Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah I think that's a normal universal deal, but you should get it from a better source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Sure seems like it! And people generally trust them, so that's a better way to go.

Upon further consideration, however, we aren't even sure if it makes sense. Sure, two more free days of parks is good but that means changing flights, pestering braksgirl to see if it's even possible to extend our trip, and then dropping probably another 500-600 bucks on more hotel nights and food. So it's not really practical.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
I can easily do both universal parks in two days including hitting all the major rides. I believe they give you that deal so you keep coming back to the parks. In other words- plan something additional for those two days. If you have small children though the extra days may be needed at Universal :).

In terms of what rides to avoid or not do if you do end up short on time- I would say Kong. It's their new ride, but in my opinion it's fairly short and not worth more than 30 minutes of wait time.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

nbakyfan posted:

I can easily do both universal parks in two days including hitting all the major rides. I believe they give you that deal so you keep coming back to the parks. In other words- plan something additional for those two days. If you have small children though the extra days may be needed at Universal :).

In terms of what rides to avoid or not do if you do end up short on time- I would say Kong. It's their new ride, but in my opinion it's fairly short and not worth more than 30 minutes of wait time.

Yeah. We're thrilled Kong is opening as we couldn't give a poo poo about it, and it'll likely be a huge crowd siphon. We're also going at a great time of the year (12/1) and we're only hitting Uni/Islands on weekdays, and we'll be there for park opening. So yeah, I can't imagine we'll leave anything we care about on the table. No kids either.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Braksgirl was it you who said you sell Universal Tickets also?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Yes, I do sell Universal tickets.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Boxman posted:

Remind me, this thread approves of pictures, right?

Most definitely. As the OP, I encourage them. I've posted several of them myself. I especially appreciate pics showing crowd sizes, construction updates or new stuff.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

That reminds me, I took this photo in Sleeping Beauty's castle when I was at Disneyland. Reminded me of y'all.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Awright, photo dump incoming. Between Photopass, my iPhone, and my camera, we flew home with about 1,050 pictures to sort through and process. These are a handful of my favorites.

When we went to the Magic Kingdom at opening one day, we were lucky enough to snag the front facing seats on the double decker bus that runs up and down Main Street. This let me get some really great photos from an unusual perspective. Being there for as long as we were took the pressure off rope drops. We got to enjoy the ambiance of a Main Street that was skipped by people who preferred dashing to 7DMT.

The Festival of Fantasy parade is cool and good. We were able to snag FP+ after using our initial 3, which was really a blessing for good photos. Had we just been enjoying the parade, sitting on the side would have been fine, but the opportunity to get the "float with castle in the background" picture was amazing.

Maleficent's ravens are some great costumes.

Burst photography was important. This one came from a burst of maybe 10 pictures of Ariel.

It's difficult to describe how happy I was to get to see the MSEP before it's laid to rest. It's one of the handful of extremely vivid memories I have of the Parks from when I visited as a small child. drat if I didn't shed a tear during the opening spiel...ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls....

And now, photos of spaceship Earth because no one has ever taken pictures of it before.

These two have been added to my desktop image rotation. If you want to use 'em for the same, I've uploaded them at full resolution. Using not-imgur because it's choking on the large file sizes. (Actually, it looks like they're dropping them down to a 1080 resolution anyway. I'll work on getting them uploaded properly somewhere if anyone is interested).

For my money, the Tower of Terror and its queue are the most photogenic icons the parks have. Screw that wait time sign though.

No one has ever taken this picture of Everest before.

And one picture of some construction - this is the view from a bus to AK. Apparently the giant hole in the tree line is new-ish (source), and it gives a really fantastic look at the Hallelujah Mountains and the back of the new show building. You can also see the facade on the show building going on, and lets take a moment to appreciate how adorable the tiny floating "rocks" are on top of the building.

Avatar may be a wet fart when not viewed on an IMAX screen, but Pandora is has the potential to be really pretty and awe-inspiring. It's so difficult to convey scale in pictures, but the Mountains look seriously incredible. I'm looking forward to re-visiting when Pandora is open.

Also, let me just say how much fun it is post-processing photos of Disney. Normally I have to watch myself with the color saturation slider and be careful to not get too much of an artificial, cartoony look while still getting colors to pop nicely. With these, though, who really cares if things have an over the top cartoon look? It's Disney! The blues are bluer, the greens are greener! The picture of Ariel has its contrast notched a bit higher than it "should," and the wallpaper sized pictures of Spaceship Earth have it way higher.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 18, 2016

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Love them! I'm excited for my husband to go crazy with his camera when we go in November.

Fun fact I learned today- when you buy a MB in the park, make sure they activate it for you, or it means you will wonder why you can't self activate it for the next 6 months. Called the mouse today and they got it fixed for me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Speaking of Universal, HHN this year is better than I expected it to be! I was concerned by the overdose of IP houses, but pretty much every house and scarezone except for The Walking Dead (please just die already) and Chance's 3D house is at least solid. They also got Academy of Villains to make up a show for them, and it's phenomenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnMVm98tgXk

Meanwhile, the Bill & Ted show has somehow gotten worse.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Thanks to Braksgirl for putting together an amazing 5 day 4 night trip for us last week. Thought I'd make some mini reviews on our experiences.

1) Contemporary Resort Club Level

Woo, expensive. But gently caress it, first trip in 30 years, I figured do it right. The Club Level essentially an entire floor of the resort with a lounge and concierge in the middle near the elevators. The lounge does 4 food services per day (breakfast, lunch, snacks, then apps & wine). We had mimosas in our hands before we could even sit down at the check in. They were refilled instantly. The pillows were huge and fluffy, the sheets new and fresh. Even the bathrobes were feather soft. Speakers on the lounge area balconies are coordinated to broadcast the Wishes fireworks display with perfect timing. The concierge never ran out of patience or solutions: ponchos appeared, reservations were canceled without hassle, the entire Disney library was on DVD and available. The food served in the lounge was excellent and high quality, with a young Disney chef on standby. White bean soup, sashimi, warm fresh baked cookies, etc. The snack period even saw a variety of nuts, pretzels and candies being put out so guests could make their own trail mix. Did I mention mimosas? Did I mention that we were adopted by one of the cook staff, who made sure that every time we went out to the parks, our waters bottles were filled with mimosas? I loving love that woman. Wouldn't even take a tip I tried to give her. Blitzed on a monorail is a great way to start the morning. On our last day after check out, she even slipped us some mimosa refills in some spare Dasani bottles! I've stayed at many resort hotels in my life, including several South Beach boutique hotels and probably a dozen Ritz Carltons across the US. Contemporary's Club Level beat ALL of them. It's not even close. I don't regret a drat thing. This was high end done right, swank as hell, and we're already talking about going back.

2) Polynesian Resort Kamehameha Club Level

This was to be the same deal as Club Level at Contemporary. I wanted to make a switch mid-week because of nostalgia. Boy, that was a mistake. What a loving mistake. 1st problem: The concierge and lounge staff have 2-3 times as many guests to handle as the staff over at the Contemporary, and it showed. 2nd problem: Sheets & pillows were old and over washed, & no bathrobes. Not even the complimentary toothbrush kits we got at Contemporary were waiting for us. 3rd problem: It has a clubhouse, but it was set at the very end of a very long building, which at the end of a day in a Disney Park is like staring at an engraved invitation to the Bataan Death March. Fourth problem: the food and drinks in the Polynesian lounge were god-loving-awful. Has any place in America been cooking Polynesian food longer and in more quantity than the WDW Polynesian Resort? It looked and tasted like a lunch time buffet at a strip club. Build your own trail mix? No way buddy, here's a big bowl of the pre-packaged mix you can buy at Whole Foods. The booze definitely did not flow willingly.

Having late night access to Trader Sam’s and dole whips just didn't make up for the lousy food, the inept concierge, and the poor amenities. If you want to stay at the Poly, take a normal room. We were heartbroken to leave Disney, but not sad to check out of the Kamehameha.

3) California Grill

My first thought was, how good could it be? Visions of chicken nuggets were dancing in my head as we rode up the elevator. California cuisine? Blow me, Wolfgang Puck. Man, was I wrong. What a really good loving restaurant. Chicken flatbreads and the tofu truffle roll started the meal, and both were flawless. I can still taste that truffle roll. For entrees, the pork plate was divine. Unfortunately, a major misstep happened with the seafood ramen. It was over salted gloppy mush with big hunks of seafood on top, clearly conceived by someone who thought "ramen" meant that poo poo in a styrofoam cup. I realize that this was probably meant to be a playful upscale take on college level ramen, but the menu didn't clarify that and we didn't think to ask in a place this upscale, so we were expecting you know...actual ramen. Very disappointing. But with everything else considered, plus the service and gorgeous setting, this was a meal I won't soon forget.

4) Jiko

Quality on par with California Grill, and only half as crowded. It has the benefit of a chef's bar so you can watch the magic and chat with the chefs. Heirloom tomato and grape flatbread killed it, so did the naan sampler. Her steak was perfect, and my chicken was expertly cooked. Jiko gets a little more adventurous with the seasoning, but doesn't go overboard. My only complaint was the $25 valet charge at the AK Lodge for an hour long dinner. There might be a reason this place is only half full. It's a mistake to put a high end destination restaurant out in the Animal Kingdom boonies and then valet charge that high for dinner guests. It took a little bit of shine off the end of an otherwise excellent meal, and I'd hesitate to return knowing that I can just monorail it somewhere else. Still, the meal was arguably better than what we had at the California Grill, and that's really saying something.

physeter fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 19, 2016

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I had the ramen at CG when I was there in May and it was pretty clutch. Hope it was just a bad night in soup. Now I've got a new life goal of CL level at the Contemporary, thanks to your report!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Awesome! I might have to think about the Contemporary for my next trip.

We stayed in the concierge club level at the Boardwalk Inn last year (lucked into a free upgrade) and it was amazing. Wine and cordials every night, and a balcony to watch Illuminations. The breakfast food was great too. No water bottle mimosas for us, but they did always have fresh lemonade ready to go when we passed by.

We spent a few late evenings just relaxing and playing board games in the club lounge, and it was every bit as memorable as our days in the parks.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Crazy that there's such an obvious disparity among the deluxe resorts. Figured when you're dropping that kinda coin you could expect some consistency. I'm glad you at least had a good experience first.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah I think that's a normal universal deal, but you should get it from a better source.

If you're spending more than one day at universal, you're probably better off just being an annual passholder. I live in Denver and my pass has paid for itself multiple times.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
finally

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/09/breaking-stitchs-great-escape-operate-seasonally-permanant-closure-imminent/

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

bring back HR Giger drat you

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Finally Wreck it Ralph get an attraction! Hopefully not just a lame reskin, time for a new experience.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I've been trying to talk myself out of going to WDW again so soon after going last year, and I think I'm failing.

I remember reading somewhere earlier in the thread that January is the recommended time to go (I thought it was in the OP, but it isn't), but I wouldn't be able to go any time before April. Is April/May a decent time to go, or would it be better to wait until about September?

I stayed at All Star Movies last time and that was perfectly fine (in fact far better than I was expecting for something labeled 'Value'), but is the upgrade to a Moderate hotel really worth it?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If you can get a deal moderate is definitely worth it. It's as nice as a deluxe level would be in a lot of places, and often for not much more than the value resorts.

April can be busy with spring breakers and it's already miserably hot, but it's late Sept now and still in the 90s, so that's a wash. September crowds are generally better, most MK wait times are ~20 minutes right now. I'd say go with September-Oct unless you can get a great Spring discount on your package.

Early December is the best time in my opinion, both weather and crowd wise.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Anybody want to help me figure out how to split my time? Haven't gone since I was a little kid, but I'm taking my fiance from January 28 (Sat) to Feb 5 (Sat), so I need to start planning the actual "what we'll be doing". We're staying at Port Orleans, and I have 5 park hopper passes, and we want to go to Universal one day to see HP stuff. Trying to figure out the best "small crowds to best experiences to ____" ratio for the 5 Disney days we'll have.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Honestly for that time of year you should be able to have a very loose schedule and fit everything in easily, even with a Universal day and a hotel/Disney Springs day. I'd plan to start each day in a different park (the ones without extra magic hours, since they will be more crowded in the mornings) and setup your fast passes to hit some highlights, take a break after lunch, have dinner, then head to whichever park you want to spend the night in (preferably whichever one has extra magic hours for the least crowds). See every nighttime show at least once, maybe do a guided tour or two, and try to get some fun restaurant reservations. If you need any specific recommendations feel free to ask, but you have ample time in what should be low crowds. I'll paste my highlights from earlier:

Here's a Universal itinerary in recommended order from morning to evening (basically what my wife and I do each time we go since she doesn't do big thrill rides). If you do big coasters, squeeze them in as you pass them (Hulk, Dragon's Challenge, Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket),

Islands of Adventure

Storm Force
Dr. Doom
Spider-Man
King Kong Skull Island
Jurassic Park (one drop at the end like Splash Mtn)
Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barge
Dudley Do Right's Ripsaw Falls
Harry Potter & the Forbidden Journey
Hogwarts Express which takes you over to:

Universal

Harry Potter & the Escape from Gringotts
Men in Black
Simpsons
E.T.
Transformers
Despicable Me
Nighttime tribute to movies fireworks

Disney Highlights - Bolded attractions are fast pass recommendations

Magic Kingdom

Big Thunder Mountain
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain

Haunted Mansion
Mine Train
Pirates of the Caribbean

Hollywood Studios

Tower of Terror
Rockin' Rollercoaster
Toy Story
Star Tours
Great Movie Ride

EPCOT

Soarin
Test Track
Mission Space

Animal Kingdom

Expedition Everest
Dinosaur
Kali River Rapids
Kilimanjaro Safari
Nemo Musical

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 21, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I haven't stayed in a moderate or deluxe, and i've never really stayed in a nice place except the Parker House in boston in my life (which is just a nicer bed) but i totally thought a value (pop century) was great and adamant. Granted we spent none of our time at the hotel and all at the parks so.

And go. I am going three times in one year because I am insane.

If you don't mind going late at night o na water ride Splash mountain gets like 5 minute waits after 8 PM. I think the rides better during that time also.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
If we aren't staying at Pop Century, which is basically our go to, we are concerned with proximity to the parks. Ease of travel is the biggest benefit of any higher end resort. Transportation is generally faster and you never have the problem of super long lines and waiting on additional busses.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Looking at Food and Wine merch, and uhhh

This household is far too obsessed with the Three Cabelleros to let it pass. Would anyone in the thread who's going to be at Food & Wine mind picking this up for us? I'd be happy to throw in some cash for your troubles (in addition to covering the cost of the pin and shipping, obviously).

I didn't see it on the Disney Parks app. :/

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

If you can wait until November, I'd be happy get it for you. Otherwise, someone else going soon can do it.

So there's a discount out....but it's for offsite resort guests. It's so weird.

Beginning Sept. 22, 2016, for a limited time, Guests who book a Walt Disney Travel Company package at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotels, Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World® Resort, Disney Springs™ Resort Area Hotels or a Walt Disney World Good Neighbor® Hotel with a minimum 3-day ticket, can enjoy the convenience of prepaid dining at Quick-Service Restaurant locations at Walt Disney World Resort. Booking dates for this additional package option are Sept. 22, 2016-April 1, 2017 and travel dates are Sept. 26, 2016-April 4, 2017.

For each day of theme park admission, adults in the party will receive $40 and children will receive $15 on their Quick-Service Dine Gift Cards. However, Guests will only be charged $35 per adult/per day and $12.50 per child/per day. For example, a Guest with a 3-day ticket included in their package would receive a $120 Disney Quick-Service Dine Gift Card for only $105. A child with the same ticket would receive a $45 dine gift card for only $37.50. The Quick-Service Dine Gift Cards may be redeemed at select Quick-Service Dining locations, or food carts, in Walt Disney World Theme Parks, Water Parks, Disney Springs™ and Disney Resort hotels.

You can upgrade it to standard dining up to $400 for adults and $150 for kids.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Boxman posted:

Looking at Food and Wine merch, and uhhh

This household is far too obsessed with the Three Cabelleros to let it pass. Would anyone in the thread who's going to be at Food & Wine mind picking this up for us? I'd be happy to throw in some cash for your troubles (in addition to covering the cost of the pin and shipping, obviously).

I didn't see it on the Disney Parks app. :/

I'll look for it Tuesday

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Braksgirl posted:

If you can wait until November, I'd be happy get it for you. Otherwise, someone else going soon can do it.

So there's a discount out....but it's for offsite resort guests. It's so weird.

Beginning Sept. 22, 2016, for a limited time, Guests who book a Walt Disney Travel Company package at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotels, Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World® Resort, Disney Springs™ Resort Area Hotels or a Walt Disney World Good Neighbor® Hotel with a minimum 3-day ticket, can enjoy the convenience of prepaid dining at Quick-Service Restaurant locations at Walt Disney World Resort. Booking dates for this additional package option are Sept. 22, 2016-April 1, 2017 and travel dates are Sept. 26, 2016-April 4, 2017.

For each day of theme park admission, adults in the party will receive $40 and children will receive $15 on their Quick-Service Dine Gift Cards. However, Guests will only be charged $35 per adult/per day and $12.50 per child/per day. For example, a Guest with a 3-day ticket included in their package would receive a $120 Disney Quick-Service Dine Gift Card for only $105. A child with the same ticket would receive a $45 dine gift card for only $37.50. The Quick-Service Dine Gift Cards may be redeemed at select Quick-Service Dining locations, or food carts, in Walt Disney World Theme Parks, Water Parks, Disney Springs™ and Disney Resort hotels.

You can upgrade it to standard dining up to $400 for adults and $150 for kids.

So it's like they are trying to offer a discount meal plan at resorts that don't allow meal plans. That's weird. And the deal isn't even that amazing.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yeah, it's basically "buy x amount of gift cards, get x+y gift card total". They can only be used at food places, and if I remember right they don't expire.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Braksgirl posted:

Bottom Liner posted:

I'll look for it Tuesday

You both are the best. This thread. So magical. :sparkles:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Is it sold as tres pins or uno pin?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Pretty sure it's one big pin that unfolds. There's another picture that shows it folded up. you can also see the magnets on Jose and Panchito's portions.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

couldcareless posted:

So it's like they are trying to offer a discount meal plan at resorts that don't allow meal plans. That's weird. And the deal isn't even that amazing.

No, it's not great at all. There's also an offsite room discount, or there was. I don't book much offsite so I didn't pay much attention to it.

From what I understand park attendance is down, but onsite rooms are full so this is their way of trying to get people in.

smashtcrusht
Oct 30, 2013

Internet Mature Dude
Just play stay and dine me disney cmon man. Please.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

smashtcrusht posted:

Just play stay and dine me disney cmon man. Please.

Wait a few more weeks.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Braksgirl posted:

Wait a few more weeks.

:f5:

So, logistically speaking, if a discount were to come out, would reservations in the discount window need to be cancelled and rebooked or can it just be adjusted to reflect the discount?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

nimper posted:

:f5:

So, logistically speaking, if a discount were to come out, would reservations in the discount window need to be cancelled and rebooked or can it just be adjusted to reflect the discount?

If the current reservation fits within the promo parameters AND there's availability, it can be adjusted. I do that automatically for my clients. :)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got a question...how come people freak out so much over Journey to Your Imagination? Is the original one that everyone loves so much that much different from the one we have now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Icedude posted:

I've been trying to talk myself out of going to WDW again so soon after going last year, and I think I'm failing.

I remember reading somewhere earlier in the thread that January is the recommended time to go (I thought it was in the OP, but it isn't), but I wouldn't be able to go any time before April. Is April/May a decent time to go, or would it be better to wait until about September?

I stayed at All Star Movies last time and that was perfectly fine (in fact far better than I was expecting for something labeled 'Value'), but is the upgrade to a Moderate hotel really worth it?

Staying at the All Stars is a game of Russian Roulette. Sure its the cheapest Disney option but that price also comes with complementary high school marching bands to wake you up every day at 5am.