Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Stux posted:

no i dont think thats accurate at all, especially in the example i was using of dark souls. you certainly dont have to pull your punches and gimp yourself for that game haha :)

In Dark Souls if you get the strongest two handed sword there's no reason to use a less strong two handed sword.

Edit: dark souls isn't an example of an open world game what the gently caress are you talking about.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bombadilillo posted:

Now that I beat Zelda, aside from snipping some clips it will probably gather dust until Mario Kart. Also like 5 Top Tier games came out on other systems, a lot of which are huge time sinks.

I'm so excited to play MK8 on the go or at home, it's going to be the best Mario Kart.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I've played all the Dark Souls game I don't think I even knew there was a durability system

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

socialsecurity posted:

Guess we could talk about all the other games...

Or at least not post Zelda spoilers. :shrug:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I still think battle mode is gonna suck because I've seen no evidence of a "stock - no time limit mode", just different point modes, and no block fort.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Tender Bender posted:

In Dark Souls if you get the strongest two handed sword there's no reason to use a less strong two handed sword.

This is complaint I have about Dark Souls. Its not a plus for Zelda though. Their solution to the problem is also bad in a different way.

In Zelda If I use the strongest sword the games says "enough fun having, and takes it away". This game already has build in elemental weapons and crushing/piercing weak enemies. It HAS the tools to encourage "experimentation" and using different weapons. But it doesn't it punished you for using a good weapon.

Kashuno posted:

I've played all the Dark Souls game I don't think I even knew there was a durability system

They got more lenient on durability every game to the point where it shouldn't even exist anymore. And it doesn't for most players outside of some niche PvP rear end in a top hat corrosion builds (which I don't even know if they were in 3)

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 22, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How is giving you a temporary damage boost a punishment?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's not really punishing when you can get an infinite number of any weapon in the game

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

The Bloop posted:

I loved the giant boomerang too. I assume there's more than one in the game.

I know stuck-in-the-ground weapons seem to respawn when monsters do, but I'm not sure about chests. I also don't remember where that big boomer was. I wasn't yet keeping track of stuff like that when I found it.

I've seen several:

The Giant Boomerang itself, several versions of the Lizal Boomerangs with each one having one more blade than the last and the boomerang you get from the Toon Link amiibo I believe.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
My joy cons work perfectly from behind my back in the master bathroom, with three walls, a closet full of coats, and twenty-five feet between them and the Switch. I think I'm good.

I'm also good with weapon durability. I think I've hit all the relevant topics of the day.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

parallelodad posted:

How is giving you a temporary damage boost a punishment?

You have to have a baseline to get a boost.

Kashuno posted:

It's not really punishing when you can get an infinite number of any weapon in the game

Tedium is a punishment.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I misread that as "Master ballroom" and thought you were bragging about wealth.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

Guess we could talk about all the other games...

I like Human Resource Machine

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Bombadilillo posted:

In Zelda If I use the strongest sword the games says "enough fun having, and takes it away". This game already has build in elemental weapons and crushing/piercing weak enemies. It HAS the tools to encourage "experimentation" and using different weapons. But it doesn't it punished you for using a good weapon.

I dunno man, beating bokoblins with sticks and rocks is pretty fun.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Played Binding of Isaac for 20 minutes after I finished lunch. I'm in over my head.

Please give me 5 tips that I didn't learn in the first 3 attempts.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

You have to have a baseline to get a boost.

Tedium is a punishment.

I mean if you have some sort of elemental weakness then just hit them with an arrow?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

This is complaint I have about Dark Souls. Its not a plus for Zelda though. Their solution to the problem is also bad in a different way.

It doesn't punish you though? Weapons are consumable. This is like saying the game punishes you for firing an arrow because you don't have the arrow anymore.

You keep harping on experimentation, but that's only part of the reason for durability. Weapons being consumable is a fundamental part of the game. Breath of the Wild is constructed around constantly giving you small rewards, it has a very quick flow to it. Whether it's a Shrine, or a Korok, or getting a neat weapon from an enemy camp, you can play for five minutes and feel like you did something. The entire game is built around that and part of that would be removed if weapons were permanent because rather than weapons being a constant resource they would just be part of the useless loot overload that most open world games have.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Beastie posted:

Played Binding of Isaac for 20 minutes after I finished lunch. I'm in over my head.

It's an unforgiving roguelike that looks like a perpetual 2D zelda dungeon. I don't think you'll have much fun if that playstyle isn't for you.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

incoherent posted:

It's an unforgiving roguelike that looks like a perpetual 2D dungeon. I don't think you'll have much fun if that playstyle isn't for you.

Oh I had fun, and I enjoy roguelikes. I just was lost the first three times. I suppose I'll get used to it if I try and play it at "not work."

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

It doesn't punish you though? Weapons are consumable. This is like saying the game punishes you for firing an arrow because you don't have the arrow anymore.

You keep harping on experimentation, but that's only part of the reason for durability. Weapons being consumable is a fundamental part of the game. Breath of the Wild is constructed around constantly giving you small rewards, it has a very quick flow to it. Whether it's a Shrine, or a Korok, or getting a neat weapon from an enemy camp, you can play for five minutes and feel like you did something. The entire game is built around that and part of that would be removed if weapons were permanent because rather than weapons being a constant resource they would just be part of the useless loot overload that most open world games have.

Yet it literally has useless loot overload.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
What if the weapons had modifiers with durability, but the base weapons were unbreakable, or would last longer?

One handed sharp sword (1.3x damage) would become a normal 1x sword gradually after, let's say 30 uses, maybe keep going until it becomes a dull sword that does 0.5 damage or something.

The modifiers could of course be more inventive than just straight damage boosts.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Wheany posted:

What if the weapons had modifiers with durability, but the base weapons were unbreakable, or would last longer?

One handed sharp sword (1.3x damage) would become a normal 1x sword gradually after, let's say 30 uses, maybe keep going until it becomes a dull sword that does 0.5 damage or something.

The modifiers could of course be more inventive than just straight damage boosts.

This is far worse

Bombadilillo posted:

explain

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Beastie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgyk71VRoUE

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Oh drat that means they should blow up the system the entire game is built around.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When are they going to add eshop games shot system

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Kashuno posted:

This is far worse

Why?

This sword does more damage, but this other sword has a chance to cause a cucko attack, lol!

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
Got an actual Switch question for the Switch Thread.

What are people using as travel AC adapters? I don't mind buying another Nintendo one, but it's kinda bulky. I'd rather not pay $70 for an Apple power adapter though. Is there a middle ground?

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Why is Boi not on EU eshop and when will it be? I know I can just make an NA account but wtf?.

Also I'm strangely ashamed that I'm far better at shovel knight if I play portable with the analog stick vs tv and pro controller. I'm a monster.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

don't let yourself get bogged down comparing a project you haven't started yet to something that's had 6 years of trial and error behind it.

eonwe posted:

ya, BoI is very different today than it was early on

Yeah, I just have to be more ambitious, because the indie game bar is getting higher and higher.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

You can at least be sure that whatever you come up with won't have a gross aesthetic like Binding of Isaac does

I'm glad I didn't find it as off-putting as I thought I would at first. Generally ignorable, and I do get a chuckle from some of the cutscenes.

Infinitum posted:

Gonna have to invest in one of those goose neck mounts eventually I think, but it feels so loving good in handheld mode with both joycons attached.

I have a gooseneck mount, but I find myself using a small third-party stand in favor of it.

Turns out that a small stand on my belly and an extra pillow under my head is preferable to a floating system -- I think the distances just work out better or something.

But it has the added bonus of being able to prop the system up sideways when I want to lay on either side.

Split JoyCon bed-play is the best.

parallelodad posted:

I still think battle mode is gonna suck because I've seen no evidence of a "stock - no time limit mode", just different point modes, and no block fort.

This makes me sad. Not sad enough to not buy the game (I haven't played regular Mario Kart 8), but less excited about buying it.

Especially considering how easy I'm convinced it would be to implement from a technical perspective. They're deliberately depriving me of my favorite game mode.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

Oh drat that means they should blow up the system the entire game is built around.

You brought up the term as to why its good. Guess you should blow up the bad system you have to defend.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

You brought up the term as to why its good. Guess you should blow up the bad system you have to defend.

You keep harping on experimentation, but that's only part of the reason for durability. Weapons being consumable is a fundamental part of the game. Breath of the Wild is constructed around constantly giving you small rewards, it has a very quick flow to it. Whether it's a Shrine, or a Korok, or getting a neat weapon from an enemy camp, you can play for five minutes and feel like you did something. The entire game is built around that and part of that would be removed if weapons were permanent.

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

You keep harping on experimentation, but that's only part of the reason for durability. Weapons being consumable is a fundamental part of the game. Breath of the Wild is constructed around constantly giving you small rewards, it has a very quick flow to it. Whether it's a Shrine, or a Korok, or getting a neat weapon from an enemy camp, you can play for five minutes and feel like you did something. The entire game is built around that and part of that would be removed if weapons were permanent.

I was initially really bummed when i heard about the weapon durability in BOTW and ended up loving it for this exact reason. All (well very nearly all) enemies carry a replacement, lots of options to make do If you're trying to conserve them, extra damage if you throw it before it breaks. It just works™.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It gives you far more incentive to do silly things with your runes, too. Anything that encourages the player to crush bokoblins with big rocks is good imo.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Earth Table posted:

I've been noticing that when my TV (nothing fancy or out of the ordinary; just a standard, not-smart 40something'' LG I got from Target) is on another input, sometimes the notifcation window will pop up saying that it's found a new connection to HDMI2, where my Switch is docked and on sleep mode. Obviously, It does this when the Switch is newly docked, but it will curiously do it even when it's been docked all day. Has anyone else run into this issue? My PS4 never does it despite being constantly plugged in and on sleep mode as well.

From a few pages ago but yes, I've had this happen a few times. I have a HDMI hub/switcher (from back when I had 1 HDMI port on my TV) and it'll randomly change to the Switch, also happens reliably when I dock it if it's off. It's gotten so bad I've just plugged it directly into the TV.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Shovel Knight is in that yooka laylee game BUY BUY BUY

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

BDawg posted:

Got an actual Switch question for the Switch Thread.

What are people using as travel AC adapters? I don't mind buying another Nintendo one, but it's kinda bulky. I'd rather not pay $70 for an Apple power adapter though. Is there a middle ground?

I'm using https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01422TC14/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S8GU2OC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it works fine when I'm playing on my couch. I'm probably not going to buy a separate travel adapter.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

For those of you with the HDMI switching issues, do you have CEC turned on or off?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The giant frog boss in Master Blaster Zero was kicking my rear end. I think it's name was RibbiRoll or something. I'm hoping Bloodstained will be good as a not-Castlevania when that comes out

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Dunno if anyone has seen this:

https://www.amazon.com/Darksiders-Warmastered-Wii-U/dp/B01JCUV214/ref=sr_1_19?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1490218548&sr=1-19&th=1

Looks like Zelda isn't the last Wii U game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The giant frog boss in Master Blaster Zero was kicking my rear end. I think it's name was RibbiRoll or something. I'm hoping Bloodstained will be good as a not-Castlevania when that comes out

If you stay in the right corner he can't even touch you

• Locked thread