace enchanted, loot the house. Get soul arrow from Melentia. Now you have a ranged attack. I would probably finish clearing FOFG at this point but you don't have to. .
- If you are playing unspoiled just clear Forest of Fallen Giants in its entirety and make sure you find all the secret doors.
- Either way your next stat goals are 20 INT then 22 FTH then 20 ATT, straight in that order. Upgrade your mace and staff only.
- Next, clear Tower of Heide - your mace wrecks these guys. Summon help if you need to. Now this part needs a small spoiler because it's a roadblock. Make sure to talk to the cleric at the second bonfire you open until she leaves. Find her on the way to this zone from Majula, and talk to her to open the route to Huntsman's corpse. The hex trainer, Felkin, is at the entrance to this zone near the bonfire.

Congratulations, you are now a Hexer.

Advanced Hexing for Advanced Hexers - here is how to get your endgame gear and spells with a minimum of souls and progression:
- Felkin will give you a full set of Hexer armour and the Sunset Staff (the best hexing staff in the game) if you have 20 FTH and 20 INT. Use all your twinkling titanite on this until it's +5. Buy Dark Orb, Dark Weapon, the 2 Resonant Soul spells, Ring of Soul Protection, and the Archdrake Chime.
- Your next stat goals are: INT and FTH to 28. You can take both to 30 to get the idol's and saint's gear from Licia but it's not necessary as you won't have the twinkling to spare for the dragon chime and you can get the Archdrake to +7 pretty easily.
- Unlock the lockaway bonfire in Hunstman's and from there clear the Skeleton Lords - use your ascetic and do it again for the +55% casting ring.
- Grab the two branches in the next zone. Use the first on the chick to open up Shaded Woods. Run through there to the second bonfire. From there use the second branch on the guy guarding the lion's mage set and another branch. Put on the lion mage's set. Enchant it up.

At this point you can play however you want. Your next goals are:
- Unfreeze Straid, get Dark Fog and Darkstorm, a second Dark Orb, trade in 4 boss souls to get the Black Hood.
- Ascetic the 2nd bonfire in Shaded Woods to kill NG+ Scorpioness and get the Southern Ritual Band +2, kill her husband or talk to him after killing Freja for the Second Dragon Ring.
- Clear Covetous Demon and Mytha to get to the Dull Ember, get a darkstone somehow and enchant your sunset staff with dark. Eventually you want to enchant your Mace as well. Get the Royal Kite Shield from McDuff.
- At this point you should be level 65 with your points going to 12STR 20ATT 28FTH 28INT. You are soft-capped on Dark Damage with Straid's hood on. You haven't had to kill a big boss and your only real progress is towards Iron King. You have IMO the best gear to PVP or PVE with.
- Your Soul Memory should be low as your progression is low, you've had to upgrade a minimum of items and you haven't had to spend money on consumables.
- Your cast speed should be 250, at SL 150 it would be 330+. This is the key. Your spells have a minor stun/poise break and you are a machine gun. You will also be very light on your feet.
- However, to have your best chime and ring you will have to get to Castle Drangleic, where you get Caitha's Chime and the Abyss Seal. But you can get by fine with the Archdrake or Idol chimes until then.

Gear and Spells
- Armor: Black Hood, Lion Mage Gear otherwise - you might swap out the chest piece for utility or defense.
- Rings: 2nd/3rd Dragon Ring, +2 Bluestone always. Southern Ritual Band always for 20-25 ATT and most of the time for 30. Abyss Seal most of the time, especially for PvP. Last slot covenant or situational. Northern Ritual Band +0 can be good for some spell loadouts.
- Weapons: Dark Sunset Staff, Dark Caitha's Chime, Dark Mace, Lightning Light Crossbow.
- Spell loadouts: For PVP load up Dark Fog, Dark Orb, and Great Resonant Soul. Soul Greatsword is also terrific even with the reduced damage from your dark staff. Generally, start with your chime out and GRS loaded and see if your opponent knows how to roll. If they do, switch to the staff and Dark Fog them. If you level up INT a little or use spices Profound Still is absolutely brutal and Affinity can give you the chance to land GRS on someone.
- For PVE, 2 Dark Orbs, Great Resonant Soul, and the rest based on situation/preference - e.g. Darkstorm when you need AE, Dark Weapon or Resonant Weapon if you want to melee, etc. Yearn and Cast Light are FANTASTIC support sorceries. Dark Orb and your Mace will handle 90% of the problems you run into though.
- Bosses: Pyromancy is also VERY efficient with this build as your Fire damage is also softcapped. Firestorm and Darkstorm will wreck a lot of bosses, especially along with Iron Flesh. Otherwise if you can roll and cast Great Resonant Soul you can kill most bosses in the game.

- Your build at this point is to taste. I took VIG to 20, which I would highly recommend. I also took ATT to 30 so I could do without the Southern Ritual Ring if I wanted. I'm holding at level 85 to see what they do with Soul Memory and SL.
- You have enough levels left over to go dex / dark katana which is really nice or heavy into STR, in both cases getting 16-20 ADP and 10-20 END is also advised. 1 point in Dex lets you use the Heavy Crossbow. It's not hard to get enough STR/DEX to 2-hand some good stuff.
- Going FTH or INT heavy is inadvisable due to having to mix and match catalysts and infusions, but raising both to 33, 36, or 40 can be good to open up some utility paths and maximize dark damage.

Mainly, have fun with it. There are a lot of cool spells and the weapon buffs are also useful. The AEs are a great mix of power and oh-poo poo-I'm-frozen-in-this-animation-for-20-minutes terror. Chicks and fatties look great in lion mage gear.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Cardiovorax posted:

Although the Pyromancy Flame matters much more, if the attack rating can be believed. Most staves only go to maybe 180 or so even fully upgraded, while the flame reaches about 300 at +10.

Yeah but unlike in Ds1 where the cost for each upgrade scaled exponentially, getting all the way to +10 pyromaniac hand costs 15-20,000 souls tops, with the addition of needing a fire seed each level, which drop like candy. Hell, I didn't even realize you needed fire seeds until I hit +10, and looked down to see that I still have 3 left. :stare:

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's really dumb. The whole point of pyromancy was that it didn't scale and cost a ton of souls to upgrade your hand, but was a good source of high damage without having to pump up Intelligence or Faith. But now it scales off both. loving hell. :sigh:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

It's more just that most staves are pretty lovely, while there's a lot less chaff to sift through in your selection of pyromancy flames. The good ones go up that high too, particularly if you infuse them appropriately. Yeah, Sorcerer's Staff is always going to be relatively poor, but it is babby's first sorcery staff.

Magic Staff of Wisdom +5 is 297 magic, while Dark Sunset Staff +5 is 319 dark. Even if you use the less specialized Black Witch's Staff for its versatility, at +10 you've got 220 across the board uninfused, or 263 for magic/dark and 205 for the rest if you infuse it.

Analogi
Mar 31, 2011

What the duck?

Analogi fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 26, 2014

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Ice_Mallet posted:

If you don't have enough attuement or castings to traverse an area with magic, you simply shouldn't be using pure magic. I don't know what stats you have on the side, but it might be a good time to accustom yourself to the dagger, at least.

I've just acquired a third attunement slot, having 60 Soul Arrow and 15 Greater Soul Arrow. I've been putting the rest in Intelligence. I'll get good with the dagger, although I've been using the binoculars and staff most of the time.

Vil posted:

If you're a caster who needs spell recharges, a melee who needs durability recharges, or an anything who needs estus recharges, let me introduce you to your new best friend, the small white soapstone. (Head upstairs from the second - cardinal tower - bonfire in the Forest of the Fallen Giants, which should be the first area you poke around in after Majula.)

It lets you be summoned for a very brief co-op jaunt, after which - if it's successful - you'll be dropped off right where you were, fully restocked and repaired as if you'd rested at a bonfire, but without respawning any enemies. You also get a smooth and silky stone to trade with the crows in Things Betwixt at your convenience.

If you die in the process, if your host dies in the process, or if your host is an rear end in a top hat and either black crystals you away or goes through the door of a boss they've already beaten (which sends you away too), then you'll be dropped off right where you were, minus any spells/durability/estus you used when co-oping, with no reward and no refill.

That said, it's usually successful, but still, it's better not to wait until you're nearly completely drained before doing this, just in case it doesn't work out. 1/3 to 1/2 charges/durability is generally good.

Just like resting at a bonfire, this also doesn't repair completely broken items. It refills durability back up to max on still-usable items. To repair something that's completely broken, hit up a blacksmith.

I've heard of the Soapstones and such but didn't realize they refilled you. I'll pick it up. Just to check, do you have to worry about spell charges and such while a shade?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

e: ^ You start the co-op session with however many charges/durability you had in your own world. So if you're drained going in, you won't be of much help to your host. That's why I suggested co-oping relatively early (a third to a half of your charges/durability remaining), before you're super-desperate for a refill.

Sydin posted:

Yeah but unlike in Ds1 where the cost for each upgrade scaled exponentially, getting all the way to +10 pyromaniac hand costs 15-20,000 souls tops, with the addition of needing a fire seed each level, which drop like candy. Hell, I didn't even realize you needed fire seeds until I hit +10, and looked down to see that I still have 3 left. :stare:

That's really dumb. The whole point of pyromancy was that it didn't scale and cost a ton of souls to upgrade your hand, but was a good source of high damage without having to pump up Intelligence or Faith. But now it scales off both. loving hell. :sigh:

Counterpoint: soul level doesn't matter in DS2 like it did in DS1, while total souls gained does matter. In that regard, is there any big difference between "throw a shitload of souls at the flame" and "throw a shitload of souls at your stats"?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

That's a good guide; thanks!

Sydin posted:

Honestly, Pyromancy damage scales way more off the upgrade level of your flame than it does off fire damage.

ReverendMech
Jul 6, 2009
Hey Cowcaster, is your character just named Cowcaster? If so I think I ran into you while I was bellbroing last night.

Speaking of bellbroing, people need to stop trying to hide on the bridge at the entrance to Belfry Luna. It seems like a good idea until you realise that the grey phantoms might have ranged attacks and good luck dodging on that bridge. It's even better when they try to ambush you by hiding next to the doorframe while standing on the edge of the bridge. Cast emit force on the doorframe and watch their plan backfire. Makes me wish this game had messaging so I could get hate mail. :v:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I always thought pyromancy was the poor man's magic anyways, magic for the people who just get up to 10 attunement and don't want to invest anything else, but otherwise wasn't that amazing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pyrolocutus posted:

I've heard of the Soapstones and such but didn't realize they refilled you. I'll pick it up. Just to check, do you have to worry about spell charges and such while a shade?

As a sunbro, I can tell you that your estus/spell uses don't seem to refill after returning to your world. Anything you use is gone. I would assume it works the same for pvp as well as jolly cooperation. This and the fact that you still have to rest at the bonfire after using Homeward to refill are changes I don't like. Unless I'm just remembering Dark Souls 1 wrong.

Caik
Oct 3, 2013

bef posted:

on NG you can pull them one at a time, idk if its any different on higher playthroughs though

It's weird. Sometimes i can pull the first 2 one at a time, but sometimes all of them start attacking me while I'm busy killing the first or second one. No idea why they got pulled, i should be far enough away.

Never managed to pull the last 3 without all of them running at me.

The guy before the fog wall is annoying, too. 12 respawns in NG++ and he will kill you if you make one mistake.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I am a melee bro, as mentioned earlier in this thread. Made it to that medusa bitch boss and got owned, R.I.P. my 50k souls at the time. I have been thinking about spend my boss souls now at Straid. Any tips for which ones own the hardest/smash the best? I also want to get better armor than the Elite Knight stuff, something worth holding on to. I also am not sure about which covenant to join, or if I should join one at all. I don't really use any spells, but that ungodly sun spear thing looks great. It does huge damage. I don't have much interest in PVP, because I'm afraid to get wrecked. Although of the times I've been invaded thus far, I've had another guy with the giant club with me and we wrecked the dude invading. I am definitely a Dark Souls noob. The boss kills were all thanks to the help of phantoms! But yeah, I'm up to Earthen Peak now, if that makes a difference. There's lots of uncleared stuff all the way back to Bastille, I think.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Control Volume posted:

I always thought pyromancy was the poor man's magic anyways, magic for the people who just get up to 10 attunement and don't want to invest anything else, but otherwise wasn't that amazing.

DS1's Great Combustion was my favorite thing ever for tail chops. (Except Kalameet.) It's got the speed of a fast melee weapon with the oomph of a slow one. For the most part though, it was more of a melee-flavored magic, and it didn't have the range/casts of sorcery or the utility of miracles.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Stuff doesn't recharge when you go into the hosts' world, and doesn't recharge if you or the host dies before beating the boss/killing enough dudes. If you do beat the boss though, it's just like resting at a bonfire.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Manatee Cannon posted:

I would assume it works the same for pvp as well as jolly cooperation. This and the fact that you still have to rest at the bonfire after using Homeward to refill are changes I don't like.

Does this mean that enemies don't automatically respawn when you homeward? That'd be kinda nice, actually.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

verybad posted:

Does this mean that enemies don't automatically respawn when you homeward? That'd be kinda nice, actually.

Well buddy I have bad news for you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ran into my first hacker finally. Hit him in the face with a forbidden sun for 0 damage. Too bad for him we were fighting right next to the fog door!

Sydin posted:

If pyromancy didn't have any scaling it would be objectively worse than the other spell schools. Giving it some scaling means pyromancers can still improve their spells. Even if you don't invest anything in int or faith, pyromancy is still strong with an upgraded flame. It just gets better if you can invest souls into those stats.

I think a bigger benefit to leveling those stats up though isn't the damage but the casting speed. In my experience, pyromancys biggest flaw is that it takes forever to cast some spells. Combustion and Forbidden Sun is fast but all the other ones can take quite some time. Lingering flame is particularly heinous. People can cast sunlight spear and OHKO me before my lingering flame cast will even finish.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nah they do. Your stuff doesn't reset, the world does.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Lingering Flame is hilarious in Belfry Luna. Just trap off the top of the stairs of whatever level they're on, drop down to the bottom, and force people up until they hit the flames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Vil posted:

Counterpoint: soul level doesn't matter in DS2 like it did in DS1, while total souls gained does matter. In that regard, is there any big difference between "throw a shitload of souls at the flame" and "throw a shitload of souls at your stats"?

This is true, but it also means that the niche that pyromancy was specifically created to fill no longer needs to be filled. So then why even bother having a separate pyromancy mechanic at all? Just roll all its spells into Intelligence like in DeS.

I mean I guess it still gives you access to spells that don't have a stat requirement, but it just seems odd to me to suddenly introduce stats into a mechanic that was designed to be stat free.