Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Tim Thomas posted:

not to get in the way of the sw2 posting, but i have a confession to make

for as good as doom ][ is, the pistol and chaingun are lovely weapons that don't feel good to use at all

i grew to appreciate the chaingun once i started playing more slaughtery maps that use hoards of zombieman types because it really shines in those kinda of situations, but base doom 2 doesnt lean on those too much it feels like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Chaingun feels fine-- satisfying, even-- when you're using it to mow through former humans or imps, or when you're using it to pin down any of the flying enemies. Obviously don't use it (or, if you're a mapper, don't make your players use it) against heavies.

vv I meant heavy as in heavy enemies generally, not heavy weapon dudes, which I was actually counting under former humans :v:

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 20, 2020

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I find the chain gun is my best friend against heavies in Plutonia. The rear end in a top hat designer loves putting hitscanners far enough above the horizon out of auto-aim for most weapons but like 1-in-4 chain gun shots will magically hit if you jiggle around.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Chaingun feels fine-- satisfying, even-- when you're using it to mow through former humans or imps, or when you're using it to pin down any of the flying enemies. Obviously don't use it (or, if you're a mapper, don't make your players use it) against heavies.

This kinda goes for the shotgun to an extent, too. There's nothing more boring to me in a Doom level than being forced to kill a Baron with the shotgun.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i too find doom 1 gameplay boring

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Shadow Warrior 2013 had some funny lines, but the shooting/combat felt really off and not very satisfying.

Shadow Warrior 2 I haven't finished yet (picked it up again a couple months back, but dropped it again), but the combat I thought was better (though it's been so long since I played SW '13, I can't be sure). Storywise, it feels like there was some sort of interquel that you were supposed to have read/played to have context of what happened between the two games. Part of my issue might be that I spend less time playing the game, and more time using the in-game photography mode to take pictures of the environments.

Honestly, my favorite is still Shadow Warrior '97, if only because I like Build engine level design.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

They didn't make the guns better in SW2, they just made the swords worse. Its a lazy way to make things feel more balanced, but it worked, I guess.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Crowetron posted:

They didn't make the guns better in SW2,

they...did, though? they really, absolutely did. i don't know what backwards-rear end planet someone has to be from to honestly go from the first game where only a couple guns felt okay against the massive damage sponge enemies, and mostly after lots of upgrades, to the sequel where most of the massive arsenal feels actually balanced well and nice to use. all you have to do is slap on whatever the highest bonus gem thing you have onto a gun and it'll immediately perform better than basically anything in shadow warrior 2013.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Johnny Joestar posted:

they...did, though? they really, absolutely did. i don't know what backwards-rear end planet someone has to be from to honestly go from the first game where only a couple guns felt okay against the massive damage sponge enemies, and mostly after lots of upgrades, to the sequel where most of the massive arsenal feels actually balanced well and nice to use. all you have to do is slap on whatever the highest bonus gem thing you have onto a gun and it'll immediately perform better than basically anything in shadow warrior 2013.

Yeah I have no idea what they’re talking about, the gunplay is way better in 2 and the cutting and slicing feels about the same, which is to say it’s still good.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I think I finally figured out my main beef with Doom 3. It's not that it's too dark or slow or boring, it's because the demons aren't cute enough. Such ugly rear end cacodemons.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The shooting SW2 felt pretty much the same as 1 to me :shrug: Sure, you could slot in gems for status effects or damage boosts like Diablo, but blasting monsters a shotgun in one game didn't feel significantly different from doing it in the other game. The dodge and sprint mechanics also felt largely the same, except that you could fall from greater distances safely which was very good.

The melee weapons all felt weaker in 2. The moves are all the same, but the useless RPG mechanics resulted in some number fuckery that made it feel like it took more stabs to drop a goblin than it did before.

Obviously, this can be mitigated by the gems, but that's its own problem.

Nightmare Reaper is an early access game with procgen levels, and its still the only genuinely fun looter shooter out there.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

No

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Doom 3's Pinky is kinda cute, in a naked mole rat sorta way.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

The chaingun is also my go-to for solo Mancubi and Arachnotrons because it kicks them into pain state fairly consistently and lets me save shells/rockets for dicier situations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

SCheeseman posted:

I think I finally figured out my main beef with Doom 3. It's not that it's too dark or slow or boring, it's because the demons aren't cute enough. Such ugly rear end cacodemons.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My biggest issue with Doom 3 is the loving shotgun. In vanilla D3 I modded it just to not have awful spread and it did good damage but can't do the same with BFG edition.

I still have my duct tape mod that changed a few values like the pistol having a slightly faster RoF, less shotgun spread, reloads one shell at a time but has 10 instead of 8 and for RoE the super shotgun only had better spread.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The assault rifle is just too good of a gun in Doom 3 and there’s basically infinite ammo until the plasma rifle shows up then you just use that for the rest of the game.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guillermus posted:

My biggest issue with Doom 3 is the loving shotgun. In vanilla D3 I modded it just to not have awful spread and it did good damage but can't do the same with BFG edition.

I still have my duct tape mod that changed a few values like the pistol having a slightly faster RoF, less shotgun spread, reloads one shell at a time but has 10 instead of 8 and for RoE the super shotgun only had better spread.

Could you share a copy of this please? :)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Convex posted:

Could you share a copy of this please? :)

I have it saved on my external, I'll give it a look when I get home and put it on mediafire or mega.

What I'm sure is that i made a single rar with trent sounds, the better heads mod and my duct tape one, need to check it out.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guillermus posted:

I have it saved on my external, I'll give it a look when I get home and put it on mediafire or mega.

What I'm sure is that i made a single rar with trent sounds, the better heads mod and my duct tape one, need to check it out.

That would be great, thanks!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Last time I played through Doom 3 I had a mod setup that used Trent's sounds, a few of my own custom sounds, a tweak that reduced the spread of the shotgun, and a final mod that changed the shotgun's butt loving ugly retail model to the one from the 2002 alpha version, which is great. If I still had my mod setup I'd post it but it's long gone now. :( I was thinking of playing through Doom 3 again soon so I might recreate it, if I do I'll post it. You can find the alpha shotgun mod on moddb at least, I really can't recommend it enough. The retail model is so ugly...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Looking up Sandy Petersen on Wikipedia and it's honestly amazing how widespread of an influence he is in the world of gaming even beyond his contributions to the Doom and Quake series, among other things being the primary designer of the Call of Cthulhu tabletop RPG over at Chaosium

Of course now bringing up Chaosium makes me think a Doom(or Heretic or Hexen) mod based on RuneQuest could be pretty neat(it's honestly a shame that Glorantha doesn't have more of a presence in the world of video games)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I want Borderlands 2 on Switch.

It's me; I'm the guy who wants that :negative:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm going to top that.

I preordered the physical copy of Ion Fury for PS4 that comes out in May for 20 eurobucks.

I was thinking about how they should release Dusk and Amid Evil on PS4 and then I did that... :negative:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

skasion posted:

The Doom pistol is pretty much just a placeholder for the chain gun. As for the chain gun...it’s not got impressive feel but it does a job.

Meanwhile, the Wolfenstein chaingun is trying to kill you through your speakers.

And you'll let it with a smile on your face.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

al-azad posted:

The assault rifle is just too good of a gun in Doom 3 and there’s basically infinite ammo until the plasma rifle shows up then you just use that for the rest of the game.

Which wouldn't be a problem if it sounded meaty, but the Doom 3 SMG sounds like someone dropping dried beans into a tin can. The shotgun, too, sounds wimpy. The chaingun, plasma gun and especially the rocket launcher all sound great though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Available ammo was increased in the BFG Edition for no obvious reason, in the original you were more constrained more often.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I don't mind the shotgun in Doom 3, except for the sound. But since most of Doom 3 is very close quarters and I tend to get into monster's faces anyway, the spread was never an issue.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Tim Thomas posted:

not to get in the way of the sw2 posting, but i have a confession to make

for as good as doom ][ is, the pistol and chaingun are lovely weapons that don't feel good to use at all

The DOOM pistol is widely regarded as a "Don't do this" learning moment - Can't do everything right the first time around! More modern games have learnt that the starting weapon is allowed to suck, but it can still be fun. RAGE even did a thing where by crafting exotic ammo, the starting pistol was able to keep up with the big guns, if you really really want pistol play over other weapons types.

Doom 3 had all the potential to be a solid fun game (for its time), but there's small fatal screwups everywhere. The first release was too dark, and the BFG edition's ammo deulge ruins everything. They BOTH suffer from loving around with the amour formula, which is fine in Multiplayer mode but in single player it absorbs like 1/4 the dmg so you're always running about with full armour and no hp with armour packs everywhere taunting you. Difficulty modes only increases dmg taken, OF COURSE. I like Doom3's vibe, but playing ruined games to try and see 'what might have been' is not what I'd recommend for others.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I wouldn't call Doom 3 ruined (well, maybe the BFG edition). It's a good game, it's just not as great as the others in the series.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Honestly use a better sound effect for the pistol/chaingun and it improves it dramatically. The popgun sound effect doesn’t do them any favors.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
doom 3 was fine. its fine.

fine. fine out of 10.

its fine.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

haveblue posted:

Available ammo was increased in the BFG Edition for no obvious reason, in the original you were more constrained more often.

I played the original and ammo still isn’t an issue except the minigun. Apparently I had a mod installed for the super shotgun and I was still strapped.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

david_a posted:

Honestly use a better sound effect for the pistol/chaingun and it improves it dramatically. The popgun sound effect doesn’t do them any favors.
The engine contains code suggesting that they had considered separate DSPISTOL and DSCHGUN sound effects but ended up making DSCHGUN a pointer to DSPISTOL (booo). Doom 4 Vanilla is one vanilla mod I recall that used Dehacked to override this and it certainly makes the chaingun more fun to use.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dead Space, the ‘real’ Doom 3, had the opposite problem where the starter gun is just too drat good. And for whatever reason Opposing Force gives you a false sense of power by starting you off with a deagle.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 20, 2020

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Doom 3's difficulty levels do increase/decrease enemy spawns. They're just so minor most people won't notice.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

al-azad posted:

Dead Space, the ‘tea’ Doom 3, had the opposite problem where the starter gun is just too drat good. And for whatever reason Opposing Force gives you a false sense of power by starting you off with a deagle.

Probably for much the same reason Shadow Warrior 2013 makes the Katana so strong, they had a dismemberment system that they wanted to show off right from the beginning

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

If the Doom pistol had either infinite ammo or more stopping power, that'd go a long way to improve it.

Plus better sound.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Convex posted:

That would be great, thanks!

https://mega.nz/#!2h5yFA4D!gqr8RVy5cnGs5BtkCo-TVrCphbmtyj3jFm78z5NScs4 (my ductape and weapon mod)

Here's the link for my mod. I quick looked it and seems that I tuned the weapons a bit more than I remember because after the first playthrough with just a ductape mod, I wanted to play on the hardest difficulty with weapons more "in line" with older id tittles so you may find that the chaingun has 99 bullets now and the pistol shoots faster and has a 20 round mag... :q:

It's actually pretty easy to change that stuff, my advice is that you take the pak666.pk4 and extract the content in a folder, then compare with the same exact files from your doom 3 and tune up/down weapon values at your will. It's far simpler than you may think but definately try it, if you don't like something just change values and remember that you need to restart the actual level you are in after changing something.

My selection of mods packed into one:
https://mega.nz/#!6hpQQYwZ!LiVPDVoUPqfTkfJtJ4U27lPkbHUz5ahhwG8NGW0m2WY

This includes the following files:
code:
pak666.pk4 my ductape/weapon value mod
pak667.pk4 Trent Reznor sounds (a must have in my opinion)
pak668.pk4 improved head models, a mod I found years ago that makes heads and fists rounder as they should be.
pakabc.pk4 a PDA entry that gives you the code of all cabinets so you don't have to hear the loving audio for the 21932845732948273 time
pak_Parallax.pk4 a small mod to add some parallax mapping effect to add some depth to textures, small but cool to have

This may look weird on the imp but trust me, NPC heads look way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Does Doom 3 have hit stun/pain chance of any kind?

Honestly how many shooters period have some form of it?

I will never stop harping on about how that mechanic alone does so much for Doom's combat.