Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Powershift posted:

Truck driver in the Broncos crash charged with 16 counts of dangerous driving causing death, 13 counts of dangerous driving causing injury.

On one hand, yeah, he did something wrong and people died. On the other, it shows the enormous liability truck drivers take on, and more should be done to make sure that they know how to drive, and are given the working conditions geared more towards safety.

For there to be charges pressed the police must have determined that the driver had consciously done something on his own to become liable, they mentioned his log book was compromised in some way. It will be an interesting trial.

Also

https://twitter.com/cbctom/status/1015348340295430146

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Fun fact: you can drive a 24 foot truck on a regular G license in Ontario

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1015286405235437569

Did anyone see the Conservative conspiracy theory that somehow a recent refugee is responsible for the bus crash and the PM was personally trying to cover this whole thing up to protect the Liberals immigration policies. Now it's shifted and hero RCMP officers are laying charges despite what the PM is telling them.

This is what upsets me. They trade so heavily in unverfiable packs of lies. Literally all problems are caused by liberals, muslims, and immigrants in the same way all evil is caused by the Devil. Why do I feel poor? Immigrants. How come my car is busted? Liberals. Stubbed my toe? Muslims.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION JUSTIN "THE HAIR" TRUDEAU JUST ELBOWED HER FROM ACROSS THE RING!!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Helsing posted:

Transport Canada only has the funding for like 6 nation-wide inspectors and they are support to cover trucking, rail, airplanes and boats

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Helsing posted:

In Alberta, the distinction is number of axles on the truck.

Here are some things you can drive with a regular class 5 license after you pass the license test in a smart car. (the first needs air brake endorsement)

You could probably train a monkey to pass the test for a class 1, especially these days with automatic trucks everywhere.

Also pretty disappointing, the company that was hauling insanely overweight loads through Edmonton had all the charges dropped.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4168472/charges-dropped-edmonton-trucking-company-overweight-loads/

One load was over 17,900kg overweight

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

Powershift posted:

Alberta trucking insanity

JFC :stare:

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Truck driver in the Broncos crash charged with 16 counts of dangerous driving causing death, 13 counts of dangerous driving causing injury.

On one hand, yeah, he did something wrong and people died. On the other, it shows the enormous liability truck drivers take on, and more should be done to make sure that they know how to drive, and are given the working conditions geared more towards safety.

One on hand, there should be much stricter regulations and training for operators of transport trucks.

On the other hand, you have to be responsible for your own actions and not run through red lights onto highways. Being that negligent when operating a giant killing machine is criminal.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
As someone who drives through all of BC, so on the highway the whole time, regularly, it's loving insane how bad at driving a lot of truck drivers are. Like, a very large percentage of them should straight up not be on the road.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

HookShot posted:

As someone who drives through all of BC, so on the highway the whole time, regularly, it's loving insane how bad at driving a lot of truck drivers are. Like, a very large percentage of them should straight up not be on the road.

I feel like there must be some aspect of driving for a living that makes people just stop caring about safety - cab drivers are the same way. I guess it's just like, you spend so much time doing it that you get more comfortable cutting corners (possibly literally).

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
When you're paid by the mile and a pittance at that you stop giving poo poo about anything but putting them behind you.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

HookShot posted:

Not even on an interior highway, I've almost been run off the road by trucks on loving Stewardson way

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HookShot posted:

That's just all drivers. People who drive all day tend to be more casual about it, but it's not like the average driver in Canada is all that good at it either.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

That's just all drivers. People who drive all day tend to be more casual about it, but it's not like the average driver in Canada is all that good at it either.

ftfy. Most people are just straight up bad drivers, no matter what nation you're in.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

HookShot posted:

They are awful across the board but the logging truckers straight up scare the poo poo out of me driving through the interior. I either give them a wide birth or I race ahead of them as soon as I get the opportunity. I had one run me off the road years ago when a log truck driver was having a race with another log truck driver through Lytton, B.C during a summer. They were going so fast I didn't get a license plate. Another time in 100 Mile House there was another one that careened around a a sharp, blind corner at about 60km/h and banked two wheels up in the air as it was making the turn. I honest to god thought that the truck was going to roll on top of my vehicle. It's like stuff that you would see on a Russian Dashcam compilation video. They need a shitton more regulation and enforcement of that regulation.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 7, 2018

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

EvilJoven posted:

When you're paid by the mile and a pittance at that you stop giving poo poo about anything but putting them behind you.

In the end, every problem is caused by capitalism

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Entorwellian posted:

They are awful across the board but the logging truckers straight up scare the poo poo out of me driving through the interior. I either give them a wide birth or I race ahead of them as soon as I get the opportunity. I had one run me off the road years ago when a log truck driver was having a race with another log truck driver through Lytton, B.C during a summer. They were going so fast I didn't get a license plate. Another time in 100 Mile House there was another one that careened around a a sharp, blind corner at about 60km/s and banked two wheels up in the air as it was making the turn. I honest to god thought that the truck was going to roll on top of my vehicle. It's like stuff that you would see on a Russian Dashcam compilation video. They need a shitton more regulation and enforcement of that regulation.

Also I don't know about out there, but here on the Sea to Sky they are always overloaded. 100% of the time. It's a god drat miracle that no one died when one flipped over while doing 140 on the S2S last year and hit 4 cars.

PittTheElder posted:

Oh for sure, but the average driver isn't driving a truck that weighs what, twenty times what your average car does? The standard for truck drivers absolutely should be higher, and I'm pretty sure at this point the average truck driver is actually a worse driver than your average idiot.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DariusLikewise posted:

For there to be charges pressed the police must have determined that the driver had consciously done something on his own to become liable, they mentioned his log book was compromised in some way. It will be an interesting trial.

Also

https://twitter.com/cbctom/status/1015348340295430146

YES #IBelieveSurvivors

https://twitter.com/cath_cullen/status/1015350234224963586

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/amp/steve-morgan/doug-ford-ohip_a_23476151/

Art of the deal, Dougie. Privatize that poo poo and gently caress over the people who voted for you whole they're convinced you're saving them. It's the libs fault for the hospitals anyways

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
So what exactly is that woman saying Trudeau did to her? I'm not at a computer and trying to find anything not vague on my phone is proving difficult.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

EvilJoven posted:

So what exactly is that woman saying Trudeau did to her? I'm not at a computer and trying to find anything not vague on my phone is proving difficult.

She was reporting at the event, he didn't realize she was working and he made inappropriate physical contact, then apologized the day later and she never met him again.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

EvilJoven posted:

This is the most detail I've seen:

quote:

CBC approached Knight about what happened, but at first she did not want to reveal her identity or be associated with the story. Valerie Bourne, a co-worker of Knight at the time, told CBC that the reporter was “distressed” after what happened, CBC reported. Bourne said it was a “brief touch” and “I would not classify it or qualify it as sexual assault.”

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

infernal machines posted:

Remember the outrage from conservatives when the Mayor of Toronto charged through a Councillor (an elderly woman, no less) to get to a fight his brother and fellow council member (now Premier) had picked with members of the gallery?

No? Yeah, me neither.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB1dJeMtb08

It paled in comparison to the other footage that was already out there.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My brother does training for a big trucking company here and told me once some dude literally fell asleep DURING the exam.

It’s insane what’s out there.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Vintersorg posted:

My brother does training for a big trucking company here and told me once some dude literally fell asleep DURING the exam.

It’s insane what’s out there.

I don't think insane is the wrong word

quote:

The written and road exams are far too easy, they say. Meikle said almost "anyone with a pulse" can get their Class 1 licence. The statistics appear to support their claims.

According to Saskatchewan Government Insurance, 73 per cent of the 2,051 students who took the test last year passed on their first try. SGI allows students to retest as soon as they can book an appointment, and it seems most do.

Roughly three-quarters of students pass on their second try. For the shrinking fraction that still need to keep coming back, passing rates for the third, fourth and fifth attempts are 67, 68 and 79 per cent respectively.

The one student who took the Class 1 exam for the eighth time last year passed.

The majority of these students pay to take a week or so of training. But more than 200 of them took no training at all, according to SGI.

That's because they don't have to.

Last year, Ontario became the first province where any training is mandatory. Drivers must take a minimum of 103 hours, or roughly three weeks, of training. In Saskatchewan and elsewhere, training remains optional.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tsyni posted:

This is the most detail I've seen:

I thought it was described as groping in her original article?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

zapplez posted:

I thought it was described as groping in her original article?

Ok, that's true, but her co-worker at the time is describing it as a brief touch she wouldn't consider sexual assault. That's simply the most detail about the grope that I've read.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Duggler posted:

Its not, you should get off the internet every once in a while

It is and the internet is right even if you have to get off it to dwell in some ignorance to regain your mental

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

berenzen posted:

ftfy. Most people are just straight up bad drivers, no matter what nation you're in.

I mean you're right, but that detracts from how bad North American drivers in general are. My experiences driving in Europe were amazing, people know what they're doing because the training and licensing system is actually screens on driving ability.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 7, 2018

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!

PittTheElder posted:

I mean you're right, but that detracts from how bad North American drivers in general are. My experiences driving in Europe were amazing, people know what they're doing because the training and licensing system is actually screens on driving ability.

Having moved from the UK to interior BC I find the people not dragging trailers of one sort or another around aren't too bad (taking sled/ATV trailers as way more of a 'stupid poo poo about to happen here' warning sign than the worst discount trucking company logo :v: ), and I have noticed that the people I work with who have about-to-be-driving-age kids have all chosen to get them pretty comprehensive driving lessons rather than just throw them in the family truck and let them figure it out which seems like a good sign, but I think it's magnified by road signage here being atrocious - broken signs, tiny fonts, awful/last-second placement - so if you don't know exactly where you're going you'll spend half your time trying to figure out what the hell's going on. How anyone ever got anything done here before GPS is beyond me.

Calgary, though, yikes. Was there on Tuesday and I think I saw more near-accidents in a morning than I had since getting off the plane last year, half overly aggressive and half just oblivious to everything going on around them. Must be absolutely nightmarish in winter when they can't see the road markings (or maybe it's better because they can't ignore them if they can't see them?)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

North American licensing/testing is such a joke it might as well not exist. You only need to watch something like Canada's worst drivers to see the system isn't working.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I drove in France recently and while most drivers were good, their driving being better is a pretty recent thing, at least in that country. heavy, heavy enforcement of speed limits, photo radar, and some reforms to their driving rules (restricting priorité a droite to certain areas of departmental roads) has drastically reduced accidents. So it's taken a serious, societal-level effort to make driving in that part of Europe less of a hazard.

There is something to be said for their roads being a lot more challenging (fun) to drive and fewer laid out in a grid pattern like ours. I think when you drive on straight roads all day you get lazy.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

You clearly haven't driven in Italy or Greece.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Pretty rad dad pad posted:

Calgary, though, yikes. Was there on Tuesday and I think I saw more near-accidents in a morning than I had since getting off the plane last year, half overly aggressive and half just oblivious to everything going on around them. Must be absolutely nightmarish in winter when they can't see the road markings (or maybe it's better because they can't ignore them if they can't see them?)
This mirrors exactly my experience with driving in Calgary, and I drive in Vancouver pretty regularly. People say Vancouver drivers are bad, but Calgary is on a while different level.

"I need to change lanes, better just throw my car to the right without checking to see if there's anyone already in that space, and God forbid I use my blinker"

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

If tractor-trailer/semi drivers drove as aggressively as regular drivers we’d be living in Mad Max every time you got on the road. There is very little margin for error driving those units so mistakes are amplified, both visually and in effect. Still, anecdotally I feel that there has definitely been a decline in semi driver “etiquette” the past 5-10 years here in post-boom SK. Increased aggression, speeding, taking chances, road raging etc. which should be drat near immediate grounds for losing your job if you’re driving a unit.

I saw a Super-B fighting 70+kmph cross wind badly the other day - his tail end kept getting pushed into the other lane) on the highway and he actually just pulled over and stopped his rig (which is meant to be S.O.P.). I just don’t think many of his fellow teamsters would bother stopping in that situation these days.

I got my 1A(irbrake) while working on a farm a few years back. Training was decent but optional and expensive. The start of a solution would be, of course, stricter regulatory enforcement but *Simpsons “taxes!” gif*.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

HookShot posted:

This mirrors exactly my experience with driving in Calgary, and I drive in Vancouver pretty regularly. People say Vancouver drivers are bad, but Calgary is on a while different level.

"I need to change lanes, better just throw my car to the right without checking to see if there's anyone already in that space, and God forbid I use my blinker"

Imagine a city full of Calgarians well past retirement age, rich enough to have a large RV in every second driveway. Welcome to the Parksville-Qualicum area. Mean, median, or mode, the oldest city in Canada, loaded with people who shouldn't have been licensed at 30, never mind 80.

Solidly conservative too. If it wasn't for Port Alberni and the rural areas we'd still have a CPC MP.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Dreylad posted:

I drove in France recently and while most drivers were good, their driving being better is a pretty recent thing, at least in that country. heavy, heavy enforcement of speed limits, photo radar, and some reforms to their driving rules (restricting priorité a droite to certain areas of departmental roads) has drastically reduced accidents. So it's taken a serious, societal-level effort to make driving in that part of Europe less of a hazard.

There is something to be said for their roads being a lot more challenging (fun) to drive and fewer laid out in a grid pattern like ours. I think when you drive on straight roads all day you get lazy.

Priorité à la droite is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HookShot posted:

Danger vehicles to watch in Calgary: Cobalts, Sunfires, Grand Caravans, Neons and every god damned lifted pick-up.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I find Toyota drivers (Corollas, Camrys) to be the worst drivers on the road and you have to watch them constantly for any dumb random thing they might do. Stop for no reason, drive 5kph under the limit until you attempt a pass, signalling totally optional etc.

Also what is with people who turn left doing a little deak to the right like their modern automobile requires turning like a loving hay wagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Lol Rosie DiManno just said Justin Trudeau is such a feminist he's "practically transgender"