Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm curious what people think of streamers involving their kids in streaming in any way.

My instinctual reaction is "Oh dear God NO", but I suppose if you're just streaming privately for a dozen of your friends having your kid involved would be fine. If you've got a big channel, eugh no way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm curious what people think of streamers involving their kids in streaming in any way. Not putting them to work or anything, but like, with Maximilian Dood for example, his daughter, Ripley, will run into the room he streams in and hang out with him for a bit, sit in a chair to watch, or play with the various plushies he's gotten over the years, or whatever. And he'll pick her up and take a break from streaming and play with her on camera for a bit or tell a dad story while she chills in his lap.

It's super adorable, but I've heard some people consider it exploitation, or that it's dangerous, or other reasons she shouldn't ever be on camera.

Meanwhile, PatStaresAt, another streamer I follow, flat-out said that he will NEVER allow his child on camera under any circumstances, going so far as to build a second building outside his house specifically for streaming in to keep his home life and online life utterly separate at all times.

I never really considered it a hazard for Ripley, and it was certainly cute watching her go from a baby, to tottering around as she learned to walk, and now grow to be the three-year-old she currently is. But I can see it from both of their angles, Max doesn't feel it's bad to involve his kid in his streaming(sparingly), and Pat wants to keep them entirely parallel forever. I've heard of stories of horrifically abusive parents using their children as content mills, but this isn't that, she's doing her own thing and sometimes wanders in to say hi to dad while he works. I never really put much thought into it until Pat had his kid and I heard the stories of those parents who got put away for a long time for the things they did to their kids, so I'm curious what the thought about it is on here.

Regardless of how wholesome and well intentioned it is, it's still exposing a kid to the shithole that is the internet before they have the ability to understand what they're getting into.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
There's a fine line between "here's my kid, I'm proud of them" and letting them have a life outside of the Internet, where they can play, have fun, be kids.

And the family YouTube channels where they record them essentially 24/7, do the worst acting for "prank videos" (for YouTube shorts) or play something like a bootleg PLINKO or Beer Pong to win $100 or "loser cleans the bathroom" in a desperate attempt at vitality.

I'm weary all the time, about it, I'm happy when I find out a content creator I like has a kid, but the more frequent you see the baby/toddler/child in the videos the more you do get weary if the idea is "they'll take over my theme park vlog" or "they'll be taking over this family business".

Let the kids have their own joy, I think having a camera in your face and having to play pretend and do "influencer voice" at an early age is just creepy to me, like a really poo poo black mirror.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, to be clear, I'm talking about a streamer having their kid on camera at all, not having their kid be the focus of a channel like those described in TelevisedInsanity's post. Ripley will wander in and visit Max for about 1-3 minutes usually before mom comes and takes her or Max takes her to mom. I follow Max but don't watch a ton of his stuff, and of the streams I have watched she will usually show up shortly once or twice in the entire stream.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think that’s just life as a steamer. Sometimes the outside world might slip in. People sometimes gotta chill and understand that things happen.

Would be different if they went to grab the kid from outside and plucked them down in front of the computer.

I’ve seen people get mad that someone posted a video of their cat in a silly costume or something and get mad“because they can’t consent” and it’s like bro come the hell on.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

So long as they're just briefly hanging out with their kid while working and not, like, making them a part of the show, I don't see a huge problem. Maybe ideally you'd stream from a place other than your house and be able to keep your personal life 100% siloed off from the camera, but in reality, balancing financial resources, the demands of streaming, and just spending enough time with your kids sounds tough.

Like, is it better for a toddler to not see one of their parents for 8-10 hours per day or to spend a few minutes within view of the stream? I dunno if I have a concrete answer to that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Skippy McPants posted:

So long as they're just briefly hanging out with their kid while working and not, like, making them a part of the show, I don't see a huge problem. Maybe ideally you'd stream from a place other than your house and be able to keep your personal life 100% siloed off from the camera, but in reality, balancing financial resources, the demands of streaming, and just spending enough time with your kids sounds tough.

Like, is it better for a toddler to not see one of their parents for 8-10 hours per day or to spend a few minutes within view of the stream? I dunno if I have a concrete answer to that.

But like, when I worked out of an office, my kid didn't see me for 8-10 hours a day. Until relatively recently that was the norm. I don't really watch any streamers but do they stream continuously for ten hours or do they break it up into chunks? Because it seems like you could work both of those around spending time with your kids off camera.

I agree that there's a difference between making your kid the focus and just including them, I'm just really conscious that once that footage of them exists then it's on the internet forever and kiwifarms and their ilk will weaponise poo poo like that if the kid dares to do anything they don't like in the future.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
One of the tabletop wargaming terrain channels I used to watch has had his kids wandering into his videos since he started back in the early 00s, if you click back through his older videos you can see them growing up over the years:

It's only a small channel and the kids usually only pop in for a few minutes here and there, although at one point he had his livestream logo redrawn to include them

He's pretty much a hobbyist youtuber who's always shared his hobby with his kids, it probably never even occurred to him to keep them distanced from his youtube stuff

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

obviously the reason it's a bad idea to include your kids in your content is the worry that random members of your audience will take screenshots of the kids and post them to forums to make a point in a discussion

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

We do have a radio host that does try to push his kid as a figure of note, and any time he gets on camera\studio you can tell everything is weirdly scripted in a way you can tell that the kid isn't much into it. I'm using NorhternLion or Slowbeef as... good examples since both do legit let their kids come in and out without necessarily pushing as people to crush content into. They're not like, advertising their kid's minecraft server or making them say how they don't watch TikTok but rather read philosophy or whatever.

This is directed to the other portuguese poster that shows up here sometimes and yes this is a Nuno Markl pisstake.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Metis of the Chat Thread posted:

obviously the reason it's a bad idea to include your kids in your content is the worry that random members of your audience will take screenshots of the kids and post them to forums to make a point in a discussion

Those are the thumbnails he picked for those videos

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Having children be in the video incidentally is something I don't have a problem with. Some streamers are parents and a toddler might walk into view of the camera before the intruder can be caught.

Having them there with their consent is iffy, but like, a board game channel reviewing a game and having an (older) child as one of the players is fine. Traditional media has included children in programming since forever, and from a certain age on I think it's fine with supervision.

What makes my skin crawl is when children are either streaming to the internet unsupervised, or the private life of a child being broadcast by parents. That's completely unacceptable and should have social services involved.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d imagine it’s hard if the kid is crafty. Being an online streamer/YouTuber is probably at this point as much of a in demand thing as a movie star or rock star so kids who have the drive to do it will do it.

But I do think for people under 18 there should be restrictions. Sorry kids but shits wild lol. Being a kid and being anonymous on a forum or Reddit is one thing but it’s another when you just open your entire life to strangers

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Metis of the Chat Thread posted:

Or as a point to make in a "news" article like what happened recently to Jeff Gerstmann.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

I've also been picking through this long video expose on the lies and abuse within The Satanic Temple, which was the satanist group who were supposed to be more progressive than the Church of Satan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lV8GLQtOTs

That’s too bad, as they were doing some good stuff to oppose abortion bans etc while pursuing their main deal of trolling to uphold the separation of church and state. They were also supposed to be even more transparently a bunch of trolls than the church of Satan.

It’s the skeptic movement all over again.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I’d imagine it’s hard if the kid is crafty. Being an online streamer/YouTuber is probably at this point as much of a in demand thing as a movie star or rock star so kids who have the drive to do it will do it.

But I do think for people under 18 there should be restrictions. Sorry kids but shits wild lol. Being a kid and being anonymous on a forum or Reddit is one thing but it’s another when you just open your entire life to strangers

We're like a couple of years off the first generation of "family youtuber" kids becoming adults and I'd be amazed if a chunk of them don't immediately move out, become estranged from their parents and start trying to DMCA videos of themselves.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They should. I watched one of those videos because they were one of the few that had a decent review of this sam animatronic at the time and it was just so off putting

Here’s the video. It’s very bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJU1eKb_Tsg

Just made me feel icky. But the animatronic is very cool and I own it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I AM GRANDO posted:

That’s too bad, as they were doing some good stuff to oppose abortion bans etc while pursuing their main deal of trolling to uphold the separation of church and state. They were also supposed to be even more transparently a bunch of trolls than the church of Satan.

It’s the skeptic movement all over again.

It's not shocking at all how many "we're being edgelords, BUT ITS FOR A GOOD CAUSE" groups end up exploding in drama or long-term lies or serial abuse or all of them.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I've mentioned them before in this thread, but my wife's youngest kid used to watch a LOT of "Norris Nuts" videos and that is 100% a family that is going to implode once enough of them realise what their parents have done to them. They even have the kids editing the videos too, so woo, free labour.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

But like, when I worked out of an office, my kid didn't see me for 8-10 hours a day. Until relatively recently that was the norm.

The norm, sure, but is it ideal for the parent or child? Not that I'm implying going to work is a form of abuse or negligence. In fact, that's kinda my point. As a parent, given the choice between being away from them for 8+ hours a day or having them occasionally wander into your stream both seem fairly benign.

Assuming the parent in question is acts responsibly either way, of course.

Fil5000 posted:

We're like a couple of years off the first generation of "family youtuber" kids becoming adults and I'd be amazed if a chunk of them don't immediately move out, become estranged from their parents and start trying to DMCA videos of themselves.

It's like kids forced into spots or beauty pageants. Trying to monetize or live vicariously through your kid rarely has a happy ending.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

There's an a capella singer who I really enjoy on YouTube named Pete Hollens and he has been doing duets with his son who is just a tiny little kid and I think they are usually very cute videos but, thinking about it, I'm not sure if his son is really aware enough to be making a decision on whether he wants literally millions of people watching him sing. Like right now I'm sure it is just something fun that he gets to do with his Dad but in a few years when he's trying to grow up and have a normal experience in high school I don't know if it's going to be too great that there are videos of tiny him singing along to Thunderstruck online.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

What about putting a picture of your kids in a video in order to get sympathy/money to pay for something you used without permission? Is that ok?

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 29, 2024

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, to be clear, I'm talking about a streamer having their kid on camera at all, not having their kid be the focus of a channel like those described in TelevisedInsanity's post. Ripley will wander in and visit Max for about 1-3 minutes usually before mom comes and takes her or Max takes her to mom. I follow Max but don't watch a ton of his stuff, and of the streams I have watched she will usually show up shortly once or twice in the entire stream.

No problems with the kid running in on Maximum Dude He's a streamer and that's a live interruption, no different than if the phone rings or a doorbell.

Max is just a happy dad with their kid. And that's more cute/wonderful. Same amount of joy as when a streamer's cat or dog show up to the stream.

Big big difference. Plus, Max can handle it, he's a professional. He's not getting the camera out if the kid is crying.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TelevisedInsanity posted:

No problems with the kid running in on Maximum Dude He's a streamer and that's a live interruption, no different than if the phone rings or a doorbell.

Max is just a happy dad with their kid. And that's more cute/wonderful. Same amount of joy as when a streamer's cat or dog show up to the stream.

Big big difference. Plus, Max can handle it, he's a professional. He's not getting the camera out if the kid is crying.

Yeah, it would be a lot different if he was dragging Ripley into the room and going "You are going to hit Diamond with Cammy tonight, young lady!" and then that was the stream like some kind of horrible showbiz dad that I'm sure exists on streaming but have luckily never encountered myself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he should do that imo

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if phil can reach master so can a child

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Pat minimises publicly available footage of his child so as to hold a powerful bargaining chip in dealing with his extended family.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
lol, watching Northernlion realize his daughter could read a bit better than he thought live on stream when he let her “help” with a game was so funny and relatable to me (an old bald dad).

In general (streaming, social media, etc) I’m cool with a parent posting incidental nonsense with their kid when the kid is young. For me, the acceptability drops with the age of the kid and the regularity of the appearances. If the kid is showing up all the time I start to get ick.

Big streamers that seem to be doing it in a healthy way: Anne Riordon, Tom Vasel, Northernlion… I thought this list would be longer. I dunno, I feel like there’s a definite vibe difference between a parent wanting to share the joy they have for their kids and a parent mining their kid for content.

But I also know that all media is constructed, so I’m still wary of even the most spotless vibes.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Clerical Terrors posted:

Pat minimises publicly available footage of his child so as to hold a powerful bargaining chip in dealing with his extended family.

Threatening your drunk racist uncle with an online mob at thanksgiving ftw.

Gramma better shut her trap, before I doxx her rear end.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
This is Northernlion's best dad moment:

https://clips.twitch.tv/LivelyEasySnoodDeIlluminati-yAHvYCJqDdB0juqs

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Is watching movies bad for you? Some rando asks the hard questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6nx4s0xYm4

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

B33rChiller posted:

Threatening your drunk racist uncle with an online mob at thanksgiving ftw.

Gramma better shut her trap, before I doxx her rear end.

i clink my wine glass with my fork and everyones attention turns to me. 'thank you all for coming to this thanksgiving, now i wanna give a toast to our sponsor, raid shadow legends'

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Fil5000 posted:

Regardless of how wholesome and well intentioned it is, it's still exposing a kid to the shithole that is the internet before they have the ability to understand what they're getting into.

This is largely where I'm at on it-- I can say "it's cute to have your kid show up like it's bring your kid to work day" but it's also the internet, and we've already got at least one example of this from the really early content creators aging up, specifically Rooster Teeth and Geoff's kid, Millie, who wasn't "involved" in the actual content creation for the most part but was still mentioned/brought up/existed enough within it to have at least a couple instances of death threats/creepy people over the years because of either "people creeping on minors on the internet" or "people pissed off at her dad for various reasons", or both

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

someone got death threats? on the internet!? they can't do that.

Heroine88
Dec 29, 2021

The 7th Guest posted:

they also have a dedicated thread for karl jobst

This is super funny lol personally I'm still confused about how Karl is as big as he is with all the stuff floating out there about him.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

was wondering what ilymation's been up to, apparently she got doxxed and harassed by people for being fat and there's some channel that's obsessed with her. there's a noah samsen video on the topic

gonna link some other videos though bc there's been a few showing up in my feed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXS4ell-wkk

new jacob geller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGH8_5D71uI

izzzyzzz talking about The Sims again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFpISF3X5ls

chad chad enjoying some quality omegaverse content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S7GU9lDpq8

drew gooden lamenting the Modern Car and also some Cybertruck dunks

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Is watching movies bad for you? Some rando asks the hard questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6nx4s0xYm4

Haven't watched it yet but the only youtube comment, liked by the OP, annoyed me

quote:

Watching too many movies is consuming your time and keeps you from doing anything productive. Same can be said of reading too many books, I know people are going to diss me for saying the latter part.
Also too much screen time hurts your eyes. Pretty self evident.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean overindulging in anything can be harmful but im unsure what 'productive' means in this context

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Endorph posted:

i mean overindulging in anything can be harmful but im unsure what 'productive' means in this context

Mining bitcoin I assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also tweeting about bitcoin