Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

At least halflings' innate rMut serves a unique purpose now :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Hopefully the devs can get rid of all the silly mechanics like hunger and poison and ranged combat and potion iding so we can have room for more species like hoppy frogboys and woof woof dogdudes

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Nagas gain piety faster, but only really because more things are faster than them. They also have a lower speed at max piety so they do more damage with slouch.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I like the religious starts, and to me it would make sense to have ones for the gods with the more drastic effects

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

When did they completely remove potions of gain attribute from the game?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

neongrey posted:

In terms of background, I'm honestly not sure why there's all these separate elementalists as opposed to a single elementalist, and then you pick your book, the same way the weapon classes let you pick a weapon. There must be some sort of reason for it since it's been like this so long, but yeah.

the elemental books all play fairly differently so it doesn't seem right to merge the backgrounds, if anything it's Wz and/or Cj that should go away

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Wizards have the "jack of all trades" spellbook; it has a little bit of everything. Conjurers have the "focused on killing things magically at a distance" spellbook; no utility just tonnes of damage. You'd be hard pressed to merge them when they are doing very different things.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

When did they completely remove potions of gain attribute from the game?

I don't remember exactly when but it was replaced with !beneficial mutation

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

someone awful. posted:

I don't remember exactly when but it was replaced with !beneficial mutation

And now those have been removed and replaced with just potions of mutation

Lol

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sage Grimm posted:

Wizards have the "jack of all trades" spellbook; it has a little bit of everything. Conjurers have the "focused on killing things magically at a distance" spellbook; no utility just tonnes of damage. You'd be hard pressed to merge them when they are doing very different things.

i meant removing them, not merging them. I've always kind of disliked the existence of Conjurations as a school of magic in general though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tales of Woe posted:

the elemental books all play fairly differently so it doesn't seem right to merge the backgrounds, if anything it's Wz and/or Cj that should go away

Conjurer might as well not exist without battlesphere tbh

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I like the religious starts, and to me it would make sense to have ones for the gods with the more drastic effects

Merchant start: Begin by worshiping Gozag with 800 gold, a robe, a loaf of bread, and no skills.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Missed opportunity for the loaf of bread to be a ham haunch.

(Because HAM would wield it and swing to optimize HP regen against turn count)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

jon joe posted:

Merchant start: Begin by worshiping Gozag with 800 gold, a robe, a loaf of bread, and no skills.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
I got my One Win for the tournament with, unusually, a VsGl of Gozag. Surprisingly unlucky with gear--no rElec items all game, took forever to get a brand scroll, etc.

I almost died in a weird-rear end Zot vault where draconians forcibly blinked me into an obelisk tornado thing I didn't really have a good way to get out of. Fortunately it didn't do a lot of damage through my AC, so Potion Petitions kept me alive until I could teleport out. Speaking of which, is Potion Petition always 400 gold now?! That's pretty great! That makes Gozag much better than he was.

Having now gone through Zot as a melee dude, I can say definitely that the removal of rMut really sucks. OoFs would come into sight and mutate me and there wasn't poo poo I could do about it. It's frustrating and really doesn't add anything to the game.

Bribe Branch is pretty loving great, it made Vaults 5 a cakewalk.

cheetah7071 posted:

Conjurer might as well not exist without battlesphere tbh

Right? That change single-handedly ruined conjurer. The spells you get just aren't good enough to keep up with the dungeon, as a blasty guy. And Cj was my favorite start.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I think you won too late for it to count, fam. :(

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

jon joe posted:

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

someone awful. posted:

I think you won too late for it to count, fam. :(

Aww, man, I didn't see that it ended a couple of days ago. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wonder how long my BaAM highscore will last until some speedrunner smashes it.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

I wonder how long my BaAM highscore will last until some speedrunner smashes it.

It's a good score, but I'm sure someone will kick it up a notch.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

SKULL.GIF posted:

One of my favorite things about double and triple swords is that they show up in Blizzard games:

Compare:

There's a couple other Blizzard references to Crawl but they're pretty old at this point.

When I first heard the term "double-bladed axe" that's the type of weird poo poo I thought of when I was little. Even having seen a legit one the connection just wasn't there in my retard brain.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
Feature request: give fire orbs torment

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Samog posted:

Feature request: give fire orbs torment

also this torment should halve MP as well as HP so spellcasters and hybrids don't get yet another unfair advantage

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

jon joe posted:

Would play!

I'd also like to see a starting artifact class like a Baker that gets a knife, robe, a <player name>'s cookbook that has flame tongue in it and a fixedart chef's hat with +stat and rF or something similar. Bonus: it could also have a chance to show up on the Spriggan Baker.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

have a great character going

good loot, early pot of exp

vastly OOD spawn

"i can take this"

rip

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Indecisive posted:

have a great character going

good loot, early pot of exp

vastly OOD spawn

"i can take this"

rip

ime any time you find yourself saying "eh, I can take it" you need to get the gently caress off the floor

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

At least that's a learning experience.

The worst deaths are always the completely unexpected ones. I had a character on D9 take on a troll and gargoyle at the same time and kill them with no damage taken (because lol casters). Then I took a single step forward and revealed Psyche who got a double action and quadzapped me with a lightning wand.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
Racked up a post-tourney win. Never won with Xom before so I gave it a try.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/kickascii/morgue-kickascii-20170615-040237.txt

quote:

2666460 kickascii the Slayer (level 27, 192/192 HPs)
Began as a Gargoyle Chaos Knight on June 13, 2017.

Escaped with the Orb
... and 4 runes on June 15, 2017!

The game lasted 04:05:39 (55660 turns).

kickascii the Slayer (Gargoyle Chaos Knight) Turns: 55660, Time: 04:05:40

Health: 192/192 AC: 59 Str: 28 XL: 27
Magic: 36/36 EV: 13 Int: 18 God: Xom [..*...]
Gold: 3274 SH: 23 Dex: 9 Spells: 26/26 levels left

rFire + + . SeeInvis . N - +9 demon whip (vamp)
rCold + . . Gourm . E - +0 large shield "Dowesoro" {rElec Regen+}
rNeg + . . Faith . t - +5 gold dragon scales
rPois ∞ Spirit + (helmet restricted)
rElec + Reflect . U - +2 cloak
rCorr . Harm . K - +0 pair of gloves
MR ++... Rnd*Tele + G - +2 pair of boots of Card Tricks {rElec rF+}
Stlth .......... H - amulet of guardian spirit
HPRegen 0.82/turn s - +3 ring of evasion
MPRegen 0.25/turn L - +3 ring of slaying

@: flying
A: antennae 1, big wings, beak, talons 1, thin metallic scales 1, clever 1, high
mp 2, negative energy resistance 1, electricity resistance, strong 1,
teleportitis 1, unbreathing, petrification resistance, rot immunity, AC +20

AC59 :D I chose Garg because I didn't want a hassle while I got my Xom win, and the Garg did not disappoint.

Goofed around in early vault with a shield of the gong and had to burn around 5 teleport scrolls and generally had an awful time before I smartened up and used a normal shield.

Xom had two pretty close murder attempts on me. The first I was stair dancing into depths1 and he teleported me and when I made it back to the only stairs up on the level, he kept moving them on me with a bunch of mobs around. Think I chugged most my heal wounds here.

The second time was in zot5. He very quickly teleported me near the orb chamber so I just drank all my potions, grabbed the orb and started casting teleports. Around the 4rth or 5th teleport I made a break for the stairs. Fully buffed, swinging a +9 vampiric whip and Xom giving me Cleave allowed me to fully heal back up once on a bunch of orb guardians, which helped a lot.

The run back up was a little more obnoxious than usual. I had to stand and fight 2 pan lords, and a lich abyssed me around D10. Xom hosed with me with a bunch of starcursed masses on the screen and I got paralyzed and got pretty low. While around 20% HP I stumbled upon the orb vault and it was this ez peazy one with basilisks and the beast that breathes stone dust. I was able to tab my health back up on those lair rejects, grab the 4rth rune, and get back out right away.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Finally got two runes with my formid, and the promptly got pounded into the pavement on vault 5.

What is a good strategy for ants on vault 5? I managed to stair dance up and down several times and felt like I was doing alright but then the vault guardian locked the stairs. With no Tele I just had to stand there and get crushed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Trunko posted:

Finally got two runes with my formid, and the promptly got pounded into the pavement on vault 5.

What is a good strategy for ants on vault 5? I managed to stair dance up and down several times and felt like I was doing alright but then the vault guardian locked the stairs. With no Tele I just had to stand there and get crushed.
There's a few options. Usually, I just go with "find a different third rune".

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

What happens if you shaft yourself on V:4? You won't be able to teleport if you wind up in a lovely spot, but odds are it'll be better than the ambush zone.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Assuming you're playing a formicid, you'll have absolutely 0 retreat options so you'd better be sure you can survive fighting an entire quarter before you can rest up.

With anyone else its probably a good idea since you can avoid waking up the ambush and hopefully dismantle its peicemeal after you've cleared the surrounding area.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Use TSO and go Crypt, maybe?

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Trunko posted:

Corrupt the stair area then Bend Space to blink away.

Abyssal ants are the best ants.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Use TSO and go Crypt, maybe?

Crypt doesn't have a rune, only Tomb does.

It's probably me being overly cautious, but Tomb is always the last rune I go for on any character. I'd rather clear Hell and Pandemonium than deal with that.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Trunko posted:

For most characters, I like reading a scroll of fear and then walking to a better spot (mapping can reveal if there's good terrain in the quadrants, otherwise just go to the edge).

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Trunko posted:

I've had good luck using abyss as a 3rd rune for ants. Still a little dicey without escape options, but the tunneling makes it easier to find places to get out of sight of the worst threats (wretched stars and the like).

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
For ants get a good crossbow (triple, preferably.), evocables, lightning/smite targeted wands and kill the wardens without leaving the stairs.

You're not locked in there with them, they're locked in there with you.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

redneck nazgul posted:

Crypt doesn't have a rune, only Tomb does.

It's probably me being overly cautious, but Tomb is always the last rune I go for on any character. I'd rather clear Hell and Pandemonium than deal with that.

I typically clear Tomb as soon as I have max piety with TSO on my melee characters; it's typically easier than Hell or Pan in that event, I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Can you switch from Uskuya to TSO with no punishment?

• Locked thread