Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

haruspicy posted:

The new Music Assistant add on claims support for sonos, Chromecast, airplay, Home Assistant MediaPlayers, Slimproto (Squeezebox players), Snapcast, Universal Group Player and
UPP/DLNA Players

It’s a full release but idk just how good it is, only recently installed it.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm just trying to find hardware to grab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Cabbages and VHS posted:

If you could live with Bluetooth I'd say look at JBL Flip 4s (and nothing newer because voice assistant was removed after that, lol) and the JBL Connect+ software to sync them.

If you need Wifi and don't want to spend sonos money you could look at using old airplay speakers or something with Logitech Media Server (https://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Logitech_Media_Server) -- I've never done this but people on Reddit seem to have some success with it. Devil may be in the details in terms of "exactly which `old airplay speakers`".

Bluetooth isn't standalone, which is what I want to do. I don't want to have to set anything up to just get some music going.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

JBL Flip 4 is legit decent imo, worth buying one anyway and trying

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have quite a specific thing I'm seeking for my wife who works supporting victims of domestic abuse. She is looking for a video doorbell she can advise clients to get, but the use case adds some requirements:

- It needs to be cheap
- It needs to not have an ongoing monthly cost
- It needs to record to MicroSD or similar

All the things I've found so far seem to not meet one or more of these requirements. Are there any such things out there? Or is she best off recommending a simple camera that does all of that?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Reolinks video doorbells may work, or Amcrest.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I have quite a specific thing I'm seeking for my wife who works supporting victims of domestic abuse. She is looking for a video doorbell she can advise clients to get, but the use case adds some requirements:

- It needs to be cheap

All the things I've found so far seem to not meet one or more of these requirements. Are there any such things out there? Or is she best off recommending a simple camera that does all of that?

I have a reolink WiFi doorbell that I have been very happy with. It's $110 on Amazon so I don't know if that qualifies as cheap but it records to microSD and has no monthly service required, though they are available. I have mine uploading to my NAS via FTP, too. Very simple install.

https://a.co/d/3PTU0wG

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

- It needs to be cheap

The biggest question here is "define cheap".

Knowing a realistic budget makes it significantly easier to make suggestions.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's going to be aliexpress cheap based on that kind of list, and no.....none of them will be worth the $10-40 they cost.

I worked with DV shelters before, so I get their challenges, but this it a thing they need to fundraise for and buy good ones if they think this is a real solution.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

The biggest question here is "define cheap".

Knowing a realistic budget makes it significantly easier to make suggestions.

It's a fair question - the one my wife initially asked me about was £15, but it was cloud only. I presume a loss leader where they make their money on the subscription. I know that price is not representative of anything worth considering, I know what sort of things people would usually get and that they'd be £80+.

Motronic posted:

It's going to be aliexpress cheap based on that kind of list, and no.....none of them will be worth the $10-40 they cost.

I worked with DV shelters before, so I get their challenges, but this it a thing they need to fundraise for and buy good ones if they think this is a real solution.

It's not quite as simple as needing to fund raise in this instance, since this is an interaction of multiple agencies and she's trying to get another agency to pay for the thing. They have a £20 budget, but it was suggested that might stretch.

This did get me to question why it needs to be a doorbell and apparently it doesn't, it was just what she thought of initially to record visitors and in fact a camera would suffice.

So it seems she's actually looking for a camera that can record to local storage, be placed outdoors without wiring, and records audio. I've been looking and even then I'm not sure such a thing exists.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 21, 2024

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Reolink and others make little outdoor cameras that are wifi, record to sd, and can be solar powered. Probably $100+ though with a solar panel.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I don't think I'd trust any mainstream doorbell cameras' onboard storage for DV situations just due to lack of physical security. I wouldn't expect some random porch pirate to try to destroy or steal a doorbell camera but someone who is specifically targeting an individual is a different matter entirely. You don't want what might be the only evidence of a serious crime being stored on something made of plastic and attached to the wall with two random wood screws that might not even be in to anything more than siding or trim.

I would want at least a separate DVR box that could be located somewhere more secure, but I have no idea if any of the on-premise home DVR systems are simple enough that you could reasonably expect a normal person to set it up properly. UniFi and Eufy are the only two local NVR solutions I've seen targeting consumers, UniFi is a bit complicated to get going and Eufy of course had their recent debacle. Cloud then beyond the ongoing cost requires the person have reliable home internet which can be its own problem, so there are no perfect answers.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Trail cameras pretty well fit the bill, but they're going to run ~$50, $100+ for wifi and other geewiz.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

That Works posted:

JBL Flip 4 is legit decent imo, worth buying one anyway and trying

I actually have a very nice bluetooth speaker, but it's not gonna solve my need unfortunately.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Cabbages and VHS posted:

If you could live with Bluetooth I'd say look at JBL Flip 4s (and nothing newer because voice assistant was removed after that, lol) and the JBL Connect+ software to sync them.

If you need Wifi and don't want to spend sonos money you could look at using old airplay speakers or something with Logitech Media Server (https://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Logitech_Media_Server) -- I've never done this but people on Reddit seem to have some success with it. Devil may be in the details in terms of "exactly which `old airplay speakers`".

Hey, thanks for the heads up, also nice to bump into you posting -- you don't know this, but I used to buy you a bunch of avatars, because some shithead was getting you obnoxious homophobic avs at the time (2013ish??), and whenever I noticed that had happened, I got you an av that was just the 3Olives liquor bottle. So, if you have any memory at all of that, that was me :) (This was also several usernames ago, I was some variant of "spengler" at the time).

Are any of the displays you're using touchscreens? The touch stuff looks like it might be somewhat useful (checking off to-do lists etc right on the screen) so I started with a 24" touchscreen display, but I could see having a larger, non-touch display mounted elsewhere. Also, can I ask which plan you're using? It seems to me like the $5/mo plan covers the bases I need right now, and is worth paying for the features offered and lack of ads.

I was WFH before COVID and still am, but my spouse went back to work full time last summer and a lot of organizational poo poo has gotten way harder over that timeframe and I want a Tech Solution :colbert:

Vaguely remember the liquor bottles, the homophobic avatars never really bothered me but thanks for your consideration.

I've toyed with the idea of replacing the kitchen TV with a AIO touch screen for resolution, eliminating the mini-PC that powers it now and webcam but once I went back to the office and we felt safe visiting my in-laws, kitchen video conferencing wasn't a priority at all and I really don't use it for anything but Dakboard and streaming apps through the built in Roku.

I bought two Panasonic Toughpads with the idea of maybe using them as some kind of Home Assistant/Dakboard hybrid, never got around to it. Functionally I just use one of them for cooking because it can be hosed off in the sink or hanging out in the backyard because it's sunlight readable and can be dropped or whatever. I have the $10 a month plan, looks like they have modified the plans at some point when I wasn't paying attention and I could move to the $5 plan.

Honestly, the giant (It's 55") screen in my office could go, it was super helpful to have a giant calendar and to-do list when I was full-time WFH, super in your face keep you focused, it just does weather and news headlines now but both my husband and myself have honestly kind of gotten used having what is basically a giant picture frame and looking there for the forecast/news headlines, so it sticks around.

We do have a 32" Frame TV mounted vertically in the hallway that we uses as a giant digital photo frame, I have been firmly instructed that it is never, ever, ever to be turned into a Dakboard used as a TV. One time when we had severe weather I turned on the weather on the hallway Frame TV and I got a very serious "We talked about this. No."

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 22, 2024

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Has anyone encountered issues with Shelly plugs causing power to cycle? I've had 3 mysterious power offs of my severs using the plugs (for power monitoring) in the last 12 hours, no logs of anything of note in HA.

On the subject, is there a better way to get power draw info out of the computers? I'd expect I could use a software solution and have it push to HA or the like.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Warbird posted:

Has anyone encountered issues with Shelly plugs causing power to cycle? I've had 3 mysterious power offs of my severs using the plugs (for power monitoring) in the last 12 hours, no logs of anything of note in HA.

On the subject, is there a better way to get power draw info out of the computers? I'd expect I could use a software solution and have it push to HA or the like.

If you're using Zigbee, the Aqara plugs report power use (both in W for the usage right now and aggregated in kWH, which you can use for the Energy reports in Home assistant). They also have a setting for how to behave on power loss (defaults to remember the previous state).

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

- It needs to be cheap

£40 will get you a Blink doorbell camera that can record to a (Included) hub, just gotta bring your own USB drive. https://amzn.eu/d/8CH1j25

If it doesn't need to be a doorbell then (TP-Link) Tapo cameras can often be got for £20, are solid and record to MicroSD with no subscription. https://amzn.eu/d/4PTRGOc

SEKCobra posted:

I want to finally get rid of the last cloud crap in my smart home environment and all that is left is Alexa. I got them because they were cheap AF wifi speakers. Is there anything comparable yet? I mostly want an affordable small music player for every room. If it is compatible with home assistant voice it would be neat, but it's not a must for me. Synced playback would be neat, but seems to be patent locked or something.

Take a look at WiiM - they've largely filled the spot in the market that the old Chromecast Audio dongles used to fill, just bring your own speaker(s)

blunt fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 23, 2024

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Tamba posted:

If you're using Zigbee, the Aqara plugs report power use (both in W for the usage right now and aggregated in kWH, which you can use for the Energy reports in Home assistant). They also have a setting for how to behave on power loss (defaults to remember the previous state).

I’m doing both but I’ll keep that in mind. The plugs in question are Z-wave and are set to stay on after power loss. Though no power loss or switching was logged. They’re also behind my UPS so they’re getting conditioned power as well.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Since i've recently changed my wifi kit, i've decided to create a new SSID along with a new password as the old one was unchanged for a decade give or take.

I'll be damned but there was no way to make my netatmo kit get on the new network using either current apple kit or recent android(v10). The older units included a legacy (windows xp certified to give you an idea on how old) usb path so i've done that way, the newer app only sensors won't collaborate. I guess the current privacy and security mitigations gently caress with the old code too much or my new wifi kit doesn't gel with them. I will try migrating my withings and daikin smart kit this weekend, I hope it will be less of an hassle.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I have ordered one of these to try out, it seems to be exactly what I want and could even work as a voice assistant.

https://raspiaudio.com/product/esp-muse-luxe/

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
So my understanding is smart things is dead, so it's hubitat the best alternative? I have a bunch of z wave, hue, and various Google/other smart devices...

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Kwolok posted:

So my understanding is smart things is dead, so it's hubitat the best alternative? I have a bunch of z wave, hue, and various Google/other smart devices...

Hubitat is good and can serve as a bridge for your devices. I went from Hubitat to Home Assistant and like it even more, but Home Assistant is harder to configure (IMO). There will be a learning curve to both systems, however.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
What is the hardware situation like for either? I would like to just buy something that has it all and I can just configure it

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Kwolok posted:

What is the hardware situation like for either? I would like to just buy something that has it all and I can just configure it

Hubitat is a single hub that you run. It has a z-wave and Zigbee radio built in. Home Assistant requires more hardware.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Kwolok posted:

There are pre-configured Home Assistant things (eg Home Assistant Green); doesn’t contain hardware for Zigbee or Zwave but very easy to integrate either after the fact if you need to, whether with a Zwave stick or with HA’s SkyConnect which does Zigbee (and eventually Thread/Matter).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What’s the thread’s take on Matter? I ask from two perspectives:

1) I’m currently running mostly z-wave lights and smart outlets, but have generally found z-wave to be annoying to debug and manage, even with the much-better zwave stuff that HA switched to a couple of years ago. I have a bunch of things I want to connect to The System, and I’m wondering if I should look for Matter support as a path to a better experience

2) I’m lightly considering a job working on some Matter-related software stuff, and I dunno if that ecosystem is really healthy or not, or if it’s just going to be Apple forever, or what

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

1) I’m currently running mostly z-wave lights and smart outlets, but have generally found z-wave to be annoying to debug and manage, even with the much-better zwave stuff that HA switched to a couple of years ago. I have a bunch of things I want to connect to The System, and I’m wondering if I should look for Matter support as a path to a better experience

2) I’m lightly considering a job working on some Matter-related software stuff, and I dunno if that ecosystem is really healthy or not, or if it’s just going to be Apple forever, or what

I'm supposed to be able to integrate my Aqara hub to Home Assistant via Matter but have never been able to get it to work so I can control my door lock via HA. There have been a few updates, I need to try to integrate again. But so far I haven't had any success with Matter.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Subjunctive posted:

When Matter was first announced, my immediate thought was xkcdstandards.png

I haven't really seen anything about Matter that's made me think otherwise.

I'd rather just get stuff that's known to work in general than stuff that's made to work with Matter.

For example, I think a lot of people will agree that the price for Hue bulbs kind of suck, but they also just work and are reliable in a way other bulbs aren't.

Also as much as I kind of don't want to use wifi connected devices, nearly all my smart outlets and smart plugs are Kasa because for me, they just work, and with HA, they work locally and they're fast.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I've been all in on zwave because I've installed switches, which act as repeaters, pretty much everywhere. So all the other battery/non repeater stuff just works.

Even the Home Assistant Zigbee dongle can't do matter properly yet. I don't understand what it's for, or why its use case makes any sense considering what already exists.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Motronic posted:

I've been all in on zwave because I've installed switches, which act as repeaters, pretty much everywhere. So all the other battery/non repeater stuff just works.

Even the Home Assistant Zigbee dongle can't do matter properly yet. I don't understand what it's for, or why its use case makes any sense considering what already exists.

I didn’t think you could really run Matter over Zigbee, because (IIRC) Zigbee is basically an app protocol and there’s no reasonable way to use it for arbitrary packets.

What do you do for cameras?

I think Matter is trying to solve some real problems (one of which is the requirement to license ZWave tech) and that being IP-based will make for a much more powerful set of tools for managing things, but it doesn’t seem very baked yet.

I guess that’s why this job is open, heh

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

What are your issues with the Z-Wave stuff? I’m not trying to say you don’t have a problem, I’ve just only seen one with Z-wave everywhere is a friend who has every switch in his house is Z-Wave and his alarm.com box stops responding if he accidentally hits “all devices off”, and that’s just the controller software; mesh itself is fine. I’m surprised!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hed posted:

What are your issues with the Z-Wave stuff? I’m not trying to say you don’t have a problem, I’ve just only seen one with Z-wave everywhere is a friend who has every switch in his house is Z-Wave and his alarm.com box stops responding if he accidentally hits “all devices off”, and that’s just the controller software; mesh itself is fine. I’m surprised!

if a device stops responding, or is responding slowly, it’s very hard to figure out what is actually wrong. plus the “scene” orientation of how commands work make the theoretical device-to-device communication stuff pretty awkward in my experience

some of that is no doubt because I’m much more familiar with the IP stack and protocols than I am with zwave, but I can’t find the equivalent of wireshark or similar, and you have to purchase the developer kit to get any low-level detail about things

plus you have to pay to play if you want to implement zwave in hardware, and AFAIK there’s still only one supplier of the underlying PHY (Silicon Labs) which just irks me as the basis for an ecosystem.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Subjunctive posted:

I didn’t think you could really run Matter over Zigbee, because (IIRC) Zigbee is basically an app protocol and there’s no reasonable way to use it for arbitrary packets.

What do you do for cameras?

I think Matter is trying to solve some real problems (one of which is the requirement to license ZWave tech) and that being IP-based will make for a much more powerful set of tools for managing things, but it doesn’t seem very baked yet.

I guess that’s why this job is open, heh

Zigbee uses the same radio specs of Thread (802.15.4), so theoretically any zigbee device could be moved to Matter+Thread if there is interest from the device maker into not making users buy new kit for the upgrade.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SlowBloke posted:

Zigbee uses the same radio specs of Thread (802.15.4), so theoretically any zigbee device could be moved to Matter+Thread if there is interest from the device maker into not making users buy new kit for the upgrade.

Oh, yeah, if you reprogram the radio and the stack is split that way, sure. I thought OP was talking about using Zigbee itself, not just the RF part.

Makes sense.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I was talking specifically about how half baked matter is that even the home assistant dev team can't get running reliably on their own hardware, which is a zigbee device that they claim will support matter. https://www.home-assistant.io/skyconnect/

Again, it looks half baked, and I question the need for the type of debugging you seem to be concerned with. With Zigbee when properly set up this stuff just works. If you have a bunch of devices not responding/responding slowly look at a topology map to figure out which one is the problem. That's about as deep as someone using them needs to go. If matter requires opening up wireshark on the reg it's by definition a failure.

If what you're trying to do is create a development testbed so you can tear the protocol/devices apart that's a very different problem space and not what any of the things we're discussing here are designed to solve.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Motronic posted:

I was talking specifically about how half baked matter is that even the home assistant dev team can't get running reliably on their own hardware, which is a zigbee device that they claim will support matter. https://www.home-assistant.io/skyconnect/

Is that because of a problem with the protocol, or because of the limitations of the firmware they’re working with? It sounds from that page like they were trying to use a unified firmware to support both Zigbee and Thread, and are instead going to have different firmwares for those protocols. I don’t see what their difficulties supporting Thread that way says about how well-formed Matter is as a protocol.

What do you think needs to be improved about Matter?

But then why is there hardware support required for Matter at all? I thought it was atop IP, and everything under that was Thread or Wifi or Ethernet or whatever you wanted. I don’t expect my wifi driver to need to know anything about Matter, like it doesn’t know anything about TLS.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Subjunctive posted:

Is that because of a problem with the protocol, or because of the limitations of the firmware they’re working with? It sounds from that page like they were trying to use a unified firmware to support both Zigbee and Thread, and are instead going to have different firmwares for those protocols. I don’t see what their difficulties supporting Thread that way says about how well-formed Matter is as a protocol.

What do you think needs to be improved about Matter?

But then why is there hardware support required for Matter at all? I thought it was atop IP, and everything under that was Thread or Wifi or Ethernet or whatever you wanted. I don’t expect my wifi driver to need to know anything about Matter, like it doesn’t know anything about TLS.

One of the biggest pain point of Matter is that everything runs on IPv6, so low complexity devices will have to clash against the overhead of a protocol designed to handle million of devices in the same network segment. Also the supported devices types list is abnormally short, excluding a lot of stuff that should have been there day one.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
It doesn't look like anyone else is seriously trying to solve the (very hard) problem that matter is. I've got a few matter lights and they work fine with HA using a home pod as a bridge which is wild.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TwoDice posted:

It doesn't look like anyone else is seriously trying to solve the (very hard) problem that matter is. I've got a few matter lights and they work fine with HA using a home pod as a bridge which is wild.

That's been the conversation here: what problem is that? All of matter's problems seem self-created. What is it doing that can't be done with existing standards? Adding the complexity of IP to avoid device-specific proxies is not a good answer to this question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SlowBloke posted:

One of the biggest pain point of Matter is that everything runs on IPv6, so low complexity devices will have to clash against the overhead of a protocol designed to handle million of devices in the same network segment. Also the supported devices types list is abnormally short, excluding a lot of stuff that should have been there day one.

This is interesting, thank you. I hadn't understood this to be a big problem, because of the 6LoWPAN/RFC4944 work to specifically adapt IPv6 for low-power, low-compute devices.

Are people trying to put Matter on 802.15.4 or similar PHYs using something other than Thread or RFC4944? Can you point me to more discussion of these challenges? I'm trying to learn a lot more about this space, as you might imagine.

Motronic posted:

the complexity of IP to avoid device-specific proxies is not a good answer to this question.

What are the complexities of IP that you think are most challenging here? It's not a general-purpose IP fabric for routing your web traffic over or anything, and there is a lot of prior art on making robust, efficient IP stacks as well as validating them as correct and interoperable.

Zwave and Zigbee have addressed connectivity interoperability issues through the trick of sole-sourcing the proprietary PHY for the entire ecosystem. I don't think that's really a great model for a healthy ecosystem of personal device control, but I am generally greatly in favour of removing IP barriers to interoperable competition. It's hard and comparatively expensive to make your own device that participates in Zwave or Zigbee (since it involves sourcing that same SL chip in small quantities). Zigbee is better than Zwave here because at least it's the same hardware globally instead of having regional variations.

I have lived many painful years through both failed (XMPP) and successful (<video> tag, JS) attempts to unify existing systems, but in my experience it's hard to tell a priori whether it's going to result in more fragmentation or a trend towards interoperability. With the Zigbee Alliance being a founding member of the CSA (and Zigbee seeming to have a lot more mindshare than Zwave), I think there's a good chance of the latter, if the Matter protocol strategy and especially extensibility story is managed well.

Ultimately, if Matter doesn't provide value to developers, manufacturers, and consumers, then it will never find a place in the market and I'll have to wait for someone else to displace all the proprietary stuff with something open and royalty-free...