Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Woww they changed the praying hands this shits weak 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Huh. I wonder why the new emoji doesn'y

or nvm

It's Chrome

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

You mean the high fiving hands?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Wait other than skin tone how have they changed? 🙏🏻🙏🏼🙏🏽🙏🏾🙏🏿🙏

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Question Mark Mound posted:

Wait other than skin tone how have they changed? 🙏🏻🙏🏼🙏🏽🙏🏾🙏🏿🙏

There's no lil spark anymore.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Wondering if the next update allows polygamous and polylandrist families to get emojis - though I'm surprised the generic family ones are all yellow without a color change. 🐉🐉🐉 dragon life

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Then you'd have to have mixed race families too. Somebody do the math on that.

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
I have a new iPhone and I want to make a complete backup of the old iPhone's data. And by complete I mean absolutely loving everything: settings, data, apps, media, the lot. Unfortunately, iTunes only copies around 200 MB of the roughly 10 GB it actually holds. That's with the encryption option checked. If I ask iTunes to sync the media, it wants to nuke what's on the phone and sync from the computer, which is useless because I don't have any of that data locally due to a fresh installation. I used CopyTrans Shelbee, but its backup is still only something like 2 GB. Is there a free program for Windows does what should be the simple task of making a complete backup of an iPhone?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Did you try iCloud backup?

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
If I use iCloud photo backup, can I then delete backed up photos from my device without iCloud syncing the deletions?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mush Man posted:

I have a new iPhone and I want to make a complete backup of the old iPhone's data. And by complete I mean absolutely loving everything: settings, data, apps, media, the lot. Unfortunately, iTunes only copies around 200 MB of the roughly 10 GB it actually holds. That's with the encryption option checked. If I ask iTunes to sync the media, it wants to nuke what's on the phone and sync from the computer, which is useless because I don't have any of that data locally due to a fresh installation. I used CopyTrans Shelbee, but its backup is still only something like 2 GB. Is there a free program for Windows does what should be the simple task of making a complete backup of an iPhone?

Try iExplorer for music, for apps just download them again or let iTunes do a full sync once the music copies and you're cool to scrub it. Settings and data are going to be included in that 200MB iTunes backup, just not the apps themselves.

If your music's all from iTunes and not ripped or "other" sources, also worth mentioning the iTunes Erase and Sync pretty much won't touch any of it and even if it does, it's free to download old purchases.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

voltron posted:

If I use iCloud photo backup, can I then delete backed up photos from my device without iCloud syncing the deletions?

Nope

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Not sure why I would use this service at all then. May as well use Carousel or any other service out there to protect against accidental deletion. I guess you could also use iPhoto if you happen to use an Apple computer.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

RhoA posted:

Not sure why I would use this service at all then. May as well use Carousel or any other service out there to protect against accidental deletion. I guess you could also use iPhoto if you happen to use an Apple computer.

Photos are moved to the "Recently Deleted" album for 30 days before actually being deleted.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm pretty sure you can have photos exist in the cloud alone too.

I dunno, I don't gently caress with photos that much.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Curious for those of you who work in service/retail/etc, how many iPhone users don't use iCloud or iTunes to backup their data? I have friends who I keep telling them to sign up for iCloud but they don't do it for one reason or another and this always happens:

Me: Hey want to catch a movie?
Them: Who is this?
Me: Err, its Shaocaholica
Them: Oh I lost my old phone so I don't have your number anymore
Me: *facepalm*

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

I dunno, I don't gently caress with photos that much.

Nope, needs to have at least one local copy somewhere.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Nope, needs to have at least one local copy somewhere.

That's not a requirement at all.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

noirstronaut posted:

If this is true, I'd love to know how to do it. Because right now if I delete a photo off my iPhone, it's deleted from iCloud as well...

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Vanellope posted:

If this is true, I'd love to know how to do it. Because right now if I delete a photo off my iPhone, it's deleted from iCloud as well...

This is the basic conceptual issue people are having. The central conceit of iCloud Photo Library is that you want access to all of your photos everywhere.

iCloud Photo Library has no concept of "on my iPhone" or "on my Mac" or "on my iPad".

iCloud Photo Library is iCloud Photo Library, period. Any device is just a means of accessing your library. You have one library. It lives in iCloud. If you delete a photo, you're deleting it from the library.

If you don't want full-size images sucking up your storage, you turn on Optimize Storage, and let iOS manage your copies a la iTunes Match. (But unlike iTunes Match, you can't say "don't store this one image on this one device at all.") If you don't want a single library with everything everywhere, you don't use iCloud Photo Library.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 13, 2015

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Molten Llama posted:

If you don't want full-size images sucking up your storage, you turn on Optimize Storage, and let iOS manage your copies a la iTunes Match. If you don't want everything everywhere, you don't use iCloud Photo Library.

I understand that, what I don't understand is why everything has to be in my camera roll. It's not about storage, it's just the mess it creates -- 6000+ photos in one place makes it hard for me to find what I'm looking for. I was hoping it would be more like the old Photostream, a separate album named "iCloud" or whatever, so that I could have the photos I want on my phone in my camera roll, and the rest would all be in this album.

I guess I just don't like the way iOS handles photos. Everything goes in the camera roll including wallpapers, screenshots, etc and there's no way to move the images somewhere else, you can only copy them to albums but you can't delete them from your camera roll. So you end up with this huge mess. I don't necessarily want to delete my screenshots and wallpapers off my phone, but I don't want them backed up with my photos and showing up on my Mac, for example. It's just weird that I can't say "don't upload this", or "don't show these on my phone" I guess.

e: it would be nice if I could at least disable backups for images that are not photos or something.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
That's similar to my issue. I use use a streaming service for music and iCloud backups have eliminated my need for iTunes with exception to photos. I have 4000 photos that I'd like to offload. Anyway, guess I'll have to sync to iTunes to do that eventually.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Posting here since Google tells me this is a common problem:

IOS 8.3 finally fixed an issue I've had since day 1: not being able to disable 3G.
At home my stupid 5S would aggresively look for the 3G network even if there was barely one bar while 2G networks had 3 or even 4.
Decent voice calls were not possible except in two tiny spots of my apartment but now it's perfect again. Still a pain to have to remember to switch 3G back on when leaving, but IFTTT reminds me...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

voltron posted:

That's similar to my issue. I use use a streaming service for music and iCloud backups have eliminated my need for iTunes with exception to photos. I have 4000 photos that I'd like to offload. Anyway, guess I'll have to sync to iTunes to do that eventually.
You don't have to sync with iTunes to save photos.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
After X number of years, I'm still amazed that they haven't been able to come up with a decent way of handling and backing up photos. Dropbox's camera upload works perfectly (for me, at least) and it's easy to understand. Why not just have something like that? It would take something more for existing Dropbox users to make the switch though, I would imagine.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I have carousel and one drive uploading away in the background cos I just don't trust iCloud (or myself ) not to lose y photos.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Any cool looking iPhone 6 docks that you guys can recommend?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm using an iPhone 5 and I just wanted to add that 8.3 has noticeably improved performance, probably the best it's been since 7.1.2.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I took my 6 in yesterday because it suddenly developed a weird blemish in/on the camera. While checking things out, the genius mentioned that the only diagnostic flag he was seeing in the software was that the process that governs swiping gestures (?) was constantly overloaded on my phone. Anyone ever hear about this?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I'm using an iPhone 5 and I just wanted to add that 8.3 has noticeably improved performance, probably the best it's been since 7.1.2.

Same on my 5s. Big boost

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I took my 6 in yesterday because it suddenly developed a weird blemish in/on the camera. While checking things out, the genius mentioned that the only diagnostic flag he was seeing in the software was that the process that governs swiping gestures (?) was constantly overloaded on my phone. Anyone ever hear about this?

You tinder fiend, you!

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

tuyop posted:

You tinder fiend, you!

Haw! But yeah, the guy's advice was to reset the phone literally every day, which doesn't sound 1) realistic 2) reasonable to me.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
That's dumb as hell and you should go back and mention the "solution" you were given.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Haw! But yeah, the guy's advice was to reset the phone literally every day, which doesn't sound 1) realistic 2) reasonable to me.

Did he at least take care of the blemish on the camera?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
My wife and I have a shared Photostream that we'd like to upload elsewhere as an album. Is there any way to export the whole batch to either a computer or Facebook? For Facebook, I see the built-in share option but can't see any way to simply select all photos in an album. And if I plug my phone into a computer I think it just dumps all photos into a dated folder, with no respect to albums.

I've already done tons of quality control and sent the good pics from camera roll to the Photostream album. Hoping to avoid doing that again.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 13, 2015

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

RhoA posted:

Did he at least take care of the blemish on the camera?

Oh yeah, they replaced the camera.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So while trying to transfer some stuff from my iPhone 5 over to my new iPhone 6 Plus, I tried updating the iPhone 5 to OS 8.3 (because I was trying to sync it to iTunes and it wasn't working), but the update didn't work because of an "unknown error", and now I can't seem to get ANYTHING on my iPhone 5 to work. It says I have to either update it to 8.3 or restore it (which would delete my data) and I really don't want to lose my old notes and voicemails and poo poo and oh god what do I do? :ohdear:

EDIT: I think I have some stuff saved in a backup, but I'm not sure how to find that backup anymore. I've been working on this crap all afternoon.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 14, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Back up to iCloud and restore your 6+ from that.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I can't think of another place to ask about the issue I'm having.

I just upgraded to a 6, and I'm getting everything customized the way I like it.

Only problem I'm having is that my google calendar won't sync with the calendar app. In fact my google calendar isn't even an option under the 'calendars' section within the calendar app. I also can't add new events to the calendar app because the + sign is greyed out.

I have added my google account to the 'mail,contacts, and calendar' section of settings, and the calendar button is enabled.

I have tried restarting as well as removing my google account and re-adding it.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

shootforit posted:

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I can't think of another place to ask about the issue I'm having.

I just upgraded to a 6, and I'm getting everything customized the way I like it.

Only problem I'm having is that my google calendar won't sync with the calendar app. In fact my google calendar isn't even an option under the 'calendars' section within the calendar app. I also can't add new events to the calendar app because the + sign is greyed out.

I have added my google account to the 'mail,contacts, and calendar' section of settings, and the calendar button is enabled.

I have tried restarting as well as removing my google account and re-adding it.

Thoughts?

Are you using multifactor authentication?