Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Lol they don't give a poo poo about retail banking in the US. The wealth management clients they want would have no problem meeting privately or remotely somehow. Basically all the DOJ has to do is whistle now and the Swiss will give them pretty much anything they want, especially if there's the air of terrorism or tax evasion. They arrested Roman Polanski here not too long ago but let him go so there are some things they'll stand up for but not a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Hyperlynx posted:

My understanding is that Swiss law provides protections against that. If Credit Suisse turned around and said "no, get a court order" they'd be able to do that, but apparently choose not to.

On reading https://protonmail.com/blog/switzerland/, I guess they can be compelled to hand over data, it just has to be via court order.

And:

Are they full of poo poo?

These are the laws as written, yes. There were laws in place regarding the privacy of your banking info here too (which were DEEPLY part of the national identity if not the USP of the largest national financial sector) and that all got re-written to appease the US when they got pissed off about taxes.

So they're not lying, but the country's laws aren't going to stand up to any kind of international pressure at all.

I've got a paid protonmail account too, btw. They're better than the alternatives but the government just really really sucks here and people shouldn't think that Switzerland is some bastion against oversight except for creepy old rich dudes.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Fair enough.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

England crew: how often do you actually eat a "full English breakfast"? So other UK countries have an equivalent?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If the Swiss are such bootlickers, surely a nudge from Biden or so could bring Nestle to court for water crimes?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

greazeball posted:

These are the laws as written, yes. There were laws in place regarding the privacy of your banking info here too (which were DEEPLY part of the national identity if not the USP of the largest national financial sector) and that all got re-written to appease the US when they got pissed off about taxes.

So they're not lying, but the country's laws aren't going to stand up to any kind of international pressure at all.

I've got a paid protonmail account too, btw. They're better than the alternatives but the government just really really sucks here and people shouldn't think that Switzerland is some bastion against oversight except for creepy old rich dudes.

The Canadian Tax agency and banks are required to share financial info of Canadians in canada with the irs for anybody with more than 10k in US assets. Including stock. Which is pretty much everyone lol.

They have been playing it safe and just handing over basically everything voluntarily rather than risking running afoul of the tax treaty by accidentally not forwarding something they needed to lol.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 19, 2021

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Grouchio posted:

If the Swiss are such bootlickers, surely a nudge from Biden or so could bring Nestle to court for water crimes?

Why would Biden care about prosecuting people for crimes against humanity? He was one of the most prominent democrats involved in getting America to go to war in Iraq.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Well you see Biden is a democrat so he really cares about the common people like you and me

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

regulargonzalez posted:

England crew: how often do you actually eat a "full English breakfast"? So other UK countries have an equivalent?

Only living in England, not raised here, so I won't comment on how often an actual English person eats them, but the vibe I get is that it's more of a treat than a regular thing. Which is probably for the best with all that frying.

I definitely saw a lot of "Scottish breakfast" offerings when I was last up that way, typically similar to English but with haggis and potato scones.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I've known some UK people who might eat one once a week but for most people though probably like a handful of times a year. Generally people just have things like toast/eggs/cereal/fruit for breakfast, pretty standard stuff. To serve a "full English" is quite a faff, so it's more like the kind of thing you'll get at a greasy spoon cafe or a hotel than do for yourself. It's a hefty dinner worth of calories, probably and some, so it's definitely not a daily thing.

There are Scottish and Welsh and I assume Irish variants, most of the key elements are the same but there are more localised components like Lorne sausage or laverbread. Even within England you'll get little local changes, certainly I expect that the further North you get the higher your likelihood of getting Black Pudding is (a good thing).

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

greazeball posted:

As a resident of Switzerland, let me assure you that they are absolutely spineless when the US DOJ comes around. I have to sign letters from my bank every single year that says yes, I understand that Credit Suisse has a data sharing agreement with the US DOJ and the IRS and that the bank will provide them with an annual summary of my account. Switzerland isn't some freedom paradise, they're a bunch of bootlickers who will do anything to suck up to capital.

Truly a private bank giving info to a government to prevent money laundering and tax evasion is the height of sucking up to capital????

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Badger of Basra posted:

Truly a private bank giving info to a government to prevent money laundering and tax evasion is the height of sucking up to capital????

Do you want your bank to volunteer information over to the chinese communist party to make there isn't any funding of any 'terrorism' movements?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Methanar posted:

Do you want your bank to volunteer information over to the chinese communist party to make there isn't any funding of any 'terrorism' movements?

If a significant portion of my bank's business was distributing funding to terrorist movements in China yeah I probably would be fine with it

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

FCKGW posted:

Facebook will try and detect businesses in posts and link to their FB business pages and it sounds like it's either gone a little haywire or you're part of an A/B testing some new feature that isn't working quite right.

I would give it a few days and see if it sorts itself out. I don't think there's anything you can do.

For anyone who has been losing sleep over this, I think the problem was that I had the word "recommend" (or maybe recommendation) in the OP, and Facebook desperately wanted at least my replies to link to/recommend some business. So much so that it wouldn't really let me opt out, if it could find anything in a reply to base a link on. I don't know if it was a feature test or is a normal part of FB, since I don't have a lot of experience with asking for recommendations there.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Methanar posted:

I think there's some room for nuance in this equation :v:

Also my country's national bank has been caught aiding international money launderers multiple times. I'm all for governments being allowed to look at their pocketbooks.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Grouchio posted:

lol there's a reason the worst people and companies in the world have bank accounts here. money talks

Badger of Basra posted:

yes thank god that's been stopped now

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
This is the screen on my parents oven:

when I visited earlier the oven seemed to be on, making the fan noise and when i opened the door it was pretty warm in there, but the dials were all set to 0/Off, does the little pic indicate that some kind of timer is on, and how do you figure out turning it off, there's 6 buttons and i pressed em all but none seemed to change the situation.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Google the brand and model number of the oven and you'll almost certainly find a user manual online for it, unless it's super old.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Are there any options on getting a covid vaccine for someone who doesn't handle needles very well?

I think getting vaccinated is the responsible thing to do since I travel for work regularly and I am customer facing. That said I can not handle needles, thinking of it and even typing this out is making me incredibly anxious despite the rational side of me knowing better. Is there a way I can have them knock me out or something and get myself caught up on the 20ish years of missed vaccinations?

Crankit posted:

This is the screen on my parents oven:

when I visited earlier the oven seemed to be on, making the fan noise and when i opened the door it was pretty warm in there, but the dials were all set to 0/Off, does the little pic indicate that some kind of timer is on, and how do you figure out turning it off, there's 6 buttons and i pressed em all but none seemed to change the situation.

That little icon looks like a heating indication, can you cycle power on it? If its an electric oven you should probably turn off the circuit breaker for a minute and see what it does when you turn it back on.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpeedFreek posted:

Are there any options on getting a covid vaccine for someone who doesn't handle needles very well?

I think getting vaccinated is the responsible thing to do since I travel for work regularly and I am customer facing. That said I can not handle needles, thinking of it and even typing this out is making me incredibly anxious despite the rational side of me knowing better. Is there a way I can have them knock me out or something and get myself caught up on the 20ish years of missed vaccinations?

Absolutely not on the last part. You can't take any other vaccines within 2 weeks of the covid vaccine IIRC (at least for pfizor).

Do you have a primary care physician? This is the kind of thing they should be dealing with for you. You should find the right one that can cater to your specific needs.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

SpeedFreek posted:

No.

I hate to sound heartless but suck it up, close your eyes and think about baseball statistics or whatever and remain seated for a few minutes after the jab to make sure you don't pass out. I'm not dismissing needle phobia but you just need to deal with it for 30 seconds. You can do it just like I can hold my breath and walk near a hornet when I have to.

And 2 weeks after this is done, please catch up on your TDAP at the very least

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

SpeedFreek posted:

That said I can not handle needles, thinking of it and even typing this out is making me incredibly anxious despite the rational side of me knowing better.

i dont like needles so i faced the other direction from the person who was jabbing me and didnt see it happen. i felt nothing at all (until hours later when i had some arm pain)

alnilam posted:

I'm not dismissing needle phobia but you just need to deal with it for 30 seconds.

also its not 30 seconds. its like a fraction of a second. its not like having blood drawn where they have to sit there and try to find a vein and all that, its a super quick jab

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Is the goon doctor forum still around? I'm having trouble finding it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Earwicker posted:

i dont like needles so i faced the other direction from the person who was jabbing me and didnt see it happen. i felt nothing at all (until hours later when i had some arm pain)

This is also a good point. The needles they use for this vax are TINY. And it's an IM shot so you really can't feel it.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Manager Hoyden posted:

Is the goon doctor forum still around? I'm having trouble finding it.

It’s a subforum of YLLS (on mobile else I’d link it)

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I "fired" my PCP almost 11 years ago when I broke my leg and he blew me off with a suck it up bitch comment and sent me home without treatment after looking at it and determining I didn't break it. The only other way I can see myself getting it would be if I was strapped down or something. The last time I was able to get stuck was about 9 years ago when they put in the IV for the surgery to fix said broken leg and my phobia or whatever only got worse since then.

Motronic, would you still recommend that CTEK 4.3 batter charger from the tools thread? I have a Jag that eats batteries if I leave it connected for more than two weeks without driving it.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

SpeedFreek posted:

If you're able, talk to a doctor about this specifically - you may be able to get some targeted therapy (CBT, exposure therapy, etc.) or an ativan or something. Also there's a nasal flu vaccine, so get that one, and potentially others will come that route eventually. Also tell them when you go in for the shot, then they'll keep a closer eye on you for fainting etc.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

FreshFeesh posted:

It’s a subforum of YLLS (on mobile else I’d link it)

It's here.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

SpeedFreek posted:

I think getting vaccinated is the responsible thing to do since I travel for work regularly and I am customer facing. That said I can not handle needles, thinking of it and even typing this out is making me incredibly anxious despite the rational side of me knowing better.

I have a similar problem with medical needles (not piercing or tattooing needles, oddly.) If you want to try to get the jab anyway, know that this is probably the least painful and scary shot I've ever had. It's nothing like a goddamn IV, ugh. Get someone to drive you if you can. Tell the nurse beforehand that you're probably going to start passing out and need to lie down immediately after or, better yet, during the shot. If you can't lie down for some reason then sit and put your head between your legs. Tell them to stick you without warning. Don't try to walk around or drive right after. Do try to distract yourself with conversation or reading something until the feeling passes. Get the earliest appointment you can so you don't spend the day in horrible anticipation.

It really sucks, I know. But it's over fast.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpeedFreek posted:

Motronic, would you still recommend that CTEK 4.3 batter charger from the tools thread? I have a Jag that eats batteries if I leave it connected for more than two weeks without driving it.

The 4.3 is more than you need as a battery maintainer, but sure it will work. I mounted a CTEK 0.8 to my tractor and it's been doing it's battery maintenance thing for a couple years now with no complaints. It's under $60 instead of over $100.

You want the 4.3 if you're trying to charge batteries faster or "recover" dead batteries.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I'm more interested in using it to recover my neglected batteries, I have about 8 things with engines that don't get used regularly enough or have suspect charging systems but aren't worth buying new batteries for. The solar chargers help but I only if I keep it in the greenhouse or outside.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

SpeedFreek posted:

Also speaking as needle shy (though not as bad)...

1) This is the least I've felt a shot
2) Find one of those vaccine mills where they're churning people out fast and they'll be moving you so quick you won't have time to wallow (I felt my second shot more and that's entirely to she wasn't moving as fast as with the first)

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

SpeedFreek posted:

while i realize its hard to do as a goon, try to hold a conversation with the person doing it while you look away. i used to haaaaaate needles but would get my flu shot every year bullshitting about the weather or something with the nurse while they did it. the best ones could do it while they were mid sentence without missing a beat, but at worst it helped me not tense up

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I recently got my flu vaccine, at work. I only realised I'd been vaccinated when I saw her drop the syringe into the sharps disposal container. Didn't feel a thing.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I have a follow up question now, how do I find a PCP that wont blow you off. I don't go in unless its really serious like still not being able to walk after a few days and even then I tend to downplay any problems I have.

Its not a pain thing that gets me but just knowing that its happening or will happen.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

SpeedFreek posted:

If you go to a college campus or similar public institution that's administering it, they jab you really fast since they have dozens of people in line and need to get you moving along. Might help with some of the anticipation and anxiety.

Your doctor will want to know about this, they may have strategies for dealing with this kind of situation

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpeedFreek posted:

I'm more interested in using it to recover my neglected batteries, I have about 8 things with engines that don't get used regularly enough or have suspect charging systems but aren't worth buying new batteries for. The solar chargers help but I only if I keep it in the greenhouse or outside.

Yeah, go for the 4.3 then. I'm still impressed with some of the batteries it's recovered. It's currently at someone else's house making the rounds for dead mower batteries in the spring.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I used to be terrified of needles until I realized I was just terrified of the expectation of pain, not the pain itself. I just made sure not to look when they did the shot

When I got my pfizer shot it was over so fast that I kinda wondered if I even received the shot. It wasn't until that night when it started getting sore than I was convinced I did.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have a weird compulsion to watch the needle go in, and even then the Pfizer shot was over so quickly that I thought I'd missed it.

That doesn't really help the OP though. Needle phobia is real in the only real way that matters: it affects your emotions / mental state. I'm sorry you're having trouble. But getting the vaccine is 100% the right thing to do. I hope you're able to get it in a supportive environment. I guarantee that the nurses who are administering the shots have dealt with phobic patients / patients with vasovagal responses before. They'll much rather know ahead of time than be surprised when the needle gets close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Every nurse doctor and lab/patient tech in the world has dealt with needle-phobic patients. Probably half of people have some level of needle anxiety.

I feel like any time you go to a medical professional you should remember that it's almost guaranteed they have seen worse than you.