Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Lockback posted:

You're not a fit but they are pulling you in anyway?

I know federal government jobs like this are a little different*, so the experience and connections are worth a lot. I'd ask about what they are going to do with the other position. Sounds like they intend to fill it, just not with you, so I'd set that expectation that this probably isn't a try-out for that role.

That said, getting your foot in the door in a new field can be worth the time spent.

So yeah, I'd probably use this opportunity to grill them a bit about what opportunities may be around in 6 months, or what pathways might be open to you. This is now basically you interviewing them since you'd be officially staying in your current role regardless.

*If this were private I'd tell you this is red flag territory unless you just really wanted to do that project specifically. But the federal government plays by different rules.

I agree this isn't a tryout for the posted role, but if they expand the team it would get me in line for a potential future role.

They currently have the funding for 3 FT positions. They're hoping to grow out the team and if that happens w/in a year, they say I could be offered a position without reapplying and it would have the potential to be remote. Not a lot to hang my hat on so far, but I can ask more in the meeting today.

The gig needs to be worth my delaying my job search by 6 months with a combination of money, connections, and abilities to learn the new field. The new field has rates at 50%+ my current wage, so the offer needs to be close fo what the job I applied for would pay. I'm also going to ask how formal my access to the team will be and what the mentorship opportunities will be.

I think if I play it right, I could leverage the 6 months for a good, high-impact portfolio piece, significant additions to my national network, and hopefully, have a job set up on the far-side so I don't actually have to return to my current job that I'm trying to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I mean sounds like a pretty minor downside for some great upside.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xguard86 posted:

I mean sounds like a pretty minor downside for some great upside.
I'd be inclined to consider it to be a free training course even if there's no pay bump with it. Might get a good title to go with it too.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Arquinsiel posted:

I'd be inclined to consider it to be a free training course even if there's no pay bump with it. Might get a good title to go with it too.

Yeah, though note the opportunity cost makes it not free. That said, if you are looking at doing a shift in career, staying under the fed umbrella right now might be better than being low man on the totem pole somewhere private.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I agree this isn't a tryout for the posted role, but if they expand the team it would get me in line for a potential future role.

They currently have the funding for 3 FT positions. They're hoping to grow out the team and if that happens w/in a year, they say I could be offered a position without reapplying and it would have the potential to be remote. Not a lot to hang my hat on so far, but I can ask more in the meeting today.

The gig needs to be worth my delaying my job search by 6 months with a combination of money, connections, and abilities to learn the new field. The new field has rates at 50%+ my current wage, so the offer needs to be close fo what the job I applied for would pay. I'm also going to ask how formal my access to the team will be and what the mentorship opportunities will be.

I think if I play it right, I could leverage the 6 months for a good, high-impact portfolio piece, significant additions to my national network, and hopefully, have a job set up on the far-side so I don't actually have to return to my current job that I'm trying to leave.

You may be better off posting in the government jobs thread for this one, but it seems like if your current job will be left open to return to then your risk is pretty low with some good upside, like the goon earlier mentioned.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Thanks all, I feel like this is a pretty good consolation prize to not getting the FT gig. I'm obligated to work in public service for student loan forgiveness regardless, now I'm just trying to position myself well so that I can leave the public sector with a strong portfolio and join the private sector at a more senior level. I think this position will definitely assist with that plan.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I'm talking to hr lady at Penn and she tells me the rate is 49/hr for my experience and I ask can that go up and she says no that's the rate we on a pay band or whatever. This is what I try to tell people, my job field (mri technologist) is one where pay is not negotiable.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
"I'll need a higher band so".

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Is 49 a win? Your back account won't care if you negotiated up to 49 or just started there. If it's not a win, term her and move on but it's not super unusual for companies to have strict pay bands.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Good point. Checking back that's $13 of a win, with John Hopkins offering just $42 total.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Yeah Hopkins only offered 42 and right now I make 36. Like I certainly won't be sad about 49 because I love Philly and this is exactly what I think I want. Would just like to at least try to get to haggle since I don't think the job market will ever be like this again.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If you want more than your pay band you need to argue why you should be in a higher band, usually by selling them on you taking additional responsibilities, or negotiate on non tangibles. If it’s a union thing though then there’s pretty much nothing you can do. You could also just keep looking and squeeze them with another offer; lack of flexibility costs companies candidates because of this.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I should get paid more cause I'm a warm body that applied

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Asproigerosis posted:

I should get paid more cause I'm a warm body that applied

:hmmyes:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Just take the loving Job Aspro!

No but seriously, counter saying you are valuable and have great practical expeirence whatever blabla. If they don't raise it, take it anyway since it seems like a good deal.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Another factor is that this doesn't need to be your forever job. If you take it now, and in six months you find another hospital in the city paying $65/hour, you can bounce and you still come out ahead from taking this one

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I Just turned down an offer and it felt good.

The offered 110k + 10% bonus, but the insurance is $675 biweekly, so I would have taken a net loss.

I asked for 140 expecting them to negotiate down but they said 110 is the final offer. I'm not about to take a job where insurance is $1000 more a month than I pay currently, jesus.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is that even insurance or just a link to the ACA market place?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

bamhand posted:

Is that even insurance or just a link to the ACA market place?

It's insurance through UHC. Looks like they put 50% of the cost on the employee.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

Pillowpants posted:

It's insurance through UHC. Looks like they put 50% of the cost on the employee.

So the full cost of the insurance is $2700 a month? That's insane, even for our already-garbage healthcare system. I think the most I've ever been quoted on COBRA premiums (so 100% of what was formerly partially covered by my employer) is like 500 dollars. My guess is that they are trying to discourage their employees from using their plan and just choose an ACA plan instead.

Regardless, turning down that offer seems like a great choice.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Do you have 14 dependents?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

That's an insane amount for insurance, but UHC does suck poo poo as well.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
OK so the manager was definitely not the dad of a girl with a racecar bed in the basement and I hope I didn't blow it. He brought up that the recruiter told him about me asking for 55 and they will only do the pay band 49/hr so now I'm scared this turned into an issue.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Did... did you tell the wrong dude the racecar bed story?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
No I didn't bring it up because the guy was obviously not old enough to be the father of a 30 something alt punk girl

I'm just real worried I hosed up now by having the audacity to ask for more when given the payrate for the first time in my lfe.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

No I didn't bring it up because the guy was obviously not old enough to be the father of a 30 something alt punk girl

I'm just real worried I hosed up now by having the audacity to ask for more when given the payrate for the first time in my lfe.

You didn't. They didn't gently caress up either saying "No, sorry this is the salary". They are signaling the negotiation is over. You now decide if you want the job or you want to walk. The number isn't going to change.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Lockback posted:

Do you have 14 dependents?

I have a wife and two kids. I pay 170 biweekly for medical dental and vision combined now, which I know is great but that was $635 for just medical, triple the deductible, double out of pocket max

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

You don't gently caress up by asking an employer for more money and getting turned down. Anybody who turns that into an issue fundamentally does not understand the dynamics of an employer-employee relationship and should be avoided anyway.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
So I just got an actual offer to be team lead at a company with a pretty bad reputation. I don't know why they offered me the team lead position, they had filled the job I applied for and decided to offer me the bosses job basically. I think I could totally do the job, but I don't really want to. I'm a tech and even though the role would be primarily as a tech, I'd be taking on the management responsibilites on top. The contract is also infinite hours with no overtime comp. So really I'd probably be expected to work 60+ hours.

IDK what my point is, I am just kinda overwhelmed by the fact that I was offered a management position. I definitely won't take the job as it is, but I guess I should feel flattered?

Also really liking this whole interviewing without pressure thing, hit a total homerun at an interview today, we were discussing union pay levels and the guy almost insulted me, saying that I only have <x> years experience, "how can I possibly be in <pay band y>? You go from junior, to regular to senior."
I just basically said 'You don't have to start as junior' and I think I delivered it pretty well cause the whole room chuckled and I think it made me look like a good negotiator or something.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

We have tech leads that aren't manager, is this a "You will have people reporting to you and only you" type thing?

I mean, most of our managers come out of tech lead roles but they aren't the same thing at all.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Yeah at least my company we have Tech 1, Tech 2, Tech 3, Lead Tech, and Manager. Lead Tech basically means most experienced tech as far as I know

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Lockback posted:

We have tech leads that aren't manager, is this a "You will have people reporting to you and only you" type thing?

I mean, most of our managers come out of tech lead roles but they aren't the same thing at all.

The position would have had 4 direct reports and be in charge of the internal IT department.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Using dark knowledge from this thread to negotiate rates with babysitters :black101:

Never say a number first: still true

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Hadlock posted:

Using dark knowledge from this thread to negotiate rates with babysitters :black101:

Never say a number first: still true

This made me laugh. I greatly enjoy negotiations and would barter at the supermarket if my wife allowed.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

You sound like my great uncle, who would refuse to pay the sticker price on anything and would haggle at department stores (and frequently be successful at that).

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I'm currently full time Work From Home. WFH is so wonderful, but I really dislike the daily work I do, plus I have very little work to do. I've lost all passion for my career, and I have no fulfillment.

I have an interview for a place that is 30 minutes from my house, but its the kind of work that I used to enjoy. How are people determining how much extra pay they would need to commute? Its more than just the time spent in your car and the cost of the gasoline.

I would have to wear a button down shirt and slacks every day instead of the same t-shirt 5 days in a row. I get to walk outside in my garden whenever I want. I can take a poo poo at home. If I'm in a bad mood I can play a game of Starcraft.

I'm not sure how to put a dollar value on WFH vs commuting.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My gut is whatever they're willing to pay me to do it at home they better pay me at least 25% more to leave the house.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I'm currently full time Work From Home. WFH is so wonderful, but I really dislike the daily work I do, plus I have very little work to do. I've lost all passion for my career, and I have no fulfillment.

I have an interview for a place that is 30 minutes from my house, but its the kind of work that I used to enjoy. How are people determining how much extra pay they would need to commute? Its more than just the time spent in your car and the cost of the gasoline.

I would have to wear a button down shirt and slacks every day instead of the same t-shirt 5 days in a row. I get to walk outside in my garden whenever I want. I can take a poo poo at home. If I'm in a bad mood I can play a game of Starcraft.

I'm not sure how to put a dollar value on WFH vs commuting.

I strongly recommend that you just spend less time working and find fulfilling things to do in your abundance of work-free time. No job is going to give you fulfillment for long. Its exploitation all the way down.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

I strongly recommend that you just spend less time working and find fulfilling things to do in your abundance of work-free time. No job is going to give you fulfillment for long. Its exploitation all the way down.

This. As soon as WFH is gone, you're going to regret ever giving it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I might be taking on a short 3 week software dev contract to rewrite a TypeScript microservice in Python. The contract would be with a NYC based consultancy, I don't know who the client is. I'd be working on this project after hours of my regular 40hr/week job. The consultancy is looking for 20-40 hours over those 3 weeks.

I want to negotiate on a per project-basis rather than an hourly basis. How can I frame the discussion in these terms? I have little experience in consultancy work so I'm not sure how to approach this.

e: What effective hourly rate is reasonable? I would self identify as an intermediate dev.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 13, 2022