Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

e: google legal twins at your own peril

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think English might actually be unique in not having language cops, at least for a major language. Of course the French ones might lean far more prescriptivist than most.

Not for want of trying, though. Blue-Eyed English and Anglish are still, regrettably, a thing. A level of insanity that the Académie Française could only aspire to at its most deranged.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I'm sure there are some psychos involved but my understanding is that Anglish is mostly just a fun project for most of the people who get involved with it

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
I guess I'm mixing Anglish with Blue-Eyed English, from Grainger, who was into it for the convenient racism.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Carthag Tuek posted:

e: google legal twins at your own peril

The phrase you're looking for is legal doublet.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

reignonyourparade posted:

I'm sure there are some psychos involved but my understanding is that Anglish is mostly just a fun project for most of the people who get involved with it
Yeah Anglish was mostly just poking fun at the fact that a bunch of Regency and Victorian era upper-class Brits pulled a ton of unnecessary Latin and Greek terminology into their new academia to keep all the plebs out. Stuff like Uncleftish Beholding is just speculating on what Anglo sciences might have looked like if they went down a similar path to 19th century org. chem., where the German Confederation was the undisputed world leader while mostly using local language and terms.

Blue-Eyed English just looks like pure racist psycho poo poo though even from a glance.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Countries by their English Wikipedia article protection

Full protection: Most users can only make edits by submitting a request
Extended-confirmed: Users require a long editing history to make edits
Semi protection: Anonymous and new users can't edit
Pending changes: Proposed edits by anonymous/new users require approval by another user

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ultrafilter posted:

The phrase you're looking for is legal doublet.

but that doesnt work as a joke

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pesty13480 posted:

Not for want of trying, though. Blue-Eyed English and Anglish are still, regrettably, a thing. A level of insanity that the Académie Française could only aspire to at its most deranged.

naturalist h.c. ørsted (of the magnetic fields) was super into "cleansing" the language, so he intentionally juse kept creating words by going back to norse stems, ie kvælstof (strangle-stuff, nitrogen), brint ("burnt" i guess, hydrogen). there are some lists with like 100s of words and a lot were never used again, but in toto he is probably the one person who created the most words in danish

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 3, 2022

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I question the depiction of Japan preparing to commit seppuku.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

me too! it depicts japan's more aggressive foreign policy under abe

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

i say swears online posted:

excellent post, ty
tij

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I agree. The sun man there is sharpening that sword.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's standard sword prep.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grape posted:

That's standard sword prep.

I am not an expert in Japanese swords so I cannot comment.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

baka gayin

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Not really an issue in 2022.

Not just because of getting shot but because he quit the job to deal with his horrible butt problems in 2020.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

Not really an issue in 2022.

Not just because of getting shot but because he quit the job to deal with his horrible butt problems in 2020.

abe was neither the first nor last japanese pm to call into question article 9, and the LDP is still in power. he just exemplified the tendency in popular culture, and public opinion is narrowly in favor of amendment though the votes aren't there in the diet

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

What is North Korea doing with that missile and the Russian bear?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BonHair posted:

What is North Korea doing with that missile and the Russian bear?

Selling it, presumably

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Elyv posted:

Selling it, presumably

right

something brought up in another thread is thailand. i'm just unaware of tension between burma and cambodia in getting in their good graces

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Countries by their English Wikipedia article protection

Full protection: Most users can only make edits by submitting a request
Extended-confirmed: Users require a long editing history to make edits
Semi protection: Anonymous and new users can't edit
Pending changes: Proposed edits by anonymous/new users require approval by another user

Portugal. :chillpill:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jippa posted:

Portugal. :chillpill:

portugal rawdoggin

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

right

something brought up in another thread is thailand. i'm just unaware of tension between burma and cambodia in getting in their good graces

I too don't know what's going on here

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

the grim certainty with which i google "map of chicago by race"

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Guavanaut posted:

Liechtensteiners are forbidden from saying the name of the French capital. Andorrans are compelled but refuse to.

The Maltese were drowned in the Mediterranean by De Gaulle after mangling the pronunciation.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The far NW side is full of cops, so maybe all the lead in the water is explaining something

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Angepain posted:

Playing "Spot where the white people live" on American maps is like "spot the Iron Curtain" on maps of Germany or "spot the Prussian border" on maps of Poland.

I remember about eighteen months ago when the vaccine was rolling out there was a map of vaccine availability in Washington DC and guess which wards had more vaccines per capita to go around?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Angepain posted:

These don't actually seem to match up that well.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Yeah what Id like to do is overlay that with a percentage of buildings built since 1987 or so since thats when Chicago finally stopped mandating lead pipes for water supply thank you ever so much Daley senior.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Benagain posted:

1987 or so since thats when Chicago finally stopped mandating lead pipes for water supply
What the poo poo?!?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What the poo poo?!?

The plumbers union demanded it because it was labor intensive. It finally went away because of national laws against lead pipes. Good news though, we only use lead joints in our sanitary pipe now! It’s not supposed actually touch water, but it’s still very stupid.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Bird in a Blender posted:

The plumbers union demanded it because it was labor intensive. It finally went away because of national laws against lead pipes. Good news though, we only use lead joints in our sanitary pipe now! It’s not supposed actually touch water, but it’s still very stupid.

That's crazy, I wonder if there are similar stories in other major cities. Sort of like Canada only banning asbestos in 2018 due to pressure from asbestos miners.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
all i'm saying is the map of hell has a spot for kissinger and loving Daley is keeping it warm for him

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bird in a Blender posted:

My mind is boggled, cripes.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

:pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The resolution of the google maps background isn't low enough, could you please make it lower? tia