Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
For anyone who wants to go Full NEET like me, someone made a RDM Simulator. I'm mostly just clicking buttons because it's really hard to visualize where I want my keybindings to be without having the actual game in front of me, but it's kinda cute for seeing just how things weave together and when you have openings in your rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Over a period of time equal to forever. Their combos are weak.

...whose combos? are you talking about now or in stormblood? it's already verifiably untrue that the paladin burst window is stronger than the warriors, but like I said I don't know how the pld combo numbers got tweaked. but I'm fairly certain a paladin right now does not deal better damage than a warrior with it's combos.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 4, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

...whose combos? are you talking about now or in stormblood? it's already verifiably untrue that the paladin burst window is stronger than the warriors, but like I said I don't know how the pld combo numbers got tweaked

PLD's preview saw a 10 potency increase on pretty much all combo abilities and Goring Blade's tweaked to be 680 potency before ForF.

The main things WAR'll have over PLD in SB is the damage bonus from Storm's Path and the additional crit from Deliverance. At least in a raid situation where there'll probably be someone else to Slashing Debuff.
Berserk and Fight or Flight are now pretty much equivalent and WAR's potencies haven't been shown to change.

So assuming the preview has final numbers we have:
PLD threat combo potency 160 + 210 + 270 vs. WAR's 150 + 200 + 280 (w/ Eye bonus: 180 + 240 + 336)
Royal Authority 160 + 240 + 360 vs. Storm's Eye 150 + 190 + 270 (180 + 228 + 324)
Goring Blade combo 160 + 240 + 260 (and 60 over 21s) vs. Storm's Path 150 + 190 + 250 (180 + 228 + 300)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 4, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
a ten potency increase is barely (or in some cases, not even) offsetting the bonus damage from maim (now storm's eye), though. I thought the potency buffs were then obviously trying to offset the fact pld has no rotational ability to boost it's own damage.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh jeez those MCH changes sound fantastic. Now I'm not sure whether to play that or level RDM.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
MCH is currently the least-popular job going into SB according to the 10k person reddit poll, and RDM is tied with SAM for most popular by a huge margin, if that makes your decision any easier.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

We're looking for a SCH and a NIN/DRG/MNK for our static for Stormblood. We're raiding from 6-10 PM PST Friday and Saturday. We have a thread on the new offsite where you can get in contact with us!

http://catgirl.bargains/topic/18-club-penguin-expats-recruiting-sch-drgnin/

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

a ten potency increase is barely (or in some cases, not even) offsetting the bonus damage from maim (now storm's eye), though. I thought the potency buffs were then obviously trying to offset the fact pld has no rotational ability to boost it's own damage.
I was going to type up a long post, but here's a spreadsheet comparing DRK (Stormblood) to PLD (Stormblood) as an example. WAR is around DRK's level of potency at the same time frame for reference, but don't take just my word for it. Feel free to run a sheet out yourself for WAR.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LgWAu5BviMyumP8D0tfjrUbKtj9Sez5SRfNAEx_ysng/edit#gid=762734293

vv

Royal Authority combos off Riot Blade now. It gives you MP back every use.

FaintlyQuaint fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 4, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
ignoring the fact deliverance also gives you five percent free damage, paladin comes out very slightly ahead in...situations where they're both spamming their dps combos? only not really, if you account for the fact that spamming royal authority will leave you MP-starved for your Requesciat windows (assuming that a full 6 Holy Spirit window leaves you relatively MP-compromised, but I don't know what PLD mp pools will end up looking like)

either way I have no idea what you're talking about when you say PLD is ten percent ahead of the other tanks and I'm not really sure you do either.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I'm still having trouble deciding if I should go SCH or WHM for 4.0. Help please

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Valicious posted:

I'm still having trouble deciding if I should go SCH or WHM for 4.0. Help please

thin air means even more holy spam than ever before

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

spamming royal authority will leave you MP-starved for your Requesciat windows

if it wasn't obvious you didn't know what you were talking about before, it's suuuuper obvious now

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EponymousMrYar posted:

Cast times are gone, Ammo is down to 3 and there's a new Heat mechanic tied to Gauss Barrel where you build heat up and keep it in the 50-100 range, since that gives you Heated Split, Slug and Clean shots which are higher potency than normal. Once you hit 100 heat you get a 20% damage buff for like, 20 seconds and then you lose Gauss Barrel and it goes on a 10 sec cooldown.

Also Wildfire is only a 10 second duration but your shots are getting out faster so reh. Turrets still have their hypercharge buffs although now you can overload them for a high potency attack (Rook's like, 400 IIRC) but that wrecks the turret for a duration.

Also also more sick kick flipping shooting gun animations.

Oh! I had missed the bit where Wildfire is only ten seconds now!

That'll be a lot better for squeezing it in before boss transitions!

Dryzen posted:

We're looking for a SCH and a NIN/DRG/MNK for our static for Stormblood. We're raiding from 6-10 PM PST Friday and Saturday. We have a thread on the new offsite where you can get in contact with us!

http://catgirl.bargains/topic/18-club-penguin-expats-recruiting-sch-drgnin/

Sorry to hijack your post, Dryzen, but no HTTPS in 2017? What kind of cockamamie operation is this?!

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 4, 2017

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

ignoring the fact deliverance also gives you five percent free damage, paladin comes out very slightly ahead in...situations where they're both spamming their dps combos? only not really, if you account for the fact that spamming royal authority will leave you MP-starved for your Requesciat windows (assuming that a full 6 Holy Spirit window leaves you relatively MP-compromised, but I don't know what PLD mp pools will end up looking like)

either way I have no idea what you're talking about when you say PLD is ten percent ahead of the other tanks and I'm not really sure you do either.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Velthice posted:

if it wasn't obvious you didn't know what you were talking about before, it's suuuuper obvious now

okay, so you're not mana-starved for your Holy Spirit windows. you're still effectively dealing the same rotational damage as a warrior and significantly less during your burst windows.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

okay, so you're not mana-starved for your Holy Spirit windows. you're still effectively dealing the same rotational damage as a warrior and significantly less during your burst windows.

Paladin gets slashing, too. There is no comparison where PLD doesn't get slashing in a raid where it's competing with WAR.

PLD's "burst window" is 42 seconds of every 60 seconds. PLD can also burst immediately.

WAR's "burst window" is 20 seconds of every 60 seconds. WAR cannot burst immediately.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

You have that both backwards and wrong. It's the same burst damage and significantly more rotational damage.

I mean, you should probably take a gander at what changed in paladin before you argue more.

Also the burst window for paladin doesn't revolve around FoF because it doesn't buff magic damage. What we're comparing is Requiescat vs Berserk in the big burst window and on top of that another 30 seconds of 30% more rotational damage, which all has higher potency with the sole exception being warrior's threat combo hits a little harder.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Paladin gets slashing, too. There is no comparison where PLD doesn't get slashing in a raid where it's competing with WAR.

PLD's "burst window" is 42 seconds of every 60 seconds. PLD can also burst immediately.

WAR's "burst window" is 20 seconds of every 60 seconds. WAR cannot burst immediately.

i haven't accounted for slashing because both are benefitting from it equally, like you said, I'm only accounting for the bonus damage from old-maim.

you're right that paladin gets a better burst window (it's not really bursting because of the frequency, it's more like alternating damage methods), but for arguments sake let's agree that requesciat is your 'burst' window, and we'll say that warriors is only six fell cleaves and chop off any remaining berserk time. six holy spirits is doing around 3.1k damage. six fell cleaves is slightly north of 4300. that's a lot of gap to make up in forty seconds before it happens again.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 4, 2017

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i haven't accounted for slashing because both are benefitting from it equally, like you said, I'm only accounting for the bonus damage from old-maim.

you're right that paladin gets a better burst window (it's not really bursting because of the frequency, it's more like alternating damage methods), but for arguments sake let's agree that requesciat is your 'burst' window, and we'll say that warriors is only six fell cleaves and chop off any remaining berserk time. six holy spirits is doing around 3.1k damage. six fell cleaves is slightly north of 4300. that's a lot of gap to make up in forty seconds before it happens again.

It's 8 seconds shorter.

Meaning paladin has 48 seconds to make up for it, 30 of which are with FoF up and higher potencies on everything. Rage of Halone doesn't do str down anymore so you only touch it if you need the threat.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Yes, I like to make up arbitrary situations that favor a 120 second cooldown compared to a 60 second cooldown damage cycle by ending the comparison before they both happen more than once.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Countblanc posted:

MCH is currently the least-popular job going into SB according to the 10k person reddit poll, and RDM is tied with SAM for most popular by a huge margin, if that makes your decision any easier.

Makes it easier for me. MCH till the end of Stormblood, and then MAYBE SAM once the initial rush of SAM players thin out. I like being a special snowflake.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Countblanc posted:

Could you link that poll, please? I'm curious to see the results as a whole.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://www.strawpoll.me/13104822
Presumably talking about this one.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

http://www.strawpoll.me/13104822

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

To be fair, I do think WAR will be in the meta. Unless DRK actually has the trick attack equivalent like that one dude thinks it will, it'll lose the knife fight over the OT position due to not bringing a 2 gcd slashing resist debuff, and warrior will want to OT anyway since stance dancing will punish you hard and you can't do your big dick fell cleave combo as MT very easily.

Also, isn't DPS from actual DPSers going up across the board? If that happens and incoming damage is higher (which is kind of implied with some of the healer decisions like fairy tether and lillies and higher heal potencies) then you'll be sitting in your tank stance a lot more than you are now.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

In terms of potency of their respective burst,

6x Fell Cleaves under Berserk is 6750
6x Holy Spirits under Requiscat is 3036

A ForF'd Goring Blade combo is 1404 potency (assuming no invulnerability windows etc.) and PLD gets to use it twice during the buff duration, with Royal Authority clocking in at 988.
Compared to WAR who will only get (on average) one 906 Butcher's Block combo with berserk added and then have 22 seconds of PLD spamming ~230 more potency in damage than them before you're back to rough parity (WAR does 4 less potency per Butchers Block than Royal Authority) for 20 seconds and then the whole thing starts over again.

The only thing keeping WAR's ahead is the additional crit from Deliverance and a Tank spamming threat combos so WAR can use Butcher's block more.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 4, 2017

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I kind of like that the fate of tanks rest in the hands of a coin flip of whether the na or jp tooltips are closest to being right

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Yes, I like to make up arbitrary situations that favor a 120 second cooldown compared to a 60 second cooldown damage cycle by ending the comparison before they both happen more than once.

in the contexts of bursts, yes? we're talking about aligning cooldowns here. pld is lucky in that both of its damage windows are self-contained. it doesn't even make sense in the design space of the game to have paladin be the highest damage tank and I am almost positive when stormblood releases that it will not be the case.

the paladin changes all look very cool and I'll actually play the class now because I want to and not because I feel like I have to level it but even in a vaccuum I don't see why the best defensive tank in the game would do the most damage and have that be acceptable from a gameplay balance perspective.

really we're just shouting at each other about best guesses and maybe in practice I'll be wrong, it would just be personally surprising to see.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Gizmo Chicken posted:

Aw, thought it was the google sheets one. Darn, BRD is way the hell up there, so I'll still have those poncy twits stealing all my dex gear. =P

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

EponymousMrYar posted:

In terms of potency of their respective burst,

6x Fell Cleaves under Berserk is 6750
6x Holy Spirits under Requiscat is 3036

A ForF'd Goring Blade combo is 1404 potency (assuming no invulnerability windows etc.) and PLD gets to use it twice during the buff duration, with Royal Authority clocking in at 988.
Compared to WAR who will only get (on average) one 906 Butcher's Block combo with berserk added and then have 22 seconds of PLD spamming ~230 more potency in damage than them before you're back to rough parity (WAR does 4 less potency per Butchers Block than Royal Authority) for 20 seconds and then the whole thing starts over again.

The only thing keeping WAR's ahead is the additional crit from Deliverance and a Tank spamming threat combos so WAR can use Butcher's block more.

You want to Butcher's Block exactly once per set of combos between Berserk at the most.

The loss of rage buildup from not hitting Storm's Path is devastating for WAR damage if you hit it more often.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gizmo Chicken posted:

Yup.

So what's most striking to me is less the RDM/SAM numbers and more the DPS numbers in general. Black Mage, basically the most popular DPS job according to every source I can find (geared past 260, at level 60, etc.), has been completely gutted. Presumably the majority of those players are saying they want to shift over to RDM. The same goes for DRG (historically the second-most popular) and SAM, though a much less pronounced effect. The other DPS classes seem pretty stable.

WHM has a similar story to tell, where according to LuckyBancho's census data it has historically made up >50% of the geared healing population even despite its performance (or at least perception) in 3.4+. But people - including me - have really keyed into how lovely the new mechanic looks and want to shift over to AST.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Yup.

So what's most striking to me is less the RDM/SAM numbers and more the DPS numbers in general. Black Mage, basically the most popular DPS job according to every source I can find (geared past 260, at level 60, etc.), has been completely gutted. Presumably the majority of those players are saying they want to shift over to RDM. The same goes for DRG (historically the second-most popular) and SAM, though a much less pronounced effect. The other DPS classes seem pretty stable.

WHM has a similar story to tell, where according to LuckyBancho's census data it has historically made up >50% of the geared healing population even despite its performance (or at least perception) in 3.4+. But people - including me - have really keyed into how lovely the new mechanic looks and want to shift over to AST.

Wait, what? How is BLM gutted? What did I miss?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
http://www.strawpoll.me/4913274/r

(poll before Heavensward)

BLM never is strong in any of these

and I guarantee you 90% of SAM/RDM are going to quit a month in

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I meant in terms of players. Again using LuckyBancho's census it was the DPS job most geared at 260+ (with DRG just behind it).

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I assume they meant popularitywise, because in terms of skills Stormblood looks like it's being pretty good to us. Foul, Enochian being super-easy to maintain, Umbral Hearts letting us squeeze in more F4s during Astral phase...

I'm doing the story as BLM because I think of my character as a black mage first and foremost but afterwards I'll definitely join the crimson crowd, leveling up PLD and MCH alongside it. Hell, maybe I'll actually try BRD at some point.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
yeah, warriors don't want to butchers block any more than they have to come stormblood, and in a vaccuum probably want someone else to give out slashing debuffs if you're talking about best personal dps. three and a half path combos give you 2 fell cleaves, whereas right now you need two and a half of any one combo for a single fell cleave. the quicker fell cleaves more than offset the lower damage from not using the block combo.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 4, 2017

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Doublestep posted:

http://www.strawpoll.me/4913274/r

(poll before Heavensward)

BLM never is strong in any of these

and I guarantee you 90% of SAM/RDM are going to quit a month few hours in (at most)

FTFY

Countblanc posted:

I meant in terms of players. Again using LuckyBancho's census it was the DPS job most geared at 260+ (with DRG just behind it).

oh whew, you scared the poo poo out of me. I was gonna do BLM for my ranged DPS and I was worried I had missed them losing 50 potency on everything or something.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

yeah that's probably more accurate

Ninja's falloff was hilarious and it didn't have an expansion's worth of content to compete with

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Velthice posted:

I kind of like that the fate of tanks rest in the hands of a coin flip of whether the na or jp tooltips are closest to being right

It's kind of sad that DRK can't really get in on any of this. RIP Scourge, you were the real Fracture we lost in game :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I can't wait for pubs to realize that Samurai DPS might actually be hard to get anything out of.

And that RDM doesn't just cast blm spells but doubled.

• Locked thread