Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It is just her painting her opponents negatively. The price of LNG will stall/kill any terminal not the forces of No who just don't want a million jobs.

Jerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
To be fair, I have no clue who to vote for in the next provincial elections because Quebec is corrupt as gently caress and we've got no good party.

Probably Quebec Solitaire again.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My little brother is in the CBSA and has a gun as a result. I still can't believe he wields that power.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

MonsieurChoc posted:

To be fair, I have no clue who to vote for in the next provincial elections because Quebec is corrupt as gently caress and we've got no good party.

Probably Quebec Solitaire again.

See it's great because they'll never take power so you can never be disappointed. :unsmith:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

CBSA is the most lol-worthy of gun carriers as they literally need to have a civilian PAL(R) in order to carry their piece.

CBSA officers are not police.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/popup/audio...entid=1.3418738

TPSA: It doesn't make sense to convict him, he just acted based on his training. Also interrupts host and is confrontational when pressed on an issue (likely was a police officer before)

Family Lawyer: "It is kind of ironic the major complaint by a police officer who uses lethal force is that people saw me do it, it's wrecking the fairness of the trial because they saw me do it" :vince:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
But cbsa officers need to protect themselves! Their union can tell you all about it comrade

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

jm20 posted:

TPSA: It doesn't make sense to convict him, he just acted based on his training.

We trained him to be a murderer who pulls out his gun at the slightest provocation. It's not his fault.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
That said Canada has the most lol worthy border policy of searching it's own citizens for consumer products.

No other loving country in the world gives a poo poo if their citizens come back into the country over their consumer goods limit

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

flakeloaf posted:

We trained him to be a murderer who pulls out his gun at the slightest provocation. It's not his fault.

When pressed

Host: So he was trained to shoot 5 more times after Sammy Yatim fell?
TPSA: James Forcillo acted based on the perceived threat he thought Sammy still posed which is was trained to do (paraphrase)

On the same subject, Forcillo is still happily suspended with pay. The Police Services Act needs to be reformed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Unions are good, except when they do a thing I don't like.

This makes me completely different from right-wingers who bitch about unions they don't like because.... (Please fill in the rest of the sentence, jm20)

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Won't someone think of the poor cops! Our heros in blue will get overun by the criminals if they don't have guns!

Which luckily the police are being proactive and shooting criminals who don't have guns but will surely get them illegally at some point in the future if they hadn't been shot to death by the police!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

Will Forcillo keep his job as a cop?

Under the Police Services Act, Forcillo will now be suspended with pay until the sentencing outcome. If Forcillo goes to jail, he could be suspended without pay.

Once the appeal process has ended or been exhausted, the Toronto Police Service ‎Professional Standards Unit will proceed with possible disciplinary measures, which could include Forcillo’s dismissal from the force.

Unions are cool and good.

What part of a police officer being convicted of a criminal act taking a life warrants him to continue to be employed PT6A?

I doubt you are even familiar with the abuse of process some police use the PSA to be suspended with pay while working a side job or vacationing on the public purse.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Ahhh unions. The only place in life when you can get away with murder or theft.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I knew you shared the same sentiment with the PSA Ikantski.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

jm20 posted:

Unions are cool and good.

What part of a police officer being convicted of a criminal act taking a life warrants him to continue to be employed PT6A?

I doubt you are even familiar with the abuse of process some police use the PSA to be suspended with pay while working a side job or vacationing on the public purse.

I'm saying he is entitled to whatever rights the law and his employment contract have afforded him. It's open to abuse, but so is everything. This is no reason to blame the union that negotiated those rights or weaken them unnecessarily. Do you think anti-union right-wingers don't believe their grievances with public sector unions are equally justified?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

I'm saying he is entitled to whatever rights the law and his employment contract have afforded him. It's open to abuse, but so is everything. This is no reason to blame the union that negotiated those rights or weaken them unnecessarily. Do you think anti-union right-wingers don't believe their grievances with public sector unions are equally justified?

I don't think we're allowed to empty quote in here, but this is a good post.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Right wingers hate unions because they have a me too mentality whereby they realize they don't get the same wage or benefits and don't feel others deserve better compensation. It's a race to the bottom for them, and 'let the free market decide' which is code for minimum wage, precarious employment, little to no benefits for all.

Ofcourse its open to abuse, and people absolutely have a right to complain when there is abuse of the spirit of the contract. You can't simply say it's in the contract so thats how it is. That is the same arguement Forcillo's defense uses with regards to 'the training' which is a shirk.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Unions are for labour not for the fist of the state.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

jm20 posted:

Ofcourse its open to abuse, and people absolutely have a right to complain when there is abuse of the spirit of the contract. You can't simply say it's in the contract so thats how it is.

Sure you can. That's how the law works. You don't like the contract, and that's fair. Perhaps the laws and the contract itself are deeply flawed, but they were duly agreed to, and you can't renege on it now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

jsoh posted:

Unions are for labour not for the fist of the state.

So:

PT6A posted:

Unions are good, except when they do a thing I don't like (or when they are applied to a profession I don't like).

This makes me completely different from right-wingers who bitch about unions they don't like because....

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

I'm saying he is entitled to whatever rights the law and his employment contract have afforded him. It's open to abuse, but so is everything.

Of course he's entitled to them, we're saying that the law should be changed so that future cases don't have the same abusive entitlement. There is a middle ground between rabid anti-union right wingers and Ontario cops being allowed 7 years of administrative leave with full pay/pension.

jm20 posted:

The Police Services Act needs to be reformed.

This isn't an attack on the union, it's an attack on a legal system that's open to abuse.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
People in unions are greedy and should realize they aren't worth that much! *goes to work minimum wage job*

- Literally every Conservative

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Every profession should be entitled to have a union, even the police. I don't blame the union attempting to protect their union members to the best of their ability. That's what a union is for.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dreylad posted:

See it's great because they'll never take power so you can never be disappointed. :unsmith:

A huge problem in Quebec is that we don't have a left-wing Federalist party and that the Anglophone population has been so utterly brainwashed into fearing anything even remotely separatist (despite the separatist being pretty much dead after two referendum defeats) so they'll keep voting the liberals into power despite the being both super corrupt AND super terrible.

I mean, holy poo poo, when Pauline won two years ago they reacted like she was some kind of anti-anglo Hitler that was going to kill them all. Meanwhile she'd been getting blasted by other separatists for months for not really being a separatist. Holy poo poo do English media in Quebec suck.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

THC posted:

Premier Christy Clark is dismissing opposition to the proposed Pacific Northwest LNG project near Prince Rupert.

During a media availability in Vancouver Monday, Clark labelled the recent Lelu Island Declaration signatories “the forces of no”.

The coalition of heredity First Nations leaders, elected officials, and others wants Lelu Island and nearby Flora Bank off limits to the Petronas-backed LNG terminal over concerns about Skeena salmon habitat.

Clark says the world is being divided into two camps: those who say no to everything and those that want to find a way to get to yes.

Clark says finding a way to yes, even when it’s very difficult, is the way to create jobs and a future.

The Lelu Island Declaration was the culmination of the two-day Salmon Nation Summit which saw up to 300 First Nations leaders, scientists, elected officials, and locals gather in Prince Rupert.

The old Port Edward pulp mill site is tucked in the bay behind Lelu Island. It operated for decades dumping toxic waste into the relatively enclosed bay. When I was a kid you'd melt like a Nazi in an Indiana Jones movie if you tried walking on the mud flats, assuming you were wearing a gas mask and could get close enough. The only positive thing about that mill is that they probably didn't give a crap about unsightly foam on the water and so couldn't be arsed to use mercuric chloride as a defoaming agent. If that carbuncle didn't sterilize the mouth of the Skeena nothing will. I suspect this has more to do with land control issues. First Nations are becoming a very effective counterweight to unbridled capitalism; the 1% are going to have to step up their game.

OTOH, gently caress our gassy premier and her mindless cheerleading.

Is that misogynistic? Would I say the same about a male premier? Yes, yes I would.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Ikantski posted:

Of course he's entitled to them, we're saying that the law should be changed so that future cases don't have the same abusive entitlement. There is a middle ground between rabid anti-union right wingers and Ontario cops being allowed 7 years of administrative leave with full pay/pension.

This isn't an attack on the union, it's an attack on a legal system that's open to abuse.

If they ever open that can of worms, some other nice to haves would be to increase the powers of the toothless SIU and make obstruction of their investigation an actual crime.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cultural Imperial posted:

That said Canada has the most lol worthy border policy of searching it's own citizens for consumer products.

No other loving country in the world gives a poo poo if their citizens come back into the country over their consumer goods limit

You've obviously never travelled anywhere with a somewhat sensitive ecology, Canada has some of the most relaxed customs agents on the planet.

Just lie about how many goods you're bringing in like literally everyone else does and they won't give enough of a poo poo to search your bags.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

jm20 posted:

If they ever open that can of worms, some other nice to haves would be to increase the powers of the toothless SIU and make obstruction of their investigation an actual crime.

As long as we're dreaming, maybe we could have some kind of penalties for officers who are demonstrated to have lied during their testimony too.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Somebody told me that teachers in Alberta aren't allowed to say mother and father anymore in school because it will hurt the feelings of kids who identify as attack helicopers, and anyone can use whatever change room they want, will be interesting when my kids are old enough to go to school, can't wait for a bunch of hormonal teenage boys to go into the change room with my daughter

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Nobody cares.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Do it ironically posted:

Somebody told me that teachers in Alberta aren't allowed to say mother and father anymore in school because it will hurt the feelings of kids who identify as attack helicopers, and anyone can use whatever change room they want, will be interesting when my kids are old enough to go to school, can't wait for a bunch of hormonal teenage boys to go into the change room with my daughter

lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Do it ironically posted:

Good.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I was gonna comment but then I found a much more interesting article about stuff going on in Alberta.

quote:

BREAKING Vader case will go to trial
Defence had sought a stay of proceedings
CBC News Posted: Jan 26, 2016 9:52 AM MT Last Updated: Jan 26, 2016 10:10 AM MT

Vader will go to trial in March for the deaths of St. Albert seniors Lyle and Marie McCann, a judge ruled Tuesday.

Vader's defence lawyer, Brian Beresh, applied to the court in November 2015 to stay the charges, citing numerous instances of Crown prosecutors failing to disclose evidence to the defence.

Lyle McCann, 78, and his wife Marie, 77, were last seen alive on July 3, 2010. Their Hyundai SUV was discovered 13 days later. Their bodies have never been found.

Vader, 42, was originally scheduled to go to trial for their murders in April 2014.

But according to court documents, the RCMP failed to disclose pertinent evidence to the Crown, including details about a paid informant. The disclosure problem was so serious the Crown felt compelled to stay the first-degree murder charges against Vader.

A few months before the 2014 trial was scheduled to begin, the RCMP sergeant in charge of the investigation told Crown prosecutor Michelle Doyle that key information was missing.

A month before the trial, the RCMP provided the Crown with 5,000 documents related to the case.

Doyle said the sheer volume meant it would "take days and probably weeks" to assess the material.

The information missing from disclosure packages included materials that referred to an "in-custody" informant paid $22,000 by the RCMP. The informant's name is now protected by a publication ban.

"Further concerns arose for Ms. Doyle when she began to prepare to lead evidence from ... an in-custody police agent," the Crown's brief said.

"She learned from the RCMP that there was a whole package of material about (the informant) that the RCMP had not included in the disclosure package, including statements, interviews, and multiple letters of agreement. In her words: 'This was pretty surprising, to say the least.

"The absent materials included documents reflecting the amount of money that had been paid by the RCMP to (the informant)."

The brief also said an RCMP sergeant "discovered that a collection of investigator's notes had been left sealed within a number of envelopes held in the possession ... of the forensic identification section."

The Crown's brief said no justification was offered for the failure to disclose those notes.

After the notes were found, the RCMP initiated a broad audit of disclosure.

Shortly after the abuse of process hearing began last year, Doyle testified under oath she had lost all confidence in the RCMP's ability to turn over all evidence in the double-murder investigation.

In December 2015, details of forensic exams of the McCanns' motor home and SUV were released when a publication ban was lifted by Justice Thomas.

The McCanns' vehicle was discovered 13 days after the couple vanished. RCMP said officers located items inside the SUV "consistent with trauma to the McCanns, including the blood of Marie McCann and Lyle McCann's hat with a bullet hole on it."

Investigator notes also indicate that cans of beer were found, including "one at site w/Vader DNA." Another section discloses that a beer can was found in the McCanns' SUV. A fingerprint on it was compared to Vader's right middle finger. It was then "individualized and verified" by an RCMP officer.

The documents also allege Vader was using the McCanns' cellphone at approximately 2 p.m. on July 3. RCMP allege the McCanns were killed at or near Peers, Alta on July 3.

Vader's trial on two counts of first-degree murder is scheduled to start March 8th.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Vader going to trial is certainly something. However I raise you this

quote:

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/alberta-conservatives-back-removal-of-same-sex-ban-from-party-policy/

Alberta Conservatives back removal of same-sex ban from party policy
The province’s federal Tories hope to change the policy at a spring convention

Stephanie Levitz, The Canadian Press
January 26, 2016

OTTAWA – Alberta Conservatives have joined the call to have a ban on same-sex marriage dropped from official party policy, adopting a resolution to that effect at their recent policy convention.

The move gives more weight to efforts by grassroots lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Tories to have the party’s declaration on the issue changed at this spring’s Conservative convention, which will lay the groundwork for the party’s leadership vote in 2017.

The group LGBTory wrote to interim party leader Rona Ambrose last week asking for her help on the issue, saying the policy as it stands is offensive and risks alienating voters.

This past weekend, Alberta’s card-carrying Conservative party members met to agree on what party policy changes and additions they’d like to see adopted this spring when the entire party meets in Vancouver for a policy convention.

Two electoral district associations, one in Edmonton and the other in Fort McMurray, proposed an update to the same-sex marriage policy.

The policy currently says Parliament, not the courts, should determine the definition of marriage and that the party supports legislation defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman.

In their resolution, the Fort McMurray-Cold Lake association said the first point is moot as there was a free vote in 2006 on a motion calling for such legislation and it failed.

They also said that if the party is committed to free votes on matters of conscience — of which same-sex marriage is one — it makes no sense to have a policy that takes a specific stand on the issue.

“Individual members of Parliament should be empowered to vote with their conscience in consultation with their constituents without having them biased one way or the other by their party policy declaration,” the association said.

The resolution called for the two lines that deal with same-sex marriage to be deleted from the section on social policy.

Alberta MP Michelle Rempel said she was glad to see the motion get broad support.

“It’s a very positive thing and something that’s been very positively accepted,” she said.

While the motion is a first step in getting the language dropped, there’s no guarantee it will be part of the suite of policy options Conservatives will consider this spring in Vancouver.

It’s up to the party’s national executive to determine what motions will be debated at the meeting, a process that often takes into account how many members support a particular position.

Rempel said she thinks there’s a good chance the issue will be raised in Vancouver.

“There is a quite a bit of interest in this particular resolution and I’d anticipate other riding associations across the country will try to submit similar resolutions or support one single one going to the floor,” she said.

Baird come back :qq:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-mayor-denis-coderre-energy-east-opposition-1.3413117

Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre says Energy East pipeline too risky

Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre announced the city's official opposition to proposed Energy East pipeline project Thursday, saying the potential risks outweigh its possible economic benefits to communities including his.

"We are against it because it still represents significant environmental threats and too few economic benefits for greater Montreal," said Coderre on behalf of the MMC.

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/energy-east-pipeline-rejection-is-denying-livelihood-1.3414869

Energy East rejection is 'denying the livelihood of other Canadians,' says Ambrose

quote:

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/neb-audit-cites-poor-tracking-of-pipeline-safety-compliance/

EB audit cites poor tracking of pipeline safety compliance
Annual report says the National Energy Board isn’t ensuring the safe operation of some 73,000 kilometres of pipeline

Bruce Cheadle, The Canadian Press
January 26, 2016

OTTAWA – There’s fresh fuel for the raging national pipeline debate as a new audit has found the National Energy Board is failing to track pipeline approval conditions or follow up on compliance problems.

The annual report from federal environment commissioner Julie Gelfand says the Calgary-based board isn’t adequately checking to ensure the safe operation of some 73,000 kilometres of existing oil and gas pipelines operated by about 100 companies.

The tabling of her report in Parliament on Tuesday comes as the newly returned House of Commons has begun an acrid debate over the proposed Energy East pipeline, just one of several contested projects aiming to get Alberta crude to tidewater for export.

Gelfand, in prepared speaking notes, observed that a new Pipeline Safety Act comes into force this June and she says the energy board “needs to do more to keep pace with the rapidly changing context in which it is operating.”

Her audit found that the board also needs to do more to inform the public about company compliance with pipeline approval conditions.

“Our audit concluded that the board did not adequately track companies’ implementation of pipeline approval conditions and that it was not consistently following up on company deficiencies,” Gelfand said in her remarks.

“We found that the board’s tracking systems were outdated and inefficient.”

The audit checked 49 cases and found 24 in which key documentation was missing, inaccurate or lacked an analysis or conclusion about whether conditions had been met.

Last week, municipal leaders from more than 80 Montreal-area communities publicly opposed the proposed construction of the Energy East pipeline that would carry Alberta and Saskatchewan bitumen to ports and refineries in New Brunswick. Their opposition set off a firestorm in western Canada, which has seen sharp opposition to all new or expanded pipeline routes to tidewater.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau met Tuesday morning with Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre, a former Liberal cabinet minister who is the lead spokesman for the Quebec municipal leaders who oppose a pipeline traversing their communities.

Trudeau emerged from the meeting to say energy companies will get a chance to prove to cities and towns across the country that a project is in their best interests once the Liberal government revamps the review process.

“The responsibility of the federal government is to establish a clear process whereby people can evaluate the projects in a rigorous and open manner,” Trudeau said in Montreal.

The report Tuesday from the Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development notes that federally regulated pipelines moved about $162 billion worth of oil and gas in 2014 to Canadian and international markets. It also noted that several proposed new pipelines, if all approved, would nearly double existing pipeline capacity by 2020, while investing about $25 billion in project development.

Gelfand’s report says the energy board needs to do more to recruit and retain specialists — a task that may be made easier given current massive job losses in the oil and gas sector due to plunging world oil prices.

The Liberal government has said it plans to beef up the environmental assessment of major mega-projects, with reports Tuesday suggesting it will add an evaluation of the impact on greenhouse gas emissions to the criteria.

Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr has repeatedly stressed that more consultations, particularly with First Nations, are required by the board to galvanize broad public approval of pipeline projects.

More pipelines no one will inspect until they leak, and Montreal knows how to take care of it's business :george:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

This thing that benefits Canada doesn't put a chicken in my pot so you can't have it.

Confederation, folks.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Do it ironically posted:

If you're going to troll read the official 21 page document first instead of some idiot website

https://education.alberta.ca/media/1626737/91383-attachment-1-guidelines-final.pdf

quote:

Parents and other family members with diverse sexual orientations, gender identities
and gender expressions may have experienced discrimination in the community and
may not feel welcome or included in their children’s school community.

An intentional and inclusive approach to school, family and community partnerships—
with strategies and activities that support student learning and well-being—strengthens
families, invigorates community supports and increases student success.
Indicators of this best practice in action

• School forms, websites, letters, and other communications use non-gendered and
inclusive language (e.g., parents/guardians, caregivers, families, partners, “student”
or “their” instead of Mr., Ms., Mrs., mother, father, him, her, etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

DariusLikewise posted:

If you're going to troll read the official 21 page document first instead of some idiot website

https://education.alberta.ca/media/1626737/91383-attachment-1-guidelines-final.pdf

I want to know what kind of trolls you've been talking to that take time to check the facts on their inflammatory arguments