Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DreadCthulhu posted:

That's a good guess! The name does seem similar but no, I remember this game being a weird adventure puzzler thing. Something like Adam's [...] or along those lines.

Moraff's Entrap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WL-Ye7O6EE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

An indie PC game from... like 5 or so years ago, maybe. It's a sci-fi RPG. The cutscenes between fights looked visual novel-ish, with the character sprites standing behind a text box. The art style was more american comic than anime. I remember watching a big time LP-er playing it (Vinesauce maybe?)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Planet Stronghold?

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Yeah, that was it. It looks... not-good, huh.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Made for a decent LP though

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This'll be a stretch, but trying to remember this PC game I played in the mid to late 00's that was going for a Battlefield kind of thing with vehicles and tons of weapons, probably 32 players on a map, but I think it was made by a Russain team and ended up being god awful and barely worked from what I remember. It had lots of promise pre-release maybe with a demo or something but released into obscurity where it was promptly forgotten.

Edit: Oh it was Soldner: Secret Wars lol

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 3, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a game stuck in my head lately that I played the demo for way back in the day, but I cannot find record of at all.

It was a racing game, maybe mid to late 90's? I played it on PC, very polygonal graphics, possibly even untextured if memory serves. I remember the game being from a non-us studio, although I couldnt tell you the actual country of origin, but the kicker is the games name was an acronym, I believe, a.b.c., XYZ, something like that. You werent supposed to be able to, but for some reason you could drive up any incline with minimal to no loss of traction, so I spent hours exploring the outskirts of the track where I wasnt supposed to be. The demo track was in a rocky/forested area and the cars were based off real cars. I believe the demo car might have been a viper, or at lead the games knockoff of a viper?

Someone in the retro thread suggested P.O.D., but it wasnt that

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have a game stuck in my head lately that I played the demo for way back in the day, but I cannot find record of at all.

It was a racing game, maybe mid to late 90's? I played it on PC, very polygonal graphics, possibly even untextured if memory serves. I remember the game being from a non-us studio, although I couldnt tell you the actual country of origin, but the kicker is the games name was an acronym, I believe, a.b.c., XYZ, something like that. You werent supposed to be able to, but for some reason you could drive up any incline with minimal to no loss of traction, so I spent hours exploring the outskirts of the track where I wasnt supposed to be. The demo track was in a rocky/forested area and the cars were based off real cars. I believe the demo car might have been a viper, or at lead the games knockoff of a viper?

Someone in the retro thread suggested P.O.D., but it wasnt that

Viper Racing?

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
90's, PC, acronym & Viper make me think of N.I.C.E 2, without the acronym of Test Drive 4, but I don't think either had too much outskirts you could have explored.

Of course there was also Viper Racing, but that only has Vipers (and great dynamic deformation for its time).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

NICE 2 THATS IT!! Thank you!! I havent been able to recall that name for years now!!!

Now to hop on Youtube and realize its all rose colored nostalgia :smith:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I've tried asking about this before, but don't think I ever got it answered, so here goes, again.

This game was for the PC, most likely the 90s. You had a party of 4 kids, I believe, in an Eye of the Beholder style game (2D images faking a 3D environment) where you fought things like snakes, picked up gems and explored some sort of labyrinth. You could find eggs to eat, to restore health. But sometimes those eggs hatched new snakes when held in your inventory, so if one of them started hatching you had to eat them quick. I'm not sure if what I played was a demo or shareware.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

evilmiera posted:

I've tried asking about this before, but don't think I ever got it answered, so here goes, again.

This game was for the PC, most likely the 90s. You had a party of 4 kids, I believe, in an Eye of the Beholder style game (2D images faking a 3D environment) where you fought things like snakes, picked up gems and explored some sort of labyrinth. You could find eggs to eat, to restore health. But sometimes those eggs hatched new snakes when held in your inventory, so if one of them started hatching you had to eat them quick. I'm not sure if what I played was a demo or shareware.

Knightmare, based off the british TV show perhaps?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

evilmiera posted:

This sounds like The Inside World. (No screenshots of the snakes, unfortunately).

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Nostalgamus posted:

This sounds like The Inside World. (No screenshots of the snakes, unfortunately).

It might very well be this! I'll have to have a look and see if I can find more details on it.

Edit: The presentation looks similar at least, and I'm fairly certain the gems to use magic thing was also there. If it isn't this game, then at least its a predecessor or close enough. Too bad the version on archive.org breaks all the colors in the game to an ugly blend.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 7, 2018

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The game I'm trying to remember was an early-mid 90's medieval FPS. You had swordsd, a shield, etc and you fought goblins and other standard d&d monsters. I remember the only way to get the Halberd was for an enemy to throw it at you and have it stick, then you had to pull it out and you could use it as a weapon. It also might have been a sequel to another game but I can't remember. It 100% is not Heretic or Hexen, it came a little while after both of those games.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The game I'm trying to remember was an early-mid 90's medieval FPS. You had swordsd, a shield, etc and you fought goblins and other standard d&d monsters. I remember the only way to get the Halberd was for an enemy to throw it at you and have it stick, then you had to pull it out and you could use it as a weapon. It also might have been a sequel to another game but I can't remember. It 100% is not Heretic or Hexen, it came a little while after both of those games.

Maybe Witchhaven or its sequel?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

boof posted:

Maybe Witchhaven or its sequel?

It was totally Witchhaven 2, thank you!

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I'm thinking of a 2-d space exploration game, it was from around the same time as the Scunny Squirrel games (maybe on the same shareware compilation disk) Graphically the game looked like the early Wing Commander games but the perspective was outside the ship. When you encountered other ships and aliens you selected from a list of dialogue options. I remember their being an cloaked alien ship very close to where you started and if your ship was destroyed you had a chance to pilot and escape pod.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Baka-nin posted:

I'm thinking of a 2-d space exploration game, it was from around the same time as the Scunny Squirrel games (maybe on the same shareware compilation disk) Graphically the game looked like the early Wing Commander games but the perspective was outside the ship. When you encountered other ships and aliens you selected from a list of dialogue options. I remember their being an cloaked alien ship very close to where you started and if your ship was destroyed you had a chance to pilot and escape pod.

When you mention Wing Commander and "outside the ship" are you talking top down? Star Control 2 came out around the time of Skunny (I can't believe Copysoft still exists and sells that game for $5) and within the first 5 minutes you're attacked by an alien hanging out in the area.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Yeah I meant top down, I checked out Star Control 2 and it isn't it, the graphics look similar but you were confined to one map and I don't remember any planets just asteroids and space ships. The alien ship decloaks (like in star trek) and hails you, you can't annoy them into attacking you based on dialogue choices or just fire on his ship. There weren't any cutscenes either, the dialogue would be talking heads on the interface bar while both ships floated out in space.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming you're talking DOS/early Windows here so it couldn't be an Escape Velocity.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Solar Winds.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Yeah that period, I played it on a Windows 98 pc, and I used to but discounted games that had been out for a few years prior so early to mid 90s. The only other things I can remember was the alien ship being blueish, and there was a human faction that were terrorists.

Edit: You're right, it was Solar Winds! Thank you.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Baka-nin posted:

Yeah that period, I played it on a Windows 98 pc, and I used to but discounted games that had been out for a few years prior so early to mid 90s. The only other things I can remember was the alien ship being blueish, and there was a human faction that were terrorists.

Edit: You're right, it was Solar Winds! Thank you.

I remembered the "alien ship decloaks and confronts you" because that was one of the two parts of that game I saw (the other was running into one of those red pods that killed me every time because I didn't understand how to play).

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
A top down space game from the 90s, where start off in a grey shuttle that is very boxy, and a ship flies out of nowhere and screams something like "die you non shareware paying scum!". There was a weapon called Particle Beam.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

A top down space game from the 90s, where start off in a grey shuttle that is very boxy, and a ship flies out of nowhere and screams something like "die you non shareware paying scum!". There was a weapon called Particle Beam.

Captain Hector only killed you if you attacked him, right? Otherwise he just followed you around everywhere and nagged you.

That reminds me, I never did play EV Override, just the original and Nova. Wonder if I might have missed out on the best one.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah, that's the original Escape Velocity. I'm pretty sure the Particle Beam was a plotline item if you took the Confederation's side, and it fired a blue hitscan beam that drained your fuel supply.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

Captain Hector only killed you if you attacked him, right? Otherwise he just followed you around everywhere and nagged you.

That reminds me, I never did play EV Override, just the original and Nova. Wonder if I might have missed out on the best one.

EV Override was extremely grindy since advancing the plot required you to have a certain combat rating (probably not the right terminology) which in turn required you to gently caress off to unpatrolled space and kill pirates for hours.

EV Nova is probably the best of the three if you use a guide to avoid getting pulled into the terrible psyker storyline. Although these days if you want to scratch the Escape Velocity itch you could also play Endless Sky, which is free and very much a love letter to the EV games.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Starsector is my favorite EV clone.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'm going to have to play one or both of those. Overall I liked EV Nova, but I remember the writing being terrible, and yeah, it's really nasty how they tricked you into that one plot branch. I don't know if I could go back to it now.

Now if someone could just release games that are love letters to Glider PRO, Chrysanthemum, and System's Twilight, that'll scratch all my Death of Apple-era itches.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

dis astranagant posted:

Starsector is my favorite EV clone.

Calling it an EV clone is kinda misleading. It's about as far from those games as you can get while still being a single-player top-down 2-d space game. EV is a space RPG, while Starsector is more of a strategy/action game with RPG elements.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Rollersnake posted:

love letters to ... System's Twilight

This is kind of running the thread concept in reverse, but System's Twilight was the love letter, to Cliff Johnson's games The Fool's Errand and 3 in Three.

EDIT: And now that I check, The Fool's Errand got a recent sequel called The Fool and his Money.

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 19, 2018

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Unreal_One posted:

Calling it an EV clone is kinda misleading. It's about as far from those games as you can get while still being a single-player top-down 2-d space game. EV is a space RPG, while Starsector is more of a strategy/action game with RPG elements.

The rest of the RPG is coming but the dev wants to get all the systems done first. He clearly has some stories he wants to tell.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
A recent steam game for a change; It was 3D, colorful, and, I think, puzzle-oriented, with a focal point of art being some sort of white monolith looking things with holes in them. Not the Witness. I think you may play a kid with an animal sidekick.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Rime?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biPr3V7-IXI

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
I have one that's been eluding me for decades, maybe y'all can help. I played it with my brother once I think as a kid in the 90s, most likely on PC. Probably a children's game - I think it was FMV 3d animation, involving two kids with rayman-like armless floating hands. It all took place over a black-background, very late 80s/early 90's 3d aesthetic. There may have been an anthromorphic paintbrush, but that could very well be incorrect kid memories.

That's about all the reliable information I've got - whenever I think about this game I get lost in a whirlpool of trying to figure out what is real and what I imagined was later in the game, since I'm pretty sure i only played either shareware or a demo. If one of you knows this game you will be closing the book on something that's occasionally been in the back of my head for most of my life.

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 8, 2018

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Hard Clumping posted:

I have one that's been eluding me for decades, maybe y'all can help. I played it with my brother once I think as a kid in the 90s, most likely on PC. Probably a children's game - I think it was FMV 3d animation, involving two kids with rayman-like armless floating hands. It all took place over a black-background, very late 80s/early 90's 3d aesthetic. There may have been an anthromorphic paintbrush, but that could very well be incorrect kid memories.

That's about all the reliable information I've got - whenever I think about this game I get lost in a whirlpool of trying to figure out what is real and what I imagined was later in the game, since I'm pretty sure i only played either shareware or a demo. If one of you knows this game you will be closing the book on something that's occasionally been in the back of my head for most of my life.

Makes me think of Spacekids

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I played this pixely RPG back in the day. Looked kinda like Castle of the Winds. You make a team of various races - pretty sure hobbits were one and they were my favourite because they were super fast. It was turnbased and (I think?) grid locked, and when you encountered the enemies you'd go into a separate map and fight them. I remember one of the classes was some word I'd never heard of which was something like Ashikari (That's probably not actually it though) and characters of that class tended to hit a whole bunch of times with one attack. The combat was definitely not gridlocked. I think I played a shareware version that had a very limited area.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
http://netsilik.nl/Aethra/ ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I think this is it!

EDIT: Dang, apparently the creator pretty much abandoned it.

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 20, 2018