Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I was an awkward attempt to humanize both sides, but he didn't really do a good job making a point so the whole thing was pretty weird. I think its mostly a non-story than anything else though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Silver did apologize almost immediately when people pointed out that sharing that story was in poor taste.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

MourningView posted:

Every version of Whitlock ever has sucked

Definitely not the version that went on KC radio after getting fired from the Star and burned every bridge in the world.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

MourningView posted:

Every version of Whitlock ever has sucked

Not the version that annihilates crappy "journalists" like Charles Robinson and has his barber on his podcast to talk poo poo about Tebow for an hour. His podcast at Fox News was on fire. Easily my favorite sports podcast. At ESPN he does like one a month, and while it is still good, it is not the same. He will never have a groupie on to talk about getting paid by athletes again. Too bad, Whitlock ruled.

The first time he insulted a journalist at ESPN (the bullshit Oklahoma State hit piece) he had to apologize and has never tweeted anything controversial since :(

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Nice companion piece to Craig Calcaterra's "Baseball isn't dying you idiots" piece on Grantland today.
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-dead-ball-century-mlb-baseball-playoffs-john-thorn-mlb-historian-baseball-decline-articles/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Interesting piece on Yahoo about Ron MacClean calling out Rogers and the NHL about their relationship

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Nice companion piece to Craig Calcaterra's "Baseball isn't dying you idiots" piece on Grantland today.
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-dead-ball-century-mlb-baseball-playoffs-john-thorn-mlb-historian-baseball-decline-articles/

I really hate baseball but that's a great article.

Deadspin put out a very mature job offer for Simmons

http://deadspin.com/hey-bill-simmon...dium=socialflow

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Its Miller Time posted:

this is great

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Its Miller Time posted:

Great pitch to Simmons, but:

quote:

A system of checks and balances in place to ensure one of the pieces on your vertical doesn't result in a suicide!
:drat:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

howe_sam posted:

aaahahahaha I missed that

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

howe_sam posted:

What's that referencing?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

What's that referencing?

The transgender person a writer for Grantland outed. Simmons later had a write-up and apologized for the screwup and outlined steps they were taking to stop it from happening again.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kibner posted:

Simmons later had a write-up and apologized for the screwup and outlined steps they were taking to stop it from happening again.
That was the apology where Simmons spent like 80% of the text feeling bad for the writer of the piece, and not the person the writer drove to suicide or the family and friends of the deceased, right?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
No one knows for sure why that person committed suicide and it's really lovely to lay blame at other people for 'driving them to kill themselves'.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

howe_sam posted:

On the one hand, yes it is. But on the other hand, it's Drew Magary so I had to physically force myself to read it.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

davecrazy posted:

No one knows for sure why that person committed suicide and it's really lovely to lay blame at other people for 'driving them to kill themselves'.

It's also really lovely to out transgendered people after numerous appeals not to do so, especially as evidence that a person is being deceitful in order to break a 'gotcha!' style click bait piece, and that writer should feel extremely bad about what they did regardless.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

There were multiple level of fuckedupedness about the Dr. V story. In the balance I think it was probably fair game for the writer to out her bogus credentials to the investors, but not he react that Dr. V was trans. And whoever edited the final piece sure as hell should've cut the line about "I felt a jolt" or whatever it was the writer said when he found out Dr. V was trans.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

howe_sam posted:

There were multiple level of fuckedupedness about the Dr. V story. In the balance I think it was probably fair game for the writer to out her bogus credentials to the investors, but not he react that Dr. V was trans. And whoever edited the final piece sure as hell should've cut the line about "I felt a jolt" or whatever it was the writer said when he found out Dr. V was trans.

The line was literally "A chill actually ran up my spine." It was a baaaaaad article.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Someone apparently tried to peddle info on Gurley's autographs to SBNation and they turned him down. The article is maybe a touch self-righteous but I respect the editorial decision.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
It's Wednesday, October 15th, which means that Simmons' suspension is over. It'll be interesting to see if anything comes of it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MechaFrogzilla posted:

It's Wednesday, October 15th, which means that Simmons' suspension is over. It'll be interesting to see if anything comes of it.

less Instagram pics of him golfing and getting pedicures

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

howe_sam posted:

The only amusing thing about the situation is that it proved the old maxim of people only reading the beginning of articles: so many journalists linked to that piece on Twitter, telling people to go read it for how great it is, until people actually read the thing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I chalk that up more to a lack of sensitivity towards trans issues. The story itself was fairly well-written in a New Journalism sort of way.

Personally, I just wanted to know if the loving putter worked or not.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
NYT has a piece up on Simmons: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/15/sports/bill-simmonss-return-sets-intrigue-in-motion-at-espn.html

NYT posted:

Simmons declined to comment. Since his suspension, he has surfaced only in snapshots on his Instagram account — Simmons at the beach, Simmons on the golf course — seemingly designed to let ESPN know that he’s enjoying his time off. But people close to Simmons say he is furious and has been talking a lot about whether ESPN is still the right place for him. He has threatened to leave ESPN before, but this is the most pitched moment yet in their fraught relationship.

"I dared them to suspend me, and they went and suspended me! I've never felt so betrayed and angry!"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

The only amusing thing about the situation is that it proved the old maxim of people only reading the beginning of articles: so many journalists linked to that piece on Twitter, telling people to go read it for how great it is, until people actually read the thing.

I think it's just as likely they read it and didn't really grasp the problems until others started pointing them out. That's how it got published in the first place.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/

NBC getting into the longform game with their new SportsWorld site. It appears to be mostly built around Posnanski, as you would expect. Hopefully for them he doesn't bail on this one after a few weeks.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

FMguru posted:

NYT has a piece up on Simmons: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/15/sports/bill-simmonss-return-sets-intrigue-in-motion-at-espn.html

"I dared them to suspend me, and they went and suspended me! I've never felt so betrayed and angry!"

I dunno. I see it more as: "I tested a boundary I thought I should be safe crossing (though my dare made it evident I thought something would happen) and they came down very hard in an out-or-proportion way. I don't think I am the right fit for ESPN any longer." Which is probably true.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lockback posted:

I dunno. I see it more as: "I tested a boundary I thought I should be safe crossing (though my dare made it evident I thought something would happen) and they came down very hard in an out-or-proportion way. I don't think I am the right fit for ESPN any longer." Which is probably true.
If you call out your bosses and dare they to do something about it, you really shouldn't be surprised or angry (much less furious) when they decide to do something about it.

I still think it's all just part of the chessboard that is his contract renegotiation (or his pitch for his next gig).

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
What the christ :wtc:??? Why not just inject the fat directly into your rear end?

e: wrong thread

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

MourningView posted:

NBC getting into the longform game with their new SportsWorld site. It appears to be mostly built around Posnanski, as you would expect. Hopefully for them he doesn't bail on this one after a few weeks.

Both nbcsports and that just look terrible. At least at sportsworld when you're in an article it looks alright but there is way too much whitespace on the frontpage. And the NBCsports site is just a cluttered mess. Finding the videos you want of say, a highlight package from the latest EPL match is confusing and stupid.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

This venture obviously has nothing to do with Simmons directly, but it kind of goes to show his value.

He really championed the 30 for 30 thing and now most of these other channels are going the doc route, albeit less frequently, but it's happening. Then Grantland came about and everyone started to push longform sites.

He's keeping his company on the leader side of things rather than on the follower side.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Hopefully he can lead ESPN back into showing sports highlights and less arguments on Sportscenter. Its starting to go the MTV route

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

Hopefully he can lead ESPN back into showing sports highlights and less arguments on Sportscenter. Its starting to go the MTV route

I've got fond memories, but it lost 90% of its usefulness once streaming video stopped being a chore.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

But if Sportscenter stopped being a thing, what would idiots put on signs to hold up at games?

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
I think this Blake Griffin piece on Jeter's site is pretty cool. I know people are making fun of it for basically just being a blog platform with editors but I think the two pieces so far feel relatively unique, especially as being from active players.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
The next insightful comment The Players' Tribune posts will be the first.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Deadspin ran a story the other day accusing a Colorado Senate candidate of lying about playing football in high school. Well they apparently really loving stepped in it trying to start a campaign controversy because the Cory Gardner campaign produced pictures of him in uniform and a statistician/historian at the school said Gardner played football from middle school through his junior year of high school. The source Deadspin used for their original story said that his quotes were pretty much completely misinterpreted.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

The next insightful comment The Players' Tribune posts will be the first.

so you're saying you have a lot in common with them

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Crazy Ted posted:

Deadspin ran a story the other day accusing a Colorado Senate candidate of lying about playing football in high school. Well they apparently really loving stepped in it trying to start a campaign controversy because the Cory Gardner campaign produced pictures of him in uniform and a statistician/historian at the school said Gardner played football from middle school through his junior year of high school. The source Deadspin used for their original story said that his quotes were pretty much completely misinterpreted.
The author of the story was the otherwise-beloved Dave McKenna, mostly known for his tireless efforts at documenting Dan Snyder's shittiness (and Dan Snyder's enthusiasm for suing people daring to document his shittiness).

Ooooooops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tommy Craggs of Deadspin has issued a pretty good mea culpa about the Corey Gardner story