Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Cygnus X-1 posted:

I'm getting a new drumset for the first time since the late 80's. I'm getting the new Phoenix line from Yamaha, I'm pretty excited. This is the finish (but not the setup I'm getting):

I plan on posting some video footage when they're setup in the shed.

Ooh. I have a nice custom kit and don't see much on SA that inspires drum envy, but a Phoenix set is definitely one I'd like to sit in behind... let us know how it sounds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Guitar Center is doing their 15% off one item promotion. Curiosity finally got the best of me and I bought their Delta Lab chorus pedal. No complaints so far, it does what a chorus pedal is supposed to do/sounds like one. I'm happy enough with this one that I'll probably pick up their digital delay online Sunday (15% off!) since they were sold out at the physical store. True bypass of course, or at least there's nine leads feeding into the mainboard directly under the switch. Knobs have a weird rubberized coating thats not going to age well, but on the plus side, the battery compartment has a rubber foot, unlike the Frequency boost we all bought last month. Not a big deal to most but I don't have a pedal board and it's resting on hardwood floors:

Also I accidentally ended up at a cigar store on the way home from buying the pedal, so now I'm working on a (second) cigar box guitar. Yes, those are F-holes (or an approximation, anyways). You can't see from this angle but there's a 1/4" input jack in the rear attached to an internal piezo pickup. My first experiment with one of these guitars was a disaster so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Also I just ordered the parts to build a Peep, which is going into an ongoing pedal project. I spend more time building this stuff than actually playing with it. :downs: The parts cost pennies (literally) so I bought enough to add one to my Holy Stain plus two maybe for ebay.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Cygnus X-1 posted:

I'm getting a new drumset for the first time since the late 80's. I'm getting the new Phoenix line from Yamaha, I'm pretty excited. This is the finish (but not the setup I'm getting).

Congratulations on your recent renewed interest in making music!

Ghostpilots
Sep 24, 2004

Vigilant Sidekick

Carbohydrates posted:

So I guess I've got a tele?

Buddy of mine's trying to sell this so he gave it to me to snap some photos and put up some listings but I kinda like it. I think I might buy it from him myself.

Body's gotta go, though. I don't like 3-tone sunburst.

I have a jet-black tele custom. It's MIA 03; wanna trade?

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Got a specific request? I could fire up the old Fostex MR-8 HD and give you some poor-quality 3-octave scales...

just extended chording and whatnot.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Pirateparty posted:

ML, meet my new wife:

Get some new pickups in there stat. Also, enjoy the strap locks, I had the same ones (in the same colour) on my RG1527 and they're awesome.

simreal
Jun 21, 2003
Since I was a kid I have wanted to learn to play guitar. I once traded a racquetball racket for an electric guitar. I would plug it into my stereo and strum the strings. As I recall it was a sort of flying V type guitar. I don't recall what happened to that guitar but I never did learn to play it.

So recently my wife decided she wanted to learn to play. Initially I bought a guitar on from a seller on ebay.com. I spent like $35 and it was truly a piece of poo poo. I hadn't done any research so even though I knew it wouldn't be that great I was surprised bow the pile of crap that it was.

This past Christmas I bought my wife a Spencer Acoustic. It's a nice little guitar for the $99 I paid for it.

I apologize for my terrible photographic skills (or lack of).

This guitar may have been the end of except ... A couple of months ago I was flipping through the channels and HSN had this Esteban Acoustic with an Amp, Stand, and Instruction DVDs. I should have know better than buy anything from HSN. Unfortunately I didn't and below is the product of my insanity.

I ended up buying two of these Amps. The 1st came in the package and because the automated sytem asks you if you want the amp I made the assumption the package didn't have the amp in it. So I bought one (and ended up with two)

This guitar isn't bad. It's not worth what we paid ($375 for the package + an extra amp I accidentally bought) but it's not a bad guitar.

I started getting the guitar bug and finally decided I would learn to play myself.

I stopped by the local pawn shot to see what they had. Here is what I went home with

$80 Fender Starcaster

And $40 Marshal MG10 Amp

Ultimately we agreed to take lessons and in that vein I stopped by the local music shop. While I was there inquiring about guitars lessons I had a look at their selection.

I of course decided the Starcaster wouldn't do and ended up with was the Epiphone SG G-400.

$375 Epiphone SG G-400

Actual Photo
http://www.photogalleryshare.com/guitars/epiphonesgg-400.jpg
I also picked up a little VOX amp.

$175 Vox DA10

Soon after this my Kids all decided they wanted to learn guitar too. I gave the Starcaster to my teenage boys to learn on and for my 5 and 7 year olds I bought this:

$130 Ibanez GRGM21MJB

Actual photo:
http://www.photogalleryshare.com/guitars/ibanez.jpg

By this time my wife had seen the electrics and of course decided she wanted one. I agreed to give her G-400 and buy myself one nicer than the SG. We went shopping. After looking at ESP, Scheckter, Ibanez, and Fender we found ourselves back at the Gibson dealer.

I'm not sure how it happened but instead of buying myself a new guitar we bought her the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II. It has the NanoMag Acoustic Bridge. I'm extremely jealous.

$799 Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II

Actual Photos
http://www.photogalleryshare.com/guitars/epiphonelespaulultraii.jpg
http://www.photogalleryshare.com/guitars/epiphonelespaulultraiibody.jpg

Then ... while waiting for my 15 year old sons first lesson we picked up a lesser Epiphone Sg for him.

$150 Epiphone SG Sepcial

Actual Photo:
http://www.photogalleryshare.com/guitars/epiphonesg.jpg

And finally ... I picked up a Line 6 Spider jam 75 Watt Amp.

$450 Line 6 Spider Jam

These purchases have all come in the last 5 months. I think thats recent enough to qualify as "newest purchase".
In the next few months I will buy myself a Gibson Les Paul (I haven't decided which one yet). Or I may pacify my desire for a new guitar by picking up an Agile from https://www.rondomusic.com if they get the one I want back in stock.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
So have you actually learned to play any of those guitars yet? Unless you or one of your family members is some kind of guitar prodigy and is already awesome, don't be one of those guys that goes out and drops a ton of money on a Gibson in your first year of learning to play - it'll really just be a waste. You probably should have stopped a few guitars ago (at least when you got into the Epiphones) and just put the time and money towards lessons and not new gear. A practiced and talented player can make even a lovely instrument sound good, but even the best guitar will not make a lovely player sound good.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but based on all the stuff you've just bought, it looks pretty excessive and unneccesary, and that's coming from someone with like 14 guitars/basses (and as many years playing). I really hope you stick with it and get good so that all that gear/money doesn't go to waste.

simreal
Jun 21, 2003

JohnnySmitch posted:

So have you actually learned to play any of those guitars yet? Unless you or one of your family members is some kind of guitar prodigy and is already awesome, don't be one of those guys that goes out and drops a ton of money on a Gibson in your first year of learning to play - it'll really just be a waste. You probably should have stopped a few guitars ago (at least when you got into the Epiphones) and just put the time and money towards lessons and not new gear. A practiced and talented player can make even a lovely instrument sound good, but even the best guitar will not make a lovely player sound good.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but based on all the stuff you've just bought, it looks pretty excessive and unneccesary, and that's coming from someone with like 14 guitars/basses (and as many years playing). I really hope you stick with it and get good so that all that gear/money doesn't go to waste.

I am learning. I've had 4 lessons and I'm really enjoying it.

I would agree it's a lot of guitars but one thing I didn't mention is that even with all of these guitars I still have kids that don't have their own guitar.

My wife is the only one with multiple guitars. She has the 2 acoustics and the Les Paul.

I intend to buy many more guitars. Not often though because now that I know more about guitars and playing them I will be more picky and invest in better guitars.

I don't think you're being harsh at all. I respect what you have to say. I agree if I was to quit after a year it will have been a waste.

At this point I have 7 guitars for 8 people and my wife owns three of those 7 guitars. I don't think thats too excessive. In fact if more of my kids would express an interest in playing I would buy more guitars.

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy
I would recommend Rondo's, I've used one on stage and in the studio many times and it performed just as well if not better than every Epiphone I've played. Epiphones are perfect for kids as well as adults starting out. But I'd say wait to see if one of your kids decides guitar isn't for them before buying any more. That way you could use his guitar as a hand-me-down.

simreal
Jun 21, 2003

Pirateparty posted:

I would recommend Rondo's, I've used one on stage and in the studio many times and it performed just as well if not better than every Epiphone I've played. Epiphones are perfect for kids as well as adults starting out. But I'd say wait to see if one of your kids decides guitar isn't for them before buying any more. That way you could use his guitar as a hand-me-down.

Thats a good idea. But I already have the Epiphone SG G400. The only thing I'll replace it with is a Gibson. I don't think I'll be ready for that for a while though.

I do want to buy an Agile. I was going to buy the AG-3000 in Tribal blue before they sold out. Thats the only reason I bought myself the G-400. If they come back in stock this summer I'll go ahead and buy one. I don't think it's that bad to have 2 guitars.

If my kids decide they don't want to play guitar anymore it wont be a big deal. I only spent $350 for all three of their guitars total. If they collect dust it wont be a huge deal. I'm sure one of the other boys will use it anyway.

I have 6 boys and a girl who all want to play guitar.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Ghostpilots posted:

I have a jet-black tele custom. It's MIA 03; wanna trade?
Send me an email: ~

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 13, 2009

simon christ
Aug 12, 2006
that's the problem, i'm too attractive to women
thinkin' about picking up a Baja Telecaster

any of you dudes got one?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

simreal posted:

I am learning. I've had 4 lessons and I'm really enjoying it.

I would agree it's a lot of guitars but one thing I didn't mention is that even with all of these guitars I still have kids that don't have their own guitar.

My wife is the only one with multiple guitars. She has the 2 acoustics and the Les Paul.

I intend to buy many more guitars. Not often though because now that I know more about guitars and playing them I will be more picky and invest in better guitars.

I don't think you're being harsh at all. I respect what you have to say. I agree if I was to quit after a year it will have been a waste.

At this point I have 7 guitars for 8 people and my wife owns three of those 7 guitars. I don't think thats too excessive. In fact if more of my kids would express an interest in playing I would buy more guitars.

Cool - rock on then! With so many guitars in the house, you might want to look into how to do some of your own set-work to keep everything playing well (how to adjust the neck and action, intonation, basic repairs, etc) - it's pretty easy to lose interest in playing when your guitar is giving you troubles/won't stay in tune/etc. A little know-how will save you a lot of money and frustration down the line. Also, might as well buy strings in bulk - you're going to be breaking strings, and it's going to get really old buying a new pack just for a B or high E string.

On the Rondo stuff - I highly recommend their guitars, especially next to some of the off-brand stuff you've already got. Just keep in mind that they are still cheap for a reason, and may need a little more attenion as far as initial set-up when you first get them.

Also, try to get one or two of your kids into bass and/or percussion - the world's got PLENTY of guitarists, and they'll probably stick with it better if they can jam together.

simreal
Jun 21, 2003

JohnnySmitch posted:

Cool - rock on then! With so many guitars in the house, you might want to look into how to do some of your own set-work to keep everything playing well (how to adjust the neck and action, intonation, basic repairs, etc) - it's pretty easy to lose interest in playing when your guitar is giving you troubles/won't stay in tune/etc. A little know-how will save you a lot of money and frustration down the line. Also, might as well buy strings in bulk - you're going to be breaking strings, and it's going to get really old buying a new pack just for a B or high E string.

On the Rondo stuff - I highly recommend their guitars, especially next to some of the off-brand stuff you've already got. Just keep in mind that they are still cheap for a reason, and may need a little more attenion as far as initial set-up when you first get them.

Also, try to get one or two of your kids into bass and/or percussion - the world's got PLENTY of guitarists, and they'll probably stick with it better if they can jam together.

Lots of good suggestions.

All of the Epiphones I purchased come with unlimited free setups for the first year. This will give me some time to pickup on that kind of stuff.

I have one son playing Trumpet and another playing Drums. My little Drummer is one of the ones who wanted to learn guitar. I'll allow him to explore both if he chooses. I think it's fantastic.

Any tips on where to buy strings in bulk? I haven't broken a string yet but I do expect it to happen often.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

simreal posted:

Any tips on where to buy strings in bulk? I haven't broken a string yet but I do expect it to happen often.

I buy these. I have over a dozen guitars of my own that I regularly maintain, and I love these things. The cool part is that each string gauge is separate from the others, so if you break a high E string, you don't have to go tearing through a pack and taking only what you need (doing that would mean that, inevitably, you will end up with 20 packs of guitar strings containing only low Es and As). As far as price, it's not amazing unless it's on sale, averaging about $4 per full set of strings (I stocked up when Musiciansfriend had a sale; $60 each, meaning about $2.60 per full set of strings). Also, they're good strings, so you're not sacrificing quality.

If you want to learn more about setups and poo poo, consider picking up this.

simreal
Jun 21, 2003

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

Stuff...

If you want to learn more about setups and poo poo, consider picking up this.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

simreal posted:

Lots of good suggestions.

All of the Epiphones I purchased come with unlimited free setups for the first year. This will give me some time to pickup on that kind of stuff.

I have one son playing Trumpet and another playing Drums. My little Drummer is one of the ones who wanted to learn guitar. I'll allow him to explore both if he chooses. I think it's fantastic.

Another strings site: https://www.juststrings.com

simreal
Jun 21, 2003
Thanks Doomy,

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

simon christ posted:

thinkin' about picking up a Baja Telecaster

any of you dudes got one?

I've played several of these. They're the best teles to come out in that price range pretty much ever. I really like them a lot.

All About Trout
Jul 17, 2007

MorbidYak posted:

I've got an early 80's princeton chorus and its got a reverb tank...

That does look like a footswitch for a princeton chorus though.

Yeah it's only the m-80 that lacks a reverb, I didn't say that right. My friend has the bass head version, It's ugly as hell and the chorus sucks but it's not too bad. They sell for dirt now.

websterandwebster
Feb 20, 2007

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

words.

When exactly do you and other people break your strings? I've found this strange that I hear people talking about breaking string a lot. Because I've been playing for about 4 years, and I havn't broken one string. I don't know if my playing style is different that makes my strings last or whatever, but I don't think simreal should need to buy a whole heap of strings cause they will definitely break. I agree that having spares is good, for when you want to replace them all, especially with 7 guitars, but from my experience strings dont break that often. Or I might just be out of the ordinary, I dunno?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

websterandwebster posted:

When exactly do you and other people break your strings? I've found this strange that I hear people talking about breaking string a lot. Because I've been playing for about 4 years, and I havn't broken one string. I don't know if my playing style is different that makes my strings last or whatever, but I don't think simreal should need to buy a whole heap of strings cause they will definitely break. I agree that having spares is good, for when you want to replace them all, especially with 7 guitars, but from my experience strings dont break that often. Or I might just be out of the ordinary, I dunno?

it really depends on tension/what you play with (some dumbasses play with nickels), but I never break low strings, only high ones, and only like 5 times a year. I don't know what you're doing, but it doesn't matter anyway, if you have to replace them every once in a while you might as well break a few.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

You should really be replacing them regularly anyway though so they don't get dull and covered in poo poo.

websterandwebster
Feb 20, 2007

Stux posted:

You should really be replacing them regularly anyway though so they don't get dull and covered in poo poo.

Yeah, exactly. I change mine probably once a month. As I keep telling my friend who's had his first guitar for about 8 months and hasn't changed the strings yet. I'm actually really glad I havn't broken a string, I'm too afraid of losing an eye or something whilst playing.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Yeah, exactly. I change mine probably once a month. As I keep telling my friend who's had his first guitar for about 8 months and hasn't changed the strings yet. I'm actually really glad I havn't broken a string, I'm too afraid of losing an eye or something whilst playing.

I hate people who do that, theres nothing worse than playing someones guitar where the frets and strings are covered in gunk and make your hand smell.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I recommended the bulk strings mainly because he's got his kids playing on cheap instruments with cheap hardware - most of the cheaper guitars that I've played on have some less-than-ideal string contact points that can really up the rate of string breakage. Changing tunings a lot can sometimes affect string life as well, along with not keeping your strings clean. And sometimes strings just seem to break for no apparent reason - I just recently broke a brand new string on one of my acoustics (a well-maintained acoustic and pretty expensive strings) during the very first time tuning it up, which pissed me off to no end. Thankfully, I had some spares.

As a side note, I've also met several people who gave up playing a guitar because of a broken string - they literally stopped trying to learn because they didn't know how to put new strings on, and didn't want to go through the hassle of learning how or getting someone else to put them on. Blows my mind.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Scarf posted:

I think I'm gonna drop $250 on a Krappy Guitars "Twiggy" 4-string. (3-string is pictured from some dude on TalkBass)

http://www.krappyguitars.com

Talked to Kevin the Krapmeister. Gonna send him a Gotoh bridge and some Schaller tuners to slap on there when he's building it for me. I wanted a little more adjustability in it.

Gonna have to disassemble and reassemble two of the tuners so it can be set up as a 2+2.

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

I will show you wonderful, terrible things

getfuct posted:

i found a fender heartfield talon i'm contemplating on picking up. the heartfields are killer guitars that fender contracted to fujigen gakki to test out their R&D. they're basically late 80s ibanez RGs, but without the shortcomings.

it's got some character to it, but with a few bucks in fixer-upper money i'll have a rippin axe.

I used to own that exact same guitar. They are loving fantastic. Amazing neck, great feel and everything. It has an H/S/H route, so swapping pickups is a complete breeze. The only problem is getting a replacement pickguard. I had butchered the pickguard to accomodate an H/S/H config, and ordered a nicely cut one from Pickguard Heaven. They hosed it up. twice.

You are going to love the guitar. The FRII is quality, so no worries about having to swap that out. Treat her well and she'll do great things for you.

Pale Sickly Trevor
Sep 28, 2001

it sounds awesome!
i recommend his pedals: http://www.cmatmods.com/

i also just got an sp-555. weird noise experiments ahoy

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Should be a cool week. Got the Tim coming in, and I just placed an order to a dealer for Barber Electronics to grab this new thing he's got out...

Capable of low-medium to high-gain, cascaded JFET/MOSFET design. Just $99 as the introductory price, despite sounding (in clips) really, really fantastic.

Expect more when I get it in. I had originally planned to buy direct, but these are so popular that they've got like a 4-8 week lead time right now so I poked around and it turned out Pedalgeek has some in stock. Free shipping, too, despite the fact that it costs them like $13 according to the invoice.

getfuct
Jun 20, 2006

What kinda fucked up tour is this?

Lord Fizzlebottom posted:

I used to own that exact same guitar. They are loving fantastic. Amazing neck, great feel and everything. It has an H/S/H route, so swapping pickups is a complete breeze. The only problem is getting a replacement pickguard. I had butchered the pickguard to accomodate an H/S/H config, and ordered a nicely cut one from Pickguard Heaven. They hosed it up. twice.

You are going to love the guitar. The FRII is quality, so no worries about having to swap that out. Treat her well and she'll do great things for you.

I actually decided to forgo the Heartfield for now. I realized how badly i need effects/EQ/NR in my rig, so i bought a digitech RP20 on ebay today on the cheap.

kamapuaa
May 12, 2007
Bulbous, yet agile.

Raze posted:

I'm told the only difference between the dual and triple these days is the clean headroom. Can you confirm/deny this? Also, eBay will have triple/duals for at least half of what your local music stores has them listed.

It's my understanding that Dual and Triple rectifier models are extremely similar, with the main functional difference being that the Dual Rec is 100 watts while the Triple Rec is 150 watts.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

When exactly do you and other people break your strings?

I don't really ever break my strings. Keep in mind, I'm a guitar tech, and I do work on guitars for everyone from young children to old fogeys long retired from the touring circuit. Many beginners, particularly young children, break them often due to poor technique, poor/inexperienced attempt at restringing/setup, poor craftsmanship of the guitar, etc. On my own guitars I will be more prone to replacing individual strings for reasons other than breakage; To switch tunings while maintaining certain tensions (or simply to customize tension), because a string got particularly dirty for one reason or another, etc.

Most everyone breaks strings now and then, even Eddie Van Halen and BB King do it now and again. In fact, BB King strings his guitar so that he utilizes all of the winding for the precise reason that, when he breaks a string and it snaps at the tuner, there's enough slack that he can simply straighten out the string, re-insert the string through the tuner, re-tune the guitar, and resume playing, all within a couple measures.

The mention of "breakage" was just one example of why the whole "individual compartments" thing is handy; not the penultimate reason why I recommend the item.

And, again, you should change the strings on a guitar at least every six months. And every six months is if you're one of those people, like me, that like the dull, slightly deadened sound of old strings. If you're not, you should change your strings at least bimonthly, but preferably either biweekly or monthly. I know some people that change their strings every other day (and that's not them just being anal; they do it for good reason and reap a definite benefit from it).

quote:

it really depends on tension/what you play with (some dumbasses play with nickels)

:colbert: Nickels have a particular sound of which I am not unfond. I don't use them, but I think they sound pretty good.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

If you're gigging you should be putting on new strings and breaking them in before almost every gig if you can. Also always replace a whole set at a time even if you only break one (unless you're in the middle of a gig or something obviously).

Shalkore
Oct 11, 2007

Welcome to 2012!
Got my Agile 3000 CSB (Mine isn't fretless)
http://www.rondomusic.com/AL3000csbfl.html

I love the poo poo outta this thing. Nice and heavy. Really low action. Playable right outta the box. ML is awesome, never would've found Rondo without it.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Shalkore posted:

Got my Agile 3000 CSB (Mine isn't fretless)
http://www.rondomusic.com/AL3000csbfl.html

I love the poo poo outta this thing. Nice and heavy. Really low action. Playable right outta the box. ML is awesome, never would've found Rondo without it.

ML is awesome, but you have to explain why you didn't get the fretless version :colbert:

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

Agreed posted:

Should be a cool week. Got the Tim coming in, and I just placed an order to a dealer for Barber Electronics to grab this new thing he's got out...

Capable of low-medium to high-gain, cascaded JFET/MOSFET design. Just $99 as the introductory price, despite sounding (in clips) really, really fantastic.

Expect more when I get it in. I had originally planned to buy direct, but these are so popular that they've got like a 4-8 week lead time right now so I poked around and it turned out Pedalgeek has some in stock. Free shipping, too, despite the fact that it costs them like $13 according to the invoice.

let me know how that turns out. i've been really curious about this pedal. it always seems to come up when high gain pedals are discussed, typically after the Boss Metal Zone is (rightfully) met with upturned noses.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

MasterWerk posted:

let me know how that turns out. i've been really curious about this pedal. it always seems to come up when high gain pedals are discussed, typically after the Boss Metal Zone is (rightfully) met with upturned noses.

I definitely will let you know what I think, I really like the idea behind it (cascaded gain stage dirt pedals are my favorite) and the price is awesome, $99 introductory price for a unique and - from clips - great sounding pedal. I've offered to review it for the may FrugalGuitarist since I'll have it in well before then, if Will wants it then you can expect a pretty thorough evaluation. Otherwise I'll do a mini-review like I did for the Pro Tone Jason Becker Distortion on my blog with some clips.

Speaking of the Jason Becker...

Plugging Frugal's upcoming issue: We're doing a Marshall-in-a-Box comparison!

Pedals in the roundup will be, in no particular order:

Vox Amplug (the british-flavored one)
AMT M1
Tech 21 British
Pro Tone Jason Becker
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
Radial ToneBone Hot British
Fulltone OCD
SOS Defibrillator
First Act V-Stack
Edit: Heard back, add...
Wampler Plextortion
Wampler Super Plextortion

I don't know that after this roundup (which will, of course, include clips of each pedal) you'll be able to say, of the pedals included, "X is definitely better than Y which is better than Z" etc.; maybe that'll happen for you, I don't know, but our focus won't be on trying to put together a hierarchy but instead to offer a good survey of available gear. The goal is to showcase each item, go over its features and capabilities, and try to come up with a good, enjoyable article at the end of it that will be useful to our readers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shatner
Apr 27, 2006
Cpt. Kirk
I just went from this:

To This:

Enough said.