Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Dammit. Can't that doofus who bought back into the game for a few hundred dollars give me one of his jpegs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Beet Wagon posted:

I wouldn't mind footing the bill for the upload. I don't want you to be broke, commando. :10bux: buys a lot of Miller High Life.

e: more importantly is figuring out who gets the tag I guess.

No! Please just buy back your old avatar instead. The new one creeps me the gently caress out.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Truga posted:

$45 and no. I tried, it's too crashy. I'm a patient man, but SC just goes too far. I have nothing but respect for pgabz and that other guy that did trip reports into 2.0 release for the ability to not ragequit the thing.

Sometime in the future, CIG will claim that the game is designed to be buggy and crashy for players designated as griefers by others. Your game don't work? Can only blame yourself, kid.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

fuzzknot posted:

No! Please just buy back your old avatar instead. The new one creeps me the gently caress out.

:agreed:

but do it after the gang tag is up

i think anyone should be free to use it though, the stimperium is 9/10ths rear end, 0/10ths class and 1/10th having eternators injected into your dickhole

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Gilganixon posted:

I could make and upload the gang tag tonight but doing that would cost ten bux. Ill be broke after that so you jabronis are going to have to bite the bullet and finally buy an av for yourselves so you can attach the tag

Yeah, I'm an idiot and an idiot. So I just need to buy an avatar? Is that what you are getting at commando?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

fuzzknot posted:

Coincidentally, that image is a fairly accurate reflection of my face reading this thread.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, that's not how I make a lasagne, I don't add fennel ahhhhhhhhhhh

That about right?

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Mr.Tophat posted:

Ahhhhhhhhhh, that's not how I make a lasagne, I don't add fennel ahhhhhhhhhhh

That about right?

Yes. If I want something that tastes like licorice, I will eat licorice.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Yeah you use the img tag in the text under your av. The image has to be hosted on Something Awful and you do that by someone uploading the tag as an av for themselves . I'll upload it then change my av back and provide the url for the image

Or something like that

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

fuzzknot posted:

Coincidentally, that image is a fairly accurate reflection of my face reading this thread.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

fuzzknot posted:

Yes. If I want something that tastes like licorice, I will eat licorice.

I had no idea that fannel tastes of licorice. I hate licorice. This thread teaches me so much. Some days it's about fennel. Other days about it's about the true meaning of open development. SC is the miracle that just keeps on giving.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Ships are supposed to age and wear out?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

fennel is great, holy loving poo poo

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Mr.Tophat posted:

I had no idea that fannel tastes of licorice. I hate licorice. This thread teaches me so much. Some days it's about fennel. Other days about it's about the true meaning of open development. SC is the miracle that just keeps on giving.

I used to like licorice but went off it. That's also why I don't like absinthe very much; it also tastes of licorice. I use a bit of absinthe in the sauce for oysters Rockefeller, but I never touch it otherwise.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
The Stimpire is renowned for its attention to the superb practices of dickhole abuse

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
I made a good few grand selling eve isk back in the good old days so I guess that paid some bills (or I pissed it away on booze maybe who knows). Should I put professional eve trader on my CV? Oh and in my email signature obviously.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

KM Scorchio posted:

I made a good few grand selling eve isk back in the good old days so I guess that paid some bills (or I pissed it away on booze maybe who knows). Should I put professional eve trader on my CV? Oh and in my email signature obviously.

Wesha has taught me the real bragging rights go to those who lose money by being unabashedly stupid

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

KM Scorchio posted:

I made a good few grand selling eve isk back in the good old days so I guess that paid some bills (or I pissed it away on booze maybe who knows).

If you can't remember, then you probably did.

KM Scorchio posted:

Yes. Also, post a photo of it on Twitter. The signature should of course announce you as "one of the best eve traders in the world and has been ever since he was a little boy."

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Wesha has taught me the real bragging rights go to those who lose money by being unabashedly stupid

And if you're lucky, you might get Tarkaroshe as a sycophant to defend your awful purchasing decisions.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

What's the cheapest I can get into the PU for? Is it worth it just to ruin other people's good times?

Just play grief on free weekends/weeks. The game is a god awful mess and not worth 45 cents, much less dollars.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Wafflz posted:

Just play grief on free weekends/weeks. The game is a god awful mess and not worth 45 cents, much less dollars.

That's a handle and a half of Tito's where I live and I thank you for talking me off the ledge, everyone.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Afternoon tread! I hope all your posts last night where good and-

Google Butt posted:

fuzzknot you need to not post here, for at least a month or two, possible forever. its not a good look for you or your boyfriend.

Thirsty Dog posted:

Jesus Christ you're a nutcase. I fear for Bootcha if you guys ever split up

Thirsty Dog posted:

Does your girlfriend make hundreds of posts about ~HER BOYFRIEND~ while foaming at the mouth?

:stare:

Dicks.

I have no issue with fuzzknot being protective of me, nor do I care to dictate what she shitposts about and how.

:swoon: :fuzzknot: :swoon:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

To be clear I mean crowd funding and with the public. I wouldn't be surprised if he finds some other venture to scam, like selling his crowd funding "system" that is apparently so inflexible that minor changes take months to implement. Or maybe he can mooch off of Sandi once her acting career takes off.

Then again nobody lost money underestimating the stupidity of people so maybe he can just do it all over again.

People still trust Tim Schafer with their money, so sadly this may not end up being the death of Chris Roberts crowdfunding shenanigans either.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
The Persistence of Idiocy, by Parpador Dali

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

if all your posts are in one thread and one thread only, mostly about your boyfriend and how much you hate your boss, yikes

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Bootcha posted:

Dicks.

I have no issue with fuzzknot being protective of me, nor do I care to dictate what she shitposts about and how.

Awww. :swoon: to you, too.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
fuzzknot is cool, actually

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Eonwe posted:

agreed

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Galarox posted:

God loving drat, superb stuff.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Galarox posted:

holy poo poo

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
fuzz you should post in other threads tho IMO, its a big message board and you can post badly in a lot of places like I do

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

MeLKoR posted:

When 2.0 was released you'd see people on reddit saying poo poo like "the tape retrieval mission told a tale more moving and complex than any other game I played to this date". These people are desperate not to be proven idiots that they'll balk at no lie or exaggeration to prove themselves right.

I guess if they had fun and it was worth 30k, who are we to argue. :shepicide:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sperglord posted:

I was being sarcastic, I thought your story was more than true, sounded like another employee leak about life at CIG. Had EightAce wrote that, I would have taken it as the truth.
Hah, sorry- since the earlier poster had assumed I was writing fan fiction, I wanted to make it unambiguously clear that it was written in semi-seriousness. So I missed the sarcasm. My bad.

quote:

I agree entirely that Chris Roberts is going to freak out over a 8$ arena space combat game. He has been upstaged again by Elite, a trend which is becoming very obvious, and he won't take it lightly.
Yeah, I mean, he really should take it lightly-- because in the grand scheme, this is such a minor little maneuver from Braben. It's a clever one-- a chance to monetize CQC, give players a taste of the combat side of Elite. Selling a combat demo which some companies might just give away as a marketing lure turns an expense into a revenue stream. Even if it's a minor one, even if conversion rates to the full game aren't massive, it's smart and since they've fine-tuned their flight mechanics and balancing, I expect it'll be a tempting bait.

But the naming-- Elite: Arena-- is what will surely serve as the sharp-elbow to prompt Chris' annoyance. "Arena" is as time worn as any word in multiplayer gaming, and it was stale as hell when Roberts called their space combat module "Arena Commander". People at Frontier made the deliberate choice to poke the dragon by co-opting it for their standalone CQC combat-- and that subtle kind of passive aggression is especially hilarious because they can easily laugh it off and say "Oh bollocks- we weren't even thinking about Arena Commander! How funny is that? Sorry mate can't change it now-- we'll be more careful next time!"

---

It's funny- I finally watched that BBC video just twenty minutes ago, and I noticed there was a part in the middle where this specific matter was alluded to by Roberts. He was being asked if he thought if competitors were paying attention to what they were doing. It was in the context of discussions about both Star Citizen's massive budget and also their open development.

As soon as the question was out, he broke into an uncomfortable smile and started a blundering reply:

Chris Roberts posted:

"Uhhhh! Oh I dunno, I mean (trails off mumbling). Uuum-- probably. I mean I dunno I watch other people what they do right? I think the industry is much like that. I use it to spur myself and the team on, like if you see something, like 'Well our characters have to look at least this good or BETTER than this!" or "We've gotta have THIS on, you know like our Procedural planets have to look BETTER than this!"

So I expect, now that Braben has made this deft little maneuver and is talking about it, Chris is going to feel obligated to counter. And it would be the easiest thing in the world to do-- but for the fact that, as you note, Arena Commander is still an unbalanced mess, half-baked and, like Star Marine after it, the oldest of Roberts' red-headed step-children.

You're especially right to point out that Arena Commander's rush-to-release was itself meant as a pre-emptive strike against Elite's launch. So in the context of this broader series of volleys, "Elite: Arena" is an especially hilarious counterpunch. Oh, and it's VR friendly, too.

If Chris does pivot (or lurch, to be more accurate) and move to release "Arena Commander: Elite Combat" (or whatever he calls it), he's going to have to sell it for cheap and it's still going to suck compared to Elite: Arena.

Both will probably prove inferior to the soon-to-release "Eve:Valkyrie", but that title will, for those not pre-ordering an Oculus, likely cost more.

It seems like this year's releases will be the start of a long, painful death of a thousand cuts for Star Citizen. I don't mean a corporate death-- because I think that financially they can survive still milking their revenue models. I mean a credibility death-- one that's long overdue. It will come via a slow, steady stream of new title big publisher releases (Eve, No Man's Sky, Adrift, Mass Effect: Andromeda, etc.) and several indie titles (Infinity, Fractured Space, Firefly, Everspace, Angels Fall First, etc.), many that best Star Citizen in some critical feature or set of them. And THAT will hurt Chris, because he wants to be the jack of all trades AND the master of each.

So even though I don't expect CIG's outright failure this year, it surely is the year that the public and media realize the emperor has no clothes, and never had clothes. Chris will crank out 'in engine' videos showing he has plans to counter them all-- and fewer and fewer will believe them, having seen one too many promises-- Star Marine most recently-- not survive impact with the rube goldberg monstrosity that Chris Roberts has been cobbling together at great expense over too many years...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 16, 2016

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Eonwe posted:

nah she really brings down the serious tone of this serious thread which i take very seriously

serious

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Actually hooked menu options into the config props back-end. Obviously still haven't "plugged in" some of the options to the game yet, because most of those systems don't actually exist. Yet.

I would have uploaded a video demo, but I'm snowed into this loving cabin in maine with 1995 quality internet. Loading one page of this thread no joke takes 2 minutes.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Galarox posted:

Book cover confirmed for the inevitable tell-all.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Jason Sextro posted:

nah she really brings down the serious tone of this serious thread which i take very seriously

serious

it's actually the opposite

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Eonwe posted:

fuzz you should post in other threads tho IMO, its a big message board and you can post badly in a lot of places like I do

Then again, “bad” is always this funny relative thing.
In the EVE thread, Eonwe's posting is horrible; in this thread, it's just appropriately bad for the topic. And yet it's the same posting.

Jason Sextro posted:

serious

JokerMeme.png

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Galarox posted:

:five: :five: :five:

Truly, a :master:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Bootcha posted:

Dicks.

I'm just tired of hearing about your relationship and personal life. I prefer we stay focused on the task at hand: Destroying Star Citizen with humor and untapped talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

fuzzknot posted:

But... But it was a gift! I think I even said I wanted this as my av at one point after I posted the "please kill me" picture.

Either way I am keeping it. It's the first time someone has ever bought me an av and I am going to treasure it.

• Locked thread