Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Hogge Wild posted:

Why is that blob there, by the way?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sz%C3%A9kelys#Origins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

I also knew this from Crusader Kings 2. Well, I was aware of it before, but CK2 got me to look at this after a game successfully holding the Magyars out of the Carpathian Basin.

fermun fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 11, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Disco Infiva posted:

I just love that Romania looks like an obese fish :3

It looks more like a fat chicken drumstick to me, to be honest. :btroll:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I seem to remember that area of Transylvania has rather large number of valleys and plateaus in it, it is very possible that a group of Magyars moved them and became isolated over time. Also, there use to be more of a Hungarian population between the Romania/Hungarian border and that area.

I do think Trianon was a gently caress up and could have been done better, there was no way to create an enclave in Transylvania but the borders could have been shifted to include a lot more Hungarians than they did rather than leaving Hungarian populations on the other side. If anything it could have saved a lot of bitterness and hassle for everyone involved and probably wouldn't have cost Slovakia/Romania that much territory. That said, Trianon was far from the only gross miscalculation happening in and around Paris in 1919.

3peat
May 6, 2010

cheerfullydrab posted:

You don't think it's sad that the blob on the right got screwed over in 1919?

Not, it would have meant creating an enclave right in the middle of the country and since there are also plenty of romanians there you would have had enclaves within enclaves and all the silliness that goes with it.

Also the hungarians pretty much screwed themselves over prior to that with their policies of forced magyarization and discrimination against the romanian majority in Transylvania (for example romanians weren't allowed to enter cities, weren't recognized as an ethnicity, and so on; it was kinda like an apartheid system) so in 1918 the local romanians and germans (saxons and swabians, who were also angry at the magyarization thing) voted for leaving Hungary and joining Romania.

Then there was the war of 1919, Romania won and occupied all of Hungary, and the matter was settled.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Torrannor posted:

The really impressive thing about this map is how they managed to completely mislabeled it. Look at the legend and then at the individual numbers, it just doesn't mesh.

But the reduction of deaths is interesting. Even in countries that had no economic collapse did the death rate fall.

They do make sense. Example: Finland has bit over 5 million people and had 255 Road Deaths in 2012 = 47 deaths per million people.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Phlegmish posted:

By the time it becomes profitable to extract resources in Antarctica, there is no guarantee that the US and Russia will still be able to project force across the globe to the same extent as today. In fact, Russia is looking dubious even today.

Well yeah but Russia just conquered Crimea without even firing a shot.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Peanut President posted:

Well yeah but Russia just conquered Crimea without even firing a shot.

Crimea is p. close to Russia.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Hogge Wild posted:

Crimea is p. close to Russia.

And filled with people who support/identify with Russia. Penguins... maybe not so much.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Give a penguin enough vodka and he'll vote for you.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

adhuin posted:

They do make sense. Example: Finland has bit over 5 million people and had 255 Road Deaths in 2012 = 47 deaths per million people.

Think he's talking about the legend, the most commonsense way to read it would make either the numbers or the colors wrong.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Make Bavaria independent, give South Tyrol to Austria, and give Vorarlberg to Switzerland.

e: hm, that bundesadler should be crying. Oh well.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

"Some form" of universal health care? No difference between "no data" and "no universal health care"? A bad map.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

So literally no one else is changing their health care laws at the moment?

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Isn't universal health care literally guaranteed under Iraq's constitution?

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

We don't have to worry about the Koreans re establishing their world hegemony, all we have to do is daisy chain some extension cords and set up a wall of oscillating fans.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Ammat The Ankh posted:

They still own a couple islands in the Indian Ocean, so they're able to carve out a portion of Antarctica it looks like.

I think it's probably got more to do with New Caledonia (which explains why it splits the Australian sector)

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/themargin/2014/02/21/plan-to-divide-california-into-6-states-gets-closer-to-vote/

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Making San Bernardino go with Orange County is so cruel.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Wait what is Norway doing, they're about as far as you can possibly get from Antarctica excluding, like, Greenland.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I would assume its a historic claim since they were one of the early countries to explore it.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Lycus posted:

Making San Bernardino go with Orange County is so cruel.

And potentially pass up 2 out of 8 Republican senators? I think not.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I would assume its a historic claim since they were one of the early countries to explore it.

Or, you know, just the one that reached the South Pole first.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Star Man posted:

Or, you know, just the one that reached the South Pole first.

Yawn, let me know when Norway discovers something more exciting than a continent of penguins.

Emperor penguins loving own

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Does anyone have that map of what the claims would look like if every country used the "we own the closest piece of land due north of this section so it's ours" argument? I can't remember if it was posted in this thread it but it was kinda neat.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

I've always found it interesting that there are still hundreds of thousands of Hungarians living in the middle of Romania. Are their numbers stable or are they slowly being assimilated?

Based on demographic data here and here

It seems that the population of Hungarians relative to the overall population was dropping up until 2002. Since then, the percentage of Hungarians in Romania has stayed around 6.5%. That said, it seems that the number of Hungarians living outside of Transylvania collapsed between 2002 and 2011 from around 15,000 to less than 3,000.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

made of bees posted:

Does anyone have that map of what the claims would look like if every country used the "we own the closest piece of land due north of this section so it's ours" argument? I can't remember if it was posted in this thread it but it was kinda neat.

Yes, that was in this thread earlier:

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Calling it now: Senegalese Antarctica will be the world's sole superpower as of A.D. 3650 :toxx:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I wonder if Seward knew that he was potentially picking up a claim on a big piece of Antarctica too.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

:stare: I don't remember making a gif of this.

Oh, wait, it might have been to show how long a usable gif would take, if a "quick" one like this took several minutes to loop. But I don't remember adding The Wedge to that...

Also, thanks for reminding me I need to remake that map. And yes, I think I've been saying that for two years.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

BBJoey posted:

Wait what is Norway doing, they're about as far as you can possibly get from Antarctica excluding, like, Greenland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouvet_Island

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

3peat posted:

Not, it would have meant creating an enclave right in the middle of the country and since there are also plenty of romanians there you would have had enclaves within enclaves and all the silliness that goes with it.

Also the hungarians pretty much screwed themselves over prior to that with their policies of forced magyarization and discrimination against the romanian majority in Transylvania (for example romanians weren't allowed to enter cities, weren't recognized as an ethnicity, and so on; it was kinda like an apartheid system) so in 1918 the local romanians and germans (saxons and swabians, who were also angry at the magyarization thing) voted for leaving Hungary and joining Romania.

Then there was the war of 1919, Romania won and occupied all of Hungary, and the matter was settled.
I understand that the motivations were revenge and pretty borders, but that's no justification. History proves that you can't fix old wrongs by drawing lines on a map and denying people self-expression.

edit:
Also I got that map from the Wikipedia page for 'Magyarization'. Came across it when I was researching the history of Slovaks in Vojvodina Sunday night while watching The Walking Dead. I get it. I understand your perspective. But two wrongs don't make a right.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 12, 2014

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Eh, that might as well be a map for population density.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

What's so special about a ~27% obesity rate? Why is that where they made the cutoff? Also, what about states that have a 26.1%-27% rate?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

double nine posted:

Eh, that might as well be a map for population density.

Actually it's more like poverty.jpg

Edit: The yellow parts showing spatial outlier poverty of course being manifest_destiny.jpg
Edit2: Actually I guess there isn't as much overlap as I thought at first glance. With reservations, that is.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 12, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Craptacular posted:

What's so special about a ~27% obesity rate? Why is that where they made the cutoff? Also, what about states that have a 26.1%-27% rate?

Because republicans are fat & dumb rednecks lol

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Craptacular posted:

What's so special about a ~27% obesity rate? Why is that where they made the cutoff?

Because that cutoff is the one that made the colors most conveniently line up to support the author's cheap point-scoring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3peat
May 6, 2010

Craptacular posted:

What's so special about a ~27% obesity rate?

Maybe it means bigger than (almost) all the EU :)