Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dickeye posted:

I figured Punk in Drublic would be assumed, but yeah I think So Long is their other best album, partly because even the bad songs are over in 75 seconds, and the best song is Champs Elysees.

Weird, I've never heard anyone having So Long as their 'go to' NOFX album. Might be an age thing? Most of my friends cite White Trash while I'm in the minority for going to Punk In Drublic because it was the first record of theirs I had.

Champs Elysees is a great track though. I think The Malachi Crunch off Ribbed is my favourite track of theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

RYYSZLA posted:

NOFX are this band I used to love until I realised the band I actually liked was Rancid, and NOFX were a bunch of completely different dudes I thought were rancid, Or was it them that did an album where they played each-others songs or something confusing like that? that one, they're good, but NOFX, im not so sure.

The thing about NOFX is that I'm pretty sure they could do a live set without any songs and still be fun those guys are pretty hilarious....

At there recent London show they demanded that my friend be crowdsurfed......the guy must weigh close to 30 stone (there are videos of this on YouTube) he cites it as one of the best moments of his life...

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.

Megiddo posted:

I went with Emo Lost But Not Forgotten. Mondays 6-8pm CDT on KXUA 88.3FM in Fayetteville/Northwest Arkansas starting this week. I guess I'd better start editing out the profanity now (if I can find any of it).
Here's the full playlist if anyone is curious about what I played. I was pretty rusty, said way too many umms and uhhs, but I think I managed to edit out all the profanity and play some pretty good music, so it went pretty well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Dag. That's a good playlist.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011
Terre promise is such a good song.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Chill Callahan posted:

Dag. That's a good playlist.

Agreed. Bonus points for playing Anomie.

Get some 1905 in there next week.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Count Your Lucky Stars is giving away their entire catalog on bandcamp if you sign up for their mailing list, 50 cents per album if you don't. There's a bunch of great stuff that's all over the punk/emo/hardcore spectrum, so you'll probably find something you like. It's only going on til the end of the week, though, so get on it. http://countyourluckystars.bandcamp.com/

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Play more Karate.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

The World is a Beautiful Place's new CD Whenever, If Ever is loving amazing.

http://topshelfrecords.bandcamp.com/album/whenever-if-ever

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Traitorous Leopard posted:

The World is a Beautiful Place's new CD Whenever, If Ever is loving amazing.

http://topshelfrecords.bandcamp.com/album/whenever-if-ever

I called this as album of the year after seeing them play a handful of new songs a couple months ago. Good to see that I was dead on. I'm not a "variant" type of collector but I ordered 4 copies of it yesterday (all 3 colors for me and an extra of the Clear w/blue green for my girlfriend).

Looks like they sold almost 2/3 of the first pressing in a day. Good for those guys. Been seeing them play in basements for the past 3 years, hopefully they're about to finally get huge.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Kevar posted:

I called this as album of the year after seeing them play a handful of new songs a couple months ago. Good to see that I was dead on. I'm not a "variant" type of collector but I ordered 4 copies of it yesterday (all 3 colors for me and an extra of the Clear w/blue green for my girlfriend).

Looks like they sold almost 2/3 of the first pressing in a day. Good for those guys. Been seeing them play in basements for the past 3 years, hopefully they're about to finally get huge.

Yeah by the time I woke up there was only the clear/green haze left. Bummed out to say the least, but pleased for them at the same time. Steamed it on bandcamp last night and it rules. Will wait for Dog Knights to get copies in the UK though

Hidden Mother
Nov 12, 2012

GOD IS BED posted:

Count Your Lucky Stars is giving away their entire catalog on bandcamp if you sign up for their mailing list, 50 cents per album if you don't. There's a bunch of great stuff that's all over the punk/emo/hardcore spectrum, so you'll probably find something you like. It's only going on til the end of the week, though, so get on it. http://countyourluckystars.bandcamp.com/

The Football Etc./Plaids split rules (Full disclosure: I'm good friends with the guitarist from Plaids). Super excited to finally get to see Football Etc. live this summer . Looking through that page reminds me how much great stuff CYLS put out, too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Any Michigoons going to Bled Fest this year? I've gone to the last two, but I'm really excited for this one. Lots of good emo bands and far less scene garbage than usual. Plus Andrew W.K.

My personal line-up:

Adventures (12:45-1:10)
Xerxes (2:35-3:00)
Sainthood Reps (3:00-3:25)
The World is a Beautiful Place & I am No Longer Afraid to Die (3:45-4:10)
Make Do and Mend (4:05-4:30)
Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) (4:50-5:15)
Dads (5:15-5:40)
Code Orange Kids (5:45-6:10)
Pianos Become the Teeth (6:35-7:00)
Andrew W.K. (8:00-8:30)
CityCop. (8:15-8:40)
Into It. Over It. (8:30-9:00)

fuckyoubitch
Mar 30, 2010

by T. Finninho
I know its heresay by now but am I the only one that wants separate threads for punk, hardcore, metlacore and the like? This is the music forum why do we need a huge megathread of jumbled genres that aren't even the same sounding really.

I like metalcore and post hardcore stuff, cant stand sifting through punk rock and black death metal poo poo and I'm sure there's plenty more out there who feel the same.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There is a separate metalcore thread.

fuckyoubitch
Mar 30, 2010

by T. Finninho

Henchman of Santa posted:

There is a separate metalcore thread.

Ah I was confused but that thread is still metalcore mixed with 50 other types of metal to sift through.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

fuckyoubitch posted:

Ah I was confused but that thread is still metalcore mixed with 50 other types of metal to sift through.

It's almost as if the majority of bands don't fit neatly into one nebulously defined genre label!

Any Michigoons going to Bled Fest this year? I've gone to the last two, but I'm really excited for this one. Lots of good emo bands and far less scene garbage than usual. Plus Andrew W.K.

My personal line-up:

That lineup is awesome and I would totally go to that if I lived anywhere near it.

fuckyoubitch
Mar 30, 2010

by T. Finninho

Inspector_71 posted:

It's almost as if the majority of bands don't fit neatly into one nebulously defined genre label!

Yeah, but theres still a huge difference between metal, metal core, black metal to allow separate threads.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

fuckyoubitch posted:

I know its heresay by now but am I the only one that wants separate threads for punk, hardcore, metlacore and the like? This is the music forum why do we need a huge megathread of jumbled genres that aren't even the same sounding really.

I like metalcore and post hardcore stuff, cant stand sifting through punk rock and black death metal poo poo and I'm sure there's plenty more out there who feel the same.

There's a "metal" thread which mostly covers death/thrash/progressive/trad/power metal and variations of all the above, there's a black metal thread, a doom/stoner thread, this thread, and a metalcore/deathcore thread. I think any more division is just going to get silly. It's not like any of these threads are particularly fast moving.

On topic: Is anyone else excited about the new More than Life album, I saw an update recently that they've finished tracking drums, I think.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

My personal line-up:

You make good choices.

Every time there's a fest like this in the Northeast its always just far enough away that I can't swing it. Or it's in Long Island.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You guys may enjoy this Australian band that my friend just linked me too:
http://perspectivesau.bandcamp.com/

Kim Jong-Chill
Nov 16, 2006

If you don't like swastikas then you DON'T DESERVE A TATTOO

answersyouseek posted:

My band Unholy Thoughts recorded an LP what seems like forever ago and it is finally going to be out soon on Even Worse Records. Here's a preview: http://unholythoughts.bandcamp.com

I know this was posted months ago but I just got around to listening to it and it rules.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Bled Fest was spectacular yesterday. I only got to see the last four songs of CityCop.'s set due to a change of time, but they were my favorite definitely. Saw about 15 minutes of Dads before leaving to get a decent spot for Code Orange Kids. Both were excellent. The World is a Beautiful Place & I am No Longer Afraid to Die were also fantastic.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

Kim Jong-Chill posted:

I know this was posted months ago but I just got around to listening to it and it rules.

Thanks dude we are about halfway done with writing a new LP now so when we start to record some stuff I'll post it up here so people can check it out.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Future of the Left are raising funds for a new album and are giving away some nice things. Also, there's an amusing video to encourage you to donate. I feel that as a huge fan of them I am obligated to post the link here http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/futureoftheleft/updates/22010?utm_campaign=project7260&utm_medium=activity&utm_source=facebook

Edit: They already reached the goal. That was loving quick, good for them.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 29, 2013

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I lurk this thread and I think a separate punk thread would be pretty swell because there are some awesome new advancements in punk lately. Then again I have no say in it since I think this is my first post here. Hi, everybody! I'm excited for the Fest this year, especially Andrew Jackson Jihad.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Why not just post here? It's not like we're going through 5 pages a day

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I don't know the first thing about emo or hardcore :ohdear: But I did just start checking out some of the bands mentioned in the last few pages!

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
I kind of feel the same way Lieutenant Dan does. I'm not into much of hardcore, emo, or screamo. It's cool and I sometimes check it out. Lately I've been listening to Chotto Ghetto a lot since finding them on Quote Unquote's website. But my interests lie more in old school punk, post-punk, folk punk, and contemporary non-hardcore punk; none of which this thread seems to have much interest in. So I mostly lurk and occasionally post when bands I like get mentioned. It's difficult to get the conversation developed though because other topics quickly appear which eclipse the momentary discussion.

Of course part of it is the case that classic punk has less of a following today simply because those bands, by and large, no longer exist. New music is shiny and exciting in contrast. The problem though is that while hardcore and punk might share distant roots today the genres have diverged so much that today the audiences, in my experience, have little cross over. In this thread we have two distinct groups (with hardcore fans in the majority) trying to share this same discussion space.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
People here like all sorts of poo poo, I wouldn't really make assumptions about that. I mean if you really want a new thread, then by all means go for it! I just don't see what's wrong with just using this one, seeing as it's already tagged as such and it's slow-moving, and always has been. We've had /emo/hardcore/pop-punk/punk/crust tangents before. People aren't that ADD that they can't follow topics in a thread which gets a new page per week/month.

No one's ever been talked down for talking punk in the punk thread unless it's scene stuff, which just gets redirected to the scene thread. It's just weird because every so often people will come in and say, "hey can we talk about this or create a new thread?" And instead of just going ahead and saying what they wanted to say, they're afraid it's not the right place for it for whatever reason, even if the title says that's what the thread is for.

Just talk about what you want to talk about and see if conversation picks up! I just don't really see the value in splintering a discussion group that's already one of the thinnest on the forums :)

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
I think it is mostly that certain genres seem to get overshadowed. Hardcore in the vein of stuff like Nails or crust bands tends to not get much attention in this thread, whereas there will be pages of Jimmy Eat World and NOFX or something. So when all you tend to see is that stuff, you tend to not even think some people in the thread may also be into that other stuff which I think discourages you from participating in the thread.

I personally tend to just ignore this thread unless someone brings up something along the lines of screamo, crust, grind etc.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Killsion posted:

I personally tend to just ignore this thread unless someone brings up something along the lines of screamo, crust, grind etc.

Yep, this is how it is for me too. This thread covers a surprisingly large range of music so it's cool and I don't think any of these threads are really active enough to warrant more anyway.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
So in the spirit jumping starting a discussion about something a bit different for this thread I'll tell you how I spent last weekend. It was spent reading. Occasionally my university isn't paying enough attention and I can sneak projects through that are mostly my own interests. This weekend it was the intersection of punk rock and Islam. I give you taqwacore.

Taqwacore is a term coined by author Michael Muhammad Knight in a novel he wrote about a fictional Islamic punk scene entitled "the Taqwacores." It's a pretty good book and a fun read. There's a movie version of it now too which is also pretty good, but I digress. Taqwacore is part of a third wave of Muslim punk music. Unlike Knight's vision of taqwacore which had bands concerned mostly with Islam as a religion, real taqwacore (some of which have embraced the label, others have denied it) tend to focus more on politics and culture. In terms of musical styles taqwacore has lots of different sounds.

The Kominas- Sharia Law in the USA

The Kominas- I Want a Handjob

Al-Thawra (crustcore-ish)- Beneach the Edifice

Secret Trial Five- Middle Eastern Zombies (edit- sorry for the bad quality, all their videos are live performances)

I'm not a Muslim nor am I from the Middle East but I'm really fascinated with this movement. It's been a long time since anyone in punk has been really provoking all of society but these bands are out there pissing off both Western society and the more conservative Islamic society. To close this post, have a video of the Taqwatour getting forced off the stage at a major North American Islamic convention by the cops after the convention officials decided they didn't like the tawqacore message.

Pigs are haram.

Hobbit fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 31, 2013

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
These are really cool. That Counterstrike sample really tops off Sharia Law.

I've only run into the opposite myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUk-LcIdMdI

Southy
Nov 18, 2012
The new This Routine is Hell album is brilliant. It's a little slower than what I'd usually associate with hardcore, but the sludginess totally fits.

http://bandcamp.thisroutineishell.com/releases

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
That Taqwacore is really cool. The Kominas remind me a bit of a Middle Eastern The World/Friendship Inferno Society.

Lieutenant Dan fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 31, 2013

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

FedoraDefender420 posted:

These are really cool. That Counterstrike sample really tops off Sharia Law.

I've only run into the opposite myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUk-LcIdMdI

This is cool. I'm a sucker for documentaries so I hope this gets distributed soon. I've heard rumors of some pretty interesting punk/hardcore bands from Israel but I couldn't name any of them. Anyone know any?

Lieutenant Dan posted:

That Taqwacore is really cool. The Kominas remind me a bit of a Middle Eastern The World/Friendship Inferno Society.

I've never really thought of the Kominas like that until now, but you're right. One thing I left out of my last post was that the Kominas (with a slightly different line up, I think) actually tried a tour of Pakistan. Although the people who turned up at their shows were pretty positive to them the tour was otherwise fraught with problems, many caused by fundamentalists. IIRC one of their gigs might even have been bombed.

My academic project on punk rock and history is continuing this weekend. If I find anything cool maybe I'll share it.

Otherwise punk goons, I have a request. Does anyone know where I can find a video of Stiff Little Fingers performing "At the Edge" on Top of the Pops (1980)? It's been pulled off Youtube for copyright poo poo and my Google-fu has failed me.

And a song: "We Are the Clash" reimagined and reworked by Sparks off of Uncut Magazine's 2003 tribute to the Clash cd.

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

Southy posted:

The new This Routine is Hell album is brilliant. It's a little slower than what I'd usually associate with hardcore, but the sludginess totally fits.

http://bandcamp.thisroutineishell.com/releases

Sludge/doom and hardcore have been crossing paths a shitload lately, Code Orange Kids and Full of Hell and probably the best examples of this. I think it's because sludge in general has been kind of an awakening giant lately.

Black metal and punk have been getting along too, in a much smaller way.

I've been really digging these dudes take on it. A dash of screamo for good measure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z4lLyFt8sI

and here's one from the black metal thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf0EnvcpjGM

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jellidelic posted:

Sludge/doom and hardcore have been crossing paths a shitload lately, Code Orange Kids and Full of Hell and probably the best examples of this. I think it's because sludge in general has been kind of an awakening giant lately.

Slightly off topic, but I was just listening to the Code Orange Kids/Full of Hell split and it easily has my favorite COK material. I really like it, Cycles and their song from the 4-way split a lot more than their LP. I think they're just one of those bands that's better as a singles band than an album band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Jellidelic posted:

I've been really digging these dudes take on it. A dash of screamo for good measure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z4lLyFt8sI

Birds in Row are really good. I saw them open for COK/Defeater/Touche Amore a while back having no idea who they were and I was really impressed.