Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Sharkie posted:

Bank robbery is the coolest major crime, y/n? I say yes.

It's victimless, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I love real crime stuff but it has to be really curated. In real life 95% of the time EITHER the perpetrator's identity is super obvious OR, if it isn't, then the case is basically in stasis until somebody who knows what happened tells police.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
my favorite bank robbery gone bad was one where a guy knocked over a bank, then got curious, and called the police to ask if there was a warrant out for his arrest for bank robbery. police politely told him to hold while they checked, drove to his location, and arrested him.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Tiler Kiwi posted:

idk, criminals and criminal orgs are great sources of tales of people destroying themselves over the dumbest poo poo

yeah but were talking like, one of the most powerful people in Mexico not like, some street gang boss

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sharkie posted:

Bank robbery is the coolest major crime, y/n? I say yes.

the only thing that could really rival it is bootlegging during prohibition, now it stands alone once more

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

the only thing that could really rival it is bootlegging during prohibition, now it stands alone once more

Bootlegging itself was OK. But like mixing liquors when combined with other stuff poo poo went awry.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

R. Mute posted:

just hit my data limit again. i think they're legally no longer allowed to cut me off completely, but i am being throttled tae gently caress
that sucks, and it's only the 19th

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If your going to rob a bank you need to take hostages in the get away van and also carry automatic rifles.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

pangstrom posted:

I love real crime stuff but it has to be really curated. In real life 95% of the time EITHER the perpetrator's identity is super obvious OR, if it isn't, then the case is basically in stasis until somebody who knows what happened tells police.

https://youtu.be/0fzcA3RSVTQ

Berke Negri posted:

yeah but were talking like, one of the most powerful people in Mexico not like, some street gang boss

well, you've still got presidents of powerful counties that do incredibly stupid poo poo, except crime lords have the problem in that their moments of lucid stupidity take place in a context where a lot of people are trying to see them dead or in prison and they often don't have people on hand whose job in life is damage control.

i don't have anything off hand to cite and im lazy so im just being kind of full of poo poo about it right now

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

fade5 posted:

that sucks, and it's only the 19th
it resets the 20th but that's still at least six hours without fast internet

oh the torture !

still tho, datalimits are bad and dumb. 100gb (+25gb extension i bought last week) is so little these days. i made the mistake to stream a football match in hd last week and i ended up using 23gb that day. man.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Tiler Kiwi posted:

https://youtu.be/0fzcA3RSVTQ

well, you've still got presidents of powerful counties that do incredibly stupid poo poo, except crime lords have the problem in that their moments of lucid stupidity take place in a context where a lot of people are trying to see them dead or in prison and they often don't have people on hand whose job in life is damage control.

i don't have anything off hand to cite and im lazy so im just being kind of full of poo poo about it right now

It's not like all these past decades he's operated as he has cause the US and Mexico were like "ahhh we can't find him"

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I bet if you walked into a bank and handed the teller a note that said just "Give me the money" they'd do it.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

my favorite bank robbery gone bad was one where a guy knocked over a bank, then got curious, and called the police to ask if there was a warrant out for his arrest for bank robbery. police politely told him to hold while they checked, drove to his location, and arrested him.

Oh ffs, call from a pay phone then go chill across the street and keep an eye on it for an hour or two to see if they show up. (I'm assuming this is before cells).

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sharkie posted:

I bet if you walked into a bank and handed the teller a note that said just "Give me the money" they'd do it.

This happens all the time and it's pretty lol.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Sharkie posted:

And depending on jurisdiction might spend less time in jail if apprehended.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
attn disinterested and/or tesseraction plz come collect yr countryman The Saurus

he has immigrated to this, the country of freedom and liberty, and then spits in our faces by saying that boris johnson isnt that bad and hell maybe even trump likewise

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Randler posted:

And depending on jurisdiction might spend less time in jail if apprehended.

Yeah, obviously the goal is not to get caught but if the worst happens at least you wouldn't catch a weapons charge, or maybe not even a threat or assault charge. Or at least that's my thinking.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'd totally go against company policy and just beat the guys rear end.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Sharkie posted:

Yeah, obviously the goal is not to get caught but if the worst happens at least you wouldn't catch a weapons charge, or maybe not even a threat or assault charge. Or at least that's my thinking.

I wonder if you left a note stating that you did it for free health care and food if they'd give a lower sentence out of spite.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Sharkie posted:

Yeah it's pretty do-able, though you're relying on not getting unlucky and the scores aren't really huge.
http://thisiscriminal.com/episode-31-american-dream-11-17-2015/

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Disinterested posted:

Leo should win an Oscar for something before it gets embarrassing and they give him one for work outside of his prime like they did for scoresese

Even worse he just gets an honorary one like Peter o'toole or Sidney Poitier
I still can't believe DiCaprio is taken seriously as an actor. I'll grant he's had a couple of good turns, but they've been in screwball things like Catch Me If You Can. The Departed was decent and probably the last, best thing he did. Scorcese's man crush on him is inexplicable. How about you give roles to Cate Blanchett? To Oscar Isaac? To John Turturro? The list goes on of people who are really fantastic actors. Leo is not remotely one of them. This latest Oscar bait of his I have to see because it sounds just embarrassing.

On an Oscar related note, I took the day off and watched both Truth and Concussion last night. Both suffered from not being able to wrap the story, but there was some really decent acting in both. Especially Concussion. Redford was, as usual, phoning it in. Acted remotely like Rather once in the middle and once at the end. On the other hand, Keach and Blanchett killed. Concussion, everyone from David Morse to Will Smith did great. The writers hammed it up like crazy and missed the bigger story, but the acting was there. Wished they'd had better writing.

Sorkin and Boyle were solid in Jobs, but Fassbender just wasn't the right guy and the story outpaced the acting. Damon was, you know, fine in The Martian, but come on. I guess I need to see the other nominations, but as someone who could give a broad poo poo about NWA I was blown away by the performances in Straight Outta Compton. Who cares if it's fictionalized? JFK was made up as gently caress and brilliantly acted by several. Guy who played Ice Cube killed it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Democratic primary thread is currently my favorite thread

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
David Morse is cool and good.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The Democratic primary thread is currently my favorite thread

its real bad

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ReindeerF posted:

I still can't believe DiCaprio is taken seriously as an actor. I'll grant he's had a couple of good turns, but they've been in screwball things like Catch Me If You Can. The Departed was decent and probably the last, best thing he did. Scorcese's man crush on him is inexplicable. How about you give roles to Cate Blanchett? To Oscar Isaac? To John Turturro? The list goes on of people who are really fantastic actors. Leo is not remotely one of them. This latest Oscar bait of his I have to see because it sounds just embarrassing.

On an Oscar related note, I took the day off and watched both Truth and Concussion last night. Both suffered from not being able to wrap the story, but there was some really decent acting in both. Especially Concussion. Redford was, as usual, phoning it in. Acted remotely like Rather once in the middle and once at the end. On the other hand, Keach and Blanchett killed. Concussion, everyone from David Morse to Will Smith did great. The writers hammed it up like crazy and missed the bigger story, but the acting was there. Wished they'd had better writing.

Sorkin and Boyle were solid in Jobs, but Fassbender just wasn't the right guy and the story outpaced the acting. Damon was, you know, fine in The Martian, but come on. I guess I need to see the other nominations, but as someone who could give a broad poo poo about NWA I was blown away by the performances in Straight Outta Compton. Who cares if it's fictionalized? JFK was made up as gently caress and brilliantly acted by several. Guy who played Ice Cube killed it.

ur a good man...a good man

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sharkie posted:

http://longform.org/posts/the-longform-guide-to-bank-heists

http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-last-ride-of-cowboy-bob/

quote:

Schmitt could not take his eyes off her. Up until that point, he had interviewed approximately fifty bank robbers, all of them male. He had never before interviewed what he described as “a nice, normal-looking woman” who crossed her legs while she talked with him. “So why did you keep robbing banks?” he asked her.

But Peggy Jo never answered. She kept staring at a wall, shrugging her shoulders and shaking her head as if she wasn’t sure what else to tell him.

“I guess it was hard for her to admit just how much fun she had being a bank robber,” Cherry said.

Perhaps because she carried out her crimes without using weapons—or perhaps because the judge agreed with the defense attorney’s argument that Peggy Jo’s behavior was “completely out of character”—she received a mild, 33-month sentence. Michelle later went to see her at the federal prison in Bryan. “I knew that she was unhappy, confined to a cell most of the day,” Michelle said. “But she came out smiling, and she asked me all about me and my daughter. She didn’t say anything to me about the bank robberies. She didn’t say a single word. She just said it was something that would never happen again.”

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
The Departed was pretty meh. Maybe it's because the dubbed version does not bother with those silly regional accents.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
also the guy who played ice cube in straight outta compton is the son of ice cube

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Wahhhhhhhhhhh

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Son of Cube

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
hahaha oh gently caress yes

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

The Warszawa posted:

watching y'all talk pizza is like watching binow and rask talk editorial columnists

fuckin bad

you're just salty you can't eat pizza without feeling ashamed and guilty

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

The Warszawa posted:

also the guy who played ice cube in straight outta compton is the son of ice cube

This should make him Snow Flake imo

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

oh my god

"The film overflows with juicy moments about Mr. Weiner. As the second scandal unfolds in July 2013, Mr. Weiner is shown panicking; misleading the news media; and, at one point, racing through the back halls of a McDonald’s to avoid a woman with whom he traded inappropriate texts, whom his campaign code-named “Pineapple.”"

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

The title is "Wiener"

Enough said

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

you're just salty you can't eat pizza without feeling ashamed and guilty

lol if you think that is true

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
why are pizza guts a thing anyway

a slice of cheese should only be 250 cal right

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

i am not ashamed

* adds krugman line under 'opinions about game controllers' *

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

why are pizza guts a thing anyway

a slice of cheese should only be 250 cal right

lolll

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

sudo rm -rf posted:

* adds krugman line under 'opinions about game controllers' *

i was right about both of those things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

i was right about both of those things

try again

• Locked thread