Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

The load times in control are nuts, it's like I'm joining a map in Battlefield 1942.

It's one of the best improvements on the ps5 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Agents are GO! posted:

I get angry at the PS5 load times because I got used to reflexively checking my phone after I died on PS4, and now I'm back in the game before I can even load up anything to read :arghfist::saddumb:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

I get angry at the PS5 load times because I got used to reflexively checking my phone after I died on PS4, and now I'm back in the game before I can even load up anything to read :arghfist::saddumb:

Git güd and you won't have that problem. :smuggo:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I've beaten 4 more times than 1 because I really liked the battle network series and my childhood frustration with the powerplant segment of the first game left me determined that it was the worst thing ever. Incidentally I just beat that power plant without even running out of battery, because when you're not a literal stupid child it's really easy.

I have a soft spot for BN4, even with it being pretty bad. Sure, the tournament setting is dumb, but at least it comes around at the end where the entire world knows who Megaman is because of it, and it brought back Duo from MM8. I remember my entire strategy was to steal the enemies area, wail on them with swords and use wood style and the item that made you immortal as long as you had 2 hp or more.

quote:

She sells your shining laser to buy herself a jacket, she deserves it.

The biggest tragedy of Legends 3 going unreleased: we never found out if Megaman preferred blondes or brunettes (noirettes?)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate that there's no clear way of knowing at least which levels contain certain missed items in Bayonetta, like Witch hearts and Moon pearls, because some of them are just hidden in the levels so just going through all the alfheims isn't necessarily going to do it. It just makes stuff like those and the tears of blood feel like it's not worth the effort if you have to pull up a guide to find the last hearts.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

beats for junkies posted:

Yeah, just open the menu once and then it'll disappear forever (unless you use instinct to find it again).

My Freelancer drag-down: That loving guard in the teller ship in the New York level. If you've played Freelancer, you probably know the one I'm talking about. He goes back and forth between the two glass doors in a glass room, with guards and tellers and civilians all over the loving place, and he's been a target multiple times. He even taunts you by stopping to take a drink in the middle of his short patrol, but there's no disguise in that level that can non-suspiciously poison drinks, and someone is always watching in that room.

I'm sure it's possible to get away with it by causing a distraction somewhere else and getting everyone to look away, but that's too complicated. I just throw an explosive at him now and run like hell back down into the vault to escape (because if I have that guy as a target, he's the last thing I'll deal with before exiting).

My personal vendetta is with the guy in Berlin who just walks back and forth between the dance floor and a very public toilet.

But unless you are going for a Silent Assassin prestige objective nothing is stopping you from poisoning the drink and just running away. It doesn't matter how many NPCs get an exclamation mark over their head. If you run away and hide, they'll eventually stop following you. They won't even be witnesses (orange color during instinct) so you can just walk past them a little later like nothing happened.

I'd be more conscious of lookouts and suspects during a showdown mission, but if you've played Freelancer you probably know how doing anything suspicious near them is usually a recipe for disaster.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm on a decently beefy PC with an SSD, so I have no idea why they're so long. I'm dying more as the game gets more difficult and it's so punishing I'm honestly thinking of just dropping it. Sucks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm on a decently beefy PC with an SSD, so I have no idea why they're so long. I'm dying more as the game gets more difficult and it's so punishing I'm honestly thinking of just dropping it. Sucks.

There's no shame in going into the options and turning on the built in cheats

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Especially because the story is too good to be stymied by difficulty.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Len posted:

There's no shame in going into the options and turning on the built in cheats

This, the difficulty adjustments are the best of any game I can think of. I managed to beat the game before they added those, but it was pitched hard enough to be frustrating. Even just tuning down damage taken a little bit made the game so much more enjoyable, I do it every time now.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

This, the difficulty adjustments are the best of any game I can think of. I managed to beat the game before they added those, but it was pitched hard enough to be frustrating. Even just tuning down damage taken a little bit made the game so much more enjoyable, I do it every time now.

Seconding this: turn damage taken down by about 20%, and turn on instant kills any time you have to fight The Former.

Anyhow, with the MMBN chat earlier, a story about the game having a "Cultural Insensitivity" warning and what the gently caress:

Now I never have and probably never will play the games, but seriously, I'm pretty sure that would have been considered egregious even when they were released... right? :(

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Now I never have and probably never will play the games, but seriously, I'm pretty sure that would have been considered egregious even when they were released... right? :(
I feel like MMBN2 would be pretty low on the list for Cultural Insensitive media released in 2001/2002.
This series was dunking on IoT stuff back before IoT appliances were a thing.
(There was a whole 8 months between MMBN1 and 2. Talk about crunch.)

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Nuebot posted:

She sells your shining laser to buy herself a jacket, she deserves it.

I thought she sold your poo poo from the first game to pay for repairs on their busted rear end ship. Whomst among us hasn't sold a laser or two to fix our car?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

I mean it's not the difficulty, per se. I'm enjoying the challenge. It's just whenever I die I'm out of commission for 5 minutes while the game gathers its thoughts. I couldn't care less about losing 10% of my souls.

I did fight "The Former" for the first time though, and that was pretty bullshit. I'm sure there's some trick to dodging its swipes but it sure felt like pure luck.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can throw the Former's own eye orbs back at him which kills in like 2.5 hits.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

You can throw the Former's own eye orbs back at him which kills in like 2.5 hits.

Dang, that would have been easier :tipshat:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

I mean it's not the difficulty, per se. I'm enjoying the challenge. It's just whenever I die I'm out of commission for 5 minutes while the game gathers its thoughts. I couldn't care less about losing 10% of my souls.

I did fight "The Former" for the first time though, and that was pretty bullshit. I'm sure there's some trick to dodging its swipes but it sure felt like pure luck.

Five minutes? That's insane, that's way worse than ps4?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

Five minutes? That's insane, that's way worse than ps4?

I'm exaggerating a little bit, but it's definitely a few minutes, so I end up alt tab-ing and doing something else for 5 minutes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Agents are GO! posted:

No, not really. We were very stupid back in the very early 2000s. For what it's worth--rightly not much--'Black America' is far from the only culture to get this in the Battle Network games.

I feel like 'cartoonish but well-meaning caricatures of real-world nations/ethnicities' was just sort of a thing across a lot of media at that time, and it took a while before we realized we probably shouldn't be doing that.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Snake Maze posted:

It would be cool to see what a modern city looks like 200 years after society has collapsed and started to rebuild. The old buildings would have been damaged by war and time, of course, but over the years the new residents would have done their own construction - repairing and expanding the buildings they use, constructing new buildings as needed, and cleaning and decorating their residences according to their tastes, all with no regard for how the buildings were originally intended to be used. The passage of time, the blending of the familiar and the new, I think it could be a really fun setting for, say, an open world video game or something.

It’s too bad the Fallout games are set 20 minutes after the bombs fell, before anybody has had time to do any of that.

Mark Lawrence does a bunch of post-apocalyptic high fantasy. The castle that one of the protagonists lived in used to be a parking garage, which you only figure out because they mention a sign that says "No Parking after 9pm" and they wonder what the ancients had meant by that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Agents are GO! posted:

Seconding this: turn damage taken down by about 20%, and turn on instant kills any time you have to fight The Former.

Anyhow, with the MMBN chat earlier, a story about the game having a "Cultural Insensitivity" warning and what the gently caress:

As far as everyone I knew at least, they were seen as comically racist rather than offensive. The rap battle for whisky poo poo was so out there it was hard not to laugh at it. But also since most of us were kids the fact that all the black characters, who were stand-ins for Americans, were poor thieves kind of went over our heads at first. But also I lived in Canada at the time so didn't make immediate connections to American culture and history. 2's probably the most prominent example but other games have their poo poo too, what with 4 basically doing the G Gundam thing of having most of the characters be national stereotypes, including noted drunken russian named Ivan Chillski. And 5 having Tomahawk Man.

bossy lady posted:

I thought she sold your poo poo from the first game to pay for repairs on their busted rear end ship. Whomst among us hasn't sold a laser or two to fix our car?

That's her excuse; but she has a new jacket, and your ship still sucks!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Nuebot posted:

That's her excuse; but she has a new jacket, and your ship still sucks!

What do you mean? When it's fixed up at the start of Legends 2, you can traverse a major chunk of the planet! Compared to 1 where you could barely putter across a small island town faster than just jet skating would be.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Nuebot posted:

4 basically doing the G Gundam thing of having most of the characters be national stereotypes, including noted drunken russian named Ivan Chillski.

Wait, is he supposed to be a drunk? I've been rereading the BN4 LP on the archive, and Ivan's thing seems more "why is everything so god drat hot" than being a drunk.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cleretic posted:

I feel like 'cartoonish but well-meaning caricatures of real-world nations/ethnicities' was just sort of a thing across a lot of media at that time, and it took a while before we realized we probably shouldn't be doing that.

We're never getting a new Punch-Out again, are we?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Vandar posted:

We're never getting a new Punch-Out again, are we?

There were some......questionable characters in the series but I think for the most part it was generally just people of different muscle masses wasn't it?

Off the top of my head I remember the Bruce Lee expy, 'Aran Ryan', the old Asian guy, a Rastafarian...any others?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Most of the real questionable poo poo was super punch out that didn't return for the Wii game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The Wii Punch-Out kept a lot of characters that were definitely 'cartoon stereotypes of X country', but you could tell we were leaving that era; most of the characters either weren't negative stereotypes (the Canadian character being a lumberjack that's friends with bears and drinks maple syrup is definitely a caricature, but it's hard to be offended about it) or are definably just characters in and of themselves (Aran Ryan's just a total heel and a cheater that happens to be Irish), but it still had the same sort of vibe.

...and also Soda Popinski/Vodka Drunkinski was still there. From most of the Wii cast I get the vibe of 'you probably wouldn't do this now if you were doing it from nothing, but it's not really offensive', similar to some Street Fighter characters, but the Russian guy being constantly drunk off vodka is kinda the outlier there.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Cleretic posted:

The Wii Punch-Out kept a lot of characters that were definitely 'cartoon stereotypes of X country', but you could tell we were leaving that era; most of the characters either weren't negative stereotypes (the Canadian character being a lumberjack that's friends with bears and drinks maple syrup is definitely a caricature, but it's hard to be offended about it) or are definably just characters in and of themselves (Aran Ryan's just a total heel and a cheater that happens to be Irish), but it still had the same sort of vibe.

...and also Soda Popinski/Vodka Drunkinski was still there. From most of the Wii cast I get the vibe of 'you probably wouldn't do this now if you were doing it from nothing, but it's not really offensive', similar to some Street Fighter characters, but the Russian guy being constantly drunk off vodka is kinda the outlier there.

Princess Peach was considered to be an opponent before being replaced by Donkey Kong, I assume someone at Nintendo was like "Wait, hold on no, that's probably a bad look"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Nobody paid any attention to Battle Network because Capcom cleverly distracted everyone by releasing RE 5 and making that the focus of everyone's ire 7 years and 3 months later.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Cleretic posted:

(Aran Ryan's just a total heel and a cheater that happens to be Irish)

Misread this as Ayn Rand and was wondering :wtf: was going on in the Wii version? :stare:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Read After Burning posted:

Misread this as Ayn Rand and was wondering :wtf: was going on in the Wii version? :stare:

Good news: you're not alone.

Bad news: we probably both have dyslexia

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ugh, the boss design in Control is pretty bad in general, but the boss of the DLC is bad AND hard. Sucky combo.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Ugh, the boss design in Control is pretty bad in general, but the boss of the DLC is bad AND hard. Sucky combo.

The Alan Wake DLC boss is one of the most frustrating things I've played in a while. I almost slogged through it after multiple tries, then decided life was just too short and turned on one hit kill for it. I live that game, but yeah, the boss design is weirdly unfun in general.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i probably would have liked alan wake more if i didnt have to play on the hardest difficulty to see the entire story / get all the pages

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Meowywitch posted:

i probably would have liked alan wake more if i didnt have to play on the hardest difficulty to see the entire story / get all the pages

Oh, I HATE that! What other games do that? There's one huge example out there but it's not coming to me at the moment...

Dienes posted:

Good news: you're not alone.

Bad news: we probably both have dyslexia

I've definitely noticed (going back to at least high school) at times with numbers, but hell, may be happening with words too. Does it get worse as you age, I wonder?

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Oh, I HATE that! What other games do that? There's one huge example out there but it's not coming to me at the moment...

A lot of arcade ports during the SNES and even Playstation era would pull this, particularly brawlers, fighting games and SHUMPS.

If a game had something like seven stages the game would end at stage three on easy mode and stage five on normal, so you had to play on hard to finish the game.

But what was dickish was sometimes it was only the western version that pulled that, and what's worse the western version also had its difficulty jacked up on all modes when compared to the Japanese original.

Working Designs was kind of infamous for that crap.

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

Superman 64 famously did this, on top of being just a god awful game all around.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I really enjoyed the Looney Tunes game on SNES as a kid, but it had a double kicker that led me to never see all of it:
- easy mode removes all bosses AND the whole of level 5
- normal mode and higher removes the password system

Therefore, to even see level 5, you have to play through 1-4 without saving, game overing, and you have to fight bosses you might not be familiar with.

I could probably do it now, but as a kid I was bad at videogames, reached Level 5 like twice and each time game overed at the first screen because it's entirely over a bottomless pit.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It took a while for console games to shed the baggage of arcade machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4tmzwrdTmY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Max Payne 2 has a bonus scene you can only get if you beat the game on Dead on Arrival, iirc.

Valkyrie Profile is another game that just ends early and doesn't let you get the true ending if you play on Easy.

I recently learned that there was an extremely mediocre remake of Double Dragon 2 released for the Xbox 360, but in order to get the good ending you have to bear the game without dying and without using any special moves, which just sounds like the most tedious poo poo.