Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Reality Loser posted:

Is there anything I can do to encourage Canada to accept the Hispanic immigrants that America wants nothing to do with?

We'd have to invade and storm the Bastille baby jails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Reality Loser posted:

Is there anything I can do to encourage Canada to accept the Hispanic immigrants that America wants nothing to do with?

I wish I could remember the name of it but we signed a treaty or bill or something years ago that prevents us from being a third party involved in immigration with the USA. So you could contact your MP about nixing that I guess.

e: Its called the Safe Third Country Agreement

e2: Of loving course it was signed by Harper and W

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 23, 2018

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Furnaceface posted:

I wish I could remember the name of it but we signed a treaty or bill or something years ago that prevents us from being a third party involved in immigration with the USA. So you could contact your MP about nixing that I guess.

e: Its called the Safe Third Country Agreement

e2: Of loving course it was signed by Harper and W

There's been a lot of noise lately about killing that agreement by racists and non-racists alike!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/JackSmithIV/status/1010233763496853509

:tif:

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

the comments from americans are as boot-licking as you'd expect

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It makes total sense when you see the picture of her mother.

she's black

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Calling for referendums is coward politics

https://twitter.com/brent_bellamy/status/1009834952031170560?s=21

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

The National Post got pretty deep into the weeds of this Justin Trudeau groping a reporter 18 years ago story today.

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/why-an-18-year-old-groping-allegation-against-justin-trudeau-is-not-a-metoo-moment

The story's pretty long, but I think the relevant bit is that the woman in this case doesn't want to talk.

quote:

One day in August 2000, Valerie Bourne — at the time the publisher of the Creston Valley Advance, a small community newspaper in British Columbia’s southern interior — received a visit in her office from one of the newsroom’s two reporters.

The reporter, a woman in her early 20s whom Bourne later described as having an “awesome work ethic” and a “heart of gold,” told her publisher about an unsettling encounter she said she’d had with Justin Trudeau. Not yet involved in politics, the then-28-year-old Trudeau had come to Creston to attend a music festival raising funds to build a backcountry lodge in honour of his late brother.

“She came to me just because she was distressed,” Bourne told the National Post.

Bourne doesn’t recall the exact words the reporter used to describe the incident. However, in its edition of Aug. 14, 2000, the Advance published an unsigned editorial that accused Trudeau of “groping” the reporter.

The now former reporter has declined a request for comment from the Post, which has chosen not to name her. However, both Bourne and the Advance’s then-editor, Brian Bell, told the Post the reporter spoke with them about the alleged incident in its immediate aftermath. What’s more, the reporter appears to have taken steps at the time to make the complaint public; the Post understands she wrote the editorial herself.

Bell, who was on vacation at the time of Trudeau’s visit and of the editorial’s publication, said the reporter spoke with him about the encounter when he returned to the newsroom.

“I believe that it happened,” Bell told the Post. “I know that she told me about it when I got back and I don’t doubt she spoke to the publisher about it.”

The Prime Minister’s Office gave the Post a statement earlier this month saying Trudeau does not recall any “negative interactions” during his visit to Creston that year. Presented Friday with the contemporaneous accounts from Bourne and Bell, Trudeau’s office reiterated the original statement.

So, where does this go now? Nobody wants to discuss it. The PMO just keeps repeating the "no negative interactions" thing over and over and the woman who was apparently groped doesn't want to talk. How do we get our pound of flesh as voters now? The Toronto Sun has said, in a half-smarmy op-ed, that Trudeau should resign over this because #MeToo standards and all, even though everyone knows that's not actually going to happen, but the National Post story has three loving reporters on it. They talked to everyone who might have been tangentially connected with this event.

Social media is all upset because Patrick Brown was run out of town on a rail over the words of two unidentified women in a CTV piece and yet, not even the CPC appears to want to touch this. You'd think Scheer would have a field day with Trudeau's feminist hypocrisy, but all he wants to talk about is loving up Fraser Institute math and misreading NCC documents about swing sets.

We paid for blood! :argh:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Leofish posted:

The National Post got pretty deep into the weeds of this Justin Trudeau groping a reporter 18 years ago story today.

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/why-an-18-year-old-groping-allegation-against-justin-trudeau-is-not-a-metoo-moment

The story's pretty long, but I think the relevant bit is that the woman in this case doesn't want to talk.

So, where does this go now? Nobody wants to discuss it. The PMO just keeps repeating the "no negative interactions" thing over and over and the woman who was apparently groped doesn't want to talk. How do we get our pound of flesh as voters now? The Toronto Sun has said, in a half-smarmy op-ed, that Trudeau should resign over this because #MeToo standards and all, even though everyone knows that's not actually going to happen, but the National Post story has three loving reporters on it. They talked to everyone who might have been tangentially connected with this event.

Social media is all upset because Patrick Brown was run out of town on a rail over the words of two unidentified women in a CTV piece and yet, not even the CPC appears to want to touch this. You'd think Scheer would have a field day with Trudeau's feminist hypocrisy, but all he wants to talk about is loving up Fraser Institute math and misreading NCC documents about swing sets.

We paid for blood! :argh:

The CPC would end up putting their own members under the microscope if they were to go after this and if Ive learned anything over the last 5 years its that Conservatives have a lot of skeletons they want to keep hidden under the current political climate.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

How do we react to this episode of a woman's autonomy being violated? Oh I know let's do the thing she tells us she doesn't want done.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

How do we react to this episode of a woman's autonomy being violated? Oh I know let's do the thing she tells us she doesn't want done.

But don't you see??? It's :siren: The Media :siren: protecting their boy Trudeau. If this had been a conservative something something front page for weeks, etc...

In all seriousness, I agree with you. Despite what Breitbart and the Sun want to say, I think the real reporters who have worked on this are in agreement that if the actual victim in all of this doesn't want anything to do with it anymore, what more is there to say? This isn't like Patrick Brown, where two women (and according to some reports a third woman who was left out of the story) came forward and put their allegations out there and were willing to talk. I still think the Post's triple-byline deep dive into this provides some insight into the whole affair.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Patrick Brown was widely disliked within his own party. He earned the ire of the establishment when he swooped in and took the nomination away from their preferred candidate and then he enraged the two most vocal factions of the party's activist base by advocating for a carbon tax and abandoning his opposition to the new sex ed curriculum. He effectively had no base of support within the party and his own core team of people abandoned him within hours of the allegations dropping.

Chicken posted:

I thought Sam Harris was just an internet atheist with a podcast? I haven't followed him at all since my own internet atheist days like ten years ago. I guess a lot of those guys veered off into Islamophobia and Western supremacy disguised as rationalism so it's not surprising that he would do the same.

He brought Charles Murray, an American academic best known for arguing that black people are genetically prone to be less intelligent than white people and that economic differences between the races likely have a basis in inherited racial traits, onto his podcast and then spent two hours heaping praise on Murray and described some of the oldest and most widely propagated racist ideas in history as "forbidden knowledge" that only a daring truth teller would mention. He also dramatically misrepresented the underlying science and tried to present the idea of racial differences in IQ as the scientific consensus while massively distorting the criticism of scientists who called him out on misrepresenting the research in question.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
There was an entire section on Sam Harris' Wikipedia page about how he's a racist. I tried to cite it now, but it was removed by other racists on Wikipedia for not being notable.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

If you like Charles Murray’s views on race and intelligence, you’ll love his views on gender and intelligence.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Evis posted:

If you like Charles Murray’s views on race and intelligence, you’ll love his views on gender and intelligence.

Not true, I imagine there are a lot of white women who love how he tells it like it is about race and intelligence but don't so much like his crazy, misogynistic views on gender and intelligence. But that's just a wild guess.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
So we aren't supposed to care about the fact the PM might have sexually assaulted someone because the victim doesn't want to talk about it? Its still potentially a serious crime that occurred. I'd want an investigation to determine if a sexual assaulter is the PM. Even if she doesn't want to talk about it, it doesn't mean a horrible thing didn't happen.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Your concern trolling has been noted and will be answered in the order it was received.

* Muzak plays softly in background *

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

patonthebach posted:

So we aren't supposed to care about the fact the PM might have sexually assaulted someone because the victim doesn't want to talk about it? Its still potentially a serious crime that occurred. I'd want an investigation to determine if a sexual assaulter is the PM. Even if she doesn't want to talk about it, it doesn't mean a horrible thing didn't happen.

We should all care but until the woman wants to pursue it there's a bit of a dead end.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

Your concern trolling has been noted and will be answered in the order it was received.

* Muzak plays softly in background *

Sorry for actually being concerned if the guy running our country is a sexual predator. Thats kind of a big deal.

I dont really care if it was 25 years ago and it was "just groping" . Its a big loving deal.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Ya see, American political leaders grope women like this: *grabs the air pussy*

Candian political leaders grope women like THIS: *honks the air boobs*

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I 100% agree that this shouldn't be pursued if the victim does not want to pursue it, but at the same time Justin Trudeau being a sexual predator totally lines up with my impressions of him

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Is the strain of "feminism" where you tell women how to feel about things that have happened to them, and what to do, related to the strain that tells women what they can and can't wear to protect their own freedom?

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
The only solution is to establish a matriarchy

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Testikles posted:

The only solution is to establish a matriarchy

But we already have a Queen.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Lobok posted:

But we already have a Queen.

Sam Bee?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm betting the only reasons the cons aren't pushing this harder is because they have skeletons in their closet especially after the allegations against Brown

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Hey guys maybe it didn't happen?

I mean, treating allegations like this seriously is important, but tbh an incident twenty five years ago without even any witnesses or victim coming forward reeks pretty heavily of people with an agenda combing for skeletons

From what I remember, no one with a name came forward for Patrick Brown, so I also wouldn't have expected him to stand down, although undoubtedly not a good dude according to rumors. His party turned on him awful quick though...

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The Conservatives have to decide, is he a Trudope or a Trudiddler?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

ante posted:

Assume it did happen, then what? What if the woman is just happier with Trudeau in power than Scheer?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Recently read about Steven Galloway at UBC (long read, but I thought it laid out all the pertinent points) and how he got railroaded. An important enough allegation to just destroy his career, but the initial crime was never found to have been committed or as far as I can tell investigated by police.

quote:

Madam Justice Boyd officially delivered her final report to Dean Gage Averill. Boyd found that all of the sexual assault allegations in 2011 against Galloway were not proven, based on a balance-of-probabilities standard (lower than the criminal beyond a reasonable doubt standard); and that “for the next two years, from the Spring of 2011 until the Spring of 2013, the parties were involved in an extramarital affair, in which there is no allegation of harassment or assault.”

Admittedly bone headed move with his relationships with students since its an unbalanced teacher-student relationship, which was why he was terminated.

I strongly believe that you should always tell the police about possible crimes and not just go onto social media to destroy a person before due process. Patrick brown or Justin Trudeau, all crimes should be a legal police/court matter not a mob pushing for "justice". Otherwise we have horridly slid down a path of anarchy where a mob decides the rules and punishment for people and the Rule of Law is dead.

quote:

In a November, 2016 exchange, famed Canadian novelist Margaret Atwood—who has stood by her original call for UBC to respect Galloway’s right to due process—tweeted that “no one can be asked to believe or not believe a package of unknown things.”

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

infernal machines posted:

As a life long pedestrian in a big city I can assure you that yes, everyone is out to kill you. Also, I see at least as many motorists flagrantly ignoring the law (with no consequences) as cyclists. I don't know what it takes to get TPS to ticket you in a car, but it's a high loving bar, that's for sure.

I once saw TPS stop a guy downtown because he had moved into an intersection to turn left and failed to do so after it turned red. I think that's about it. I've seen as many incidents of plainclothes cops taking down a guy in broad daylight.

There's also the nice feature that police basically anywhere won't pursue any incidents involving cyclists or pedestrians because :effort:.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Chillyrabbit posted:

I strongly believe that you should always tell the police about possible crimes and not just go onto social media to destroy a person before due process. Patrick brown or Justin Trudeau, all crimes should be a legal police/court matter not a mob pushing for "justice". Otherwise we have horridly slid down a path of anarchy where a mob decides the rules and punishment for people and the Rule of Law is dead.

Can you come up with:

• Any reason someone with a legitimate criminal complaint may choose not to tell the police?
• Any possible scenario where police are told about a legitimate crime and choose not to investigate?
• An example of noncriminal behaviour that should nonetheless result in one's banishment from a particular community?

If you can, then your strong belief may be somewhat naive. If you cannot, I suggest you seek out accounts of the above because they are not difficult to find and may prove illuminating.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

patonthebach posted:

People care, it's just that there's not a whole lot to investigate. There's a press clipping from 18 years ago that may or may not have been written by the alledged victim and one personal account of an editor talking to the victim. The victim herself doesn't want to talk, come forward or make a serious complaint and it would be wrong to continue to push her and try to compell a testimony so where else do you go from here.

Chillyrabbit posted:

Recently read about Steven Galloway at UBC (long read, but I thought it laid out all the pertinent points) and how he got railroaded. An important enough allegation to just destroy his career, but the initial crime was never found to have been committed or as far as I can tell investigated by police.

Admittedly bone headed move with his relationships with students since its an unbalanced teacher-student relationship, which was why he was terminated.

Like the example above due process does nothing for victims of sexual assualt and the "rule of law" is not equipped to handle a majority of sexual harassment and sexual assualt claims. The current movement is response to decades of failure in the justice system to reform or do anything to deal with any of this.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

ante posted:

I mean, treating allegations like this seriously is important, but tbh an incident twenty five years ago without even any witnesses or victim coming forward reeks pretty heavily of people with an agenda combing for skeletons

From what I remember, no one with a name came forward for Patrick Brown, so I also wouldn't have expected him to stand down, although undoubtedly not a good dude according to rumors. His party turned on him awful quick though...

The women who came forward against Patrick Brown were protected by CTV. The network chose not to identify them. Note that Brown isn't suing any of the actual women in the report (and he absolutely knows who they are), he's just suing CTV and the reporters involved in the story. His accusers were internet detective'd out pretty quickly and have had a lot of poo poo thrown at them online since Brown's resignation.

As for this Trudeau incident, we don't know a whole lot more than just this 18-year-old clipping from a small town paper, and the person who does know doesn't want to talk about it. Will the Liberal Party investigate the boss the same way Hehr was investigated? Not likely. The PMO just keeps saying Trudeau "doesn't recall any negative interactions" over and over. Should there be some attempt to reconcile this with the public? I think the PMO was happy to let it fester in the Sun and Breitbart world (although the NYT put it in the lede of their G7 story and then never mentioned it again), but moving it into the National Post like this may change a tune.

Trudeau has made a big show of being a feminist ally and has said the standards he holds the party to apply to him as well, so I think, at the very least, this should be addressed. It may take a Parliament Hill reporter to actually ask him about it in a scrum though, to see if we can get something more than the carefully worded statement the PMO keeps putting out.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

DariusLikewise posted:

People care, it's just that there's not a whole lot to investigate.

It's the PM being accused of sexually assaulting someone. I'd say that deserves a proper investigation from police.

If we found a press clipping that the PM tries to rob a bank in 2002. But the teller doesn't want to talk about it , would we not still try to find out what really happened?

This isn't a story of him stealing a chocolate bar. Its touching someone sexually that's unwanted. It's a big loving deal. He's running the country.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

"Victims of crime have agency, you say? I don't loving think so!" -- a man who's clearly concerned about victims above all else

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

PT6A posted:

"Victims of crime have agency, you say? I don't loving think so!" -- a man who's clearly concerned about victims above all else

Counterpoint: victims don't really have agency in situations where outing themselves by trying to push charges against sleazebags puts them at risk of severe retaliation from very powerful individuals with limited recourse.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

Why do you think they made it so the police have to lay charges of domestic violence when it occurs, regardless of if the victim is willing to testify (or even speak to the police during the initial investigation)?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Chillyrabbit posted:

Three things that are bullshit

✔ Cops
✔ Due process
✔ Rule of law

xtal fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

pokeyman posted:

Can you come up with:

• Any reason someone with a legitimate criminal complaint may choose not to tell the police?
• Any possible scenario where police are told about a legitimate crime and choose not to investigate?
• An example of noncriminal behaviour that should nonetheless result in one's banishment from a particular community?

If you can, then your strong belief may be somewhat naive. If you cannot, I suggest you seek out accounts of the above because they are not difficult to find and may prove illuminating.

All those are true, especially the last one (people can be assholes because they are human). I just disagree that sexual assault/harassment crimes have to only be dealt with outside of the legal system. Either we have due process for everyone or you have mob justice which can be as easily perverted as an inept legal system.

Example:
I hate John because he got a promotion, just gin up a sexual assault case let the mob destroy him (without due process, evidence who needs evidence believe the victim) and waltz right up the ladder.

I understand its not likely, but it is a possibility if we just allow and facilitate people to work outside the legal system.

The current system may be failing or not working, but if it goes too far in the other direction (eliminate pesky due process and the rules around evidence) its just as bad. I'm skeptical that we need social media blitzes to publish far and wide accusations that are just that, accusations with no evidence backing them up. You can't force anyone to believe everything especially if there is no evidence.