Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Bischoff says he hired Blackjack Mulligan when was down and out and Mulligan ended up super loyal to him and knocked out Ole Anderson for talking poo poo about Bisch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzTV4f6hN2Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Helicity posted:

When I watched WCW and WWF in my teens (Attitude Era) I seem to remember a ton of jobbers with super generic names that I had never heard of and never saw again. Was that just selective memory? What was the state of jobbing back then compared to now, and when/why did things change?

And just two days after this we get two pure nobodies squashed in a single show. :tinfoil:

And that's great, I like those as a breather.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I like the occasional job match because sometimes it's really nice to see a particular wrestler's greatest hits version of their moveset. This is who this guy is and this is what he does, don't you want to see him fight this other guy now?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I find that the WWE style tends to make every match of significant length a Greatest Hits compilation of trademark spots. I miss when job matches could be won with something that wasn't a finisher or a rollup.

Great White Hope posted:

The loss of D-shows (think late-WCW Saturday Night) probably also played a role, as those shows would usually be overflowing with jobbers. There would even be guys so low that they would job TO the jobbers!
Just for shits and giggles, I was looking in an archive of shows to see who was wrestling on the day I was born. Turns out even guys like Iron Mike Sharpe would get to beat local wrestlers at house shows.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 26, 2016

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Steve Blackman pinned Big Show to the floor and booted JBL in the face over backstage disagreements.

:aaa: Steve Blackman is crazy

I remember Batista and Booker having a bit of a fight. Can't remember who won though.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Wasn't it: Blackman took down Bigshow with just his feet while lying on his back and Bradshaw was teasing pushing Blacking on the luggage convyer belt and Blackman responded by roundhouse kicking him in the face.

edit: He also kicked malaria's rear end.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Halloween Jack posted:

Dick Slater ambushed Sting, beat him up, and shoved his head in the toilet, back when he was still Blade Runner Sting.
The version of this story I remember was Sting was already Surfer Sting, and had become a born-again Christian. He confessed to his wife his infidelities, and mentioned those of his fellow workers. His wife allegedly told Slater's wife, and that's what lead to the ambush. I can't recall which shoot interview or even which wrestler mentioned it, so take with a grain of salt.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dario the Wop posted:

The version of this story I remember was Sting was already Surfer Sting, and had become a born-again Christian. He confessed to his wife his infidelities, and mentioned those of his fellow workers. His wife allegedly told Slater's wife, and that's what lead to the ambush. I can't recall which shoot interview or even which wrestler mentioned it, so take with a grain of salt.

Not quite. The incident happened back when they were both in Mid-South. Sting slept with Slater's girlfriend, and supposedly when he caught the beating, took it like a man, then went right back to applying his facepaint.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jenny Angel posted:

What backstage brawl stories am I missing? And are any of those five apocryphal?

While not backstage, the Bob Holly/Rene Dupree incident more or less counts.

Dupree had to go return a rental car that was in Holly's name. Apparently, he got caught speeding by a camera and had no idea. Holly got a ticket and didn't check his mail for forever, so when he found out about it, he had to go through a ton of legal bullshit, including going back to whatever town it happened in and spend a couple days there so he could resolve it in court.

Even though Dupree was incredibly apologetic and offered to repay him, Holly took liberties on him at a house show in a tag match. And not the "stiff chops" sense but more "beating the everliving gently caress out of him" sense. Lots of bruising, a black eye, a hard chair shot to the head, etc. Dupree didn't fight back and tried to escape backstage, but Holly just followed and kept the violence going.

Oh, wait. I guess that does make it a backstage brawl story.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

FunMerrania posted:

Wasn't it: Blackman took down Bigshow with just his feet while lying on his back and Bradshaw was teasing pushing Blacking on the luggage convyer belt and Blackman responded by roundhouse kicking him in the face.

edit: He also kicked malaria's rear end.
Yeah, he took down Big Show with what must have been either some drop toe hold type thing or grapevining his leg.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Minidust posted:

What non-Wrestlemania shows has WWE held at the larger stadium type of venues? Off the top of my head I can only recall SummerSlam '92 in Wembley Stadium and Royal Rumble '97 in Alamo Dome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showdown_at_Shea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Event

http://prowrestling.wikia.com/wiki/WWF_WrestleFest_1988

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Event#EX-perience

http://deletedwikipedia.gawker-labs.com/wiki/WWE_Global_Warning_Melbourne

There was also RAW at Skydome in 1997

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Not quite. The incident happened back when they were both in Mid-South. Sting slept with Slater's girlfriend, and supposedly when he caught the beating, took it like a man, then went right back to applying his facepaint.
Thanks for clarifying. Am I conflating two different stories? I know I heard the Sting/Christianity/wife story, complete with old-timer beating, but I can't find the YT clip at all. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or is this the bong resin in my brain?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Minidust posted:

What non-Wrestlemania shows has WWE held at the larger stadium type of venues? Off the top of my head I can only recall SummerSlam '92 in Wembley Stadium and Royal Rumble '97 in Alamo Dome.

Wasn't that the Rumble where half the entrants were on loan from CMLL and the company was in deep poo poo? Why the hell did they hold it in such a big venue?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wasn't that the Rumble where half the entrants were on loan from CMLL and the company was in deep poo poo? Why the hell did they hold it in such a big venue?

Because Vince thought that Shawn Michaels was a magical golden and could sell 85000 tickets in his hometown basically by existing?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

Because Vince thought that Shawn Michaels was a magical golden and could sell 85000 tickets in his hometown basically by existing?

It was sold out so they were pretty much right on with that.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

bradzilla posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying it was necessarily a bad plan or didn't work, but I think that was the reason they booked the Alamodome.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

bradzilla posted:

With a lot of comped tickets.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gavok posted:

While not backstage, the Bob Holly/Rene Dupree incident more or less counts.

Dupree had to go return a rental car that was in Holly's name. Apparently, he got caught speeding by a camera and had no idea. Holly got a ticket and didn't check his mail for forever, so when he found out about it, he had to go through a ton of legal bullshit, including going back to whatever town it happened in and spend a couple days there so he could resolve it in court.

Even though Dupree was incredibly apologetic and offered to repay him, Holly took liberties on him at a house show in a tag match. And not the "stiff chops" sense but more "beating the everliving gently caress out of him" sense. Lots of bruising, a black eye, a hard chair shot to the head, etc. Dupree didn't fight back and tried to escape backstage, but Holly just followed and kept the violence going.

Oh, wait. I guess that does make it a backstage brawl story.

The story I heard was Dupree was given the option of reimbursing Holly, or take a beating in the ring. Dupree chose the beating.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Can't believe that for a second.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

bradzilla posted:

Sold out with dirt cheap tickets and five gazillion comps :shrug:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I think Holly's story is Dupree denied everything 100% and wouldn't apologize which set him off. Holly also claims he was supposed to be the big heel in the Trump vs McMahon angle

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Not technically backstage, but the Steiners were fond of taking liberties with jobbers in the ring, just because they could and it made them look good to work stiff. They could get away with it because they were legitimately tough, skilled wrestlers, and the guys they were beating up were usually jobbers who probably felt like they had to put up with it. The most notorious example is probably their match with the Nasty Boys. Much later in his career, after WCW, Rick Steiner got his rear end kicked for trying to take liberties with Vordell Walker, an indie guy with legit MMA training.

Hadn't heard of this, so I decided to check it out. Fascinating read.
http://www.mikemooneyham.com/2005/06/19/youngster-stands-up-to-ring-bully/

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

There was a match where Rick spiked Lash on his head two or three times. That was when Lash was cruiserweight champ I think, and Rick was feuding over the US title. Got Rick over as a force of destruction but buried Lash as a jobber.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

HerraS posted:

Sold out with dirt cheap tickets and five gazillion comps :shrug:

It wasn't sold out and despite all the comps they did what was a huge gate for the time so who cares?

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Dario the Wop posted:

Thanks for clarifying. Am I conflating two different stories? I know I heard the Sting/Christianity/wife story, complete with old-timer beating, but I can't find the YT clip at all. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or is this the bong resin in my brain?

Sting confessed to his wife who called up Luger's wife and told her everything and that led to their Gold's Gym partnership dissolving

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
ah, great info! I vaguely remember being aware of that Australia show but had no idea it was held in a supersize venue. And looks like The Big Event is actually on the Network, I'll have to check it out at least just to see the spectacle. Thanks!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mob posted:

Sting confessed to his wife who called up Luger's wife and told her everything and that led to their Gold's Gym partnership dissolving

And people talk about Luger betraying Sting.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I need some easy entertainment. Post a few fun spotfests.

tia

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Kennel posted:

tia

Jeff Hardy v Rob Van Dam, Summerslam 2001

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kennel posted:

tia

Seconding that RVD/Hardy match, adding the Jerry Lynn/RVD ECW matches. I forget which one is which, they're all good. All the TNA Samoa Joe / Christopher Daniels / AJ Styles matches are great. And granted, these all might be slightly too good to be spotfests.

For straight up spotfests, maybe a different flavor, but all those TLC ladder matches, Money in the Bank matches, TNA X-Division "Ultimate X" matches etc from like 2006 or whenever, ROH Ladder Wars with the Briscoes etc. RVD vs Sabu matches, their stretcher match is great. Maybe some Lethal Lockdown matches. Anything with LAX in there.

And just checking, but in case you missed it, Survivor Series 2014's main event, and also Survivor Series 2001's main event. And the Royal Rumble 2015 match with Lesnar/Cena/Rollins, but odds are you must've seen that.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 27, 2016

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
dream matches: did TAKA ever match up with Ultimo or Rey in the WWE?

sometime in like 2013 I wanted Psycho Circus to fight the Shield in a trios match

ROH Cheeseburger vs. AAA el Hamburguesa

Bobby Lashley vs Brock Lesnar in an MMA match (or Lion's Den match)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

No Luck Needed posted:

sometime in like 2013 I wanted Psycho Circus to fight the Shield in a trios match

Why do you hate Bobby Lashley that much.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MassRafTer posted:

We love you Bobby. Do we love Bobby? We love Bobby.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

I say he's a bathturd.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

No Luck Needed posted:

I may be mistaken but I don't believe TAKA was ever in the company at the same time as the other two.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

No Luck Needed posted:

Bobby Lashley vs. Cheeseburger is a dream match years in the making.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dario the Wop posted:

Sting did snitch on some folks. Sting found God, told his wife about his infidelities, and because Sting and Lex were legit quite close, I guess their wives were friends. Well, Mrs. Sting told Mrs. Luger what had been going on, and I guess Lex was doing that stuff too. Maybe they tag teamed a lady or two, who knows. Anyways, it basically killed Lex and Sting's real-life friendship. I'm not sure Sting ever caught an rear end whooping for that one, I don't recall hearing that.

Fake edit: I guess MRT clarified, but this is a more wordy version? Whatevs, now you know the story, basically.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
So how good is Alica Fox? I've only been watching wrestling for the last year and a half, and during that time she's been injured or playing 3rd with the Bellas, so I really have no idea. I've just been thinking how the brand split is going to work with the women's division, and I don't know what her strengths and weakness are besides seeing some nasty landings on her head.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

she could legit kill someone with her scissors kick

she also owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Alicia Fox is cool, pretty good, and once poured a large soda into JBL's hat.