Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

I'll be damned, I didn't even know kirkland golf balls were a thing

E: hot drat a 3 piece urethane for $1/ball? yoooo

The three piece (their current offering) is rated pretty highly. Their 4 piece was fantastic, but also someone's rebranded ball, and the threat of patent litigation took them off the shelves.

Biggest problem? Facing Costco crowds to buy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Biggest problem? Facing Costco crowds to buy them.

This makes me take safer shots than any $20 ball would.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Loan Dusty Road posted:

This makes me take safer shots than any $20 ball would.

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-3-piece-urethane-cover-golf-ball%2c-2-dozen.product.100406428.html

$30/24 balls shipped still isn't terrible.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah that's a really solid price

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
They are pretty good, but I would warn anyone that they get damaged some what easily.

My swing is dog poo poo, but the end of a round they are usually a little torn up.

For my absolutely terrible inconsistency, Wilson duo soft is much straight, and easier to find in very florescent colors

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DJExile posted:

I'll be damned, I didn't even know kirkland golf balls were a thing

E: hot drat a 3 piece urethane for $1/ball? yoooo

How did you not know this? They set GolfWRX on fire a couple years ago

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

missed me somehow :shrug:

also I don't go on golfwrx

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

I'm pretty sure those were the old 4 piece ball, that they got sued and had to stop making or something. The 3 piece aren't as nice, but still good for the price.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

xsf421 posted:

I'm pretty sure those were the old 4 piece ball, that they got sued and had to stop making or something. The 3 piece aren't as nice, but still good for the price.

I didn’t know about that to be fair, interesting

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

The 4 piece was basically assembled from extra components/materials from another premium ball, and Costco just rebranded the extra supply and sold them. As far as I know they simply ran out of material rather than getting sued over it considering that Costco has a lot of experience doing the same thing with other products and the Kirkland brand. The 3 piece ball is in continuous production but is really not quite as good as the 4 piece, at least IMO.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Do any of you use the Kirkland golf gloves? They are $20 for a 4 pack, but I don't have a costco within 2 hours of me to go out and buy some.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Brings up another point, not that I'm golfing anytime soon - can gloves "go bad" if they sit in a garage (Florida) for too long? My dad and I always used to stock up at season-end sales and I probably have half a dozen FootJoy gloves that have been sitting for several years.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

D34THROW posted:

Brings up another point, not that I'm golfing anytime soon - can gloves "go bad" if they sit in a garage (Florida) for too long? My dad and I always used to stock up at season-end sales and I probably have half a dozen FootJoy gloves that have been sitting for several years.

Depending on how dry your garage is, I could definitely see them breaking down a bit or even getting that mildewy/moldy smell.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

The 4 piece was basically assembled from extra components/materials from another premium ball, and Costco just rebranded the extra supply and sold them. As far as I know they simply ran out of material rather than getting sued over it considering that Costco has a lot of experience doing the same thing with other products and the Kirkland brand. The 3 piece ball is in continuous production but is really not quite as good as the 4 piece, at least IMO.

Yes and no. The highest quality ball was their 4 piece introduced in 16. Acushnet sued, false advertising and patent violation. They settled, balls disappeared. In 19, new 4 piece, but the covers cut and shed really badly, so they stopped making and selling the 4 piece.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

torgeaux posted:

Yes and no. The highest quality ball was their 4 piece introduced in 16. Acushnet sued, false advertising and patent violation. They settled, balls disappeared. In 19, new 4 piece, but the covers cut and shed really badly, so they stopped making and selling the 4 piece.

Acushnet (Titleist) sued Costco over false advertising and patent infringement, and Costco counter-sued claiming that their advertising statements were factual and that they didn’t infringe on any of Acushnet’s patents. The original Kirkland 4 piece ball was a clone of the Nassau Quattro European market tour ball, not a ProV1. Costco sold all of the overrun supply and then moved on to a new factory and construction. Again, Costco has done this many many times in various markets without issue, they know what they are doing. We’re not talking about some random online-only startup that pays for a few runs of balls from the same factory pumping out Vice, OnCore, etc golf balls.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 19, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

Acushnet (Titleist) sued Costco over false advertising and patent infringement, and Costco counter-sued claiming that their advertising statements were factual and that they didn’t infringe on any of Acushnet’s patents. The original Kirkland 4 piece ball was a clone of the Nassau Quattro European market tour ball, not a ProV1. Costco sold all of the overrun supply and then moved on to a new factory and construction. Again, Costco has done this many many times in various markets without issue, they know what they are doing. We’re not talking about some random online-only startup that pays for a few runs of balls from the same factory pumping out Vice, OnCore, etc golf balls.

It's impossible to be sure what happened (haven't seen any public docs about the terms of the setlelment), but they settled the lawsuit and stopped manufacturing the ball that was the source of the suit. Being a clone of some other ball doesn't preclude patent violations, and even a good corporate citizen like Costco does that from time to time.

Edit: The newer 4 piece that they stopped selling and refunded purchasers...I wonder if it was basically a Cut Blue. They are fantastic balls but for their amazing fragility, with a beautiful soft cover, great spin and distance, and the best feel off the putter I've ever had. But, and I'm still playing out the ones I have, I replaced one after the first hole last week. Tee shot, full 58 degree wedge and it had multiple shreds and that was a common result for me.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 19, 2020

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Have some Brooks driving left handed.

https://twitter.com/claudeharmonIII/status/1241033974920740864

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

This makes me irrationally angry at how loving brilliant the pros are as I chunk a 7 iron off the waterlogged ground at my local course.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

To Phil and Bubba: "I know something you don't know"....

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Two big changes yesterday — one, it was the first time I'd been golfing since my shoulder arthritis had been treated. I was diagnosed about two months ago with arthritis in both shoulders, and medication has really done the trick. I had a couple of short range sessions since then, but this was the first time I had actually played golf. Man, there was a world of difference. I've been suffering through constant shoulder pain and limited range of motion for two or three years, and there was no pain at all this weekend. I can really get a lot more rotation during the backswing, and it no longer hurts to cross my arms across my body, so I'm much less arm-y during my entire swing. Much more consistently straight ball flight.

And I played with Pro V1's for the first time. I've always played with some low-compression (slow swing speed) ball or whatever mid-tier ball I could find on sale. I have no idea why I've always been so cheap when it comes to balls. I spend a poo poo-ton on everything else.

I had extra distance, but my short irons & wedges all tended to go left. Was hard to tell if I was pulling or drawing, because the distances involved were so short. And it was super windy.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
23 dollars for a chipping new and some cheap indoor balls. It's nothing special but my short game needs work and Covid -19 sucks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QR1HL5D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

23 dollars for a chipping new and some cheap indoor balls. It's nothing special but my short game needs work and Covid -19 sucks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QR1HL5D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

a similar setup to this and a cheap rear end mat helped me both with cabin fever in the winter and did wonders for my chipping. Just be aware that even those light balls can still send knickknacks and vases toppling.

Not that i'd know.

:ninja:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 23, 2020

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I went golfing at 2:30 yesterday and the course was packed lol. I booked my time over the phone and used my push cart so I didn’t go into the clubhouse, not sure if they were letting people sit inside and drink but I’m betting they were. Saw some people sharing carts but other than that I’d say golf is a pretty good way to be outside and social while staying a safe distance from people.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Suprfli6 posted:

I went golfing at 2:30 yesterday and the course was packed lol. I booked my time over the phone and used my push cart so I didn’t go into the clubhouse, not sure if they were letting people sit inside and drink but I’m betting they were. Saw some people sharing carts but other than that I’d say golf is a pretty good way to be outside and social while staying a safe distance from people.

Please don't. All courses in the UK are shut for at least another fortnight and this is the best weather we've had so far this year. Glad I dropped cash on a new driver literally 3 days before the shutdown was announced too. :negative:

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Both my courses were jam-packed on Sunday. Perfect weather...first really good golf-weather weekend of the new year. The clubhouse was open and full afterwards, but I didn't stick around. The four of us were outdoors for four hours, at least several feet away from each other at all times, but that's how we usually golf, anyway. Staff was disinfecting the cart steering wheels and seats. None of us went into the clubhouse to have drinks with all the Typhoid Marys.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Florida courses have finally come to their senses and lowered their rates, so I got a tee time at Disney's Magnolia tomorrow for $45 when this time 3 weeks ago it was closer to $100.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I just don't trust my course enough that they are disinfecting the carts to go play. I live on the 15th Hole tee and saw a group of 8 people playing in the Tuesday night scramble and they were all standing next to each other on the tee box.

I may end up going out and walking holes 13, 14, 15, and 16 a few times just to get my fix in. Not going to putt out and have to touch the cup.

I pay a membership fee that lets me play all I want without green fees or cart fee, so they are not going to care if I do this, and from the 13th tee, I can see if anyone is on 11 and 12 that I would be in the way.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

mattfl posted:

Florida courses have finally come to their senses and lowered their rates, so I got a tee time at Disney's Magnolia tomorrow for $45 when this time 3 weeks ago it was closer to $100.

Tell that to more of the Space Coast courses, although I’m not opposed to heading in to Orlando.

I’ve only played Lake Buena Vista over there. I didn’t realize the courses were still open.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Cais posted:

Tell that to more of the Space Coast courses, although I’m not opposed to heading in to Orlando.

I’ve only played Lake Buena Vista over there. I didn’t realize the courses were still open.

Yup, all of them are. I got a 9:05 tee time at Magnolia tomorrow. Also Mission Inn has significantly dropped their rates as well. El Campeon is only $55 right now, $105 a few weeks ago. Worth a trip there if you've never played.

Willzilla
Aug 16, 2006

Rawr
is there an SA recommended low-mid range launch monitor?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

What price range are you talking? Skytrak is a pretty reasonable price and I know it is accurate based on first hand experience. The only cheaper option I'd consider would be Flightscope Mevo but I haven't personally used it so I don't know how accurate it is without the stickers which seem to be a bit of an annoyance.

Willzilla
Aug 16, 2006

Rawr
$500 and under is where I was looking. This will be used for hitting into a net in my backyard just to get some feedback. The Mevo seemed best reviewed from what I’ve seen. Hoping for first hand input

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Willzilla posted:

$500 and under is where I was looking. This will be used for hitting into a net in my backyard just to get some feedback. The Mevo seemed best reviewed from what I’ve seen. Hoping for first hand input

I have a Mevo. It's incredibly accurate for any shot with a swing speed <100mph, so for me anything less than a 3W/Driver.

I can hit a shot with a wedge/iron and before the Mevo's distance reading comes up on my phone call what distance I think I hit and and half a second later the reading pops up and will be within a yard or two of what I called.

Once you get over 100mph swing speed, it tends to not show the swing speed readout at all and will tell you that your driver carry was 240 yards even though the ball I hit carried over the back fence of the range at 250y. This happens like 85% of the time. The other 15% it'll show 115mph SS and 285y carry like it's supposed to. The silver dot stickers don't make any difference either - all they do is give a slightly more accurate reading for spin rate.

It captures swing speed, carry distance, max height, launch angle, spin rate, smash factor and maybe something else I'm forgetting. It does not capture any club face/path data, so if you're hitting into a net you may not know that you hit a huge slice because the Mevo won't tell you.

It's tiny and super easy to set up/carry around to use during a practice session or just warming up before a round. Personally, I love it and found it well worth the $400 I bought it for last time FS was doing a $100 off special.

One caveat to all of this is that I've only ever used mine outdoors on an actual range and one of the common-ish criticisms I've seen on reviews is that it doesn't work great without >40y of ball flight to capture (i.e. into a net), so for your specific use case it might not be ideal. I can't confirm or deny any of those claims. It does have multiple settings for how much capture distance it has to work with, so who knows.

Edit: There appears to be a new Mevo+ product that's $2K up for pre-order on the Flightscope website now, so it looks like that version adds some additional capture functionality and simulated courses. Looks like that's a direct competitor to the SkyTrak.

BCRock fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 29, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Optishot golf in a box is what I'm looking at. Looked to be $800 for net, mat, sensor, software with 15 courses.

Looks less accurate because of the sensor type, but more complete for gaming at home for that price.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I've started to mentally prepare myself for my end of May Bandon Dunes trip to get coronavirus cancelled. :smith:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
26 of the 43 mouth-breathing morons in my golf league are playing a tournament this Saturday in the NorCal foothills (Auburn, CA) :ughh:

They will be sharing carts for sure as well.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Well, good news for you, you'll have less competition next year

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Keyser_Soze posted:

26 of the 43 mouth-breathing morons in my golf league are playing a tournament this Saturday in the NorCal foothills (Auburn, CA) :ughh:

Mini tours are still playing tournaments. 14 players DQ'ed in one for teeing off on wrong tee for a par 3 that was mismarked in the official scorecard.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

Boomers gonna boom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Shrapnig posted:

Boomers gonna boom.

Lol, I think only one guy's Dad is actually a "Boomer". The rest range from 27-55