Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

null_pointer posted:

Hey, are you guys doing anything to prevent the bottom of your bread from scorching when you cook in a dutch oven? I've tried using a layer of tin foil, shiny side down, but it's really not doing much.

For my crusty white bread, I typically preheat the oven and dutch oven at 500, then step down to 450 after 15 minutes, by the time I take it out for the last 15 minutes, the bottom is pretty close to black.

I’ve had the same issue and reasonably good success by using a sheet pan or pizza stone on the bottom rack. I don’t think it makes a ton of difference but I assume a stone or steel will help stabilize the oven temp a bit better than a sheet pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

redreader posted:

I put a tray in the rack below the Dutch oven for that reason. Some people put parchment paper on the bottom of the Dutch oven.

Okay, the sheet pan under the dutch oven, I can see. But a piece of parchment paper? Is that really going to have any insulating effect?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I put a baking sheet or two on the rack below the Dutch oven. I used to use parchment inside it as well, but have now switched to a silicone mat like this. I found I get less scorching than parchment

In other news, pulled this beauty out of the oven this morning.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Dacap posted:

I put a baking sheet or two on the rack below the Dutch oven. I used to use parchment inside it as well, but have now switched to a silicone mat like this. I found I get less scorching than parchment

Nice.

quote:

In other news, pulled this beauty out of the oven this morning.

Nice!

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Parchment definitely works. In fact it also makes it easier to put the loaf in the Dutch oven if you transfer it on a strip of parchment paper. Like you know… lowering a coffin into the ground.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

yeah putting a cookie sheet on a rack below the dutch oven helps prevent overcooking the bottom of the loaf for uhhh reasons? thermal mass or something

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

It's diffusing the transfer of heat against the bottom of the Dutch oven during the heating cycle.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have not had this problem at all with my Le Creuset. What are y'all using? I was thinking of switching to a Lodge combo deal and wonder if I will start to deal with this.

I also see others don't just dump their dough from a banneton straight in. That might explain why I don't get such a straightforward scoring.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

null_pointer posted:

Hey, are you guys doing anything to prevent the bottom of your bread from scorching when you cook in a dutch oven? I've tried using a layer of tin foil, shiny side down, but it's really not doing much.

For my crusty white bread, I typically preheat the oven and dutch oven at 500, then step down to 450 after 15 minutes, by the time I take it out for the last 15 minutes, the bottom is pretty close to black.

Parchment paper will do ya.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
2 layers of parchment paper on the bottom of my Lodge cast iron combo cooker is what I use. Great way to use up odd bits or past-its-prime used pieces.

If I'm baking in something light colored (like my casserole dish or my shiny bread pan) I don't need another layer though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Ended up going with this recipe for cuban loaves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi5zmZn6y9Y

Step one:

Step two: ???

Step three: Surprisingly, it came out fantastically, I think, even with my shaping skills being, well, a bit sketchy.

Extremely soft and fluffy inside with a healthy crust on the outside that holds up to a sandwich with plenty of toppings.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Taking my first swing at bread proper, a pain de campagne. I bought a copy of the baker's apprentice, prepped a pate fermentee, and I'm letting it rise for a few hours while the pot roast cooks.

I've been making pizza for the last few months so it's not a complete mystery, but very new regardless. Any advice is welcome.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
First bread!! A simple pain de campagne. Had originally resolved to go for a boule, but after reading about all the gotchas, caveats, and methods, decided to go for epi instead. It's the classiest of the bunch anyway~

Haven't let it cool yet, but I tore one off immediately and the crust was amazing. I am so ready for these.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Does anyone have a good recipe for overnight hand-tossed pizza dough?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Silver Nitrate posted:

From my copy of The Elements of Pizza by Ken Forkish.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Got a third-hand breadmaking machine (Morphy Richards model whatever).

Tried to make a baguette. Followed the instructions here:
https://breaddad.com/bread-machine-french-bread-recipe/
almost exactly (added some Italian herbs to the mix and neglected to coat the dough with olive oil for about half an hour before re-reading the recipe).

The dough basically didn't rise at all, At the end of an hour I pressed it a few times with my fingers and the indentations didn't spring back at all, so into the oven it went.

Yeah, fairly terrible. Very dense, spongey, basically turned to stone the next day. What am I doing wrong?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Xander77 posted:

Got a third-hand breadmaking machine (Morphy Richards model whatever).

Tried to make a baguette. Followed the instructions here:
https://breaddad.com/bread-machine-french-bread-recipe/
almost exactly (added some Italian herbs to the mix and neglected to coat the dough with olive oil for about half an hour before re-reading the recipe).

The dough basically didn't rise at all, At the end of an hour I pressed it a few times with my fingers and the indentations didn't spring back at all, so into the oven it went.

Yeah, fairly terrible. Very dense, spongey, basically turned to stone the next day. What am I doing wrong?

How old was your yeast?

Where was the dough proving? In the machine? Was it heated at all? Did you use warm or gold water? If you used cold water on a cold day it can take a long time for the yeast to do its thing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

therattle posted:

How old was your yeast?

Where was the dough proving? In the machine? Was it heated at all? Did you use warm or gold water? If you used cold water on a cold day it can take a long time for the yeast to do its thing.
Freshly bought yeast in a packet.
The dough rested on the counter, under a towel. Lukewarm water (didn't measure the temperature), but yesterday was unseasonably warm.

Both the recipe I followed and all the recipes in the breadmaker instruction manual suggest going water-flour-yeast, so that the yeast only touches the water once the mixing starts. Maybe I should try dropping the yeast into the water and giving it a few minutes to bloom?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 24, 2022

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
With untrustworthy yeast you can give it, like, 10 minutes in a small amount of warm water with a bit of sugar to see if it's alive. It's not usually necessary w/ modern dry yeast but sometimes you get a bad batch and it's an inexpensive way to tell.
Please witness my first ever loaf w/ a successful ear. I didn't realize that the lighting would be so dramatic.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

With untrustworthy yeast you can give it, like, 10 minutes in a small amount of warm water with a bit of sugar to see if it's alive. It's not usually necessary w/ modern dry yeast but sometimes you get a bad batch and it's an inexpensive way to tell.
Please witness my first ever loaf w/ a successful ear. I didn't realize that the lighting would be so dramatic.

God loving drat, you even got the floor lines from your banneton. Do you get those consistently?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Squishy posted:

Amazing. Super impressive.

Xander77 posted:

Freshly bought yeast in a packet.
The dough rested on the counter, under a towel. Lukewarm water (didn't measure the temperature), but yesterday was unseasonably warm.

Both the recipe I followed and all the recipes in the breadmaker instruction manual suggest going water-flour-yeast, so that the yeast only touches the water once the mixing starts. Maybe I should try dropping the yeast into the water and giving it a few minutes to bloom?

That certainly wouldn’t hurt. Did the dough rise at all? What qualifies as unseasonably warm?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
More Cuban loaves and I'm getting much better at shaping. This is a really forgiving recipe, I like it!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Here's a cross section of the bread. I don't believe what it says on the bag that Khorasan is a heritage grain. The flour's so pleasant to work with it must have been built in a lab.

null_pointer posted:

God loving drat, you even got the floor lines from your banneton. Do you get those consistently?

I do. It must just be a good banneton because it can't be a function of skill. I've made many barely-edible spirally breads.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

therattle posted:

Amazing. Super impressive.

That certainly wouldn’t hurt. Did the dough rise at all? What qualifies as unseasonably warm?
Just barely. Definitely not into anything baguette sized.

Sweaty in mid-february.

Separate question. Is there anything you can add to freshly-baked bread to make it stay edible for more than 1-2 days? (Or at least not turn to stone like a troll at sunrise?)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Separate question. Is there anything you can add to freshly-baked bread to make it stay edible for more than 1-2 days? (Or at least not turn to stone like a troll at sunrise?)

Are you keeping it in a container, like a bread bin? That should help stave off staleness for a little under a week. 2 days seems really fast to get to inedible bread. There are things you can bake in to help soften it. I think fat helps with that, like a glug of olive oil, or some butter rubbed into the flour while it's dry. I have also seen claims that potato bread stays fresh unusually long. There you replace some of the flour with some boiled and mashed potato.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Sweaty in mid-february.

have you ever baked using tangzhong before? it's one extra step that can add days to your bread's shelf life. https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2018/03/26/introduction-to-tangzhong

it's mostly used in Asian breads that use milk for liquids but it works fantastically with water too.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Tangzhong works and also introducing some alternate starches like potato starch. However, potato starch hasn't really added much more than another 24 hours.

Enclosing the bread will make sure it grows mold in a week instead of turning into a brick in a day. It also softens the crust which is a tradeoff. I have accepted this personally.

I have dabbled with soy lecithin but I am not sure how much it has affected longevity, and it is a special order. I have also seen schemes with adding vitamin C and various acids as leaveners and augmentations, but I haven't really broken down how each contributes to bread life. I have played with them in recipes but have not really seen how things go with and without.

Without enclosing the bread in a bag or breadbox, I have noticed my lean breads and egg-enriched breads stale up quicker than ones that have had fat added without eggs. Regardless, I could hammer nails with any kind of homemade bread after three days on the counter. It is just better to freeze extra loaves if I won't get near them before that time.

I am sure you can get enough enrichments and chemicals to maintain a longer shelf life like Wonder bread, and I would really like to see somebody making an "artisanal Wonderbread" with the ear and everything.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Lots of baking so far this weekend

6-seed 100% Whole wheat pullman

30% Whole Wheat Bayard

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Sweaty in mid-february.

I usually leave it on the counter for a couple of days and then put it into a bag. The bag ruins the crust but keeps it quite tasty and edible for another few days.

Fresh bread without preservatives is not something that lasts though.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Keeping bread fresh:

Tangzhong, oats, potato flakes, liquid fats, sourdough, air-tight container...

The best solution I have found, if I want it to be nice more than 72hrs later, is to slice & freeze for loaves (rolls get frozen whole). Pop it in the toaster or oven, and soon there's toasty warm bread again.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
My wife got me a 16 inch oval banneton for my birthday. I had asked for an 11" but well, I guess I won't complain. Here is a 1.8 kilo sourdough loaf:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hah! It'll be a ongoing thing on whether or not the 18" one was actually a mistake.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Someone told my mom that Kefir can be used as a substitute for powdered milk (which features in pretty much every breadmaker recipe and is pretty much impossible to get around here, apparently due to kashrut issues). Is that so? If not, what might be a good replacement?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Xander77 posted:

Someone told my mom that Kefir can be used as a substitute for powdered milk (which features in pretty much every breadmaker recipe and is pretty much impossible to get around here, apparently due to kashrut issues). Is that so? If not, what might be a good replacement?

Man, now I want to try my hand at kefir Southern biscuits.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Xander77 posted:

I don’t know but I’ve found it’s an excellent replacement for buttermilk.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I never have powdered milk. I just substitute milk (or fake milk) in for some of the liquid instead and it's been fine.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

effika posted:

I never have powdered milk. I just substitute milk (or fake milk) in for some of the liquid instead and it's been fine.

This is what I would do. Just remember that there is fat in milk and if you're using regular whole milk it's not 100% water so you can't replace it 1 for 1.

If a recipe calls for dry/powered milk and you leave it out, it just means the finished bread might not be quite as tender and it might not brown as well in the oven. But other than that it should still be just fine.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

beerinator posted:

This is what I would do. Just remember that there is fat in milk and if you're using regular whole milk it's not 100% water so you can't replace it 1 for 1.
Ok. So one suggested spoon of powdered milk would be... X milk + Y?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Silver Nitrate posted:

For some reason most recipes you see are for multiple pizzas. This is proportions for one 12-14" pizza.

7.5 oz / 212 g 00 flour. For bread you can get away with more, but for pizza I think using 00 flour actually gets you some needed elasticity in the dough.
140 ml water
3.3 g sugar
3.3 g instant yeast
5 g salt
1 tbsp olive oil

blitz all of that in a food processor for 30 seconds or so so it makes a dough

lightly oil it and put in a container in the fridge with room to rise overnight.

Ideally you preheat a pizza stone in the oven for about an hour on the highest temperature.

Take the dough out, flatten it into a pizza shaped disc, adding enough flour so nothing sticks, put it on a peel, apply sauce, cheese and toppings, and immediately, slide it off onto the hot stone in the oven. You don't need to let it rest after rolling it out and if you do it just gets floppier and harder to slide smoothly off a peel.

Use a dusting of flour and corn meal to help it slide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Ok. So one suggested spoon of powdered milk would be... X milk + Y?

A Tablespoon of dry milk powder reconstitutes with 1/4C liquid, so I just sub in that much milk (skim if you care about fat ratios, but it's usually fine to use whatever) for water. Or just do all milk or all water if you want and see how it goes!