Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Neito posted:

the gently caress does "it doesn't need to be routed via ethernet" mean in this context.

packet radio or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

tin cans connected with twine

mewse
May 2, 2006

a succession of interns carrying paper notes, who commit ritual suicide after delivering their message

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
carrier pigeons?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

supplemented with modulator pigeons

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
found a good one

kstenerud 2 hours ago | prev | next [–]

A big part of this is the culture of the Japanese conservative business owners.

The zaibatsu consider themselves to be effectively equivalent to the daimyo of old (many of them even use the same rituals). To them, being in control is FAR more important than being right. In fact, admitting you were wrong is probably the biggest sin one could commit.

This has changed somewhat in modern times, whereby a company will offer a sacrificial lamb who takes on all the blame and is fired/resigns in a big mea culpa ceremony (or is thrown under the bus if he's a foreigner coughGhosn).

But Sony is one of those hardline conservative companies, so I wouldn't be surprised if they just let the game burn to the ground. You'll remember all of the obstinately incompatible technologies they held fast to until the bitter end...

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
this is about a multiplayer video game suddenly requiring a sony login btw

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I mean,

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
be honest, babe, I'm leet enough for you, right? babe?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I’m guessing someone was getting off to that story? :shrug:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
dr. chuck tingle boldly experimenting with appealing to a hackernews audience in his upcoming hugo-nominated novella, Cucked in the Butt by my so's exe's .exes and .sos

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I’m guessing someone was getting off to that story? :shrug:

I’m trying but I can’t figure out how to do it in O(n ln n)

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Subjunctive posted:

I’m trying but I can’t figure out how to do it in O(n ln n)

the best can do it in O(1)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

corona familiar posted:

the best can do it in O(1)

ah to be version 0.17 again

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

throwup238 2 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Scientists Find an 'Alphabet' in Whale Songs

What are the chances of us being able to decode some of that in our life time? There must be some meaning to it, even if it's not as complex as human speech.

We should do it just to make sure they're not saying "so long and thanks for all the plankton."

baerrie 1 hour ago | prev [–]

Extremely likely, especially with the increasing abilities of LLM to decode unknown languages. Then the test would be for us to produce these sounds and see if the whales respond as expected.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hmm. I think LLM-scale models of sequences and token relationships could be great to have for animal behaviour, but uh I don’t think you can get seven billion parameters out of whale sounds

decoding unknown languages is a doozy

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
they're saying "hello, world"

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

<translated from whalish> "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

if we ever do decode it it'll probably be a fluke

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

alexandriao posted:

especially with the increasing abilities of LLM to decode unknown languages.

where the gently caress do ideas like this even come from

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eschaton posted:

synthesis of other HN nonsense, probably

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

eschaton posted:

probably from llms displaying some level of literacy in dead languages that are well documented in the common crawl, like latin or proto-indo-european. since research in other disciplines doesn't exist to the tech brain, they decide such capabilities must have appeared from thin air

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
*hnishly* we should use llms to decode whale communication

so that we can teach them about Bitcoin

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

llms are the closest we currently have to a universal translator so all the relevant sci-fi tropes must apply

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
if you train the plausible bullshit generating machine on the sorts of things we expect to see from translations of ancient texts then it will somehow discover how to create a semantic model of language translation and not just generate some text that plausibly looks like the translations it was trained on

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

hey now, there's probably plenty of fiction about people talking to whales, dolphins, and other animals that sufficiently advanced llms could piece together in order to make fake translations

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

in fact the paid version of ChatGPT talks to whales every day

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ruffian Price posted:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Ruffian Price posted:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ruffian Price posted:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

LLMs are magic boxes that can answer any questions you throw at them!

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

eschaton posted:

some people lack the divine spark op

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

SolTerrasa posted:

some people lack the divine spark op

also loads of people are functionally illiterate, both specifically with computers and generally with the printed word

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
david_draco 19 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: The new APT 3.0 solver

After reading so many GPT news item, I was confused what APT is, no explanation on the page, no link ... took me a while to realise it is about debian linux' packaging tool apt.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
cdchn 37 minutes ago | parent | prev [–]

> I hope we see a unification of GR and Quantum mechanics in my lifetime. Would be really neat

Not to bring the all pervasive AI topic into this discussion, but I think the best hope we have for finding that unification depends on an AI superintelligence. I wonder if we've reached the limit of what a singular human mind can push.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Mr.Radar posted:

cdchn 37 minutes ago | parent | prev [–]

much more likely that the stochastic parrots turn superintelligent than that hackernews learns about collaboration

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
only the ones built using leaded solder, that ROHS solder doesn’t have the necessary essential nutrient

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

good question. anyone itt know the answer?