Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I've never heard that either to my knowledge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
OCs use it a lot like "here's some free chicken for you, there won't be any OPFOR in your AO until 2300 tonight"

edit: but I've also heard instructors use it when there's some kind of evaluation coming up

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mustang posted:

whats for breakfast and dinner?

They usually don't provide it at drills unless you're in the field.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It depends on how many UTAs it is and where you are. Take your standard 3 day MUTA 6. If it's at home station (the armory) they're only required to feed you one meal per two UTAs- one meal per day. However if you're in the field or away from home station (like visiting a post for drill) they have to feed you three meals since you can't feed yourself otherwise.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I know a British dude that flies back to the UK for medical poo poo because it's more economical and that's just incredible to me anyhow

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

This drill kinda blows but getting to take a break during range qual to watch some A10s BRRRRRRRRRP is p cool

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

mods change my name posted:

I know a British dude that flies back to the UK for medical poo poo because it's more economical and that's just incredible to me anyhow

Sorry gotta fly to England and get a flu shot

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The joke is that we conducted an AAR and an improve we’ve had for months is to have hot food for lunch over MREs...so they ‘included’ heaters in the MREs to address hot meal concerns.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Warrior Companion

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

its curtains for Kevin posted:

The joke is that we conducted an AAR and an improve we’ve had for months is to have hot food for lunch over MREs...so they ‘included’ heaters in the MREs to address hot meal concerns.

Now just find a rock or something and you’re set, high speed

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
A warmed up package does not a hot meal make.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The joke is that tray rats are cheaper than MREs but your NCOs are too lazy or incompetent to plan for them and pick them up.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

That’s a whole bunch of lazyness, from PSGs/1SGs and XOs to the S4

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

but seriously your leadership loving sucks if they can't get you tray rats

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

but seriously your leadership loving sucks if they can't get you tray rats

But usually to get tray rats you have to make a phone call and sign one or two pieces of paper, and that is very hard.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
This is one of those times where it really hits me that I'm so glad I'm out. Reading over that screencap gave me the heebie-jeebies.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Aranan posted:

This is one of those times where it really hits me that I'm so glad I'm out. Reading over that screencap gave me the heebie-jeebies.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

like i'm actually angry at how much his leadership sucks

you have guys like me who drove hours to get to drill and would be done a huge disservice with no hot meal

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
When I was in the TX guard they took us to Furrs Cafeteria or whatever in Austin and tbh it was probably worse than MREs and I'd have rather skipped lunch and left early with the 2 hours or so wasted

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I did my CEI and spent the rest of my day playing Nintendo. We didn’t have poo poo to do but catch up on paperwork. Not gonna stop formation from being at 430 tomorrow so we can be ready by 800 for jr ncodp followed by the whole unit idling while we wait for admin to finish doing paperwork because nobody left behind hooah

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Not going to lie I busted out laughing when I read about the heaters. That poo poo is the most Army thing I’ve ever seen. It follows protocol and checks boxes to the letter and yet is completely devoid of any self awareness and generates a positive response out of doing Literally Nothing.

I’m a very green 5 type so it bothers me a lot that this sort of blasé, tone deaf admin response is coming from the full timers who have total control over the welfare and supervision of a lot of folks who hate the Army but take pride in their actual job and value their relationships with their coworkers.

I’m sure the climate surveys will have senior leaders aghast when they try to figure out why people don’t want to do AARs or feel like they’re listened to or taken care of.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 3, 2018

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I’m smoking weed and surfing this weekend smdftb

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Same but I'm surfing the information super highway

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

How the gently caress are you on ratpacks in base

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Please don't post my drill letter OPSEC hwuh? tya

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I’m a very green 5 type so it bothers me a lot that this sort of blasé, tone deaf admin response is coming from the full timers who have total control over the welfare and supervision of a lot of folks who hate the Army but take pride in their actual job and value their relationships with their coworkers.

I’m sure the climate surveys will have senior leaders aghast when they try to figure out why people don’t want to do AARs or feel like they’re listened to or taken care of.

Yo real talk it won't change but just start bitching out loud and do it the better way, like have someone's spouse sneak y'all in some takeout.

You're still gonna get bitched at but your team will be happier, and you had a not MRE.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

When I'm in the field, I prefer the MREs because I loving hate LOGPAC. A lot of my guys do too but I think it says more about the quality of the food than anything. There's an Army policy that says if you are eating hot food, then at least one meal has to be one of those god awful heater meals until you've been out for 14 days which is when you can have As twice a day. At NTC we just had one heater meal that no one ate.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Mind, most people go and buy lunch themselves. I just find this particular idea of the heaters to be a luxury addition in response to soldier feedback to be amusing in the extreme.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

As a scout platoon at NTC or our BDE force on force at YTC we always ate MREs every meal because we were too far forward to reliably get hot chow from the CTCP.

But during standard YTC rotations we pretty much always got hot breakfast and dinner, which was actually pretty good most of the time. Hot chow from the DFAC at JBLM is somehow almost always horrible for some reason. One night we were looking forward to hot dinner because it had been raining on us all day and when we started serving the food they pretty much just gave us chicken broth with a couple chunks of veggies or mystery meat tossed in. Our 1SG went full on nuclear and started calling and bitching up a storm to anyone he had a number for.

but for whatever reason at YTC our hot chow was on point like 85% of the time

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah you have to be careful with sensing sessions and the like. In my unit in Korea a bunch of people were bitching that they didn't have enough time to eat between PT and 0900. It was like typical Army 0630-0730 PT so I didn't really understand it, but as a response to that the unit just moved PT up to 0530.

lol

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Jaguars! posted:

wait are you serious

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Not sure which I like better; those drill notes reminding you that hair/shaving and the patrol cap are part of the uniform or that you can't just show up in PTs for your APFT.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Jaguars! posted:

Pog spotted

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

If we drill at homestation lunch is a catered meal from sone restaurant in town. If we're doing drill a a base, it's usually hot meals for breakfast and supper and mre for lunch (I let my guys go out and eat lunch in town if at all possible in those instances). Unfortunately the dfac is so terrible I sometimes prefer the mre.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Aranan posted:

At least they remembered to order MREs. My only rotation in NTC had me on one MRE a day for about a week. For reasons stated earlier. Also forgotten, portashitters.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

loving triggered jfc spoiler that poo poo

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Haha man I really don't miss PT tests. Like obviously the APFT wasn't completing a triathlon or anything, but god drat they attached so much importance to the thing and made life so miserable for anyone that failed (even if they were sick) that it was just so unnecessarily stressful even if you knew you were going to do fine.

Like, leave it to the Army to make a few minutes of running, sit-ups, and push-ups more anxiety-producing than actual field training.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
If you can't score a, ehhh, 290 on your apft at literally any moment in your life, why are you even here??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

hey mustang if you want that o3 pay why not put in for an ROTC instructor slot