Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

the mean lunch lady posted:

How do you listen to anything but music while working out? I've tried podcasts, but it's really distracting.

The gym is a holistic experience. #strongbodystrongmind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Leperflesh posted:

How do you ironically ride one

I think going to a group ride or a critical mass with one would be ironic, in that everyone would hate you and you're detached from it

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
If you've never gotten an erection while performing a deadlift I don't know what to tell you brother

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

FizFashizzle posted:

When I was in Austin I had really good BBQ at a gas station. It was like a whole restaurant though.

That would be Rudy's. It's perfectly acceptable, average BBQ.

BrownThunder posted:

Do what kayakyakr said but also check out The Domain area up north. culinary dropout is really good eats and there's some good places to drink too.

Yeah, Domain Rock Rose is cool too. I just kinda assume when someone asks about Austin, they're going to be mostly in the downtown area.

Slab BBQ is about the only BBQ worth hitting up on the North side.

Chi'Lantro is a must-do as well. Kim Chi Fries, Beef. They're all over town.

Lebowski's Grill in Highland Lanes (bowling alley) is one of my favorite price::value burgers in town, plus you can go bowling.

Ramen Tatsuya is oft named among the best Ramen places in the states.

If you want to drop some cash, I can build up a list of finer dining spots. Or have more specific questions, PM me or re-summon in the NCAAF thread cause I'mma drop out of this thread now.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

BrownThunder posted:

Do what kayakyakr said but also check out The Domain area up north. culinary dropout is really good eats and there's some good places to drink too.

Yeah thanks for that post kayakyakr, I'm probably gonna print it out and put it in my luggage

also UGK is my favorite rap group ever

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Chilantro used to be in Houston, glad it's doing well in Auston

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
If you've ever questioned the pure musical genius and power of Outkast, find the original version of this song with Three 6 Mafia. It's fine but UGK/Outkast is a God tier level song.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

a neat cape posted:

I only eat once a day. I need my calories

You're not a snake my duder that ain't healthy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

you are good people

Arc Trainer supremacy

Precor AMT yo

Dubious posted:

everyone should Google Slan

:confused:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Spoeank posted:

The gym is a holistic experience. #strongbodystrongmind

Didn't you hurt your back how are you liftin g?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Yeah those first 2 verses are potentially my favorite in history. Pimp C is one of my favorite rappers ever, that beat drop is godly.

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a reeeed"

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
The best pimp c verse is on Diamonds & Wood

Actually that may be the best song ever

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
All you need for gym music is 90s DMX, 90s Mobb Deep, 90s UGK, and trap

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

No Irish Need Imply posted:

If you've ever questioned the pure musical genius and power of Outkast, find the original version of this song with Three 6 Mafia. It's fine but UGK/Outkast is a God tier level song.

The UGK version of Player's Anthem is a top 5 all-time rap song for me, d-link. It's not quite Jay-Z's Lucifer, but it's one of my very favorites

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Riding Dirty is my favorite album of all time 👍

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

let me tell you about grime

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Controversial Outkast opinion

Speakerboxxx is better than the Love Below

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Nah, that's just common sense.

Also, re: Austin food, unsure of your budget, but there is really good fine dining in town. Barley Swine is my favorite restaurant in town and always makes amazing plates.

There's a Gus's Friend Chicken by the convention center and it is amazing fried chicken. Go check out Easy Tiger at the end of east 6th before 35 - It's a bar/bakery with a killer biergarten, bar and in house cured meats.

I love the lunch at Annie's on Congress -- it's nothing specific to Austin, but has a good burger/sandwich/food selection. You can grab a decent, quick bite from any of the Royal Blue's around downtown. Athenian on 6th is decent Greek.

The 4 seasons bar is a nice retreat sometimes. 2nd bar and kitchen patio is also a nice meal spot on a spring day.

Surf and Turf po-boys are p tasty, but a bit pricy.

Edit: forgot to add Ramen Tatsuya, which has North and South locations. Their dipping noodles are amazing.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 27, 2017

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I still get in arguments over this. Hey Ya is a classic banger but the rest of the album...

Bowtie alone is better than most of The Love Below.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

I still get in arguments over this. Hey Ya is a classic banger but the rest of the album...

I'm a The Rooster man myself

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Well duh The Rooster owns and so does Church and Ghettomusick and Tomb of the Boom and well looks like I know what I'm working out to today.

While on hip-hop, I agree with Chuck D's opinion that LL Cool J should have made it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame before 2pac.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

SHOAH NUFF posted:

The best pimp c verse is on Diamonds & Wood

Actually that may be the best song ever

One of the two greatest posse cuts of all time.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Well duh The Rooster owns and so does Church and Ghettomusick and Tomb of the Boom and well looks like I know what I'm working out to today.

You're welcome. I might end up doing stankonia tomorrow. Gasoline dreams mother fucker.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Yeah, the whole album is solid. Bamboo's interlude makes me chuckle every time, "uh uh, you ain't singing no Michael Jackson on my record."

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

Food in the United States is basically free on a caloric level and we could feed the nation twice over with just what we throw away. However, SNAP is administered by the state, so its vulnerable to all the cruel, pointless shittery that republicans are notorious for. Stuff like not being able to buy hot food with them, or counting child support as income and therefore disqualifying people.

SNAP is an insanely effective program, and it just needs to be fully federalized. The USDA releases guidelines, but of course the states can gently caress with them. Basically food stamps should work like this.

1. No one starves in the United State. Period, end of story.

2. Every child eats until they're eighteen. This is basically a two pronged attack.

a. First of all you increase the SNAP subsidies. Right now the monthly subsidy for a family of four is 648 dollars a month. So at 130% of the poverty level, you're going to need to feed your family on 21 dollars a day. That cruelty, and this is a subsidy. No father or mother is going to be able to go to school to learn a trade or whatever if they can't quit their wal mart job because at the end of the day your primary concern is going to be literally putting food into your child's mouth.

b. Every kid eats at school. I don't care what it costs. In 2012 it costs like 12 billion dollars. You just paint it as a national security issue. The original food program came about because the Army didn't have enough people that could survive basic. Even in the SEC, coaches recruit kids not knowing how big they'll get when they get actual honest to god nutrition. You can't learn if you're hungry, and no kid is going to admit to it.

Pretend I posted a big list of papers that back up that kids that don't get proper nutrition turn into hosed adults, but I'm getting ready for work right now.

Now my republican opponent A Neat Cape over here will tell you that if we feed their children, then parents will have no incentive to get that better job. They'll just be mooches on the system until the end of time. But I ask you, Ross, do you think people are proud of that? Do you think people want this situation? Or do you think they feel trapped.

Tell you what Ross, how about you come down to wal mart in Kennesaw, Ga. Leave your palatial estate in Southern California. We're gonna show up there at 11:50 on a Saturday night, because EBT benefits kick in at midnight. And you can see all the people that are just so alright with getting government assistance. We can watch them laugh all the way to the bank as they take all their kids to wal mart because they can't afford a babysitter. Or entire families that show up to do their weekly shopping because they only have one car, and they won't be able to go shopping again this week.

You watch that ross and you tell me these people are happy to be where they are.

Getting back to this as I just got in, what happens if they spend uncle Sam's dollars on Pop tarts?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
The only good rap is Nas's post 2010 work

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Do not take rap opinions from someone who has graduated high school within the last decade.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

TeeMerk posted:

Getting back to this as I just got in, what happens if they spend uncle Sam's dollars on Pop tarts?

Raw, microwaved, or toasted?

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

Raw, microwaved, or toasted?

The unironic answer is why do I go to the gas station and the person in front of me is buying 40$ in junk food with food stamps while their shirtless snotty kids sit in the back of the 2001 corrola and how do you fix that abuse.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Felix is hurt kill me baseball why you gotta do this hello darkness my old friend

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Bad Moon posted:

Felix is hurt kill me baseball why you gotta do this hello darkness my old friend

He's only 31?! I feel like he should be at least 40 for some reason.

Hopefully he is back in weeks and not months :ohdear:

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Felix lost some mph on his fastball and has re learned how to pitch to extend his longevity which is cool and good, but you know the competitor in him reaches back and tries to sling it. As a Rangers fan I hope he gets better.....In 4-6 weeks.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Oh no... not Felix...

*nudges the guy beside him* psst. Who is felix?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TeeMerk posted:

The unironic answer is why do I go to the gas station and the person in front of me is buying 40$ in junk food with food stamps while their shirtless snotty kids sit in the back of the 2001 corrola and how do you fix that abuse.

The answer to this answer is it doesn't really matter.

We can't let people starve. It's not just morally wrong, it's also bad for the entire country. Starving people drive up crime rates, spread disease, lower the effectiveness of public education, they create all kinds of follow-on effects that drag down everyone.

So you get everyone fed. If we're giving food stamps to ten families and three or four or even eight are cheating, well, it'd be good if we could stop the cheaters but it's absolutely paramount that we don't take food from the mouths of the ones that aren't cheating.

Reforms of government programs that stop cheaters without creating a burdens on the people genuinely in need can work. The kneejerk (Republican) response of just slashing government programs for the poor because of (wildly exaggerated but certainly actually happening on some level) cheating is ultimately counterproductive.

Or tl:dr; I'd rather give nine dollars to cheaters to make sure someone who really needs it gets a dollar, than keep my ten dollars.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh no... not Felix...

*nudges the guy beside him* psst. Who is felix?

A baseball player that Mike Trout hits dingers off of

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

The answer to this answer is it doesn't really matter.

We can't let people starve. It's not just morally wrong, it's also bad for the entire country. Starving people drive up crime rates, spread disease, lower the effectiveness of public education, they create all kinds of follow-on effects that drag down everyone.

So you get everyone fed. If we're giving food stamps to ten families and three or four or even eight are cheating, well, it'd be good if we could stop the cheaters but it's absolutely paramount that we don't take food from the mouths of the ones that aren't cheating.

Reforms of government programs that stop cheaters without creating a burdens on the people genuinely in need can work. The kneejerk (Republican) response of just slashing government programs for the poor because of (wildly exaggerated but certainly actually happening on some level) cheating is ultimately counterproductive.

Or tl:dr; I'd rather give nine dollars to cheaters to make sure someone who really needs it gets a dollar, than keep my ten dollars.

Or you could just use it for food purchases that are non taxable?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

TeeMerk posted:

Give them a stern lecture next time

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TeeMerk posted:

Or you could just use it for food purchases that are non taxable?

that varies a lot by state and the decisions about what is or isn't taxable are super weird and pretty stupid.

But yes actually there are restrictions on what food you can buy with SNAP benefits already. Most of the stories about people blowing their food stamps on booze and cigarettes and lottery tickets are total bullshit.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/eligible-food-items

quote:

Since the current definition of food is a specific part of the Act, any change to this definition would require action by a member of Congress. Several times in the history of SNAP, Congress had considered placing limits on the types of food that could be purchased with program benefits. However, they concluded that designating foods as luxury or non-nutritious would be administratively costly and burdensome. Further detailed information about the challenges of restricting the use of SNAP benefits can be found here:

Report -- Implications of Restricting the use of Food Stamp Benefits

So basically it makes no sense trying to police exactly what foods people are allowed to buy with SNAP benefits if doing so costs far more than whatever is "wasted" buying foods we don't approve of.

Not mentioned there but another factor is that most people getting SNAP benefits also have at least a little of their own money to spend on food. SNAP is supposed to be supplementary. If you have some of your own money and some SNAP money, then it's trivial to just buy the unapproved things with your own money and just buy the approved things with the SNAP money. So now you've created burdensome regulations that everyone involved hates (grocery stores, checkout clerks, SNAP beneficiaries, regulators) while not actually altering what people are buying and eating at all.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 27, 2017

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Bad Moon posted:

Didn't you hurt your back how are you liftin g?

It wasn't really hurt, more tweaked because I bent and lifted weirdly at work. If I had gymmed yesterday I would have collapsed in a heap. I'm good today though. Did stuff that didn't work the lower back to play it safe though.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah most of the anger comes from the overlap between people who are on assistance who are also smokers/dopers/boozers.

They fail to realise that they also like to breed and will gently caress up their children without assistance.

Also in terms of health education for children theres already starting to be a shift to positivity rather than criticism in the education i.e. dont tell the kid hes doing poo poo because he eats ice cream tell him hes doing well because he plays soccer and had a salad for lunch. Encourage healthy behaviour rather than the emphasis being on what not to do.

Gad saads book on the consuming instinct and jordan petersons essays on maps of meaning and belief systems changed the way i looked at a lot of this poo poo. I used to be all for cutting welfare.

Problems still abound with the food pyramid being taught etc. I still hear the myth about "eat small meals 5 times a day to keep your metabolism butning" parroted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
I will never understand how we can spend over a trillion dollars on an unwinnable perpetual war, but somehow it's bad and wrong to give single moms and and the innocent kids of addicts (if you can't somehow muster the empathy for addicts themselves) a couple hundred bucks per month for groceries.

• Locked thread