Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
He plays like a go-wide swarm deck that just swings with everything once you get him down. You play around with deathless to clone units with any of your self-slaying effects. His ideal support champions seem to be any of the other SI champs with sacrifice packages like Kindred and Thresh. The new rare relic, Disciple in Shadows, accelerates the game plan dramatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
I haven't done anything particularly hard on Mordekaiser yet, but Wollawolla's take sounds about right. You use Deathless to trade and use sacrifice effects while building up a board, then you either bring Morde in to close it out as a huge unit that murders things and drains your opponent, or you just have a critical mass of revived things with big attack and overwhelm to roll over their stuff. The big thing to keep an eye out for imo is a source of something that can help juice your death numbers so Morde is ready to level immediately once you reach him. Azir/starting with the location that gets you sand soldiers, ephemeral units, the power that gives dead units' power to something in hand to make more units pass the 5 power break point, stuff like that.

Also, Disciple In Shadows is an Epic relic and also the easiest way to get him down early, and I don't think there's a rare relic that does anything quite equivalent. Still, if you can last until Morde comes down he's probably the best Corrupted Star Fragment user in the game, since eating one revived unit turns him from a tanky challenger to a giant brick with Overwhelm and you don't even lose anything.

EDIT: Well, I guess Wicked Harvest also helps wipe your own board, but unless you want to also hurt your opponent's board I don't rate it that highly? When Mordekaiser comes down on 7, you should ideally be close enough to leveling to not need to blow up your own board on top of the revivals you're already doing.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 21, 2023

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.
Agreed, you really want CSF on Mordekaiser to keep scaling him. The nice thing is that he’ll revive the unit he eats - if you get the epic item that gives a unit rally on death, you have an infinite combo.
He also really likes Starforged Gauntlets and Disciple of Shadows, ideally both. With those, you can usually get him out on turn 3 or 4 and still have a large board.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Obvious, but he's extremely fun in the challenges where every unit gets killed and revived every turn. Even more so than Thresh, who only benefits every odd turn due to effect order shenanigans.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

I just got back into this after putting it down after I unlocked and maxed the original 2.0 crew (so there are a ton of champs I don't have). One of my rare relics in the emporium is the Corrupted Star Fragment, which I have seen people post about. Is it worth getting that, or should I save my stardust for the gold thing that gives epics?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Just save your stardust. Corrupted Star Fragment doesn't do enough on enough champions to be worth going out of your way for.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I have CSF on like half of my champions, lol. Get it, it's quite good.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Megazver posted:

I have CSF on like half of my champions, lol. Get it, it's quite good.

Huh. Maybe I just really overvalue having separate bodies on the board.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Huh. Maybe I just really overvalue having separate bodies on the board.

There are several good reasons to use CSF. There are champs whose boards start to get cluttered - you've got six units on board and they keep piling up in your hand, and you need to start culling somehow. There are champs who really benefit from eating a unit with a specific keyword to amplify them. (For example, if you're running a champ with CSF, grabbing a support champ that grants you access to a unit with Lifeleach is a no-brainer.) Finally, if you eat an ephemeral unit or a unit that has a big temporary buff, you keep that buff forever! Eating that temporary +3/+3 every turn is great.

I took a look at my roster to see who I currently have CSF on. I don't have all of them at 30 and some of these are probably not optimal, but:

Bard is one of the champs whose board and hand get very cluttered with units and the champ itself really needs to get, like, Regen Overwhelm and Lifeleach to start loving things up.

Diana - pretty frail at 4/2 and you need to get Overwhelm on her somehow, which is done by feeding her Crescent Guardian.

Ekko - also a dweeby 4/2 and there's synergy with the random keywords you get on units with Predict

Elder Dragon - can help with Overwhelm if Ruby-Eyed Conjurer didn't work

Elise - totally in character for her, also girl doesn't even have a Quick Attack by default, you need something to keep her alive when attacking

Gnar - turns him into a super-unit with all that extra Impact and stats

Evelynn - again, lots of dudes in hand, gotta do something with them

Janna - eat all those cheat Updrafted units

Kai'Sa - even though she already has the spell to grab other units' keywords, I find she's also one of the champs who needs to start culling the board

Kindred - works for the champ's power, if you can't trigger it with a spell on that turn, also pretty dweeby

Leblanc - eat that Ephemeral Leblanc or that Mirror Image, over and over

Lee Sin - I don't have it on him atm, but I just realized eating that +8/+8 and making it permanent on the champ would be pretty funny. It'd only work once, but that's fine.

Miss Fortune - she straight up needs CSF. Entire hand filled with trash!

Morderkaiser - hilarious with this guy! you eat someone and they survive it!

Nami - I personally find it hard to keep Nami herself alive without putting CSF and Regen on her

Nasus - I mean, if you survived to the point he's on the board that's pretty good, but the bit of extra oomph you'll get from eating someone will help if you still haven't won

Nilah - Eat those extra units you get from Fleeting

Neeko - CSF gets her from F to like a B

Samira - lotsa units to eat, usually, so why not?

Tahm Kench - ironically I don't use it on him

Taliyah - she's a little meh otherwise imo and she needs the board space eventually

The Poro King - CANNIBALISM

Thresh - in addition to all the usual reasons, he needs mfers to die

Veigar - it's easier to keep the little poo poo alive if he eats units you don't need anymore

Megazver fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 23, 2023

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Okay, board space is actually a really good point. I forgot how many champions have the board getting way too full as a pain point.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
CSF is a great relic, real all-rounder despite sounding like it's only for the Shadow Isles goth crowd.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Mind blown, thank you for helping through CSF ideas everyone.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nidalee's also fantastic cause you can just eat the Ephemerals you get on your first Transform.

Which means Nid can eat herself for an incredibly strong Nid.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I did NOT realize that Elder Dragon's I CANNOT BE STOPPED also a) prevented him from dying as an Ephemeral Unit and b) prevented the Scout Relic from returning him to the deck.

That's insanely strong!

Got a Leblanc support and using Mirror Image on Elder Dragon results in death for the enemy if I have Overwhelm.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Dec 25, 2023

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
What's a good deck for getting that "attack with 75+ power at once in a matchmade game" challenge?

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.

Pilchenstein posted:

What's a good deck for getting that "attack with 75+ power at once in a matchmade game" challenge?

According to reddit, this should work; but you’ll need to find an opponent who doesn’t surrender when you declare your attack, so it might still take a few tries:

CUEACBAFCAAQKBIQAEDAYAIBAYCS4AQBAUATCAQGBINB6AQGBEOS6AYIAUKSSKQAAEAQGBII

Disclaimer: Haven’t tried this myself.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You can only do it in PVP against humans, so whatever.

But uh take the Poro King and grow a very big Heart of Fluff or put the Swole Squirrel into your deck (PVP, remember?)

https://www.reddit.com/r/PathofChampions/comments/18sc1a9/so_if_im_a_pve_poc_only_player_this_is_impossible/

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Got it on my first try with this Swole Squirrel deck, saw people theorising that your opponent is happy to let you take the swing since they can chump the squirrels and can confirm it works in 100% of cases :v:

CECACAQAAEAQGAACAIAQACI2AIBQECILAUAQEAAFAEBQACYBAQAAGBABAAJBGIBMAQAQEAIMDAQAA

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
noone lets me swing after my age of dragons hits the board i just need to attack with 5 cost units ffs

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
https://www.riotgames.com/en/news/2024-player-update

Riot Forge getting shut down

https://playruneterra.com/en-us/news/game-updates/state-of-the-game-2024

LoR focusing more on PVE (this game doesn't have long if this doesn't work)

edit: Had PVP instead of PVE

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 23, 2024

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
If your opponent decided to rope on every decision the games just took too long for me, I don't know if that's why the PvE took off more than the PvP and they're sticking with it.

I posted in the wrong thread but still, rip.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

SirKibbles posted:

LoR focusing more on PVP (this game doesn't have long if this doesn't work)

PVE, not PVP

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

SirKibbles posted:

LoR focusing more on PVP (this game doesn't have long if this doesn't work)

"After we have regrouped as a team, Legends of Runeterra will once again recenter and refocus, this time with the rising star of the Path of Champions forming the core of the business. The Path of Champions is already a popular and rewarding experience enjoyed by a majority of our audience, and we're excited to explore what else we can delight players with in this space."

PVE, bruh

As a PoC-only player, this is mostly good news for me tbh. Too bad about all the jobs lost.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I'm a little suspicious of exactly how they're going to make the game profitable by focusing on the bit that costs the least to play :ohdear:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like if they didn't half-rear end going in on the pvp or pve content one at a time they could of really done a bit more, just feels like it was never given the proper resources from the start and were always swip-swapping between what to focus on.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

They’ve never had proper monetization focused on PvE content. Skins probably get the most use in PvP, boards don’t do much and are mostly a show-off in PvE thing, emotes are useless in PvE. The special rare relics for ASol and Morde are really the only attempts I can recall at monetizing PvE. For a very long time you couldn’t even pay to unlock champions.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Let's fuckin go :black101:

They also changed a bunch of power rarities, Inheritance (when an ally dies, grant its power to an ally in hand) jumped straight from green to purple lol

https://sea.playruneterra.com/en-sg/news/game-updates/patch-5-1-notes/

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Master Yi being 2 cost now is my favorite change.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

Let's fuckin go :black101:]

It may be a bug, but this relic can still show up when you get the Unstable Inventory legendary power.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Wollawolla posted:

It may be a bug, but this relic can still show up when you get the Unstable Inventory legendary power.

There are so many things mislabeled or flat-out wrong in the monthly challenges now. I don't know if the patch broke things or if they've always been this way, but drat if it isn't infuriating when the game straight fucks you over when you have limited chances.

Edit: For example, Inspiring Presence reads "When the Foe plays a Champion, grant their other units +2/+2." This activates anytime they play a champion, play a champion spell, or when a champion is summoned through a card effect.

PJOmega fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 14, 2024

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The worst is +2/+2 for allies when they strike cause it only applies to enemy units in a lot of cases.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
am i correct in understanding that there are no gamepass benefits for path of champions?

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Yeah that's correct. I believe Game Pass only unlocks the base set for your account, but your card collection only matters for PvP so it's irrelevant in the current model of Path of Champions. It's been implied that there are big changes coming to the mode so things could change in the future.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Didn't think I was winning this game (partially cause i'm still not 100% on how priority works with all the spell speeds/phase changes)

I have three medium creatures in play but none with Elusive. Crucially I did have the power that grants creatures a random keyword.

The Tellstones give me access to Crumble, a Slow kill spell. But I wasn't certain if I'd get priority to cast it before they could declare attackers. So instead I took Spirit Journey, a Fast kill spell that also revives the unit, but I think that would be enough to remove it from combat. Well they didn't attack after Tellstones resolved, so maybe you don't give up priority when you cast Burst spells (besides to other Burst spells)? And then I got lucky and the creature I cast got Elusive as its keyword, they attacked with all giving me trades, making the rest of the turn much simpler.

Also I just realized there's a proper rules tutorial besides the Path specific one. Probably would've helped to do that first, but most of the time i've managed to get by with my mtg knowledge and trial and erroring the rest.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Burst spells don't pass priority, so you can play tellstones and the kill spell as one action, though you are also correct that killing and reviving an attacking unit removes it from combat.

Edit: burst spells are essentially free actions, if you play nothing but burst spells on your turn, it's functionally identical to passing in terms of game flow (someone correct me if I'm wrong but they got rid of "burst passing" iirc)

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 22, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

lol this was a turn one kill

(Remembrances had plunder, Frozen in Fear summoned a Champion)

Yeah this was a 2 star champion on a 1.5 adventure so it was gonna be easy regardless, but it’s still fun to optimize.

I’m guessing unlocking and upgrading new champions felt a little less hopeless when the roster was smaller? Cause opening 5 random shards feels like a joke when there are 62 champions.

Not really complaining though, because the game is still a lot of fun just with what’s immediately freely available.

E:

Pilchenstein posted:

Burst spells don't pass priority, so you can play tellstones and the kill spell as one action, though you are also correct that killing and reviving an attacking unit removes it from combat.

Edit: burst spells are essentially free actions, if you play nothing but burst spells on your turn, it's functionally identical to passing in terms of game flow (someone correct me if I'm wrong but they got rid of "burst passing" iirc)

Thanks

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 22, 2024

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

I think you used to be able to burst pass to end a turn if prio was passed to you on your opponents turn. Now it correctly counts as an action and gives your opponent prio back when you pass.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is Spirit Forge something I should pick up whilst it’s cheap?

Still pretty far away from having a three star champion.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Still pretty far away from having a three star champion.

Epic relics are fun and good for giving lower-power champions a leg up, but you're far away from both having champions they can apply to and from having any epic relics to put in the slot in the first place. And when you need to spend 3000 stardust to get a spirit forge and an epic relic in the first place, just buying a spirit forge is a drop in the bucket whether it's 100 or 400.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Wollawolla posted:

I think you used to be able to burst pass to end a turn if prio was passed to you on your opponents turn. Now it correctly counts as an action and gives your opponent prio back when you pass.
I thought you used to be able to play a burst spell and pass to keep the turn going but they changed that because it felt unintuitive or some such? Did they change it back and nobody told me?

edit:

Rinkles posted:

I have never known this item not be on sale and you get one free in the gold reliquary anyway when you unlock an epic relic.

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 22, 2024