Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Scott Walker is allergic to dogs and the New York Times is on it in a 1,200 word story with two reporters contributing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

VH4Ever posted:

So is this really the best the Democrats can do? Biden and Hillary? Oh, and maybe Martin O'Malley/real life Carcetti? Is the party really that pathetic aside from Liz or has the Clinton machine just bullied/beaten down anyone who considers running against Hillary?

What's so bad about Biden and Hillary anyway? Is it just because the right has been browbeating the left about Hillary for like thirty years, or what? There aren't any *viable* candidates that are wildly different than either of them. O'Malley is going the Edwards route, minus the infidelity, and Sanders is taking up the Kucinich mantle. Those are going to probably be the two alternate options to the generic Democrat for people who want to vote for something different.

I'll probably vote for Sanders, but I'm in Texas and my vote won't matter much by the time we get to vote.

And besides, if the GOP keeps Congress, it really won't matter which Dem is elected outside of someone reincarnating LBJ.

Joementum posted:

Scott Walker is allergic to dogs and the New York Times is on it in a 1,200 word story with two reporters contributing.

It's ok, he can just keep the dog on the roof. :woof:

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Will Donald Trump run long enough to be in a debate? I will pray to God every night if it means that will happen.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Hahaha Reagan's dogs were named Victory, Rex and Lucky because he was an All-American android built by IBM as a backup plan to the Business Plot, not an actual man.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OctoberBlues posted:

Can you really win a presidential election with extreme anti-gay views these days? I'm in Iowa and it seems that even the sane Republicans I know have finally conceded that gay people should be allowed to live as normal humans. Surely 50%+ of the population isn't going to vote for an idiot who supports the new Indiana law, right?

They think they found a dogwhistle. "no no, this isn't about hating gay people, we're just protecting religious liberty...to hate gay people.". They think that if they can keep insist that screaming at gay people that you hate fags and they should get out of your shop is a religious right, no-one will call them anti-gay.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SedanChair posted:

Hahaha Reagan's dogs were named Victory, Rex and Lucky because he was an All-American android built by IBM as a backup plan to the Business Plot, not an actual man.

Sadly RAM was not yet developed to its current capabilities.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This is a good opportunity to remind you that the Coolidge's had (among many other pets) a raccoon named Rebecca given to them by the Alabama Congressional delegation for Thanksgiving dinner one year that Grace Coolidge took affection too and kept until their guests complained that it kept clawing apart their socks and they gave it to the Washington Zoo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sir Tonk posted:

What's so bad about Biden and Hillary anyway? Is it just because the right has been browbeating the left about Hillary for like thirty years, or what? There aren't any *viable* candidates that are wildly different than either of them. O'Malley is going the Edwards route, minus the infidelity, and Sanders is taking up the Kucinich mantle. Those are going to probably be the two alternate options to the generic Democrat for people who want to vote for something different.

The real problem with Biden is that he's super old and has lost several times in a row (actually the real real problem is that a more viable candidate already exists).

People rag on him for being a drug warrior but most of that was just him sponsoring some stuff in the 80s that most of Congress also sponsored.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

This is a good opportunity to remind you that the Coolidge's had (among many other pets) a raccoon named Rebecca given to them by the Alabama Congressional delegation for Thanksgiving dinner one year that Grace Coolidge took affection too and kept until their guests complained that it kept clawing apart their socks and they gave it to the Washington Zoo.

Given Silent Cal's propensity for highly refined trolls, I imagine he gave it up with some regrets.

e: Speaking of "Grace Coolidge w/pet"

:drat:

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 1, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

The real problem with Biden is that he's super old and has lost several times in a row (actually the real real problem is that a more viable candidate already exists).

People rag on him for being a drug warrior but most of that was just him sponsoring some stuff in the 80s that most of Congress also sponsored.

I sincerely hope he's Hilary's VP

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nintendo Kid posted:

I sincerely hope he's Hilary's VP

Can Hillary and Jeb both nominate Uncle Joe for their veep slot?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Chamale posted:

Can Hillary and Jeb both nominate Uncle Joe for their veep slot?

In theory, every party contending can nominate the same VP, and that person would indeed win if they got th emajority of VP electoral votes.

Belome
Jan 1, 2013
I didn't know you could have a raccoon as a pet.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Joementum posted:

I can't vote for a man who ain't got any dog

how should I know whether I can trust him?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rocks posted:

Will Donald Trump run long enough to be in a debate? I will pray to God every night if it means that will happen.

Trump will run as long as it is profitable for him to pretend to run.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The last President to not have a pet dog was William McKinley who had a parrot, roosters, and two cats.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

zeal posted:

i too anticipate the inauguration of the first American president to have sat on the board of directors at Wal-Mart

i suppose, but the hillary/wal-mart connection was always a bit of a smear. the wal-mart board of directors meet 4 times a year and she got $15k/y for it. her record was, as the only woman executive in a business known for its discriminatory hiring, was to push for more women to be hired and improve walmart's environmental practices. i think people purposefully muddle that with huge stockholders of wal-mart trying to improve their bottom line at the expense of workers

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I knew there was a reason mckinley died.

Dog could have saved him.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

The last President to not have a pet dog was William McKinley who had a parrot, roosters, and two cats.

On some fruity poo poo.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

PupsOfWar posted:

I can't vote for a man who ain't got any dog

how should I know whether I can trust him?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Blondi was strictly medicated by an experimental cocktail of mood-altering drugs

hitler tricked him like he tricked everybody else

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Full list of dogless Presidents: McKinley, Arthur, A. Johnson, Fillmore, Taylor, Polk, W. H. Harrison, Van Buren, Jackson, J. Q. Adams*, Madison, Jefferson.

* Kept an alligator in the White House as a pet, so I'm giving him a pass.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 1, 2015

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

hot drat I never knew Blondi was a girlpup

whoever heard of a girl german shepherd?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Belome posted:

If the President does it, it's not illegal.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Going by the historical trends, I think we want a rich tall married left-handed dog owner for President.

Van Buren.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Belome posted:

Too bad Japan didn't as well.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/raccoon-nation-full-episode/7558/

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Belome posted:

yep. Guy at my college had one. he'd walk it on a cat leash

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Kasich :swoon:

quote:

The governor is confident that, in the land of freedom, we can find a way to preserve our religious freedoms and also live free from discrimination. As a member of Congress, the governor supported the 1993 federal religious freedom law signed by President Clinton on which Indiana’s law is based and, in one of his first executive orders, he prohibited discrimination in state government employment decisions, including discrimination based on sexual orientation. In our great, varied and diverse nation, Americans have always been able to find the right way to tolerate our differences and the governor is confident we’ll continue to successfully do that.

(He did take out language Strickland had put in that prohibited discrimination based on gender identity, but it's at least nice to see a Republican presidential candidate taking a pro-LGB stance. :unsmith:)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's why, maybe just at the end of the country for a minute, I want Newt.

Think of the pets.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

It's why, maybe just at the end of the country for a minute, I want Newt.

Think of the pets.

Create zoo czar position, appoint newt for life. Should keep him out of trouble

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
By the way, during the recent budget votes in the Senate, an amendment that would extend Social Security and veterans benefits to same-sex couples passed with 11 Republicans signing on.

None of the Republican Senators running for President (Paul, Rubio, Cruz, Graham) voted for it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

By the way, during the recent budget votes in the Senate, an amendment that would extend Social Security and veterans benefits to same-sex couples passed with 11 Republicans signing on.

None of the Republican Senators running for President (Paul, Rubio, Cruz, Graham) voted for it.

I really just realized how much I want it to be Graham. I want him to beat off competitors with money and flip-flopping and get to the general. And grow a big beard, and turn into his true self.

Yoked Lindsey Graham with a beard/Jeb 2016; Let's appoint John McCain Secretary of Defense

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

Wait I thought the whole point of getting rid of DOMA last year was for same-sex couples to have federal benefits. I thought that was the point of that case.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

They think they found a dogwhistle. "no no, this isn't about hating gay people, we're just protecting religious liberty...to hate gay people.". They think that if they can keep insist that screaming at gay people that you hate fags and they should get out of your shop is a religious right, no-one will call them anti-gay.

This is the loudest dogwhistle ever though. It squarely identifies the GOP as "Party of Regressive Hatemongers" and I can't imagine this would be a good thing in places like VA, FL, WI, MI, PA, CO etc. with significant populations of moderate suburban folks who might actually be swing votes.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

SedanChair posted:

I really just realized how much I want it to be Graham. I want him to beat off competitors with money and flip-flopping and get to the general. And grow a big beard, and turn into his true self.

Yoked Lindsey Graham with a beard/Jeb 2016; Let's appoint John McCain Secretary of Defense

Vote Graham 2016! We could go for another deeply rumored, possibly closeted rear end in a top hat who will bring about civil war!

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

SedanChair posted:

John McCain as SecDef would be mediocre because SecDef isn't in charge of starting wars, just prosecuting them.

We need him to be Secretary of State.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Wait I thought the whole point of getting rid of DOMA last year was for same-sex couples to have federal benefits. I thought that was the point of that case.

The amendment would extend the benefits to couples living in states which do not recognize their marriage.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

His dogs were named that because he was barely more lucid than a potato head doll.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
woops, wrong thread.

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SedanChair posted:

I really just realized how much I want it to be Graham. I want him to beat off competitors

I do declare :heysexy:

• Locked thread