Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

fruit on the bottom posted:

How was it marketed and promoted?

How it was promoted doesn't say much about the quality of a book though. A book promotion is basically either "here's a book by an author and / or about a topic you're already interested in" or it gives some hook to draw you into the story.
Most of my favorite novels are stories where you can't really come up with a hook at all. Conversely most train station fiction could be pretty compelling as an elevator pitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bamabalacha posted:

I have an English degree and professional writer parents and this is still one of the douchiest sentences I have ever seen.

Also incredibly wrong, it has interesting world building and language work, saddled under a slog worse than Dickens. And that motherfucker got paid by the word.

I have an English degree and I'm your father and Tolkien isn't a slog at all. Some of his prose is sublime.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Tolkien rules and if you don't like his work it's because you don't "get" it. Reading LotR is like reading a medieval chanson de geste more than it is like reading a novel.

lol, yeah, the fact that it is a subpar imitation of authentic archaic literary forms makes it BETTER, and definitely not a waste of time that could be better spent familiarizing yourself with the works Tolkien was copying

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sassassin posted:

I have an English degree and I'm your father and Tolkien isn't a slog at all. Some of his prose is sublime.

"You are a wizard, Frodo"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

"You are a wizard, Frodo"

haha I love memes.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

steinrokkan posted:

lol, yeah, the fact that it is a subpar imitation of authentic archaic literary forms makes it BETTER, and definitely not a waste of time that could be better spent familiarizing yourself with the works Tolkien was copying

The point of fantasy fiction is enjoyment, not enlightenment, and Tolkien was way better at that than his antecedents.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Mu Zeta posted:

Chris Nolan needs to dump Hans Zimmer. Interstellar, Dunkirk, and Inception have obnoxiously loud music blaring all the loving time telling you how you're supposed to feel just in case you're too dumb to understand what's happening on the screen. Just shut the gently caress up or quiet down the music for a bit and let me listen to the sound of boats exploding in peace.

Nolan is just kind of a hack in general, and yeah Zimmer is the most over rated composer working right now.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

The_Rob posted:

Nolan is just kind of a hack in general, and yeah Zimmer is the most over rated composer working right now.

Has there ever been a wildly successful director/producer that hasn't been called a hack by the internet? "I don't like them" doesn't make them a hack.

It's the same thing with "overrated". You can just say you don't like them, you don't have to say everyone who likes them is wrong at the same time.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Has there ever been a wildly successful director/producer that hasn't been called a hack by the internet? "I don't like them" doesn't make them a hack.

It's the same thing with "overrated". You can just say you don't like them, you don't have to say everyone who likes them is wrong at the same time.

Nolan is a hack who can't make a good third act to save his life. The quote I've heard about Nolan that I like the most is that he is Micheal Bay for people who have read one book in their life.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The_Rob posted:

Nolan is a hack who can't make a good third act to save his life. The quote I've heard about Nolan that I like the most is that he is Micheal Bay for people who have read one book in their life.

Yes, The Prestige and Transformers, two easily comparable works.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I think even people who don't like Tarantino will admit that he's good at making movies

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think even people who don't like Tarantino will admit that he's good at making movies

Yeah, like I really don't like "Tarantino dialog" for the most part but he does what he does well, he's skilled and good at what he sets out to do. Other people create movies that I don't personally enjoy, plus they are bad at making movies, hacks.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

WampaLord posted:

Yes, The Prestige and Transformers, two easily comparable works.

The illusionist was the superior magician movie of 2006.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The_Rob posted:

I don't really have an opinion on Nolan but I always hear the "he's a hack" thing about Ridley Scott and I just can't see how you can think that if you look at things objectively.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

I don't really have an opinion on Nolan but I always hear the "he's a hack" thing about Ridley Scott and I just can't see how you can think that if you look at things objectively.

I used to subscribe to Ridley being a hack but I've gone back through his filmography and realized that he is a very ambitious filmmaker even if not everything he makes clicks. He's always willing to try something interesting without making it into a gimmick, and as far as I am concerned he can coast off of the Duelists, Blade Runner, and Alien for the rest of time.

I'm also one of the few people who loved the counselor for it being one of the most nihilistic anti capitalist films in a long time.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The_Rob posted:

The illusionist was the superior magician movie of 2006.

Well, you're definitely in the right thread for that opinion! :v:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
James Cameron is truly a hack too.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

pidan posted:

How it was promoted doesn't say much about the quality of a book though. A book promotion is basically either "here's a book by an author and / or about a topic you're already interested in" or it gives some hook to draw you into the story.
Most of my favorite novels are stories where you can't really come up with a hook at all. Conversely most train station fiction could be pretty compelling as an elevator pitch.

Right, but I think it impacts how we should look at those sales figures. They were decent for a first time nobody without a huge marketing push, and abysmal for a JK Rowling with full fanfare.

We know the book was made under a pseudonym, but if it wasn't really marketed strongly then the sales figures aren't really that bad.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Right, but I think it impacts how we should look at those sales figures. They were decent for a first time nobody without a huge marketing push, and abysmal for a JK Rowling with full fanfare.

We know the book was made under a pseudonym, but if it wasn't really marketed strongly then the sales figures aren't really that bad.

This entire conversation is because of Tiggum's lack of understanding that "didn't sell at all" was a bit of hyperbole to mean "Didn't sell as well as a book written by J.K. Rowling should sell."

Then Tiggum posts that the book sold 8,500 copies to be all :smug: "Looks like it sold fine!" missing the point entirely.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Tiggum's lack of understanding

This is pretty much the main driver of this thread. When there's a lull tiggum will bust in and express bewilderment at some basic human concept or fail to understand that things work different in the rest of the world than they do in australia and people will try and find out whether he's just trolling or if he's being genuine.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

WampaLord posted:

This entire conversation is because of Tiggum's lack of understanding that "didn't sell at all" was a bit of hyperbole to mean "Didn't sell as well as a book written by J.K. Rowling should sell."

Then Tiggum posts that the book sold 8,500 copies to be all :smug: "Looks like it sold fine!" missing the point entirely.

I'm all for dunking on Tiggum, but it's also pretty dumb to compare sales figures other books by JK Rowling when the major difference is that it didn't actually have her name on it.

Maybe we should talk about something else,'like eugenics or something.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Tiggum is basically an Australian Forrest Gump without the heroism and who should have the mental capacity to know better

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Come on, summoning jastiger into a thread is just cruel.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
James Cameron is like the only guy in Hollywood who could theoretically singlehandedly make a movie from screenplay to post-production.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I'll always respect james cameron because I have watched Titanic at least 30 times and will never get tired of watching it again and again.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I'm all for dunking on Tiggum, but it's also pretty dumb to compare sales figures other books by JK Rowling when the major difference is that it didn't actually have her name on it.

The book barely got into Top 500, and it's not like the publishers didn't know whose product were selling and didn't give it enough of a chance. it was a commercial failure until she went into the pls buy my book mode.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Well I guess that's true. The publishers probably would have been pushing it harder than they would a true unknown.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

steinrokkan posted:

James Cameron is like the only guy in Hollywood who could theoretically singlehandedly make a movie from screenplay to post-production.

That to me is what makes him a total hack.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

George Lucas did this too, with Red Tails.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

WampaLord posted:

You just loving keep hitting it out of the park Lucas!!!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

WampaLord posted:

Same but Tommy Wisaeu's The Room

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

re: jk rowling you can be good independent of other factors, at least in so far as you can claim anything is good so long as it's along the lines of some merit, but simply being popular requires some kind of perfect storm of outside events that might not even include the sheer quality of the work so i personally think it's pointless to try and gauge a work's quality by squinting at its overall popularity, like i think we can agree that there's a major disparity in the considerable popularity of Bay's films versus their overall quality; in a related vein stephen king once released some books under the name richard bachman partly as a way of splitting his brand, and partly to settle the question of talent vs perfect storm/luck in the world of writing and he never felt like found an answer to the question since he also saw the bachman books do reasonably well with as little marketing as possible but they didn't really take off until his pseudonym was discovered rather early into their publication history

personally of the HP books, i've only read 2 of them before i realized that i (unpopularly) didn't like them and then dropped the series, i had no problem with rowling's writing - imho she definitely seems competent at her craft - or her plot structure or anything like that, i just didn't care for the actual content, i can at least say that they aren't an appropriate thing for a grown-rear end man to read so i think i might've missed the window in my life where i might've enjoyed them

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Come on, summoning jastiger into a thread is just cruel.

Jastiger is always here, ensuring that the opinions itt are within a certain margin of error. You're good...for now....

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

steinrokkan posted:

Doesn't mean they are good movies.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
In fact if everyone is agreeing to give you money with no pushback you're probably making something mediocre.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I feel uncomfrotable calling them HACKS, like..they have no idea what they are doing or something. Everyone mentioned up there has had movies I've enjoyed and some I didn't.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I read a funny article talking about why the hell Disney spent half a billion dollars making an Avatar themed park at Disneyland when the films have almost zero cultural cachet. But of course the attendance has been absolutely packed and the Avatar toys that cost like $100 to buy there are always sold out. There will be future generations talking about how Avatar changed their life.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jastiger posted:

I feel uncomfrotable calling them HACKS, like..they have no idea what they are doing or something. Everyone mentioned up there has had movies I've enjoyed and some I didn't.

To me, a hack is someone who can't do more than one kind of thing.

Like, District 9 is a great movie, but the director is a hack because he made 2 other movies that are basically the exact same movie. Michael Bay is a hack for similar reasons.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

We Know Catheters posted:

Doesn't mean they are good movies.

lol

sure

aliens
terminator
terminator 2
titanic

TOTAL JUNK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You know this guy who literally designed his own cameras and mechanical set pieces to achieve very specific previously impossible effects? A hack!