Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MononcQc posted:

As one of the only remote employees at <current workplace>, nobody sends me meeting invites unless they really need me there because they all hate getting on a conference call rather than just in a conference room. I don't know if it's a good thing or not so far.

Why don't they all go into a conference room and you can call the room phone and they can put it on speaker? This worked fine for me whenever I had to have remote people at meetings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Got the phone screen in 10 minutes, hope this goes well.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

Why don't they all go into a conference room and you can call the room phone and they can put it on speaker? This worked fine for me whenever I had to have remote people at meetings.

That's the one thing I never figured out. Any other team in another business uses chat or email or goes to a conference room and are fine just CC'ing other people. These folks (at least in the main office -- satellite offices are fine) really do everything face to face. This is a ~1000 employees company, with maybe 400 developers. I receive nearly no e-mail aside from people telling others that their tires are flat in the parking lot or that a phone has been found on floor 4. They otherwise use Skype for Business for conference calls (every room has giant microsoft surfaces) but most people don't really use them aside as a way to e-mail their whiteboard drawings to each other.

So I can call into the meeting rooms, but I have to be aware there is one first. They seem to be mostly improvised, or the schedule is known by tribal knowledge which you can't get if you're not there.

I've never really seen that kind of thing before at a tech company. If they ever get in a big lawsuit, there's gonna be nearly nothing but kanban boards to subpoena!

That's really made "being the sole remote employee" a lot harder than what it would have been in any other company. I ended up being more focused on their satellite offices because they see the same problems with regards to the mothership, so they're more open to non-face-to-face communication to begin with.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 23, 2017

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ThePeavstenator posted:

Got the phone screen in 10 minutes, hope this goes well.

gl friend

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

"I'll pass this along to the hiring team, expect to hear from us within a week."

The HR guy also asked about pay. I feel like I went a little too hard on the figgies for what's essentially an entry-level position.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ThePeavstenator posted:

The HR guy also asked about pay. I feel like I went a little too hard on the figgies for what's essentially an entry-level position.

people with skills want more money, asking for very little money just identifies you as someone without significant skills

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

people with skills want more money, asking for very little money just identifies you as someone without significant skills

I mean I'm operating with less than 3 years of experience and that includes my time as an intern. IDK maybe I'm doubting myself too much.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

if they thought you were poo poo they wouldnt have bothered interviewing you. a few k extra per year over what they ideally wanted to pay is nothing compared to the potential loss of a position sitting empty, or having to take up more time with recruitment.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Thanks Ants posted:

if they thought you were poo poo they wouldnt have bothered interviewing you. a few k extra per year over what they ideally wanted to pay is nothing compared to the potential loss of a position sitting empty, or having to take up more time with recruitment.

It was a phone screen.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ThePeavstenator posted:

It was a phone screen.

Skipping dinner in favor of taking in the rear end on a first date will not get him to marry you. Interviews are the same way. Don't be anyone's bitch.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

thats what i get for reading.

if they want you but you went in too high then they can always throw their figure out there. if they shitcan the whole process over it then bullet dodged i guess.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah also "hire, but only if this person is cheap" is not a situation you want to be in to begin with.

maybe don't ask for 200% of the median developer-at-your-experience-level salary in that area but push the envelope a bit.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ThePeavstenator posted:

I mean I'm operating with less than 3 years of experience and that includes my time as an intern. IDK maybe I'm doubting myself too much.

short story time: My first programming job was with ~ 1 year of experience, but that experience was mostly just loving around optimizing things at my job. All I'd really done was build a CMS in Rails.

I was able to get a job paying 63k/year, and they paid to relocate me from california to north carolina. This was around 1 year after I originally posted the terrible programmer thread, so if you want to see how bad I was at programming at the time, go read the OP of the terrible programmer thread.

don't shortsell yourself.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I took the average that recent graduates make from my school/major combo and added like 10% so I'm probably just overreacting.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

New company is pretty good, they are all really smart guys but there's a couple of scary disconnects between sales and development. Was chatting with the CEO about it and he agreed was like "yeah, r&d sometimes don't seem to understand that sales requirements very often drives priorities". He then drove me home.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qhat posted:

New company is pretty good, they are all really smart guys but there's a couple of scary disconnects between sales and development. Was chatting with the CEO about it and he agreed was like "yeah, r&d sometimes don't seem to understand that sales requirements very often drives priorities". He then drove me home.

the sun also rises in the east

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

the sun also rises in the east

Well to a large extent it's true, but I think the problem is sales have legitimate requests from customers that will actually drive sales, but that development are unable to deliver because of low resources. Like I don't know all the facts, but definitely there's a bit of overpromising somewhere along the line.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qhat posted:

Did he get fresh with you?

:ohdear:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qhat posted:

but definitely there's a bit of overpromising somewhere along the line.

grats on finding a place that only overpromises 'a bit'

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Schadenboner posted:

Did he get fresh with you?

:ohdear:

No he really likes me.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qhat posted:

No he really likes me.

Some CEOs will say anything to get in your pants. If he really did like you he'd respect your decision.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qhat posted:

Well to a large extent it's true, but I think the problem is sales have legitimate requests from customers that will actually drive sales, but that development are unable to deliver because of low resources. Like I don't know all the facts, but definitely there's a bit of overpromising somewhere along the line.

this is why product management exists

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

hobbesmaster posted:

this is why product management exists

as far as i can tell our product management exists so our engineers can say "this needs to be prioritized by product" on bug tickets where it's not at all clear who the product manager for something is (they appear to change every 3 months if they even exist at all)

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
product management exists to go to meetings with executives and tell them what you're up to so you don't have to. the downside is that the execs will usually ask the pm to pile on more poo poo, and since the pm isn't the one building it, they just say "ok sure"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

JewKiller 3000 posted:

product management exists to go to meetings with executives and tell them what you're up to so you don't have to. the downside is that the execs will usually ask the pm to pile on more poo poo, and since the pm isn't the one building it, they just say "ok sure"

ding ding ding

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
Day 4/30 of unemployment sabbatical was spent riding bikes around nashville and drinking beers with trump supporters at honky tonk

low point of the day was hearing a dozen phantom google hangout noises like I was back at work and getting a rush of anxiety

thanks for reading

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

im a product manager :getin:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

fivehead posted:

Day 4/30 of unemployment sabbatical was spent riding bikes around nashville and drinking beers with trump supporters at honky tonk

low point of the day was hearing a dozen phantom google hangout noises like I was back at work and getting a rush of anxiety

thanks for reading

I've definitely done this. My advice for traveling in the south: avoid the Trump topic for as long as poss.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

qhat posted:

I've definitely done this. My advice for traveling in the south: avoid the Trump topic for as long as poss.

imo do you civic duty and let trump supporters know that they are wrong

it's easy!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

imo do you civic duty and let trump supporters know that they are wrong

it's easy!

Or just enjoy getting shitfaced with people who are usually cool apart from the fact they support a proper oval office for president.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fart simpson posted:

im a product manager :getin:

i bet you manage some product iykwim

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Interviewing a guy I really want at 9 today!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i hope his .net is needs suiting

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
waiting to hear back is the worst. will I be moving in a fortnight? who knows!

I'll just :f5: my email for about a week.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

leper khan posted:

waiting to hear back is the worst. will I be moving in a fortnight? who knows!

I'll just :f5: my email for about a week.

loving agreed

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

redleader posted:

i hope his .net is needs suiting

He doesn't suck! He's only slightly socially awkward and is younger than 50! I offered 1.5x the figgies my boss wanted to spend to him and he accepted. The boss' wasn't happy about the figgies but gently caress them, they need to learn how much good engineering costs.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
sorry you have to provide hazard pay for people to work on .net

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

sorry you have to provide hazard pay for people to work on .net

He's a real programmer. C++ and C. He won't be touching .net.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ratbert90 posted:

He doesn't suck! He's only slightly socially awkward and is younger than 50! I offered 1.5x the figgies my boss wanted to spend to him and he accepted. The boss' wasn't happy about the figgies but gently caress them, they need to learn how much good engineering costs.

Does your boss not understand the market rates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qhat posted:

Does your boss not understand the market rates?

you can be unhappy about the cost of something and accept that that's the price at the same time

• Locked thread