Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

The Internet says it could also be because A* leather is drier/not as soft as Dainese when first purchased. With saddle soap or another softener it should fix some of the tight spots in A*. But who knows v:confused:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Italians are not tall. Check Rev'it, it's quality stuff and they seem to cut longer for taller people (they're Dutch, for what that's worth.)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Rev'It is great and about equally priced to Dainese but I feel paranoid buying anything online. I can walk into a store, try two of the same piece of clothing, and each will fit completely differently. I know Revzilla offers free returns though. Anybody ever order four jackets in four different sizes to see what fits them best?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Snowdens Secret posted:

Italians are not tall. Check Rev'it, it's quality stuff and they seem to cut longer for taller people (they're Dutch, for what that's worth.)

This is ironic - my mother is Dutch! I'll look into it, damned if I can find a Rev'It dealer in Halifax (or Dainese for that matter).

Correction, not ironic, just a coincidence. :downs:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 30, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Xovaan posted:

Rev'It is great and about equally priced to Dainese but I feel paranoid buying anything online. I can walk into a store, try two of the same piece of clothing, and each will fit completely differently. I know Revzilla offers free returns though. Anybody ever order four jackets in four different sizes to see what fits them best?

Close, I ordered three sizes of a dianese one piece suit. Still ended up picking one slightly large but they didn't mind.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

KARMA! posted:

Rev'it objectively owns.

Still true.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Anybody got hookups for discounted racing leathers? My suit is really toasted. Looking for a new one-piece in size US 36 or small 38. I'm 5'8" #135-140.

Non-perforated is preferable but I'll take what I can get. Looking to spend under $800.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nitramster posted:

Funny, all the aplinestars stuff I tried on (eventually bought a 54 euro size) seemed to run tight on me. I'm 6' 155, pretty slender.

Me too. As in, really tight. As in, at least one maybe even two sizes undersized.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Anybody got hookups for discounted racing leathers? My suit is really toasted. Looking for a new one-piece in size US 36 or small 38. I'm 5'8" #135-140.

Non-perforated is preferable but I'll take what I can get. Looking to spend under $800.

Ebay, craigslist, local forums (or BARF) motorcycle superstore on closeout, or one of the custom leathers from pakistan guys if you can find one.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/alpinestars-t-dyno-textile-jacket.html
http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/alpinestars-a-star-beanie.html

Bought the jacket in red, and the Alpinestars beanie to bump it over $100 for free shipping. I know I'm paying for shipping by buying the beanie but I want a cool beanie anyway. I really like the jacket's retro look and would definitely prefer it in leather but leather pickings are slim on that site by now.

My girlfriend totally one-upped me with these:

http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/icon-hella-crossbone-womens-jacket.html "Crusader"
http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/alpinestars-stella-sp-2-gloves-81844.html Red
http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/hjc-cl-16-slayer-helmet.html Silver

Neither of us have bikes yet. :3: My course is in April!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
This is my first winter with a bike, so I was hoping someone could suggest a good base layer. I'm in central TX (Austin) and it doesn't exactly get super-cold, but sunny low 40s and mid-30s aren't unheard of. Add the effects of wind, and it's probably wise to have something that insulates well. I have a mesh summer jacket and an old (non-perforated) leather one that was given to me and will need replacement soonish.

Of course, as I write this:

... right. Base layers.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
For mid 30s just put your liner in one of your jackets and wear a sweater/hoodie under it. Same deal with pants, except using a pair of sweatpants. Works for me and my friends, but we're probably more cold blooded up here.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Honestly I get by fine with my liner in my shift jacket here in TX. Even jeans with boots on is fine. Honestly gloves are the weakest part. I usually wear my gauntlets if it's going to be really cold but even those don't protect that well.

It's such a short period of the year that I tend to just get by with what I have instead of shelling out for something I'll use for maybe a month.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I bought a liner for my gloves and it helped a ton. But on some mornings I need to put my hands behind my exhaust at lights and on my engine in order to melt off the ice and warm my finger tips. :ohdear:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

The sumo is nice since the radiators are exposed near the tank. Makes it nice to put your fingertips on at stoplights.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

stevobob posted:

http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/alpinestars-t-dyno-textile-jacket.html
http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/alpinestars-a-star-beanie.html

Bought the jacket in red, and the Alpinestars beanie to bump it over $100 for free shipping. I know I'm paying for shipping by buying the beanie but I want a cool beanie anyway. I really like the jacket's retro look and would definitely prefer it in leather but leather pickings are slim on that site by now.

My girlfriend totally one-upped me with these:

http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/icon-hella-crossbone-womens-jacket.html "Crusader"
http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/alpinestars-stella-sp-2-gloves-81844.html Red
http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/hjc-cl-16-slayer-helmet.html Silver

Neither of us have bikes yet. :3: My course is in April!

Their closeouts have some pretty good prices although the sizes are pretty slim pickings.

I was able to score these in black on their boxing day sale for $20 each less than they are now:
http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/alpinestars-one-o-one-jacket.html

http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/alpinestars-breeze-air-flo-jacket.html

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I've thrifted a couple made-for-golf pull-over windbreakers. They're awesome, they do as they say: break the wind. I wear a long sleeve shirt, one of those, my mesh jacket, previously mentioned UnderArmour balaclava and some Fly racing gauntlets and I'm good down to the low 30s

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
When it's cold I wear a fleece under my lined jacket. If you do this it's a good idea to think about a size bigger on the jacket for fit. Insulated overpants and a Balaclava or scarf will make a huge difference; you lose a ton of heat out your legs and neck.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Xovaan posted:

I bought a liner for my gloves and it helped a ton. But on some mornings I need to put my hands behind my exhaust at lights and on my engine in order to melt off the ice and warm my finger tips. :ohdear:

Once you spend money for heated gloves - even if you use them only a couple times a year - you will wonder why you never did this before. Mine are really basic with an on / off switch and even so are fantastic. Jackets with liners make it easy to route the connections between the layers so you don't have to put them in before every ride.

Your hands are how you interface with the bike; regardless of the (sometimes immense) discomfort, letting them get numb or stiff isn't safe. I took a few cross-country rides in the rain and in 50 degree (F) weather, which doesn't sound cold until you've done it for three or four hours and suddenly your hands don't work anymore. That's the sort of situation it makes sense to spend some money to avoid.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Does anyone have the A* 365 gloves? I'm trying to find a pair of gloves that'll work for WI winter this winter (maybe with a set of liners,) and then be suitable for all-season all-weather riding in the Bay Area for when we move some time this year. I do have heated grips on the SV.

Right now I'm using northface snowboarding gloves and they are less than ideal.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Does anyone have the A* 365 gloves? I'm trying to find a pair of gloves that'll work for WI winter this winter (maybe with a set of liners,) and then be suitable for all-season all-weather riding in the Bay Area for when we move some time this year. I do have heated grips on the SV.

Right now I'm using northface snowboarding gloves and they are less than ideal.

WI winters are going to all but require heated gloves unless you are just doing very short trips. Even with grip heaters, liners, winter gloves and hand guards on my SV I don't like riding without the heated gloves if it is under 30 for more that a few miles, in WI that is most of the winter.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
My commute is only two miles and realistically the amount of time it'll be cold enough to need heated gloves PLUS the roads are dry is pretty low. I'm warm enough with my northface gloves but they're too stiff to operate the throttle smoothly.

What hand guards are on your SV? V-Stroms?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I have one of these:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...=45&zmap=162886

Unfortunately it sustained some damaged on my spill back in October, and the zippers are kinda tearing off a bit, so i'm looking into getting a Kriega R25 backpack.

http://www.kriega.us/r25-motorcycle-backpack/

Everyone on here that has a Kriega love theirs and worth the premium price? :3

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I have a Kriega R30. I'm gonna be honest when I say that I use my Axio tank bag a lot more (allows me to use my high vis safety vest when I'm commuting :gay: ) but if I had to pick a backpack, Kriega would be it. The strap system is really really good, they're sleek and wonderfully built, and hold a ton of stuff. Having tried on a bunch of packs from Cycle Gear and House of Motorcycles, nothing really compares. Also, if you sign up for their mailing list, you can sometimes score pretty sweet deals on quirky little extras too.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I also have a Kreiga R30 and used it everyday when I had an actual commute to work. Held all of my gear (including full-length boots) and stayed dry in some pretty heavy downpours. It also made me look like a motorcycle messenger; it's a pretty cool looking backpack.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

My commute is only two miles and realistically the amount of time it'll be cold enough to need heated gloves PLUS the roads are dry is pretty low. I'm warm enough with my northface gloves but they're too stiff to operate the throttle smoothly.

What hand guards are on your SV? V-Stroms?

Ah if that is all you're doing then you can get away with a decent set of winter riding gloves. I forget not everyone is stuck with a half hour commute. In that case any of the winter riding gloves should work ok.

Yup V-Strom, semi bolt up. Have to move a few things a bit but I think the the first time I put them on only took ~30 minutes. They don't block a ton of wind but it is better than nothing.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

All you fools with Kriega gear that don't use it should sell it off. I could be forced to take it off your hands if persuaded, for a small fee.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Yeah more Kriega love here. I've a R35 and the US20 tailpack. Most days the tailpack is enough for the commute but i do occasionally use the R35 for commuting or shopping. Also for touring or camping the combo can hold most of my stuff, the tailpack is waterproof and the backpack is drat close to waterproof.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
R35 love here. Can't imagine riding without it, fits nicely over any gear, including leathers with a speed hump.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

R35 love here. Can't imagine riding without it, fits nicely over any gear, including leathers with a speed hump.

[Nelson]
Ha-ha
[/Nelson]

(I knew you'd finally see the light ;) )

Kriega gear is awesome. If you're even CONSIDERING a backpack for motorcycling, save yourself some trouble and just go with the good stuff right from the get-go. I've got a R35 and R20 - both are outstanding. The R35 fits an AMAZING amount of poo poo and remains comfortable when heavily loaded down. To give you an idea of how big this bag really is, I've managed to (mostly) stuff a pair of motocross boots in mine before:

The 35 has been through hell and back over the past couple years. Tons of rain, cold weather, hot weather, loaded way the gently caress down, commuting, and through two crashes. It looks nearly new save for some bug guts on the chest pouch thinger.

I've been using the r20 more and more for everyday commuting type stuff. It's perfect for that where the 35 is a little huge. Not QUITE as comfortable as the 35 for heavy loads, but still does a great job.

Buy a loving Kriega backpack. How's that for a recommendation?!? :haw:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Aargh posted:

Yeah more Kriega love here. I've a R35 and the US20 tailpack.
Got this same setup, it owns, the US20 only comes off if I've got a rider or the bike's going into the shop.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

If anybody wants a cheaper alternative to Kriega, I highly recommend this backpack:
http://www.amazon.com/Level-III-Molle-Assault-Backpack--BLACK/dp/B000Q5UGQW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325612407&sr=8-2

My laptop is only 12" and fits with plenty of room for a sleeve, but it's probably too small for anything bigger than 13" or maybe 14". In addition, there's plenty of extra pockets for batteries, headphones, a couple books, my checkbook, etc. It also has waist and chest straps to keep the weight evenly distributed. It's not waterproof or anything like that, so I usually wear it under my rain slicker, but I've been caught in fairly heavy rain a few times now mid-ride, and it's gone 20 minutes easily without anything soaking through (when you're moving forward hardly any water hits your back anyways).

I've had mine for over 6 months now and it still feels like brand new. The only thing on it that's broken is one of the zipper pull strings (the zippers themselves are all still in great shape).

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

needknees posted:

[N
[/Nelson]
elson]
Ha-ha

Buy a loving Kriega backpack. How's that for a recommendation?!? :haw:

Ordered the R25, I don't need hueg or a smaller bag, but something in between, seemed to fit what I needed perfectly, and Kriega is offering free shipping till the end of January if anyone cares.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Trabant posted:

This is my first winter with a bike, so I was hoping someone could suggest a good base layer.

Long johns. I ride down to about 40f without a windshield and I use some lame Fred Meyer brand tights-looking long underwear things on bottom under kevlar jeans, and a Under Armor mock neck thing up top under my jacket and liner. Keeps my core nice and toasty without wiring myself to the bike.

More than 30 miles without finger warmers is killer though, I need to pick up some heated gloves one of these days.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

What do you guys use to condition leather? My Dainese jacket is getting stiff in the sleeves so I've tried conditioning with an old bottle of Vanson conditioner that I have. But it doesn't seem to be working very well after multiple applications.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

bung posted:

What do you guys use to condition leather? My Dainese jacket is getting stiff in the sleeves so I've tried conditioning with an old bottle of Vanson conditioner that I have. But it doesn't seem to be working very well after multiple applications.

Lexol, been using it for years and even my 25 year old Hein Gerike Dakar jacket is still looking/feeling great, http://www.lexol.com/

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 3, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Just ordered some of that cleaner from your post. Thanks for the advice! Now that I'm sporting full leather I figure it's a good idea to actually take care of it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I use the Armor-all stuff for leather car seats and it seems to do fine. Really I should be using saddle soap.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I've used lexol on anything that can take it and yes it is the best. If you're not using lexol you are ripping yourself off. Vinolex is good too for vinol (duh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
After all the Kriega love, I've ordered a US-30. Been wanting a big tailpack for a while because I've got a bad neck, and a bunch of Christmas/New Year's overtime and public holiday rates plus a new girlfriend who is 40min away by the beach made me pull the trigger. Should be good hopefully. I measured it up against the Lowepro Minitrekker pack I usually use and it's the same length and width, but twice as deep. Being able to mount the straps to the frame and just click it on and off rather than having to take the seat off will be great.