Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It's from the desk bar. The tabletop and legs are sold separately.

The point behind the pegs is to make the tabletop slant adjustable (to make a writing or drafting/drawing surface). It doesn't go high enough to be a standing desk in its stock form, but lots of people mod theirs to do so. Kits are available online but I think the DIY instructions are also easy to find and carry out if you're relatively tool-savvy.

The desk bar doesn't get enough recommendation, I think, but it's a good place to get a relatively sturdy, attractive desk cheaply. I've had mine for about 3 years and I've been super happy with it.

Have links for it? Currently at work where ikea is blocked :/ How much did it run? Was going to get a gladiator workbench but I missed the sale.

Edit: never mind found it. Looks like around $100 which is pretty good! Guess I'll be making a trip to ikea this week.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces/11844/
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces/11845/

Etrips fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Etrips posted:

Iirc that is an ikea desk right? Which model is that?
It's the Linnmon/Finnvard. It's really nice. Here's the link: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S09001986/#/S19047309. It comes in different color options, but I reckon black table top+beech stands is the nicest combo. :)

Cheers for the compliments guys!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It's from the desk bar. The tabletop and legs are sold separately.

Nope, it's a full desk set from Ikea (LINNMON/FINNVARD). It is adjustable, which is really nice. I paid £75 for it, which is around $100? I love it.

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 7, 2015

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
[quote="awesome-express" post="449893576"
Nope, it's a full desk set from Ikea (LINNMON/FINNVARD). It is adjustable, which is really nice. I paid £75 for it, which is around $100? I love it.
[/quote]

Nope, it's from the desk bar and the components can be, and are officially, purchased separately. LINNMON and FINNVARD are separate products.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Nope, it's from the desk bar and the components can be, and are officially, purchased separately. LINNMON and FINNVARD are separate products.
I'm slightly confused since I bought the whole set, as one unit, from Ikea?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

They are in a different country. (assuming you are referring to the US)

edit: Also how does the top connect to the base? Does it screw in to the adjustable height posts?

Etrips fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 7, 2015

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

awesome-express posted:

I'm slightly confused since I bought the whole set, as one unit, from Ikea?

Ok, so what I mean is that it's still technically two products/lines. In most places, Ikea bundles them as one item online (and maybe in the store, as a showcase combination) but you still have to pull the individual legs out of one bin in the warehouse area and the tabletop from another if you're buying them at the store in person, and they get rung up separately.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=FINNVARD

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=LINNMON

Table bar legs

Table bar tops

I could just as easily buy a FINNVARD/GERTON or whatever. And the combined price of the full desk is just the cost of the chosen tabletop + the legs.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
How much do the 8 foot gladiators sell for when they're on sale? Found one on Craigslist that I'll probably pick up, but don't want to make sure I'm not paying more than I can get it on sale.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Triikan posted:

How much do the 8 foot gladiators sell for when they're on sale? Found one on Craigslist that I'll probably pick up, but don't want to make sure I'm not paying more than I can get it on sale.

I know Home Depot has them go on sale for 20% when they do.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Triikan posted:

$500+ depending on the surface and variant. Bamboo is more, but they go on sale erratically which knocks off 25% or so.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
Who here has one or more of those Korean 27" monitors? (or even the dell/hp/etc equivalents)

I'm looking for a monitor stand that won't suck. I currently only have one monitor, but have been considering either ditching it for 2 u2515H's or similar asus; or finding a second one and a good monitor arm mount.

I see Amazon has a dual monitor arm now, and I wonder if it's any good.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Tedronai66 posted:

Who here has one or more of those Korean 27" monitors? (or even the dell/hp/etc equivalents)

I'm looking for a monitor stand that won't suck. I currently only have one monitor, but have been considering either ditching it for 2 u2515H's or similar asus; or finding a second one and a good monitor arm mount.

I see Amazon has a dual monitor arm now, and I wonder if it's any good.

That looks like a simple re-brand of the Ergotron LX dual-monitor, replacing the silver with black parts. In that case, it's sturdy and good, the Ergotron arms are absolutely amazing pieces of engineering. That said, I have no idea how well that would work with those 27" monitors, make sure to check the maximum weight allowances!

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

General Tofu posted:

You definitely like the blue-black color scheme like I do. Nice keyboard - I guess you mixed and matched the keycaps to get that effect? Looks like you painted the side of that Cooler Master faceplate to navy blue, too? I don't think they sell them like that. Nice look!

Thanks! You're right about the keyboard; it's a Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid and I just replaced the letter rows with some double shot ABS keycaps from Massdrop. As for the PC case it's a fairly old Cooler Master Centurion 5. Black with blue accents was one of the standard colors it came in but the accents are anodized aluminum which can appear as different shades based on viewing angle or lighting. In that picture it just happens to look like a much deeper blue than it actually is.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

benisntfunny posted:

Hurray for a new desk.

I work from home. Had to have a more private/better office space. Old one was right off the kitchen where the wife could easily yell at me. Luckily I had an old basement

A real piece of poo poo. We put up some better framing. That made it better. Still a fuckload of spiders though.

Added dry wall helps keep the spiders hidden.

But finally the whole thing got finished... mostly.. spindles are missing on stairs and a few other little things.. but it's definitely useable. Still lots of spiders.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
argh why are pictures blurry

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Very nice looking.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

what are you using the smallish ACER monitor for?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That looks loving boss but that huge rear end barrel is not doing it for me. I want it to but it's not because it's just so huge.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
That barrel screams "I really want this but my wife hates it and told me to make it disappear"

It's ok, I have that same problem with my homemade arcade cabinet.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Photex posted:

what are you using the smallish ACER monitor for?

Touch screen to control poo poo around the house. It's pretty useless I just thought it would be cool. Originally I had it to measure keg levels but wife vetoed my keg in the wall plans when she found out (there's a fridge behind the wall)

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

I wanna be up in that

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

That homeoffice/man cave owns. Very nice work :)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

ddiddles posted:

I wanna be up in that

it makes me sad that my whole house is not much bigger than one corner of that place.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Finally got a motorized sit/stand desk and its super nice.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

This looks great.

What is the best place to shop for desks? I'm probably due for an upgrade myself.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Fano posted:

This looks great.

What is the best place to shop for desks? I'm probably due for an upgrade myself.

I personally got that desk and chair at IKEA.

Desk:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19022530/

Chair:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00103102/

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Thanks, I might consider taking a look, my current desk has one of those pull out trays which does nothing but scratch my legs as I scoot in and out, this looks much more comfortable to deal with.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

benisntfunny posted:

I work from home. Had to have a more private/better office space. Old one was right off the kitchen where the wife could easily yell at me. Luckily I had an old basement
drat, that looks great. Did you do that all yourself? Where'd you learn?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

That speaker setup :barf:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

That speaker setup :barf:

What's wrong?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Audio quality is probably most likely sub-par.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

I personally got that desk and chair at IKEA.

Desk:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19022530/

So I'm between this desk and the Jarvis which is about $210 more expensive with the options I've chosen. The biggest thing I've read is that the motor is far less likely to break in the first few months, I'm guessing the materials are much higher quality but I can't honestly say.

I'm not that big a penny pincher but I'm trying to justify spending $740 on a desk versus the seemingly much more reasonable ~$539. Has anybody had any experiences with the Jarvis? Is this the right thread to be asking this?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'd say it's worth considering the Jarvis for the programmable presets alone if you think you'll be switching modes a lot, but otherwise I can't say if there's any significant difference between it and the Ikea desk.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Fano posted:

So I'm between this desk and the Jarvis which is about $210 more expensive with the options I've chosen. The biggest thing I've read is that the motor is far less likely to break in the first few months, I'm guessing the materials are much higher quality but I can't honestly say.

I'm not that big a penny pincher but I'm trying to justify spending $740 on a desk versus the seemingly much more reasonable ~$539. Has anybody had any experiences with the Jarvis? Is this the right thread to be asking this?

The Ikea desk has a 10 year warranty, so a motor failure shouldn't be an issue.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

beepsandboops posted:

drat, that looks great. Did you do that all yourself? Where'd you learn?
No not alone. Don't have enough time. Worked with a neighbor who is semi retired. He's worked on a lot of older homes (mine is 130 years old) and is good at getting poo poo level because that's the hardest part in old homes.

He also did the entirety of the upstairs stuff I didn't show.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
6-year user of electric sit/stand desks checking in. If you switch between sit/stand on a regular basis (say, twice a day or more), it is very useful to own the presets, as you'll end up spending a lot of time getting into your preferred height each switch. A low-tech option is to use something in reference to the room to get the heights (e.g., a visible mark on the walls at each desk height).

That said, I really enjoy the presets. I often can set it, grab a glass of water and everything's ready.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Nitrousoxide posted:

What's wrong?

everything.

:smugdog:

I like putting things on walls.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
Your monitors are at different angles, distances, and heights. :smugdog:

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

heh yeah I'm considering moving the computer to the floor on the right under the pullout section of desk so I can space them better, only got that setup last week. It hasn't bothered me much though.. yet

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Varg posted:

heh yeah I'm considering moving the computer to the floor on the right under the pullout section of desk so I can space them better, only got that setup last week. It hasn't bothered me much though.. yet
Get better ears Helen Keller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

haha it's not like I can't notice it, I just have to dedicate more time to clean before rearranging again :negative:

which you people are going to make me do tonight I'm sure