Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

EvilTwig posted:

I ended up doing something stupid - volunteering to take care of getting jerseys for a last minute 3 on 3 team that starts its season this week. Don't ever do this, as you can please none of the people none of the time. After much back and forth, I ordered the cheap 18.00 per jersey option from hockey tron, and if we are lucky they will be here before our 3rd game.

At least you found the only place with minimums low enough to deal with 3v3 and 4v4 teams

Also Pleads a bunch of people here have Tron jerseys. They are fine if they are the only option. The socks are terrible though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Yeah, my old team had the basic Tron one-color practice jerseys and they were fine, not really any different from CCM practice jerseys.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

Pleads posted:

Please post some pics when you get them since we are looking in to those (or a similar option) for our pond hockey tournament in January!

Here is a Tron jersey that our development league handed out. One color print front and back, basic jersey, same as the 18.00 option. The jersey itself is exactly the same cut and material as the low end CCM branded one that everyone sells, and the screen print is nice and heavy -its held up to multiple washings. The black doesn't show up great on the red background, the white is much better (you can see it on the TRON logo on the rear hem)

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

That's not bad. Only $28 too for number, name, and logo on their DJ200 jersey. I've been spending the last 2 weeks to find a vendor to make my team's jersey. Hockey Giant never replied, Logo Sports Wear is too expensive, and the dude from Hockey Monkey refuses to reply to more than 1 question per email and 1 email per day. It took two days just to wrangle the jersey type available in the color I wanted. I still have no clue how much it would cost with all the printing either. \

It's been so drat ridiculous. I thought putting the logo together was going to be the biggest pain in the rear end, but just printing this is such a bitch. I'll speak with two of the sports shops nearby, but if they're pricing or jersey style is subpar, then I'll probably go with Hockey Tron too.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Loqieu posted:

That's not bad. Only $28 too for number, name, and logo on their DJ200 jersey. I've been spending the last 2 weeks to find a vendor to make my team's jersey. Hockey Giant never replied, Logo Sports Wear is too expensive, and the dude from Hockey Monkey refuses to reply to more than 1 question per email and 1 email per day. It took two days just to wrangle the jersey type available in the color I wanted. I still have no clue how much it would cost with all the printing either. \

It's been so drat ridiculous. I thought putting the logo together was going to be the biggest pain in the rear end, but just printing this is such a bitch. I'll speak with two of the sports shops nearby, but if they're pricing or jersey style is subpar, then I'll probably go with Hockey Tron too.

Try K1. They made the jerseys for my team and I've been very happy with them. We ordered ours through pro shop and they came out to $40* each when we ordered at least 12 of them. They have a two color screen printed logo and screen printed numbers and they have held up very well through 2 full seasons. Ordering individual jerseys can be pricey, but that's just because the cost of setting up the screen printing gets lower with volume. I do find that their jerseys run slightly tighter than a standard CCM, so if any players are on the fence about their size, then it is wise to round up to the next size.

*You should be able to get the pricing lower if you order directly through them and they should be able to give you a good idea of the lead time once you contact them.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Got to wear the spiffy orange armbands for the first time today (the adult games are all 2 man system where we're both refs and nobody wears the bands). Holy crap that is a lot of skating.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Does anybody know of a way to remove logos/numbers from jerseys?

I inherited the jerseys from the team I last played on (that has since disbanded) and they're taking up space in my tiny apartment. I'd like to sell them or give them away but they have my company's logo on them, and I'm not really cool with giving them to strangers like that.

Any ideas?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Sexy Randal posted:

Does anybody know of a way to remove logos/numbers from jerseys?

I inherited the jerseys from the team I last played on (that has since disbanded) and they're taking up space in my tiny apartment. I'd like to sell them or give them away but they have my company's logo on them, and I'm not really cool with giving them to strangers like that.

Any ideas?

How is the logo applied to your jeresys? Stitched, screen printed, or heat pressed?

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

Aniki posted:

How is the logo applied to your jeresys? Stitched, screen printed, or heat pressed?

It's definitely not stitched. I'm not sure if it's screen pressed or heat pressed though. The company name is on there the same way the numbers are on the back. I know at least two or three of them have worn off a little from someone throwing them in the dryer or something, so theoretically there is a way to remove them.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Sexy Randal posted:

It's definitely not stitched. I'm not sure if it's screen pressed or heat pressed though. The company name is on there the same way the numbers are on the back. I know at least two or three of them have worn off a little from someone throwing them in the dryer or something, so theoretically there is a way to remove them.

If the numbers/logo are shiny or if the jerseys were cheap, then they are likely heat pressed. Post some pictures of the numbers and we can tell you. Are any of the numbers on the jerseys peeling off? That would be another sign that they are heat pressed.

Edit: Worn off sounds like screen printing. That is going to be a lot harder to get off.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Hopefully these are clear enough:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Today we played the champs from the division below us who moved up to ours for this season. During warmups I thought we were going to get killed. They were all pretty handy with the puck and they all could shoot, plus they'd nabbed an awesome goalie while we were back to our 59 year old trainwreck. Also we only had 4 guys to start with because our GM told people the wrong rink.

What I failed to notice was that a bunch of their guys were seriously overweight. What we found out later on is that they were all really, really out of shape. The first two minutes we didn't get it out of our zone and they scored twice, the rest of the game was played mostly in their end, we won 9-2. Their defensemen were so finished by the third period that no directional changes or stickhandling was required to blow by them. I think one of them was probably 300+...and he was pretty good (you could tell that he'd played competitively about 120 pounds ago). It was pretty funny to watch.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Topoisomerase posted:

Got to wear the spiffy orange armbands for the first time today (the adult games are all 2 man system where we're both refs and nobody wears the bands). Holy crap that is a lot of skating.

That's crazy that you went line -> 2 man -> ref ... what level did you ref?

They pretty much threw me into peewee ref my first year into level 2.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Sexy Randal posted:

Hopefully these are clear enough:

What I would try (but at least wait a bit for someone to object, unless it's a horrid idea) is as follows:

* Apply heat via hairdryer
* Once warm, you should be able to lift off pieces (maybe in pieces, maybe in chunks?) with a razor blade

At least that's how I always heard was the best way to remove screen prints. I can vouch for how badly dryers gently caress screen printing (which is why none of my screen printed jerseys go in the dryer). So it makes sense to me that this method should work if you do it carefully.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm terrified of the fatties I skate with, they can put a ton of weight into their slapshot and even if they can't move, if they get ahold of the puck it's gonna be a bruiser.

Not to mention the fear of having 300 pounds of lard coming straight at you and being unable to stop.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Keep your head up and you won't have a problem!

We won our elimination game today to even the series 1-1. We lost the previous game on a shootout, which is the lamest solution to a tied finals game when there was 4 hours of ice not booked before the game.

I did get drilled in the foot on a solid slapshot. The edge of the puck left an impression in the outer shell of skates. I saw it and lifted my foot what I thought was out of the way but put it right into the boot. Should bruise up nicely but am gonna skate on it on Tuesday.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

That's crazy that you went line -> 2 man -> ref ... what level did you ref?

They pretty much threw me into peewee ref my first year into level 2.

Yeah, this is my first year at USAH level 2 - I can't generally do as many games as most others though because of my school schedule so I'm only at like 40 games worked.

This one was just a Squirt game, but I had to call a 2+10 for head contact on one of the little shits. Had to line for Peewee and Bantam games this morning too. I've done a lot of 2 man (even a handful of Bantam games) mostly because it's what all the adult leagues around here use and they like to throw me into that particular fire! In fact last weekend I was on two Gold level adult games. That is a split between really good dudes just having fun and a very few who take it WAAAY too seriously and we had to break up a fight in one game. :confused:

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 24, 2012

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Do any of you guys have experience using the USA Hockey insurance? I got run during a league game on Saturday and sprained my MCL. I do have health insurance, but they only cover part of things like MRIs and Orthopedist visits, so I'm curious how much of the remainder I can expect USA Hockey to cover? I'll call them after I see my Orthopedist, but I'm just curious what I should expect USA Hockey to cover and if there is anything that I need to know about dealing with them?

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

Aniki posted:

Do any of you guys have experience using the USA Hockey insurance? I got run during a league game on Saturday and sprained my MCL. I do have health insurance, but they only cover part of things like MRIs and Orthopedist visits, so I'm curious how much of the remainder I can expect USA Hockey to cover? I'll call them after I see my Orthopedist, but I'm just curious what I should expect USA Hockey to cover and if there is anything that I need to know about dealing with them?

In my experience they are covering all but the first $1,000 of my deductible...and they also take a very, very long time to process, so account for that (and file your claim asap even if you don't have any bills yet).

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

robcat posted:

In my experience they are covering all but the first $1,000 of my deductible...and they also take a very, very long time to process, so account for that (and file your claim asap even if you don't have any bills yet).

Well, I figure anything I can do to reduce the cost of my injuries even if it takes forever is good. I may go ahead and file a claim for when I injured my other MCL in a game back in March too, but who knows if they'll still cover that, since even after co-pays I ended up paying about $800-900 for things like MRIs, X-rays, Orthopedist visits, and physical therapy, so anything I can do to reduce that cost would be nice. It's awesome to miss hockey and spend that much money since some guy was a dildo and skated faster than he could control on a breakaway.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Aniki posted:

Well, I figure anything I can do to reduce the cost of my injuries even if it takes forever is good. I may go ahead and file a claim for when I injured my other MCL in a game back in March too, but who knows if they'll still cover that, since even after co-pays I ended up paying about $800-900 for things like MRIs, X-rays, Orthopedist visits, and physical therapy, so anything I can do to reduce that cost would be nice. It's awesome to miss hockey and spend that much money since some guy was a dildo and skated faster than he could control on a breakaway.

The second worst part of injuries is that you've already paid all those dues for the season and it just feels like you've wasted a bunch of money. :smith:

The worst part is you're not on the ice, of course.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Trilljester was yelling in the regular thread to go play hockey and i'm like Pshhh yeah right how the gently caress am I going to play hockey in a desert and then I looked around and it turns out there's a super amateur league where they do weekend clinics for their E division (super newbies) and they've already contacted me and it's all moving so fast ahhh! I finally got a lovely office job to support myself so I think I can afford hockey and there's a way for me to play it. I'll read the OP more thoroughly and start trying to find equipment.

Quick question right off the top of my head which pieces should really be bought new and which ones are ok (if not everything) to go used?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I got everything except my cup used when I was starting out. It's just a question of if you can make sure it fits correctly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Helmet, skates and jock should be bought new.

You'd probably be "fine" with a used helmet, but their protective qualities do degrade over time so it's really a question of how much risk you want to take. My personal opinion is to not gently caress around with head injuries, but lots of other dudes see things different.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

Keep your head up and you won't have a problem!

I think I'm a rare exception to the rule. Maybe me and Dustin Byfuglien .

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
New blood. Excellent. :unsmith:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Agree on skates, helmet, and cup. You'll get a ton of mileage out of all three if you keep the sport up, and the safety/comfort benefits are really worth it in my opinion. Everything else, go wild.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Again, I saved over 700 dollars on buying my skates used and my local pro shop has a ton of skates in stock that are used with plenty of life that can be had much cheaper than retail.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Nothing better than having an 11:15 game get delayed for 15 minutes because the idiotic Zamboni driver came out and ran over a puck, or something, and broke the machine.

Also makes for some really goddamned interesting passes along the boards.

Just loving thankful we won which means we get to go to the championship game again, need to redeem ourselves after losing last seasons title game by a goal.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?
First game of the season tonight, we lost 14-12 but overall played not too bad. I had a weird issue with my skates though, I couldnt physically lean on my left outside edge. I am right-handed so I don't know if it is just lack of confidence having not skated for 4 months or if I may have messed up my skate somehow any suggestions would be great. Hockey with old men is always the best hockey.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

SaucyPants posted:

I had a weird issue with my skates though, I couldnt physically lean on my left outside edge. I am right-handed so I don't know if it is just lack of confidence having not skated for 4 months or if I may have messed up my skate somehow any suggestions would be great. Hockey with old men is always the best hockey.

It's almost always a mental thing and not a skate thing in this case. If it were a skate thing you'd probably notice it just in skating in general, not only when you wanted to rely on that edge. Anyway, go to stick time and do some edge drills and do the most on the edge you suck with. For me it's my right outside edge, if I don't work on it enough I start to back off of it again because I don't trust it totally.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think everyone has a weak side. You just have to force yourself to work that side twice as hard so you can conceal that it's your weak side. :v:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Not sure if this is the right thread for this but maybe? I get brutal acne on my forehead every week after my hockey game, I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'm not usually prone to breakouts but I think all the sweat and bacteria in the helmet just destroys it. Does this happen to anyone else and how can I prevent it? Are there wipes or something I can use after/during the game? I always wash my face as soon as I get home but it's not working.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Got assigned to my team yesterday! Already had to send an email to the captain explaining that I'll be out 3 weeks due to the recovery of my surgery.

Hope I don't get traded. :smith:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Good news, Jets. The injury will play itself out:) I'm still waiting to hear when they are definitely starting the learn-to-play clinics (January?).

Also, the guy who runs it in area says Jock Callander always coaches the clinics but I don't think that's going to happen this year since he's been hired as an assistant for the Monsters.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Beat one of the top teams in the league last night to make it 3 for 3 as a brand new Silver team. Maybe we aren't too shabby? It was one of our long-standing friendly rivals too. First time we've beat them in a while, so it felt pretty awesome.

That said, my line is in a crappy rut. My center and I went 1 and 2 in the league in points last season and we probably scored 75% of our team's goals. The last handful regular season games + all of the playoffs, and now this season we haven't really done poo poo. I feel like we're getting good looks, but we just can't finish it anymore. Frustrating.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
After one season of the Low-D division our team got moved up to High-D division. This coincided with losing two of our better players for different reasons. We had our first game last night (11pm games, yay) and won 10-4. It was a pleasant surprise to see how well we played together as a team with only 8 skaters. We used to run 10 in Low-D (4 D, 6 O) but I actually think that extra offensive line worked against us after seeing us perform last night.

In an effort to better myself I also signed up for Low-D division and E division. It's funny how after only one season in Low-D you can start to really see the difference between those players and E players. We played against a team that I used to think was just full of ringers and none of them should be in E, but after playing higher and gaining some confidence and skill, they just seemed like good players.

Hockey rules. Playing better hockey rules.

Ninja edit: I also picked up a Reebok 11k 75 flex Crosby curve for 65 bucks. I used it last night for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. I got it because my Easton sticks keep cracking in the blade (a Mako and an ST.) Does anyone have any experience with the durability of Reebok sticks?

cenzo fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 25, 2012

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

cenzo posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the durability of Reebok sticks?

I get reebok 10k and 11k pro stock sticks for free so those are what I use 99% of the time.

I would have to say with how light they are, they hold up surprisingly well. I use them for both ice and roller. Mine are pretty stiff though (90-100 flex) so that might contribute to my personal experience with durability. My brother in law is an AHL/KHL defenseman so he can whip a 90-100 flex stick a lot more than I can but they last longer than I would expect. From my experience, the blade and toe will start to deteriorate before anything else will. I've only snapped 2-3 in the dozens that I've used, both from slapshots during very physical games of stick checking and slashing. Ive had some reebok models that have lasted a year or more, and Ive had a couple that snapped in a half dozen games or so.

I like them overall but if it weren't for having pro stock hand me downs I wouldn't spend this much on sticks. I actually really like the few eastons that he's thrown my way.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Checking into local public skate times and learned the rink closest to me is charging $20 for drop-in hockey. :wtf:

Anyone else pay this much? (Full disclosure: this rink is a piece of poo poo I no longer go to)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

prom candy posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but maybe? I get brutal acne on my forehead every week after my hockey game, I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'm not usually prone to breakouts but I think all the sweat and bacteria in the helmet just destroys it. Does this happen to anyone else and how can I prevent it? Are there wipes or something I can use after/during the game? I always wash my face as soon as I get home but it's not working.

Do you wear a bandanna or anything under your helmet? If not, try one and see if it helps. I don't have the acne issue but I do use one to keep the sweat and my hair out of my eyes and it works well for that -- may be worth a shot.

edit: Just remember to re-fit your helmet with the bandanna on if you decide to try it, else you might discover the helmet doesn't fit.