Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

AstraSage posted:

I had to wait for the New Year's Mythril Gift to do a 11-Pull, but drat if I wasn't glad I waited.

(6/11) Minifilia's Shield (times 2), Alphie's Doublet (times 2), Papa's Gloves & Y'shtola's loving Awesome BSB.

:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

1 pull got me:

A book
A shield
A rod

Happy loving New Year!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm not sure if I should be running Minfilia as just a lifesiphon/saint's cross Knight or a breakdowns support person. I use Tyro as my Support/Sentinel Grimoire guy, and Zidane already has 2 breakdowns on his burst. It feels like her BSB actually might be a bit of a waste for me :v:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Drunk pulled last night and got Omnirod(dupe), and Y'shtola's BSB! Debated a bit and decided to pull again just now and got Medica robes(duped again!) and The Book!!! Nice! Next pulls will be on summoner draw.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
OK - time to smash out a mage team.

Maria Meteor 15 BSB, stone magic
Alphinaud Radiant Shield SSB, ???
Krile Sheepsong SSB, fire magic
Y'shtola, SS2 / BSB, wrath
Tyro - BSB, support

With an aim towards being defensively self sufficient and RW a mage BSB.

So I'm thinking I'll open with wall and tyro BSB for Max damage mitigation, wrath a whole lot and face tank for a few rounds, then when I've got enough SB bar pop sheepsong and radiant shield, marias burst and the two RWs to bring the pain. Bit slow to start but I tend to play defensively.

Any holes in this strategy that you can see? I can see it totally collapsing in the face of def piercing attacks.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Looking for some advice for a fairly new-ish player.

I got the Alphinaud SSB (deployment tactics) and Minfilia's BSB and SSB pulling on the FFXIV banner hoping for a wall or similar since I don't have one yet.

The other Breaks I have are:
Terra OSB, SSBs (Firebeam, Magitek Missiles)
Edgar OSB
Ramza SSB (Shout), SB (Tailwind)
Bartz SSB (Trueblade of legend)
Leon SSB (Darkborn Blade)
Leo SSB (Shock)
Tifa SSB (Burning Arrow)
Sabin SSB (Phantom Rush)
Garnet SSB (Divine Guardian)
Minwu SSB (Will of the white mage)
Eiko SSB (Flames of Rebirth)
Vincent SSB (Cerberus Shell)
Lighting SSB (Crushing Blow)
Sazh SSB (The Choco-Chick)
Edea SB (The inagural parade)
Y'Shtola SB (Medica II)

Are there any banners the thread would recommend saving for or pulling on? I'm mostly using Terra, Sabin, Tyro, Ramza and Edgar as the party but maybe I should replace Tyro with Minfilia since I mostly have him in my party for 5* white magic use (protectga, shellga).

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

The nutty role compression of Yoshi-Cola wrathing wall into her BSB means I can RW Onion Lad.

Which means I can now have some utterly busted setups like Zell/Vaan/Agrias/Minfilia/Y'shtola :staredog:

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
So my mage team is looking something like this:

Yshtola - Burst
Tyro - Sentinel's and breakdowns
Onion Knight - Burst
Papa lump- Leylines
Rinoa- Burst / Summons

And I'd probably still be RWing Aethereal Pulse. I might give breakdowns to OK and pull Tyro out of there and include Quistis and her burst and just keep using stoneskin with Yshtola for now. I'm sure it will change as content gets harder but so far I've been finding medica bursts to be a bit overkill if you already have heavy mitigation/ high regen up.

Changing Papalymo to Papa lump is my favorite phone auto correct ever.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

So my mage team is looking something like this:

Yshtola - Burst
Tyro - Sentinel's and breakdowns
Onion Knight - Burst
Papa lump- Leylines
Rinoa- Burst / Summons

And I'd probably still be RWing Aethereal Pulse. I might give breakdowns to OK and pull Tyro out of there and include Quistis and her burst and just keep using stoneskin with Yshtola for now. I'm sure it will change as content gets harder but so far I've been finding medica bursts to be a bit overkill if you already have heavy mitigation/ high regen up.

Changing Papalymo to Papa lump is my favorite phone auto correct ever.

I would probably dump Rinoa for Quistis unless you are doing an AOE fight and really want to bring summons, since Rinoa BSB is really old and doesn't have EnIce on it so the damage is really underwhelming.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Welp. Drunkenly double-whaled last night and it didn't work out.

Dollar pulled Papalymo's gloves.
Then 2/11 - Papalymo gloves and Minfilia's Shield with 50 mythril
Double whale got me two copies of Yshtola's robe, three Thyrus and Alphinaud's Deployment Tactics thing.

It could have gone much worse, since I've stripped the banner of everything sub-BSB minus Ysh's ProShellga, but I'm obviously a bit sad to not see a BSB.

I'm tempted to do another 50-draw when I get the currency, but it would be very, very stupid of me to do. Dunno what to save for at this point, though. A couple of pulls on Cid and save for anniversary, maybe.

I have gone from no native Wall to having it and an 8* WHM stat stick though. Results were pretty solid.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I got Ley Lines this morning!

Now what's my ideal mage team? I'm assuming I want to do something like:

Papalymo with Ley Lines
Alphinaud with Deployment Tactics
Y'shtola with Stoneskin II
Arc with Word of Kindness
Vivi with Proof of Existence

and RW an appropriate elemental BSB or just Cid Raines later on. Is there a good enough balance of damage and support here? I don't have Meltdown yet because I'm lazy as heck. Should I be bringing a physical Support character?? I dunno how this works.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

KnoxZone posted:

I would probably dump Rinoa for Quistis unless you are doing an AOE fight and really want to bring summons, since Rinoa BSB is really old and doesn't have EnIce on it so the damage is really underwhelming.

Yeah that's me being an orb miser since I already have a bunch of summons honed up and I only have one chain-ga above rank 2. If it doesn't work out I'll bite the bullet and use some of my 150-200 loving major orbs of every flavor. It will hurt me deeply though.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Did two 11s, got Ley Lines gloves and Minfilia shield both times. Since there's only three relics left on the banner that I want (BSBs, Deployment Tactics), I'm guessing it's not a good idea to keep pulling?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Did two 11s, two Omnirods, the Medica II thingy, and a Curtana. Pretty nice, but will probably throw another roll in if I get up to 50 while the banner is still there, or just a couple of threes because there is some really good stuff in there.

Holy weak bosses are just going to melt from now on unless they also have some huge gimmick. I hope I get an Imperil Holy some day.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
2/11. Thyrus (dupe; I now have a 7* white mage statstick for XIV) and Holy Shield (XIV).

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Happy new year, everyone, may 2017's RNG look fondly upon you :toot:

Kanos posted:

Going hard on powerful banners getting a lot of powerful poo poo means you have a lot more freedom to pull on less powerful banners to gear your favorites in the future. If you've already got stuff like trinity and good healer BSBs and good damage BSBs you can instead focus on pulling stuff for your weird favorite stuff like wanting to make the best Josef ever or something without compromising your ability to do the difficult content.

That's true and I'm definitely thankful for have too many choices instead of too little; overall, the gacha has been unfairly kind to me so I'm not wanting for the basics. It's just very #FirstWorldProblems that I feel a little aimless about shinies to get hype about :shobon: And 14 is a rare enough realm that I'm not sure how useful a lot of this stuff will be as stat sticks.

That and I'd gotten both of Alphinaud's things, Pap's faithga, and Y'shtola's BSB at a reasonable number of pulls but I just had to keep going for Minphilia's BSB like an idiot. Sunk whale fallacy sucks.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I kinda wanted to pull on XIII's second banner for Cid's BSB, but I'm at 52 mythril right now and I think I'll just wait and try to double pull on the upcoming nightmare banner instead, which should hopefully take my mage team from "not bad" to something really nasty. I guess if I get everything I want from one pull I'd use the other on Tactics or the VII banner, since nothing else that's coming up until the 2nd anniversary banner really excites me very much.

I'm still a little torn on how to approach the white mage role for my mage team. I've got Vanille's BSB, but I also have Yshtola's Wall now. Bringing wall without a medica (unless I do a weak shared one, I guess) seems really risky, but maybe it's not so bad with an all-backline team? Would let me RW OK or another burst to shore up my damage.

Or I bring Vanille and keep RWing Wall like usual, I guess.

How crazy / dumb would it be to try to kit out Yshtola in black mage gear to bring Wall and just RW some DPS with her?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I kinda wanted to pull on XIII's second banner for Cid's BSB, but I'm at 52 mythril right now and I think I'll just wait and try to double pull on the upcoming nightmare banner instead, which should hopefully take my mage team from "not bad" to something really nasty. I guess if I get everything I want from one pull I'd use the other on Tactics or the VII banner, since nothing else that's coming up until the 2nd anniversary banner really excites me very much.

I'm still a little torn on how to approach the white mage role for my mage team. I've got Vanille's BSB, but I also have Yshtola's Wall now. Bringing wall without a medica (unless I do a weak shared one, I guess) seems really risky, but maybe it's not so bad with an all-backline team? Would let me RW OK or another burst to shore up my damage.

Or I bring Vanille and keep RWing Wall like usual, I guess.

How crazy / dumb would it be to try to kit out Yshtola in black mage gear to bring Wall and just RW some DPS with her?

Y'shtola summoning OK BSB and just spamming command 2 in black Mage kit between wall casts is surprisingly effective actually. She has solid second-tier-Mage +Mag, which is more than enough to get the job done - it's a bit more of a turtle team comp than usual, but outside of some serious damage race fights, very effective.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i did one pull and got yshtola bsb and thyrus. there's my first wall!

i'm set for white mages, have vanille and selphie bsbs too

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Out of morbid curiosity, when's the next time the damage barrier on Y'shtola's BSB reoccurs on another character?

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
So many events, so little stamina. I might have to actually drop some mythril on stamina refreshes :negative:

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.
3 11-pulls and a dollar yields... 6/34.

Holy Shield, Evoker's Doublet, Thyrus, 2x Curtana, and a Veil of Wiyu! :woop:

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
And my second pull yields...an Omnirod. Yeah, gently caress you too, game.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Alright, now that I was able to make all of my pulls the results are in and I am drat satisfied.

Nothing for the dollar draw, of course, and the first two pulls were 2/11 Healer's Robe and Evoker's Doublet followed by a 2/11 Omnirod and Holy Shield. Third pull . . .

Just exactly what I wanted. Can't even be mad about the Dupe shield as that's more XIV armor. And overall I pulled enough stuff, along with the Thryus I got out of the Orbfest to make Y'shtola quite viable to use too. Not as good as she'd be if I had her Burst but oh well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wait which thing is Y'shtola's wall? I have 59 mith left and I'm debating doing one more pull.

I've pulled 3 shields, 1 Omni rod, 1 of Y'shtola's robes so far 😐

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

thyrus

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well poo poo... to pull or not to pull...

I already have Aeriths BSB and I just got shout....

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Well poo poo... to pull or not to pull...

I already have Aeriths BSB and I just got shout....

Nope. You have a good white mage BSB and you have shout, so unless you're going to run 2 white mages (you shouldn't) it would be pointless. Or at least, don't pull just for wall.

You can always RW wall.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Combo posted:

Nope. You have a good white mage BSB and you have shout, so unless you're going to run 2 white mages (you shouldn't) it would be pointless. Or at least, don't pull just for wall.

You can always RW wall.

Yeah ok that's what I figured.

I mean I probably shouldn't have drunk pulled those 2 pulls last night but... yeah.

Sir Bruce
Jul 8, 2004

1/11 on phase 3 - Eiko BSB! My target from the banner and my first healer BSB. Maybe it's time to rotate Y'shtola out of the A-Team?

1/11 on FFXIV - Y'shtola BSB! Your benching lasted about 5 minutes, cat lady.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Alxprit posted:

Out of morbid curiosity, when's the next time the damage barrier on Y'shtola's BSB reoccurs on another character?

First recurrence of Stoneskin is on Ramza's Chant (Stoneskin/+50% crit damage) on the second FFT banner coming at the end of the month. The other, and only, recurrence of the effect not on Y'shtola or Ramza is on Larsa, during the Vayne 1 banner.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

First recurrence of Stoneskin is on Ramza's Chant (Stoneskin/+50% crit damage) on the second FFT banner coming at the end of the month. The other, and only, recurrence of the effect not on Y'shtola or Ramza is on Larsa, during the Vayne 1 banner.

There's also some single target Stoneskin stuff like Golbez BSB

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Alphinaud was every goon in middle/high school, utterly convinced of how much smarter he was than absolutely everyone

He learned his lesson and became a pretty cool little dude though!

He's Dougie Houser: Eorzea Edition. Also he saw Y'shtola naked and memorized the image thoroughly because he is still just a teenage boy after all. Complete with his inability to not mention said memory in front of Y'shtola. :allears:

Beasteh posted:

The nutty role compression of Yoshi-Cola wrathing wall into her BSB means I can RW Onion Lad.

Which means I can now have some utterly busted setups like Zell/Vaan/Agrias/Minfilia/Y'shtola :staredog:

How many turns is it taking you to have her BSB ready usually? Wall -> Wrath -> Wrath -> BSB is up?

If I can forgo Tyro for SG then I could do some setups like:

Magic - Maria/Papalymo/Alphinaud/Terra/Y'shtola
Melee - Tidus/Vaan/Ramza/Noel/Y'shtola <- everyone here has a BSB, too. :v:

Magic team wouldn't be amazing unless I RW Maria/Ashe/Alphinaud/etc style en-element BSBs but there's no reason for me not to do so in fights where people can live long enough for Y'shtola to get her BSB up, and considering 3 of the members have white 4 I could even make the others bring shell/protect or whatever. I'd need to hone chain firaga/stonega to at least r3 (don't think I have orbs to r4 both) as well for Maria and Terra and put some -jas to r4 or r5 which is less of an issue. Meanwhile the melee team would already be good to go though I could probably drop Noel for someone else if I'd want or need more damage or other options since Ramza could still cover full break in place of Noel's full breakdown. Magic could also replace Terra with Tyro, who'd cover SG and support duties while letting the mages focus entirely on murder and Y'shtola on healing. I'll have to see which works better by testing them on Exdeath once orbfest has ended.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I'd use MM/DMT on Y'shtola and her BSB is online after 3 or 4 turns depending on if she gets hit. Then it's a case of cycling wall/BSB with her commands

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Gah I never have enough holy orbs. Should I prioritize R2 Saint's Cross or R2 Multibreak? I have a nuts holy knight team with 2 different imperils so Saint's Cross is definitely an MVP skill, but at the same time I feel like 2 casts of Multibreak is rarely enough in fights where I actually need to bring it in the first place.

Don't think I'm going to end up with enough orbs for both unless I get insanely lucky in these last 3 days.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Gah I never have enough holy orbs. Should I prioritize R2 Saint's Cross or R2 Multibreak? I have a nuts holy knight team with 2 different imperils so Saint's Cross is definitely an MVP skill, but at the same time I feel like 2 casts of Multibreak is rarely enough in fights where I actually need to bring it in the first place.

Don't think I'm going to end up with enough orbs for both unless I get insanely lucky in these last 3 days.

Both.

Saint Cross first if you have R2 full break for sure. Probably even if you don't. So many knight 5 users you'll want to bring, so few dancers. And the battles when you could use the multi-break, you can still just go for the R4 dance skills to mitigate or just use single-target breakdowns/full break on the most dangerous target(s).

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
So wait, who is "that certain heroine" Nomura refers to in the New Years Dev Message?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Black Mage Knight posted:

So wait, who is "that certain heroine" Nomura refers to in the New Years Dev Message?

Lady tyro.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Are Chocobo Wing's stats any good at level 20, or should i just stick it in the vault?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Grozz Nuy posted:

Are Chocobo Wing's stats any good at level 20, or should i just stick it in the vault?

its something like 81 atk, so closer to a 4*+++ than a natural 5*

• Locked thread