Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
After thousands of pages of this, I'm finding it somewhat tricky to imagine that even the butter golem believes what he says anymore.

Or that 'core tech' refers to 'core tech for making a game' rather than 'core tech for making my movie' or let's be honest and go with 'core tech for getting more pre-orders sales donations pledges'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

duck monster posted:

I actually kind of wish Ubisoft took a bit more time with it. Its clear they know how to barf out relatively high quality products fast, but if they actually sat down for a few years to make the mother of all assasins creed games, it'd probably be a loving masterpiece.

Well, a masterpiece with lovely uplay drm shackled to it.
Ubi are actually not releasing an AC game this year, so as to take a little bit of time to re-examine evolve the game mechanics. And so Watch Dogs 2 doesn't look quite as bad when it comes out this year, but they can't just put that in a press release. :v:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

everyone seems heaps happy to say that <insert hot topic> isnt the current priority but nobody from cig is providing any good information on what the current priorities actually are

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I swear to god if you do this with me watching there will be blood.
You dont start with the eggs.
Never ever start with the eggs.

First is the flour.
Then its the eggs.
Then the crumbs.

You can vary if you go for parisienne and skip the crumbs, or milanese and take parmesan instead of crumbs (or a 50/50 parmesan/crumb mix) but whatever you do, you start with flour.

Thats what the Sacher cookbook says, too, it also says not to press the breadcrumbs into the meat. But I tend to stick with what works for me.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

alf_pogs posted:

everyone seems heaps happy to say that <insert hot topic> isnt the current priority but nobody from cig is providing any good information on what the current priorities actually are
Updating their resumes and folios, I'd gather.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Have they pushed back the release date to 2017 yet?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

Pushing SQ42 out the door next year is the priority.

Source: developer ghost

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

Microwaves Mom posted:

Have they pushed back the release date to 2017 yet?

I think they decided that continually revising release dates was too much :effort: so now the Citizens just make them up themselves and argue over them.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

alf_pogs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zK8TKfHAt0

go to 18:30 for the answers, or lack of.

Lesnic guy saying losing sales is a good thing...just what?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

dogboy posted:

Thats what the Sacher cookbook says, too, it also says not to press the breadcrumbs into the meat. But I tend to stick with what works for me.

Trust me on the subject of Schnitzel, its flour-eggs-crumbs.
Also worth to note is that the "breadcrumbs" should not come from dark bread, but rather from rolls.
The word "Semmelbrösel" illustrates that.

Another pro tip is to use Butterschmalz (i am not fluid in english cooking terminology, dictionary returns "clarified butter") instead of plain butter.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

fuzzknot posted:

BOOTCHA BOOTCHA BOOTCHA BOOTCHA BOOTCHA BOOTCHA BOOTCHA BOOTCHA BOOTCHA BOOTCHA BOOTCHA

fuzzknot posted:

Seriously, though; gently caress her. I'll loving kill her if she comes after Bootcha.

:fuzzknot: :fuzzknot: :fuzzknot: :fuzzknot: :fuzzknot: :fuzzknot: :fuzzknot: :fuzzknot:

Jesus Christ you're a nutcase. I fear for Bootcha if you guys ever split up

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
lol at all the sandi came home to shops

Krakenwagen
Oct 31, 2015

Lime Tonics posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zK8TKfHAt0

go to 18:30 for the answers, or lack of.

Lesnic guy saying losing sales is a good thing...just what?

For the love of Stimperor, this guy just summarised what is wrong with SC, they have no idea how to develop software. He should be condemned to eternisation of writing and debugging bad code. Like SC.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Thirsty Dog posted:

Jesus Christ you're a nutcase. I fear for Bootcha if you guys ever split up

Im really not seeing it? :shrug: My gf is pretty protective too.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Dear professor Derek Smart MD, I'm looking at the LOD asset DB and I can't find where I buy the drink machine for my APC. I'm sure it's there since this is an AAA game, but I note that it's still in alpha so maybe it's just not available for pre-purchase? I want the chrome-texture model if that makes a difference.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

LowellDND posted:

Im really not seeing it? :shrug: My gf is pretty protective too.

Does your girlfriend make hundreds of posts about ~HER BOYFRIEND~ while foaming at the mouth?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, I do

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

You know, at a properly run developer studio, you'd relegate the workload efficiently do that you could work on several aspects of the game at the same time. I mean Jesus H Croberts, it's a goddamn TUTORIAL. And it's not like there's one guy making all the work here. You got a team of....what is it now? A hundred people all in all?

My best friend works at EA DICE. I feel I have to get her wrapped in on this mess and see what she has to say.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Behind the scenes scandal uncovered by reporter

CROBERTS CRANKS HIS CRONARDS IN SHAKIRA SHAG SHOCK!

Careful if At work:
http://i.imgur.com/2hGRkPH.gif

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 17, 2016

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Behind the scenes scandal uncovered by reporter

CROBERTS CRANKS HIS CRONARDS IN SHAKIRA SHAG SHOCK!

I feel he likes to be seen as the next Kubrick and not Spielberg, as with any person I don't like, I imagine that he has a problem with Jews.

Excellent work btw.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

this is what makes me think that "fly free" week was a sales tool to help whales drag their friends into the scam ahead of the SQ42/PU split (another marketing tool since neither is anywhere near complete). They knew it wasn't ready for the public and that the tutorial - literally the first thing any new player is going to look at after the weird installers title screen - was laughably broken and they still just shoved it out there with a huge poo poo-eating grin plastered across their faces.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Gilganixon posted:

this is what makes me think that "fly free" week was a sales tool to help whales drag their friends into the scam ahead of the SQ42/PU split (another marketing tool since neither is anywhere near complete). They knew it wasn't ready for the public and that the tutorial - literally the first thing any new player is going to look at after the weird installers title screen - was laughably broken and they still just shoved it out there with a huge poo poo-eating grin plastered across their faces.

They should've disabled the tutorial button in the menu, but that would have needed a 30gb patch.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Nah, the button would only take 26gb.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Gilganixon posted:

:pgabz: - please make a video about the online tutorial, so that you can help new players navigate through the monoverse.

e: "See, FPS is still in the game. We are getting a Frame Per Second. Look!"

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Gilganixon posted:

You mean it prepares them for the game? Yeah, that's totally not what a tutorial is for :smug:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

BigglesSWE posted:

I feel he likes to be seen as the next Kubrick and not Spielberg, as with any person I don't like, I imagine that he has a problem with Jews.

Excellent work btw.

It's only after I make these things that I think of something better, I should have put "Now call me stimperor".
And yeah Kubrick would have been better.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Call me Stimpmael.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:roflolmao: Who the gently caress reads this and doesn't see a forest of red flags

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
If priorities shift hourly you don't have any priorities you stupid hacks

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

:roflolmao: Who the gently caress reads this and doesn't see a forest of red flags

Q: What are the priorities of CIG?
A: :shrug:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Holy poo poo WHY.

Why are the priorities constantly shifting? They're making a video game with no specific deadline. How the gently caress can the priorities change? One piece of functionality that they're not going to be releasing in a functional state for 12 months suddenly becomes much more important than another piece of functionality that's also not going to be released for 12 months - and this is happening daily or even hourly?

I knew Chris Roberts was incompetently interfering in all of the development and loving with everyone's priorities, but one man wouldn't be capable of creating such chaos. There must be some anti-management strategy going on to produce such a mess.

Can you imagine working on a job where you're told to drop everything and work on something different every day or even every hour? What sort of schizophrenic management structure would you need to have in order for that to happen?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Full transcript:

Star Citizen: Development is always a moving target

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
I foresee great things in the comments on this youtube video

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Full transcript:

Star Citizen: Development is always a moving target

I had to read the bolded section three times to make sure my brain was functioning properly. I think it speaks for itself.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

fuctifino posted:

Hello Sandi!

me too sandi, me too

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Chalks posted:

Holy poo poo WHY.

Why are the priorities constantly shifting? They're making a video game with no specific deadline. How the gently caress can the priorities change? One piece of functionality that they're not going to be releasing in a functional state for 12 months suddenly becomes much more important than another piece of functionality that's also not going to be released for 12 months - and this is happening daily or even hourly?

I knew Chris Roberts was incompetently interfering in all of the development and loving with everyone's priorities, but one man wouldn't be capable of creating such chaos. There must be some anti-management strategy going on to produce such a mess.

Can you imagine working on a job where you're told to drop everything and work on something different every day or even every hour? What sort of schizophrenic management structure would you need to have in order for that to happen?

One man can create that kind of chaos, and I've struggled in those exact environments in the past. I had a CEO who considered himself something of a visionary. Surrounded himself with magazines catered to that self-identity, and read them every day, along with internet articles about visionary leaders. Every time he read about something another company was doing, the entire direction of his company changed. This direction change usually occurred about once or twice a month. He would have separate meetings with all the departments and give them new marching orders, oftentimes incompatible with each other. He'd forget what he'd asked for, or he'd fail to flesh it out, so once work was almost ready for release, he'd come out of nowhere and tell everyone that's not what he wanted, and to redo it. Goals and priorities changed constantly, based on the latest thing he read about or watched. We had a very solid team, and the only reason the company stayed in one piece is because everyone else was great at their jobs. They learned his patterns, and started coding open-ended solutions that could morph with his ever-changing last-minute overrides. Right before release, we'd pin him down and tell him this was his last chance to make a change, because this was going to production next cut.

The size of Chris's team works against this approach, as well as it being spread out across several countries, and the fact that there is no design document for the game to begin with. But never underestimate the damage one person can do, even if everyone else on the team is top notch. If the CEO won't empower and trust their management, that is the same as having no management at all.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

redwalrus posted:

me too sandi, me too

you stole my post!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

I foresee great things in the comments on this youtube video

:downs: duurr bigger integers so biiiigger space!! :downs:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

People suffering from a sunk cost fallacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Scruffpuff posted:

I had to read the bolded section three times to make sure my brain was functioning properly. I think it speaks for itself.

I unconsciously selected the text while reading it, actually

Probably because my brain protested, too

• Locked thread