Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sum posted:

Scrub here: I'm good enough at not being dumb to consistently end up around the top 20 or 10 but not good enough to not be brutally merked by players much better than me once I get there. How do I Get Good

Matchmaking is based on elo, so the players in the top 10 are not actually much better than you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

qkkl posted:

Matchmaking is based on elo, so the players in the top 10 are not actually much better than you.

well, unless you're in the bottom of the poo poo tier.

i don't think you can actually lose rating so everybody from the semi-vegetable playing with one hand, to mouthbreathers who can sort of aim, will be fighting in that wide range

it's probably the one elo range with the biggest discrepancy in skills

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zo posted:

well, unless you're in the bottom of the poo poo tier.

i don't think you can actually lose rating so everybody from the semi-vegetable playing with one hand, to mouthbreathers who can sort of aim, will be fighting in that wide range

it's probably the one elo range with the biggest discrepancy in skills

You can definitely lose rating in elo-based systems. One way to check to see if you are playing with equally skilled players is to look up the stats on whoever kills you, and compare them to your own.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

qkkl posted:

You can definitely lose rating in elo-based systems. One way to check to see if you are playing with equally skilled players is to look up the stats on whoever kills you, and compare them to your own.

yes, but not all elo systems are the same. for example in chess, the elo distribution is a nice binomial plot, whereas in pubg the starting rating of 1200 is pretty much a hard floor, aside from some people who intentionally​ lose games or something

see the distribution at https://pubgtracker.com/insights/skillrating

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
also checking your own stats is pretty fun, since these sites do gamewide comparisons

for example, i have a 12% win rate in duos, which is pretty good, with an average survival time of 10 minutes, which is in the lowest 6% of players (meaning i die on average faster than 94% of players)

this is completely consistent our strategy of dropping into school 100% of the time and trying to kill everybody in there every game. we either die right away or come out in an excellent position to win.

Doorselfin
Dec 18, 2004

You broke my sitar, motherfucker.
I just got swarmed by three guys joyriding in a UAZ within a solo game. Only managed to take one out before getting killed, but man. I admire their coordination.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Zo posted:

yes, but not all elo systems are the same. for example in chess, the elo distribution is a nice binomial plot, whereas in pubg the starting rating of 1200 is pretty much a hard floor, aside from some people who intentionally​ lose games or something

see the distribution at https://pubgtracker.com/insights/skillrating

At one point in duo's a mate and I got matched against the number 1 OC duo player twice.

He killed us as the last team left in the game, we were pretty pumped.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Hipfired two dudes with my kar at the start of the game, looted an 8x and a silencer off them and went on a tear

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Parallel Playa posted:

Hipfired two dudes with my kar at the start of the game, looted an 8x and a silencer off them and went on a tear

:vince:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
dam son

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Game is crashing loads for me recently. Anyone have a similar experience and/or hopefully a fix?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I haven't solo'd since the reset, so I went ahead and did that today. 11 kills, all with the UMP even though I had an AK on my back for the first half and an SKS for the second. And I got the W. Man, low tier MMR is a joke.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Babe Magnet posted:

if the answer is not "I'm already in it", wrong answer

Stay on the edge of the circle, pick a direction to move in that's not straight in, move purposefully, clear as you move so you know where you're safe.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Hiding in a house, hear a motorcycle coming. Walk out the door facing the bike, zoom in with a 2x... Put 3-4 m16 shots into a person. He hops off shoots me in the head with an UMP I die.

I am poo poo

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I hope everyone is taking advantage of the ability to quick switch seats in cars to quickly begin shooting at someone while driving.

I was in a Dacia yesterday and chased down a guy on a bike, switched to the passenger seat and easily lit him up, switched back and drove away~

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I know twitch streamers are the bane of every right-thinking red-blooded man, woman, and child- but I really like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxHLfCb7nJc

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

nerve posted:

I hope everyone is taking advantage of the ability to quick switch seats in cars to quickly begin shooting at someone while driving.

I was in a Dacia yesterday and chased down a guy on a bike, switched to the passenger seat and easily lit him up, switched back and drove away~

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/149650013

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

fyallm posted:

Hiding in a house, hear a motorcycle coming. Walk out the door facing the bike, zoom in with a 2x... Put 3-4 m16 shots into a person. He hops off shoots me in the head with an UMP I die.

I am poo poo

Dude tried to run me down with a motorbike the other day. He didn't seem to realize I had an Uzi...

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Bobbin Threadbear posted:

*Responds to a 10 page ago post*

Owned :smuggo:

I thought you said you were done with this thread?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Sometimes the force is just not with you.

Started off the night with a bunch of so-so games. Pretty standard for me. Handful of kills each match and a few top ten finishes. When the crashes started happening I took a break. Chicken dinnered the first game back. After that it was just a poo poo show of dropping into military base or Pochinky and dying instantly. When I'm on tilt like that I should really just take a break. But I can't.

I can't. It's just too fun.

:negative:

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

fyallm posted:

I am poo poo

The other day I had this happen except I was the motorcycle guy and when I hopped off the motorcycle bounced off a wall and ran me over and I died.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
This game is really, really good. They seem to have hit the sweet spot in DayZ's formula to create a game that has all the fun and adrenaline of DayZ with absolutely none of the bullshit and about 10% as many glitches. I look forward to seeing how they manage to iterate onto this in time for the Xbox One X launch.

Anyone else think this game could actually end up being really fun on Xbox? The fact that they can force you into using the in game voice chat might add a lot for tactical awareness.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Is there any way to find out what your mmr/skill tier is?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/status/876896398997729280

I'd better be able to put a vertical foregrip on it.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

won't matter, streamers are all gonna be god tier with it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

i got my first chicken dinner and it involved the other guy rushing my tree and me dropping a stun grenade in his face as he ran up and then wildly fired everywhere after he was blind lmao this game rules

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Parallel Playa posted:

I thought we weren't supposed to post about chicken dinners anymore

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Junk posted:

There should be a hard ban on photos of screens. Hit F12 you goddamn luddites.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Junk posted:

No, thankfully a couple of whiny killjoy idiot fucker assholes who don't want to discuss a major part of the game in the thread about the game don't set policy for the whole thread.

edit: photos instead of screenshots is pretty hosed up though I have to admit. That's some homicidal triangle type worrying poo poo.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Junk posted:

Nah, Post that poo poo man.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

What kind of ammo will it use? 7.62?

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

TracerBullet posted:

Echoing the sentiments that this shiz needs a training mode...or at least a firing range with moving targets.

god I'm terrible

I would definitely like that as well. I know that some people said "just play the game lol" and to some extent its true, but good training comes from consistency and repetition, which is a bit hard to do in the chaos that is a pubg game.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Captain Gordon posted:

Is there any way to find out what your mmr/skill tier is?

Click "Leaderboards" you can see your rank and win/kill ratings for every game type / server region.

Fried Watermelon posted:

9mm most likely.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I hate when I drop in a cluster of houses that have NO WEAPONS except for a sickle and then I get scared to leave until the circle closes in and then I run to a shed and find a handgun with 15 rounds and then I just keep bugging the edge of the circle trying to avoid the firefights and then I scare some guys out from behind cover and someone else picks them off and then I end up in the top five on the second to last circle.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Junk posted:

I missed that, my bad. I never posted any of my wins before but this wasn't just a 4-kill win so I figured it might be appreciated.

With regards to it being a photo, yeah it sucks and I apologise. This is the only game where for some reason my Steam screenshot keybind does gently caress all.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 19, 2017

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Fart Car '97 posted:

i got my first chicken dinner and it involved the other guy rushing my tree and me dropping a stun grenade in his face as he ran up and then wildly fired everywhere after he was blind lmao this game rules

Stun grenades are effective even if they don't blind. The noise in your ears blocks out the sound of footsteps. In a house or in the city that gives a huge advantage.

I got taken out that way in a bungalow with two doors and no idea which one they were coming through.

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!
Post the goddamn wins.
Its awesome to see

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fried Watermelon posted:

Better be 9mm, it's a Glock 18c, not a Stetchkov(sp?)

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

That's nice and all but couldn't they just let you use the micro-uzi as a pistol? All of these new guns are nice, but largely ignorable. Obviously it's not the same team, but goddamn you'd think they could fix stuff that actually matters instead of adding bad guns and then nerfing said bad guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Parallel Playa posted:

I missed that, my bad. I never posted any of my wins before but this wasn't just a 4-kill win so I figured it might be appreciated.

With regards to it being a photo, yeah it sucks and I apologise. This is the only game where for some reason my Steam screenshot keybind does gently caress all.

I liked your screenshot more than any other yet fwiw

• Locked thread