Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Neo_Crimson posted:

So I just got an email from CitiBank saying my Double Cash card will now give me ThankYou (TM) points instead. They said it cans till be redeemed for cash the exchange rate will be the same, but I seriously doubt that will last.

What are some other options for actual cash back cards? I have a Discover card that does 2% on gas/restaurants + 1% everything else, but it doesn't give as much payout.

Fidelity 2% is about as straightforward as it gets, with cash going into a brokerage account (that can be easily transferred out if you want). There are a few other options as well if you look back a few pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Virtue posted:

I've finally emptied my chase point balance right in time for my CSR renewal so I think I'll cancel it for the time being. Once pleasure/business travel ramps up again I'm thinking about doing the amex plat bonus through schwab or maybe one of the sapphires again since it's been a while since I got any bonuses through chase. Anything else I should be considering? Citi prestige popped up on my radar too but it looks like it's closed to new apps. In the mean time I'm going to use my citi doublecash for everything. Also any advice on what I should product change my CSR too? I already have a freedom and a FU so not sure if it matters.

You could change to a Freedom Flex which offers some benefits the regular Freedom doesn't, such as cell phone insurance.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Neo_Crimson posted:

So I just got an email from CitiBank saying my Double Cash card will now give me ThankYou (TM) points instead. They said it cans till be redeemed for cash the exchange rate will be the same, but I seriously doubt that will last.
This is the same arrangement they had from the start on Custom Cash. Since both cards have "Cash" in the name, it's unlikely that Citi would stop cash redemption short of withdrawing the product. More likely it is a legal/bookkeeping maneuver that you need not worry about.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
One of the positive changes they are making with the switch to points is eliminating the redemption minimum. You can redeem just 1 point for 1c as a direct deposit or statement credit.
They can be devalued, so just don't keep a ton of points stockpiled. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

new Amex Plat card design is p. dope

right now I have for fee cards:

amex plat
amex bonvoy
sapphire preferred
amex prime (don't really count this)
amex blue cash

I will cancel the CSP when the fee is close so I don't lose my sign on bonus points, and I want to cancel the bonvoy -- but its my second oldest account (10 years) and I''m concerned on what that'd due to my credit history. is there any no fee I could move this too?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

The Amex Marriott card is the only Marriott personal card Amex has (the no fee card is a Chase product).I don't think there's anywhere for you to product change to, since no other personal card Amex has earns Bonvoy points.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

astral posted:

You could change to a Freedom Flex which offers some benefits the regular Freedom doesn't, such as cell phone insurance.

Thanks for the tip, didn't know this card existed

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

saintonan posted:

The Amex Marriott card is the only Marriott personal card Amex has (the no fee card is a Chase product).I don't think there's anywhere for you to product change to, since no other personal card Amex has earns Bonvoy points.

Bummer. I had it for an old job where we only stayed at Marriott so I’d get 3-4 free nights a year, but that’s gone and the point inflation has made the free night award worthless.

I called and threatened to cancel last year and they gave me $200 worth of points, but I don’t think that’s gonna work again.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
are utilization penalties applied on a per card basis, or aggregate? i only ask kuz i wanna buy a new computer but that'd put my apple card above the 50% mark. if so i can toss it on another card that aint got other poo poo on it but i want the no interest thing.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Smythe posted:

are utilization penalties applied on a per card basis, or aggregate? i only ask kuz i wanna buy a new computer but that'd put my apple card above the 50% mark. if so i can toss it on another card that aint got other poo poo on it but i want the no interest thing.

My understanding is that if you max out one of your cards, that can spook other lenders into thinking you're about to commit bust-out fraud. 50% is probably fine but you might take a small/temporary credit score hit.

Has it been a while since you last asked for an apple card credit limit increase? Seems easy and sounds like it's a soft pull:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212307

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Smythe posted:

If you pay down the balance before the statement hits, it doesn't count as utilization. Not sure if that's a viable option for you.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

astral posted:

My understanding is that if you max out one of your cards, that can spook other lenders into thinking you're about to commit bust-out fraud. 50% is probably fine but you might take a small/temporary credit score hit.

Has it been a while since you last asked for an apple card credit limit increase? Seems easy and sounds like it's a soft pull:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212307

I see, thanks. I only got the card in May 2021 so it's probably not going to move much, and the limit was reasonable for my income. I'll give it a shot anyways and see what happens tho! many thanks!

CubicalSucrose posted:

If you pay down the balance before the statement hits, it doesn't count as utilization. Not sure if that's a viable option for you.

white hypothetically I can pay down the balance, the only poo poo on it is apple crap that has no interest and I'm working down other things that DO have interest, so I'd prefer to keep that stuff on the predetermined installment schedule they're on. agg

i literally just finished paying off babys first CC which has 23% interest or some poo poo lol. :drat: and also the no interest doublecash I balance xfered that shits junk too. SUCH IS LIFE.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Also correct me if I'm wrong but utilization has no memory, so your high utilization will only hurt your credit score until you pay it down. Just a temporary bump

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

ranbo das posted:

Also correct me if I'm wrong but utilization has no memory, so your high utilization will only hurt your credit score until you pay it down. Just a temporary bump

That's correct. Utilization gets recalculated every time a creditor posts something new to your file.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

saintonan posted:

That's correct. Utilization gets recalculated every time a creditor posts something new to your file.

Just for clarification, it recalculates only utilization from the creditor reporting and adjusts your running total accordingly.

e.g. Paying off card A won't be reflected until creditor A submits the next statement not when creditor B, C, or D submit theirs. And it's even card specific, so if you have two cards from creditor A, you need the next statement from the specific card in question.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I decided to switch banks after moving and seeing that RBC had an offer of a free iPad if one were to set up a Chequings account with 1) payroll deposit and 2) two monthly deductions (my old bank offered nothing and the local branch is open for a couple hours a day at this point). *The offer had a deadline of Feb 28th

I switched over my payroll and, after a lot of time on the phone, got both my home insurance and car insurance (same company, two different transactions) to go through my new account. When I phoned a rep the day after my insurances came out I was told that despite what the offer said, the call center team leader told the employees that the withdraws had to be from two different companies or else the system wouldn't count them and that there was nothing that they could do.

I scrambled (feeling bwm even more at this point) and set up my phone bill to come out a week later, however it didn't and the rep for that company said I probably switched my billing too late and they would just charge me double next month.

Feeling annoyed at this point, but thought it might be worth asking this thread if there was anything I might be able to do, assuming CC rewards are similar to bank offers.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 12, 2022

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

I decided to switch banks after moving and seeing that RBC had an offer of a free iPad if one were to set up a Chequings account with 1) payroll deposit and 2) two monthly deductions (my old bank offered nothing and the local branch is open for a couple hours a day at this point). *The offer had a deadline of Feb 28th

I switched over my payroll and, after a lot of time on the phone, got both my home insurance and car insurance (same company, two different transactions) to go through my new account. When I phoned a rep the day after my insurances came out I was told that despite what the offer said, the call center team leader told the employees that the withdraws had to be from two different companies or else the system wouldn't count them and that there was nothing that they could do.

I scrambled (feeling bwm even more at this point) and set up my phone bill to come out a week later, however it didn't and the rep for that company said I probably switched my billing too late and they would just charge me double next month.

Feeling annoyed at this point, but thought it might be worth asking this thread if there was anything I might be able to do, assuming CC rewards are similar to bank offers.

Do you have a utility bill you can pay via deduction? Maybe sent the power company $20 via a manual payment to see if that triggers the deduction credit.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

FunOne posted:

Do you have a utility bill you can pay via deduction? Maybe sent the power company $20 via a manual payment to see if that triggers the deduction credit.

Apparently they have to be pre-authorized payments

Details on the offer are here.. Nothing about separate companies. I guess I may have to go into the local branch, however I doubt they can do much.

Edit: Wait, maybe I would just have set it up to pay a couple bills and then pay them early?

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 12, 2022

astral
Apr 26, 2004

That link goes to one that says it's expired, but if the terms are the same that offer says to choose two of the three on the list: if you set up two bill payments (does that need to be through a Bill Pay section on their site?) that should count instead of the pre-authorized one (again, assuming the terms are the same, so make sure to check).

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think it says expired because of the Dec 20th deadline to set up their Chequing account (which I did in time).

I'm going to phone them tomorrow and try to escalate. All else fails, try to pay our electric and internet bills early and just modify the amounts in subsequent months.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

I think it says expired because of the Dec 20th deadline to set up their Chequing account (which I did in time).

I'm going to phone them tomorrow and try to escalate. All else fails, try to pay our electric and internet bills early and just modify the amounts in subsequent months.

Yeah, in that case depending on how they define "bill payments" you probably just need to go to their site's bill pay section and pay a couple of bills from there, no sweat.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Virtue posted:

I've finally emptied my chase point balance right in time for my CSR renewal so I think I'll cancel it for the time being. Once pleasure/business travel ramps up again I'm thinking about doing the amex plat bonus through schwab or maybe one of the sapphires again since it's been a while since I got any bonuses through chase. Anything else I should be considering? Citi prestige popped up on my radar too but it looks like it's closed to new apps. In the mean time I'm going to use my citi doublecash for everything. Also any advice on what I should product change my CSR too? I already have a freedom and a FU so not sure if it matters.

Went through with this and ended up changing to a freedom unlimited (they said the flex would require closing the account because it's a mastercard) but they really were not happy that I now have two freedom unlimiteds open at the same time. Hope that doesn't cause any issues down the road when I want to apply back for the CSR or CSP bonus.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Virtue posted:

Went through with this and ended up changing to a freedom unlimited (they said the flex would require closing the account because it's a mastercard) but they really were not happy that I now have two freedom unlimiteds open at the same time. Hope that doesn't cause any issues down the road when I want to apply back for the CSR or CSP bonus.

If they didn't let you choose a classic freedom either, the other option might have been the no-annual-fee sapphire, though you'd have to make a further change later if you wanted the CSP/CSR since iirc it counts as part of the family.

I'd fold the credit line into one of the other accounts and close it out instead of having two FUs, personally.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

astral posted:

If they didn't let you choose a classic freedom either, the other option might have been the no-annual-fee sapphire, though you'd have to make a further change later if you wanted the CSP/CSR since iirc it counts as part of the family.

I'd fold the credit line into one of the other accounts and close it out instead of having two FUs, personally.

I thought about it on the phone but I'm going through some preapprovals for mortgages right now and didn't want to jiggle my credit score if possible. If they'd let me keep the full credit amount from both cards I would be onboard though.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The last free item bank offer I tried the only thing I got was a 1099 for the value of the item that they never sent me.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Not sure if there's a better thread for this but if you got TSA Pre from a credit card reimbursement, if you apply for Global Entry, will you get refreshed TSA Pre as well if you already have it from something else or is it just a waste? My TSA Pre is about to expire and instead of renewing, I'm thinking of getting Global Entry through a different credit card.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
My Amex Plat is up for its first renewal in April, and I was hoping someone could talk me through what the process for getting a retention offer is like and what I should expect?

Do I just open up chat, tell them I want to downgrade and then they'll offer something just as a matter of course? Or do they tell you oh that's too bad and then contact you in a few days?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Not sure if there's a better thread for this but if you got TSA Pre from a credit card reimbursement, if you apply for Global Entry, will you get refreshed TSA Pre as well if you already have it from something else or is it just a waste? My TSA Pre is about to expire and instead of renewing, I'm thinking of getting Global Entry through a different credit card.

I'm also curious because I got my TSA Pre and then also got Global Entry later. I've been getting notices that my TSA Pre is expiring, but shouldn't it be extended to the Global Entry expiry date?

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

dpkg chopra posted:

My Amex Plat is up for its first renewal in April, and I was hoping someone could talk me through what the process for getting a retention offer is like and what I should expect?

Do I just open up chat, tell them I want to downgrade and then they'll offer something just as a matter of course? Or do they tell you oh that's too bad and then contact you in a few days?

From what I've seen they offer it right in the chat or, less commonly, give you a phone number to call to talk about it.

Though you may want to start off saying you're looking to cancel, not downgrade.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.

dpkg chopra posted:

I just got an offer for 40k MR points for a 3k spend in 3 months just by trying to cancel. I ended up cancelling anyway because I do not think I am going to travel enough to make the newly $700 card worth it. I'm just sticking with Gold for now which makes much more sense for me. I got 200k MR points right now and I have no idea what to do with them.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Thanks!

Yeah, I've enjoyed the plat's benefits, but it's not worth $700 (although in theory if you signed up before they announced the price hike they'll honor that price for the first renewal? Some random website mentioned it).

I do have a big trip coming up so it might end up being worth it just this one year.

I'll chat them up and see what's up.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

USAA is converting their Limitless Cards to Preferred. RIP 2.5% cash back.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Unsinkabear posted:

I'm also curious because I got my TSA Pre and then also got Global Entry later. I've been getting notices that my TSA Pre is expiring, but shouldn't it be extended to the Global Entry expiry date?

Maybe I am wrong here, but I was always under the assumption that they are separate things but global entry just gives you the additional benefits of TSA pre. (They also have different numbers, or at least mine did when I enrolled in GE)

Etuni
Jun 28, 2006

What it lacks in substance, it makes up for in pretty colors

Yeah, Global Entry gets you TSA Precheck along with it. Instead of a Known Traveler Number (KTN), you enter your PassID on the back of your GE card when taking domestic flights.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Got an offer for $550 for 4k/3 mo spend to keep the Plat, thank you very much

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
It's finally time for my Sapphire Reserve to renew, and I don't want to pay $550 for it, so my plan was to cancel and get the Preferred. But I guess the 100k signup bonus has been dead for a while, so now I'm not sure if it's still worth getting... :sigh:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

runawayturtles posted:

It's finally time for my Sapphire Reserve to renew, and I don't want to pay $550 for it, so my plan was to cancel and get the Preferred. But I guess the 100k signup bonus has been dead for a while, so now I'm not sure if it's still worth getting... :sigh:

DoC posted that there's a targeted in-branch Sapphire Preferred offer for for 80k points back on $4k spend with a waived annual fee, which is pretty close to that.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

astral posted:

DoC posted that there's a targeted in-branch Sapphire Preferred offer for for 80k points back on $4k spend with a waived annual fee, which is pretty close to that.

Oh nice, I would definitely take that. Not sure I should expect to get a targeted offer though... at least not for a while after cancelling the Reserve.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

runawayturtles posted:

Oh nice, I would definitely take that. Not sure I should expect to get a targeted offer though... at least not for a while after cancelling the Reserve.

Current (non-targeted) in-branch offer is apparently 60k+waived AF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Has anyone gotten Venture X? Thoughts? What kind of promotions are they running?